Sign in to follow this  
-AJ-

Best of Defunct NHL Teams (Very long read)

Rate this topic

Posted (edited)

Wow AJ.

I must say, I enjoy how your mind thinks. 

The Quebec team, the one that the booed the Nation Anthem with great zeal, the same team Lindros, a Canadian, passed on being drafted to, became the dynasty enjoyed by fans in Colorado. That team had it all. 

Edited by 189lb enforcers?
  • Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

Nice read - well done AJ.   I thought the Rockies had cool uniforms when I was a kid ... several of these teams were relocated and it took me a long time to see PHX now ARI as a different team and not WNP.   Not so much with the Nords surprisingly - they seemed to get an new identity as soon as they arrived (Roy changed everything for them but have to wonder if they could have won a cup without him in Quebec too)  plus having a connection to the Rockies was glad they got a franchise back - but of course wasn’t happy we lost a great rivalry and a Canadian team...should have just expanded...Do people look at the new WNP Jets - see Wheeler and think ATL still (maybe fans from that city?)....good stuff!   Also eternally grateful that Quin wouldn’t have any part of both changing our name to the Orcas or re-locating the team to Seattle...we came dangerously close to losing that team...even if we got another one it would have changed things forever. 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/10/2020 at 10:38 AM, 189lb enforcers? said:

Wow AJ.

I must say, I enjoy how your mind thinks. 

The Quebec team, the one that the booed the Nation Anthem with great zeal, the same team Lindros, a Canadian, passed on being drafted to, became the dynasty enjoyed by fans in Colorado. That team had it all. 

Remember a radio station in Quebec City pushing the big baby theme - then providing the team fans with soothers...grown men in the stands wearing nothing but diapers...death threats and effigies and the whole thing..probably a good thing for his personal safety the Nords relocated.  

Lindros was an absolute beast...Stevens may have levelled him but the hits he layed out the league has rarely seen before or since - guys 220lb guys  literally flying 20 feet into the boards.  Like giving a linebacker skates and wheels to go with it and the hands to go with it.   For anyone who’s forgotten or never saw him play - watch some video it’s very entertaining...many against Stevens himself.  Too bad he never figured out he should keep his head up (think he didn’t need to growing up so had to learn it the hard way).   

Some say Forsberg for Lindros was enough - and they’d have a good case.  But if he never had concussions and played 20 years I’m confident he’d be up there in Howe, Lemieux, Orr, Gretzky territory in how reverent discussions would be about his career.   Even with the tarnished start. 

Edit:  my wife tutored math in high school (about the same age) and says he was polite,  nice maybe even shy.   Sometimes people forget these guys are kids and the expectations on the best of them must be enormous. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, IBatch said:

Remember a radio station in Quebec City pushing the big baby theme - then providing the team fans with soothers...grown men in the stands wearing nothing but diapers...death threats and effigies and the whole thing..probably a good thing for his personal safety the Nords relocated.  

Lindros was an absolute beast...Stevens may have levelled him but the hits he layed out the league has rarely seen before or since - guys 220lb guys  literally flying 20 feet into the boards.  Like giving a linebacker skates and wheels to go with it and the hands to go with it.   For anyone who’s forgotten or never saw him play - watch some video it’s very entertaining...many against Stevens himself.  Too bad he never figured out he should keep his head up (think he didn’t need to growing up so had to learn it the hard way).   

Some say Forsberg for Lindros was enough - and they’d have a good case.  But if he never had concussions and played 20 years I’m confident he’d be up there in Howe, Lemieux, Orr, Gretzky territory in how reverent discussions would be about his career.   Even with the tarnished start. 

Edit:  my wife tutored math in high school (about the same age) and says he was polite,  nice maybe even shy.   Sometimes people forget these guys are kids and the expectations on the best of them must be enormous. 

The separatists booing the national anthem, an area a full of them, would have also kept me from reporting to Quebec on draft day. 

I quickly searched, but couldn’t find any video of the booing, which was every bit as eager as the noise level after a goal was scored for their home team. 

I liked Lindros even more after that. 

Lindros remains my favourite player of all time. 

Edited by 189lb enforcers?
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

The separatists booing the national anthem, an area a full of them, would have also kept me from reporting to Quebec on draft day. 

I quickly searched, but couldn’t find any video of the booing, which was every bit as eager as the noise level after a goal was scored for their home team. 

I liked Lindros even more after that. 

Lindros remains my favourite player of all time. 

If you had to create an all-time team - no doubt he’d be a third or fourth line center with all due respect to his peers aka Yzerman, Messier, Francis etc...he was an absolute beast before injuries took a toll.