The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing ]. Mikko Lehtonen signs 1yr ELC w/ Leafs

On 5/5/2020 at 10:44 AM, Jimmy McGill said:

well thats no fun 

No, even better, Leafs can't afford to retain Barrie and apparently he wants to come here. I'm hoping JB & Co. can work something to keep all our valuables and somehow squeeze in Barrie, if that means letting Stecher walk, convincing LE to retire, and then doing something with the Baer/Sutter/Rousell contracts it would make us a serious contender. A lot of moves would need to be made but I have faith in this management.

Edited by Nostalgia

10 hours ago, Nostalgia said:

No, even better, Leafs can't afford to retain Barrie and apparently he wants to come here. I'm hoping JB & Co. can work something to keep all our valuables and somehow squeeze in Barrie, if that means letting Stecher walk, convincing LE to retire, and then doing something with the Baer/Sutter/Rousell contracts it would make us a serious contender. A lot of moves would need to be made but I have faith in this management.

yeah Barrie made it pretty clear that Vancouver is on his list. Personally I like the idea of having two actual puck moving d in Hughes and Barrie the way the game is evolving (I know others don't here but thats OK). I just don't know if there's the cap room to do it, or what the Seattle protection implications might be. 

4 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

yeah Barrie made it pretty clear that Vancouver is on his list. Personally I like the idea of having two actual puck moving d in Hughes and Barrie the way the game is evolving (I know others don't here but thats OK). I just don't know if there's the cap room to do it, or what the Seattle protection implications might be. 

The issue I see with adding Barrie in a secondary puck moving role is that we have seen it briefly in Toronto now and while it was beneficial for them when Reilly went down and he became the primary guy, it looked like a bit of a nightmare prior to that. At the cost that he would command, I just don't think it's viable for him to be a backup puck mover and he's not good enough defensively otherwise. I prefer to have the cap space and hopefully Rathbone/Juolevi could be that "backup" pick mover for Hughes in the meantime and defensively they couldn't be much worse than Barrie at a fraction of the cost.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, theo5789 said:

The issue I see with adding Barrie in a secondary puck moving role is that we have seen it briefly in Toronto now and while it was beneficial for them when Reilly went down and he became the primary guy, it looked like a bit of a nightmare prior to that. At the cost that he would command, I just don't think it's viable for him to be a backup puck mover and he's not good enough defensively otherwise. I prefer to have the cap space and hopefully Rathbone/Juolevi could be that "backup" pick mover for Hughes in the meantime and defensively they couldn't be much worse than Barrie at a fraction of the cost.

what I like about it is tho we wouldn't have two puck movers with poor defensive skill sets, just one on a secondary unit in Barrie. Quinn really showed he's not going to be a liability at all in his own end. Barrie gives us a real PP2 QB as well. Hughes on PP1, Barrie driving PP2 will keep a lot of teams honest against us. 

But... of course its all about price. I like Barrie under or right at 6 mil, not sure he signs for that. 

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

what I like about it is tho we wouldn't have two puck movers with poor defensive skill sets, just one on a secondary unit in Barrie. Quinn really showed he's not going to be a liability at all in his own end. Barrie gives us a real PP2 QB as well. Hughes on PP1, Barrie driving PP2 will keep a lot of teams honest against us. 

But... of course its all about price. I like Barrie under or right at 6 mil, not sure he signs for that. 

The problem is Barrie has shown he will be a liability in his own end.  Rather see what our youth can do; it is easier to teach the youngsters to improve their play in their own end than to convince Barrie that the way he plays defense is not acceptable.  While Hughes certainly is a problem, I would prefer if all 6 of our defensemen were capable of playing like NHLers in the defensive zone.

Edited by King Heffy
  • Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I know the PP has been a talking point last season, but we were one of the top PP teams. This may have been in part due to having one more skilled set up type PP (that could shoot more) and then a second unit that was more of a get pucks on net and crash and bang. Some nights, that 2nd unit was more effective. I'm not sold that a 2nd PP QB is all the necessary for the downgrade in defensive play and the cap hit needed to sign him. 6 million is a hefty price tag for us to take on. As I said, I think Rathbone and/or Juolevi could take on those 2nd PP unit duties and eventually (certainly within the time frame of a Barrie contract) while not being much worse defensively at a minimal cap hit that would provide more value to that role.

14 hours ago, King Heffy said:

The problem is Barrie has shown he will be a liability in his own end.  Rather see what our youth can do; it is easier to teach the youngsters to improve their play in their own end than to convince Barrie that the way he plays defense is not acceptable.  While Hughes certainly is a problem, I would prefer if all 6 of our defensemen were capable of playing like NHLers in the defensive zone.

9 hours ago, theo5789 said:

I know the PP has been a talking point last season, but we were one of the top PP teams. This may have been in part due to having one more skilled set up type PP (that could shoot more) and then a second unit that was more of a get pucks on net and crash and bang. Some nights, that 2nd unit was more effective. I'm not sold that a 2nd PP QB is all the necessary for the downgrade in defensive play and the cap hit needed to sign him. 6 million is a hefty price tag for us to take on. As I said, I think Rathbone and/or Juolevi could take on those 2nd PP unit duties and eventually (certainly within the time frame of a Barrie contract) while not being much worse defensively at a minimal cap hit that would provide more value to that role.

I hear you guys. I just think that in the context of a playoffs in particular you need more scoring that we currently have. I have high hopes for OJ in particular but we don't know what he'll be and we haven't signed Rathbone yet. 

Its interesting to see what Leafs blab says about him: https://theleafsnation.com/2020/05/06/to-sign-or-not-sign-tyson-barrie/

Anyway, not pining for him by any means but if he and Tanev were the same money I'd probably lean Barrie. 

• Cheers 1

• 3 weeks later...