The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Capitals: Brendan Leipsic's Instagram messages are 'unacceptable and offensive'

Rate this topic

Just now, Patrick Kane said:

Imagine if stuff Alex Burrows did got leaked.

Probably would have more people defending him because he's a Canuck legend, and not a NHL tweener.

Probably 10x worse then this. Especially with the Patrick O'Sullivan bullying and the comments of David Backes's wife that are publicly known, can only imagine what was done in private.

My point is, private conversations should NOT be leaked. It is totally unfair to Leipsic, despite his horrible comments. But he will now have to pay the consequences.

I'm pretty sure when the O'Sullivan stuff came out everyone called him a whiner etc.

• Cheers 1

22 minutes ago, 250Integra said:

Even if true, 90% of people are not professional athletes, who should be held to a higher standard as they have thousands and thousands of followers. Many people, especially kids, view these individuals as role models.

Charles Barkley said it best in an old Nike commercial:

"I am not a role model. I am not paid to be a role model. I am paid to wreak havoc on the basketball court. Parents should be role models. Just because I dunk a basketball, doesn't mean I should raise your kids."

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 3

2 hours ago, Monty said:

*Wakes up today to hear about a 25 year old professional athlete with a grade 12 education acting like a buffoon behind the scenes.*

Shocked. :mellow:

Well, time to go about my life like I have for a while, now. That these moron, professional gym rats have never been role models. I remember hearing that from John Kruk, when I was 11 years old in 1993 when a reporter asked him, “You chew tobacco, what do you think that says about you as a role model?” His answer?

“Lady, I’m a ball player, not a role model.”

Leipsic’s comments are awful, and also not surprising. Yet another reason (see: decades of examples already) to steer my children towards “actual” role models in life, not spoiled brat, undeveloped mentally millionaires.

I was always amused with people that use athletes as role models.

My connection to them is purely sport related, everything else i could care less.

If I need medical or legal advice I will definitely not reach out to NBA, NFL or NHL.

• Cheers 2

I have friends who I trust that I vent with about people and things in general when I need to. I have always keep my vent about other people base on their actions, behaviors or things they do that makes me angry.

What Leipsic is doing is making degrading, sexist and hate speech related comments simply base on someone's outlook and origin of their racial group. That to me has cross the boundary. As a 25-year-old professional hockey player, he should be more mature and respectful than what has shown.

4 minutes ago, Caboose said:

I'm pretty sure when the O'Sullivan stuff came out everyone called him a whiner etc.

I feel for POS because of his dad but he does come across as a bit of a whiner. If your dad beat the ever living $&!# out of you and made you eat vomit, you would think a guy insulting you with a French-Canadian accent would just make you laugh.

Edited by Toews

12 minutes ago, stawns said:

oh no facepalm GIF

Public apology to you, @debluvscanucks, and anyone else annoyed by that post. I just re-read it... that was definitely not worded very properly and definitely looks like I'm defending him and making it seem like it's ok to say his comments. I was clearly venting as I've done in the past with quite a lot of my posts :blush:

I woke up this morning to 3 chats just roasting him and everyone being negative. That started my day. This lock down hasn't been all that kind to my mental well being and as usual I come to CDC for free therapy / place to vent :P

Like here I am waking up, trying to get through another day of quarantine... trying to be positive on life and stay on track mentally but everyone is just being negative in all the chats I was expecting good conversation from.

I'm overly sensitive during quarantine as well. I went for a walk and already helped!

I'd edit my post but it's been quoted anyways... I'll take some confusion reaction + points from it on the bright side... and maybe even some legendary Burr's ;)

Anyway... final statement:

I wasn't defending Brendan's comments - I don't talk like that and it's not acceptable. I haven't seen much of the leaked footage - only one tweet embedded.

I'm gonna focus on all the good news our province announced yesterday. Economy will be greater than ever... Canada will prosper.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, apollo said:

Public apology to you, @debluvscanucks, and anyone else annoyed by that post. I just re-read it... that was definitely not worded very properly and definitely looks like I'm defending him and making it seem like it's ok to say his comments. I was clearly venting as I've done in the past with quite a lot of my posts :blush:

I woke up this morning to 3 chats just roasting him and everyone being negative. That started my day. This lock down hasn't been all that kind to my mental well being and as usual I come to CDC for free therapy / place to vent :P

Like here I am waking up, trying to get through another day of quarantine... trying to be positive on life and stay on track mentally but everyone is just being negative in all the chats I was expecting good conversation from.

I'm overly sensitive during quarantine as well. I went for a walk and already helped!

I'd edit my post but it's been quoted anyways... I'll take some confusion reaction + points from it on the bright side... and maybe even some legendary Burr's ;)

I wasn't defending Brendan's comments - I don't talk like that and it's not acceptable. I haven't seen much of the leaked footage - only one tweet embedded.

I'm gonna focus on all the good news our province announced yesterday. Economy will be greater than ever... Canada will prosper.

I actually don't disagree it's a dick move on the leakers part, but BL, and BL alone, is to blame for his comments.  He got outed and he's going to pay for it.

Edited by stawns

46 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

I'm not going to respond to the people defending this because it's their deal, not mine.

But some of these tweets were very predatory in nature - that's a dangerous thing.

You're not women so probably don't understand how that mindset...even if "for fun/with buddies" is daunting and makes walking alone down a street at night scarier.   Knowing that men hide away and share these ideas/thoughts. 

That by dehumanizing women there are men out there who'll see this as a green light and ok.  Geez, these NHL players think it's funny/ok.  The strong message HAS to be that it's not.

Because some do view women that way.  And it should not be perpetuated for sh & giggles.  It's not funny and it sends ALL the wrong messages.

The same with the picture of Tanner's wife and child - if any of you are married and have a child, what if that's YOUR wife and child?  Is it still ok?  Those who answer yes are doing a disservice to the idea of family in my view.  

Not even going to apologize for my strong stance in this or defending it vehemently.

This isn't just "talk".  "Hey, did you see how drunk I got...I fell down the stairs?" is different than the vulgar  and predatory nature of how women are "notched" as objects rather than human beings in the conversations.   How people are degraded and belittled which is the very basis of bullying.  Online, private, whatever.  It's not acceptable and those who do it in groups are even worse.  They're brainless twats who feed off one another and quite cowardly if it's only in private that they share their twisted ideas.  

I can more easily dismiss a group of young teens maybe doing this....they're not adults/men yet.  They have yet to "grow up" and develop a good sense of empathy and set of morals (for some - for others they're deeply rooted early on).

No wonder they're not married...they're doing it all wrong.   

This is not ok.  Men who think it is are part of the problem, not the solution in this world.

Sad thing is Deb,  I saw that exact behavior from a few of my very close friends growing up and today 2 of them have spent numerous nights in jail for beating their gf's or other people and the other 2 guys are deadbeat dads who can't even get by to the next pay day without asking for an advance. Nobody called them out for their actions except me and I was all of a sudden the outcast among our group. Today I don't speak to any of them anymore. These guys spoke and acted like this since they were 5 years old and still do to this very day.

Just now, SergioMomesso said:

Sad thing is Deb,  I saw that exact behavior from a few of my very close friends growing up and today 2 of them have spent numerous nights in jail for beating their gf's or other people and the other 2 guys are deadbeat dads who can't even get by to the next pay day without asking for an advance. Nobody called them out for their actions except me and I was all of a sudden the outcast among our group. Today I don't speak to any of them anymore. These guys spoke and acted like this since they were 5 years old and still do to this very day.

Always sucks to lose friends. At the same time, I say good for you for calling them out. No one needs that kind of negativity in their life.

Meh these guys are super immature. Talking openly about doing nose beers and body shaming women who would probably ghost you if you didn't have the status of being a rich pro athlete makes you look like a complete jabroni. Frat boy mentality at its finest.

13 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

The point is he can say what he wants in private and it doesn't make him a bad person.  People need to chill

Guys a textbook POS. You don't talk about women like that without there being something very wrong in your head. 

Why do you always seem to be against decency? Trying to be edgy? Go against the grain?? How's that working out for ya?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, apollo said:

https://hackspirit.com/protect-absorbing-peoples-negative-energy/

Gonna leave this here and disappear from this thread. It's far too nice of a day today to focus on school boy gossip...

Brendan deserves to learn a lesson but this isn't the right way. Millions of hockey fans are now focusing on this negative energy and I guarantee you they'll have a worse day than if they were focusing on something positive... like how our province is about to open back up and we're beating a pandemic.

When you focus on negatives it will only multiply in your life. I've battled depression and other mental health issues long enough to know that this school boy gossip and negativity will only crush your mental well being.

Spread love Canucks Nation. Spread love. :wub:

Doing this so I can read after work.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, apollo said:

To spread hate? What do you think the hacker is doing here?

Brendan wasn't trying to spread hate, he made terrible comments to his friends and it should stop there. This is spreading far more hate now that he's been "exposed" ... you've got 100s of thousands of hockey fans fuming and they will reflect this hatred on to their lives and make the world a worse place as a result.

The hacker or the friend needs to be locked up. They are the one spreading all this negative energy and getting people angry... 1 person angry, they'll vent and keep spreading the negative energy.

God bless. Focus on positives. I'm done paying attention to high school gossip. I've already had enough.

There's far too much good in this planet for me to focus on some random guy talking to his buddies in a PRIVATE group chat

The stupid crap you say constantly amazes me.  Let the hateful racist misogynistic coke head off the hook because he spewed his crap to his equally hateful friends.  But permanently lock up the person who exposed the d-bag for what he is.  

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

9 minutes ago, SergioMomesso said:

Good for you for having the courage to rise above that kind of behaviour. While I am not implying that you were raised in poverty, the experience of your former friends reminds me of some work I did several years ago. In my career I did a lot of work around generational poverty. One of the things I found out was that in order to break the cycle of generational poverty (which is exactly what it sounds like; poverty that goes on from generation to generation) you had to physically leave the social and even family ties that kept you in that way of life. That is why most people living in generational poverty never get out, because they can't bear to give up their friends and associates because that is their security and their familiarity. This is why some successful people, when they go back to the old neighbourhood twenty years later, find the same gang doing the same stuff they always did, only now they are all twenty years older and still living the same way they did twenty years ago. And what you said about being the outcast rings true. People trying to break out of the cycle feel more pressure from their friends and associates to conform than they do from the circle they are trying to break into. But again, good for you for resisting the peer influence and forging your own path.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

The stupid crap you say constantly amazes me.  Let the hateful racist misogynistic coke head off the hook because he spewed his crap to his equally hateful friends.  But permanently lock up the person who exposed the d-bag for what he is.  

This is exactly what I'm talking about... perfect example of how the negativity is contagious. The negativity from this subject has fueled you with more negativity which you're coming at me with and not being very nice.

You're fired up by the negativity of this subject and now you're coming at me with negative energy just bashing me lol...

This is exactly what the hacker wanted. He wanted to spread hate and this is exactly what he's done. No hard feelings though, I know your harsh words towards me are only because of the negative news you're being consumed by.

Brendan is a bad guy based on his comments but the person who leaked has a much more sinister affect on society as a whole. The harm and spread of negativity is now far greater than had BL's comments that he sent in a pirvate group chat, stayed private.

If the whistle blower actually was a good person and wanted to do the right thing, he should have just had a gathering of their friends and call him out. Not blast it all over twitter to multiply the hate x1000000 views/conversations

Edited by apollo
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, apollo said:

This is exactly what I'm talking about... perfect example of how the negativity is contagious. The negativity from this subject has fueled you with more negativity which you're coming at me with and not being very nice.

You're fired up by the negativity of this subject and now you're coming at me with negative energy just bashing me lol...

This is exactly what the hacker wanted. He wanted to spread hate and this is exactly what he's done. No hard feelings though, I know your harsh words towards me are only because of the negative news you're being consumed by.

Brendan is a bad guy based on his comments but the person who leaked has a much more sinister affect on society as a whole. The harm and spread of negativity is now far greater than had BL's comments that he sent in a pirvate group chat, stayed private.

If the whistle blower actually was a good person and wanted to do the right thing, he should have just had a gathering of their friends and call him out. Not blast it all over twitter to multiply the hate x1000000 views/conversations

The guy deserves every bit of negativity coming his way. you wanting to lock up the person responsible for leaking this is ridiculous.  Leipsic has an opportunity to use this as a learning experience and become a better person.  I’m guessing he doesn’t have the strength of character to do that though.  He’ll do what you’re doing. Blame the person that shone the light on his character rather than looking at the real person responsible.  The guy in the mirror 

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, apollo said:

Maybe you and I are simpatico on this topic because I perfectly understood your sentiment. Things said in private in an audience of a few friends, sometimes as an outsider you aren't going to understand the full context of what is being said. I have a group of college friends that I regularly keep in touch with through a common chat. This is a place where political correctness goes to die and I enjoy those discussions as I can share with a group of people any sentiment without being judged. Sometimes I might say something ironically or in jest, or for shock value. Something could just be an inside joke but it would be interpreted entirely differently outside of that group. We are used to busting each other's chops, its not meant to be taken personally even if it is personal. There is trust and a bond formed over years so you can get away with saying a lot of stuff that you wouldn't dare say out loud because it would undoubtedly cause hurt. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2