Sign in to follow this  
-AJ-

Top 50 Canucks of All-Time - #44

Rate this topic

Top 50 Canucks of All-Time - #44  

53 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, apollo said:

@IBatch made a very good case for Dana Murzyn and after looking him up in some more detail, I certainly have new found respect for him. The Tanev comparison is pretty accurate too I'd say... both defensive dman with long tenures.

 

That being said the fan in me has to get Matt Cooke in. He's played far more games than anyone remaining on this list for us ~100 more than the next closest guys in Oddleifson and Dana. He's had plenty of memorable moments and always stood up for his team mates... despite his size.

 

I still remember that 2003 Game 1... he was incredible. I remember jumping up and down in joy, rushing to the home phone and dialing up my best friend and both of us just hysterically yelling in joy to one another over the phone. Then stayed on the phone until

 

 

I'll nominate shortly... need to give it some thought!

i was lucky enough to be at that game... I was 12 but it was still so epic. IIRC Trent Klatt scored in OT on a deflection from the slot.

 

I voted Pettersson. One of only 2 Canucks to win the Calder, already a top player in his 2nd year.

 

I am on board with the Martin Gelinas nomination.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, apollo said:

@IBatch made a very good case for Dana Murzyn and after looking him up in some more detail, I certainly have new found respect for him. The Tanev comparison is pretty accurate too I'd say... both defensive dman with long tenures.

 

That being said the fan in me has to get Matt Cooke in. He's played far more games than anyone remaining on this list for us ~100 more than the next closest guys in Oddleifson and Dana. He's had plenty of memorable moments and always stood up for his team mates... despite his size.

 

I still remember that 2003 Game 1... he was incredible. I remember jumping up and down in joy, rushing to the home phone and dialing up my best friend and both of us just hysterically yelling in joy to one another over the phone. Then stayed on the phone until

 

 

I'll nominate shortly... need to give it some thought!

Thanks for taking the time to do some research.   He wasn’t my favourite player during his time here (Dana) but he was certainly reliable - and really did whatever it takes for the team - and the old Rolling Stones song “don’t know what until it’s gone” was certainly applicable with him - standing up for his teammates was in his DNA.  Check out a montage of a game in 1995 where Peca nailed Selanne (think it was Feb)...he was involved just like everyone else.   
 

Voting by your heart at this stage is absolutely understandable.  Cooke scored some wickedly  timely goals for us.  Those moments never leave you.  

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After looking through the stats if the remaining players... Half of which I didn't see play (or remember anyway), I just feel that Petey has already shown that he belongs in the top 45 players.

Nominate: Martin Gelinas 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Vote Smith

 

Nominate Boldirev

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Hogs & Podz said:

After looking through the stats if the remaining players... Half of which I didn't see play (or remember anyway), I just feel that Petey has already shown that he belongs in the top 45 players.

Nominate: Martin Gelinas 

I actually have him in my top 45 as well, but there are a few other guys I'd have above him, hence why I'm not voting for him, but I think if you seriously look at what he's done in two years and compare it to other Canucks, it's hard to make a case he's not at least fighting for the Top 50 already.

  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For me this came down to Smith & Pettersson. I ended up voting Pettersson.

 

As far as nomination. I'm inclined to nominate Cloutier (Loved him back when I was growing up, my favourite player alongside Jovo) but does he really have a good enough case over Jacob Markstrom? If I'm rating goalies on skill he's behind Markstrom isn't he? And probably Schneider too? He basically played from 01-04, Markstrom now has been the starter for 3 years and has been exceptional for 2.

 

I'd be more inclined to nominate Markstrom or even Hughes (based on him scoring 50 as a rookie & being something we've never had) over Cloutier/Ehrhoff/Cooke. 

 

Marky vs Hughes? I'm gunna give the edge to Marky for now. Nominating Marky. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

For me this came down to Smith & Pettersson. I ended up voting Pettersson.

 

As far as nomination. I'm inclined to nominate Cloutier (Loved him back when I was growing up, my favourite player alongside Jovo) but does he really have a good enough case over Jacob Markstrom? If I'm rating goalies on skill he's behind Markstrom isn't he? And probably Schneider too? He basically played from 01-04, Markstrom now has been the starter for 3 years and has been exceptional for 2.

 

I'd be more inclined to nominate Markstrom or even Hughes (based on him scoring 50 as a rookie & being something we've never had) over Cloutier/Ehrhoff/Cooke. 

 

Marky vs Hughes? I'm gunna give the edge to Marky for now. Nominating Marky. 

 

For what it's worth, I have the goalies as follows (in rough tiers / categories) for Greatest Canuck...

 

Luongo / McLean / Brodeur

Smith

Markstrom / Schneider

Maniago / Cloutier / Hanlon

Garrett / Dunc Wilson / Ryan Miller

Steve Weeks / Auld

Gary Bromley / Charlie Hodge

Caprice

Gamble / Ridley / Gardner

Lack / Hirsch

 

 

  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

 

For what it's worth, I have the goalies as follows (in rough tiers / categories) for Greatest Canuck...

 

Luongo / McLean / Brodeur

Smith

Markstrom / Schneider

Maniago / Cloutier / Hanlon

Garrett / Dunc Wilson / Ryan Miller

Steve Weeks / Auld

Gary Bromley / Charlie Hodge

Caprice

Gamble / Ridley / Gardner

Lack / Hirsch

 

 

I have it about the same, though I didn't go into as much depth as you have. Great list.

  • Vintage 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.