The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Top 50 Canucks of All-Time - #43

Rate this topic

-AJ-

Top 50 Canucks of All-Time - #43  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the #43 Canuck of All-Time?

• D. Hamhuis
    • E. Pettersson
    • G. Smith
    • M. Cooke
    • C. Fraser
    • I. Larionov
    • C. Oddleifson
    • R. Lanz
    • K. McCarthy
    • D. Murzyn

This poll is closed to new votes

People really need to let go of what Cooke has done on other teams... 

He spent over a decade in our system folks...

FREE THE COOKER! 

Nominating John Garret if I didn't already 

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, apollo said:

People really need to let go of what Cooke has done on other teams... 

He spent over a decade in our system folks...

FREE THE COOKER! 

Nominating John Garret if I didn't already 

Well in that case Murzyn vs Cook needs to be considered too (a decade of service too).  
He basically had the same job Tanevs had for the past decade. A shutdown top pairing prime Linden era defenseman.  Regularly led or was close to the team lead in plus minus while he was here - and did things Tanev isn’t willing to do (not often at least).   A decade as top four - or the other guy on the top pairing actually (Lumme Murzyn played together for a very long time) .. I’m not even voting for him (yet) because I believe others on this list are more deserving.  

Apollo I’m not trying to pick on you or Cook.    And don’t give consider  about what else he did after he left (in fact I’m impressed he stayed in the league as long as he did / those intangibles teams obviously felt were worth the risk).   Torres played like he did too -one the edge - but also fell off it a few times.   But really he’s the last guy on this list that deserves votes even with the longevity- and there are several others not in yet I’d also consider greater Canucks.   

Your one of my favourite posters in here given your undying love for the Sedins, Edler and the WCE era.  However I think when it comes to middle six players Cook wasn’t as many we’ve had over the years (Fraser says hi from existing voting options).   He was decent - even pretty good -  and my sister wanted to marry him ha ha - but really for one example - Momesso’s five years was more endearing for me personally.  Cook stirred the pot and then went slithering away, expecting someone else to back it up and it was tiresome after awhile - same with his teammates on several teams including ours.   Guerin threw him under the bus ... and he infuriated Mario Lemieux when he made him a total hypocrite ... these things existed while he played for us too. 

Momesso hit it head on and kept players from hurting Ronning.  And hit harder without leaving his feet - then dropped the gloves if his opponent didn’t like it.  And PGP were not bad - AND played his part in our 1994 run.  

Cook is high  in games played - but we also need to consider what others did in a few less years ... middle six players are not the cream of the crop ..Cook I’d have in 60-70’s.  Sandlak is getting his due at the moment with nominations and who wouldn’t want him on their team? Maybe he’s polarizing.  But really we’ve had some great players over the years and Cook in the top 50 means other greater players are not getting considered enough for me personally.  Sorry Apollo.  Don’t mean to pick on you.  Just can’t imagine a world where Cook is a top 50 all-time greatest Canuck and when your pumping his tires with those guys still not nominated plus the ones on the list I just can’t keep quiet / even though I truly admire you as a proud member and constant protector of the Sedins legacy. 

• Like 1

• -AJ- locked this topic