The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing ]. Mikko Lehtonen signs 1yr ELC w/ Leafs

12 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

whats the over/under on him ending up a Marlie? 

He's likely a cheaper poor man's version of Barrie, so I think he sticks on the big club due to his ELC and their cap constraints.

16 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

He's likely a cheaper poor man's version of Barrie, so I think he sticks on the big club due to his ELC and their cap constraints.

well thats no fun 

38 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

They badly need to trade F for a D.

46 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

The odds of him cracking the roster is very, very high. Their defense was booty last year. And they are likely losing Barrie. One of their 3 legit top 4s. 

Losing Barrie is addition by subtraction.  They need more defensemen who can actually play defense other than Muzzin.  Not sure if Lehtonen can play better in his own end then the trash Toronto currently employs, but I don't see how he could be much of a downgrade.  Then again, we said the same thing for Larsen.

If this addition turns into a legit NHLer, he'll be their 2nd best Dman behind Muzzin.

Edited by King Heffy

17 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Reilly, Barrie, Muzzin and now probably Lehtonen in their top 4.

This is nice but they need to make that Marner for Pietrangelo swap if they want to be taken seriously.

Barrie will not be back next year. If season resumes, Lehtonen won't be eligible for playoffs because his signed after the TDL. Pietrangelo is a UFA but they have no cap space.

From the very little I've heard (Ryan Whitney talking about him briefly) he seems like he could stick. Good move for the Leafs, potentially NHL player for minimal cost. 

These are the types of players we'll have to continue to look at as we continue to grow & fill our cap space. (Along with NCAA guys)

I’m sure he’s skilled and his point totals are impressive but look at the team he plays on. Not hard to get lots of minutes on that team.

Sami Lepisto is the next best D man, and former Canucks prospect Nicklas Jensen is a point per game player there.

Not buying the hype. For every one player like Zaitsev that comes over here and makes an impact right away, there’s a dozen Philip Larsens.

Edited by DeNiro

On 5/8/2020 at 2:14 AM, DownUndaCanuck said:

This is nice but they need to make that Marner for Pietrangelo swap if they want to be taken seriously.

Pietrango is a beast of a player... would love him in a Canucks jersey!  But even he couldn’t save the laughs, there are just one too many “me” players on that team that only play for their stats and nothing more.  

On 5/8/2020 at 4:14 PM, DownUndaCanuck said:

What dyu think the odd's of Pietrangelo re=signing without an NTC/NMC are?

Tell us about THAT swap please...

On 5/7/2020 at 11:14 PM, DownUndaCanuck said:

you don't trade Marner for a ufa u wait til he's a free agent get him for free and trade  Marner for like 2 first rounders and prospects  and a roster player.