The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2020 Canucks draft pick

Rate this topic

kurtzfan

8 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Well that pick may actually be very important to us.

We are going to be in a very tight cap squeeze this summer and are going to need to unload some contracts. That first round pick could play a factor whether fans like it or not.

If Eriksson refuses to retire we may need to pay to unload it. I hate it but if it means being able to re-sign key players like Markstrom, Tanev, Toffoli, and Virtanen, it may be necessary.

Hell no. We won’t be throwing in a 1st to dump a player to extend a contract to a current player. JB would never do that.

You’re basically saying we are using an additional 1st pick in addition to whatever was originally used to acquire the player (draft or trade) for the purpose of signing that same player. Not happening 

15 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Well that pick may actually be very important to us.

We are going to be in a very tight cap squeeze this summer and are going to need to unload some contracts. That first round pick could play a factor whether fans like it or not.

If Eriksson refuses to retire we may need to pay to unload it. I hate it but if it means being able to re-sign key players like Markstrom, Tanev, Toffoli, and Virtanen, it may be necessary.

We can sign those guys with or without LE in the picture - maybe with a modest cap dump in Bear or trade Roussel or both ... Leivo is obviously gone too.  We can also play with a shortened bench or with less players depending on how tight against the cap we are - think that’s what TO did this year.   It means we lose a bit in depth.  Bears agent is pushing to get him back on an NHL team...yes we tried twice to get a bite and nobody did.  Hard to say how he will do it and if he will even try with all of them but it would sure be nice.   Tanev seems the odd man out given his history but then we’d need that money for his replacement.   If LE won’t retire at the end of this season then we’d probably have to do a Marleau deal then. 

6 hours ago, grandmaster said:

Hell no. We won’t be throwing in a 1st to dump a player to extend a contract to a current player. JB would never do that.

You’re basically saying we are using an additional 1st pick in addition to whatever was originally used to acquire the player (draft or trade) for the purpose of signing that same player. Not happening 

The team might have no other choice if LE refuses to retire and wants to play out his entire contract.  They shouldn’t have too much trouble adding TT, paying Markstrom, raise to JV and re-signing or replacing Tanev - but even that is going to cost us something - picks or prospects to take Bear and Roussel off the books to fit them in.   

When EPs up LE will have to be traded. Or Miller or Horvat.   Which actually is another route to consider.   We wouldn’t lose a pick - we’d gain a pick.  But we’d also take one step forward and two back if we went that direction.  Until Luongo and LE are off the books this team has a thumb pressed stiffly on its neck capwise.   The bright side is : hopefully that means no crazy contracts including to TT or other mid-star range UFA forwards (defense - we might need that) and the money is safely put away for when we will need it the most. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

The team might have no other choice if LE refuses to retire and wants to play out his entire contract.  They shouldn’t have too much trouble adding TT, paying Markstrom, raise to JV and re-signing or replacing Tanev - but even that is going to cost us something - picks or prospects to take Bear and Roussel off the books to fit them in.   

When EPs up LE will have to be traded. Or Miller or Horvat.   Which actually is another route to consider.   We wouldn’t lose a pick - we’d gain a pick.  But we’d also take one step forward and two back if we went that direction.  Until Luongo and LE are off the books this team has a thumb pressed stiffly on its neck capwise.   The bright side is : hopefully that means no crazy contracts including to TT or other mid-star range UFA forwards (defense - we might need that) and the money is safely put away for when we will need it the most. 

LE on his final year, the year EP is re-up’d, is an easy trade. You’re not going to need a 1st at that point if he is stubborn and wants to stick around. 

Horvat or Miller are not going to be traded either. You’re saying trade our young captain or the team MVP, both at low cap hits? That’s absolute lunacy! 

LE’s actual pay is becoming less than his cap hit on a yearly basis. I’m sure he will want to quit his contract once it comes time and or if he gets sent to the minors. 

Edited by grandmaster

21 hours ago, IBatch said:

No.  We won’t ever win the first overall it’s in our DNA.   A lot would have to do wrong for that to happen and I personally thing that our team will continue its upward trend despite cap issues and whether or not we improve our roster.   At some point the young guy have to start clicking in a bigger way.  All three of BB, EP and QH have shined at certain times and they are all far from peaking.  Miller’s best season is no coincidence.   I also feel our vets are feeling the internal pressure and will be playing hard for their next contract or their Swan Song with a playoff run.  We have an abundance and potential in the system both with older and younger players.   Yes JB rolled the dice with JT Miller - it was shocking at the time - since then I’m 100% behind it and you can bet that 30 other soon to be 31 other GMs would be happy to give up a lottery pick every year to get those sort of immediate results even if they ended up losing out on a first overall.   If it was only that easy to get a guy who puts up those points every year right away on an excellent point per dollar basis.  JB or whomever is running this club can do that every single year going forward and we’d be a contender in short time forever.   PPG plus guys with intangibles don’t grow on trees for 5.25 ... wish our entire top nine was loaded with them then we’d look like the 80’s Oilers and be sending 10 guys to this all-star game each year ha ha. 

Agree.  I think that the real high end talent (cornerstone players) can only be had in the draft because who would trade players like that?  It happens but rarely.  Now, the Canucks have their 2 cornerstone players, Pettersson and Hughes and I don't believe they'll finish low enough in the foreseeable future to draft that level of talent again.  So it follows that they can treat draft picks like the assets they are, just like players, and use them to improve the team.

Sure, mid round first rounders can yield top 6 players.  Boeser is a clear example so I'm not saying these picks are without value.  But on the trade market, you can sacrifice one for a player like Miller who helps the team right away, why not?  In a sense, that makes these deals even better than a draft pick.  Lower risk, no development time.  And this is exactly what Benning is doing.  A 2nd for Toffoli is a little more risky but I have to think that Benning thought that he had a decent chance at signing him.  And if he can sign Toffoli, then that trade is worth it too.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, grandmaster said:

LE on his final year, the year EP is re-up’d, is an easy trade. You’re not going to need a 1st at that point if he is stubborn and wants to stick around. 

Horvat or Miller are not going to be traded either. You’re saying trade our young captain or the team MVP, both at low cap hits? That’s absolute lunacy! 

LE’s actual pay is becoming less than his cap hit on a yearly basis. I’m sure he will want to quit his contract once it comes time and or if he gets sent to the minors. 

I’m not saying any of this you completely misunderstood my post.   What I said is there are other options - and that I didn’t agree with that path - which is we could trade Horvat or Miller - get a first back and lower our cap - and that it was one step forwards two steps backwards.  

Also you also misunderstood the LE comment.  IF it was one year left on his contract - just like Marleau’s - would cost us a first as a cap dump.   It’s a proven cost and if LE wants to finish his contract out it’s possible that will be the cost.    Yes I know about LEs actual cost.  That doesn’t matter much despite what people seem to think. His cap hit is what it is.  If he doesn’t want to retire and wants to keep playing that is his right.   Sure we can make supposition and a million trade threads to OTT because we all know they would love to have him to help make the league minimum.   Which they won’t have much trouble at all doing just singing or re-signing their own prospect pool and with who they already have under contract.

The point I was trying to make is we won’t have much difficulty signing TT and Markstom and JV and Tanev or his replacement even with LE on the team.  But we will have trouble the next season if he is still here and wants to keep playing.  As in a first rounder then.  Whoopie f!cking do.   We don’t have cap issues right now.  Nothing pressing like contending teams have anyways.  We won’t lose a marquee player (like TB and WNP did ).   We might lose a pick and a prospect but not a big deal...  All the vets will be gone in three seasons or less.  

Edited by IBatch