The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Capitals: Brendan Leipsic's Instagram messages are 'unacceptable and offensive'

Rate this topic

1 minute ago, J-23 said:

Let’s just assume though Pettersson said that, or a star player said that, would you want them gone?

Yeah Leipsic comments are wrong and since they are public we can get on his ass for it. However, I don’t get why people are so shocked about them. All this shows me is that he is no different than everyone’s friendly neighbourhood asshole.

@Quantum Just said pretty much what I was thinking and saved me a lot of typing in the process. Thanks!

The difference between Leipsic and your average neighborhood asshole is Leipsic is a public figure; so standards are going to be different. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, HerrDrFunk said:

That would suck if you said nothing over the line and got punished for it by association. However, from what I saw, it doesn't look like there are any innocent bystanders there. 

I did not read the messages, I think I would probably lose a few brain cells if I tried to go through all of it. Leipsic's comments probably got the most publicity because he is the most high profile (LOL!) name on that list. 

I do wonder how many people were in the group, how many were active etc. Whether they all said something. I think organizations should always indicate exactly what they thought was offensive, specify that it was sexism, racism, xenophobia, misogyny etc. as the reason for dismissal. Leaving it at "conduct unbecoming" or similar vague verbiage leads to confusion imho. 

Just now, canuktravella said:

wonder how many nhlers or canucks are scrubbing their private messages right now i bet alot but also i bet none are as dumb or gross as leipsic’s crew 

You would be surprised is all I will say. Imagine if there was social media in the 80s and 90s. Hoo boy!

3 minutes ago, Toews said:

You would be surprised is all I will say. Imagine if there was social media in the 80s and 90s. Hoo boy!

There is a particularly well known story in Winnipeg about Keith Tkachuk at a restaurant and what he said to a waitress one evening.

28 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

@Quantum Just said pretty much what I was thinking and saved me a lot of typing in the process. Thanks!

The difference between Leipsic and your average neighborhood asshole is Leipsic is a public figure; so standards are going to be different. 

If Alex burrows can grow and mature after his pretty horrendous behaviour I think there is hope for leipsic.  Maybe the guy really will seek counselling etc.? 

3 minutes ago, Toews said:

ya but different time different culture  things have changed so much in 30 yrs let alobe 40. For the better  i think no one needs to rip on gay people or be racist or rip women everyone deserves respect. If boys will be boys culture has consquences for their actions maybe less rapes  and violence against women happen. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

44 minutes ago, Quantum said:

I'm in the group that says yes, I'd want him gone if it were he who said these things. Everybody should be held to the same standards -- regardless of whether or not he's a star player or fringe player like Brendan Lepisic. 

These are people who willingly chose to be in a profession that's in the public eye. They are being held to a different standard. Pettersson is obviously way more mature than Leipisic is... and he's 5 years younger than Leipsic.

What Leipsic said not only about those women, but his teammates, current and former, is what led him to being fired. Can't have that kind of toxicity in the locker room. Sends a bad message to not only his teammates but to the fans of the team.

So many of these arguments are about privacy and "boys will be boys" and "we all have stuff we regret in our DM's", but I'm not seeing any of these people say "hey, how do those women feel after seeing there names get degraded like this?" "What kind of message does letting Leipsic off the hook send to female NHL fans -- young and old?" "Do his (now ex) teammates still want to work with him?"

Comments like those that Leipsic said have consequences.

And he's not sorry about what he said, he's sorry that they got out.

But to answer the question you posed, I'd hold EVERY NHL player to this standard. Star or not. I also believe most NHLers aren't like this, especially the stars who know how much is at stake. I honestly hope Leipsic is an outlier.

39 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Sorry, I disagree. If someone on Pettersson’s level said it, I believe it would be a public apology and some counselling. Probably get flak about it throughout his career and life, that be about it.

Do you guys think Burr should’ve been kicked out for his comments? Burr my favourite player of all time but his comments were out of line and way worse than this.

Just now, J-23 said:

Do you guys think Burr should’ve been kicked out for his comments? Burr my favourite player of all time but his comments were out of line and way worse than this.

thats an interesting question. Two things different about the context: 1) we only have one side of it, and 2) "trash talk" was/is a part of the game.

It would depend on how you weigh those things out vs. something thats done online in front of several people. 

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

thats an interesting question. Two things different about the context: 1) we only have one side of it, and 2) "trash talk" was/is a part of the game.

It would depend on how you weigh those things out vs. something thats done online in front of several people. 

One side? Burr apologized for it, and I don’t recall him denying it either.

http://www.vancouversun.com/touch/sports/hockey/vancouver-canucks/burrows+says+sorry+taunting+sullivan/11597642/story.html

Not much different to me tbh. 

18 minutes ago, canuktravella said:

ya but different time different culture  things have changed so much in 30 yrs let alobe 40. For the better  i think no one needs to rip on gay people or be racist or rip women everyone deserves respect. If boys will be boys culture has consquences for their actions maybe less rapes  and violence against women happen. 

Agreed, everyone deserves respect and I do believe we are headed to better places in the future regarding this. But until we do I have to question the means through which we arrive there especially as mob mentality can ruin the lives of people. The respect should be genuine rather than compliance through fear. We should be allowed to express ourselves for understanding to occur, fear breeds mistrust which rears its ugly head in insidious ways that aren't always visible on the surface. People just start to hide it better and that doesn't benefit anybody.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, J-23 said:

http://www.vancouversun.com/touch/sports/hockey/vancouver-canucks/burrows+says+sorry+taunting+sullivan/11597642/story.html

in Burrs defence he said "Back then, I didn’t know the magnitude of it."

The difference between that and what Leipsic did, was Leipsic knew exactly what he was doing. Its not clear from what you posted that Burr knew the full story. Not excusing Burr but I do think its not on the same level.

Also, where's the line in trash talk? its easy to see where Leipsic and his buddies went wrong, I don't know the rule book for hockey trash talk. 

5 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

in Burrs defence he said "Back then, I didn’t know the magnitude of it."

The difference between that and what Leipsic did, was Leipsic knew exactly what he was doing. Its not clear from what you posted that Burr knew the full story. Not excusing Burr but I do think its not on the same level.

Also, where's the line in trash talk? its easy to see where Leipsic and his buddies went wrong, I don't know the rule book for hockey trash talk. 

Even mentioning it at all is weird and way over the line IMO. Similaily with going after tootoos family. But he learned from it grew etc. Apologised. I love burr one of my fav players but we can't have one set of rules for him and another for leipsic. I kinda wish he was kept on by the caps as it woukd be interesting to see boe the players ie jake handled it. 

11 minutes ago, austy said:

I think we can demonize leipsic but we have to allow him to apologize/rehabilitate if we also allow a burrows jersey in the ring if honor. 

So far Leipsic apology has been weak, but if he can somehow show he’s a better person further down the road..

As per now I think he better start learning some Russian

10 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Ask O’Sullivan

• Upvote 1

So Caps waived Leipsic today and will be initiating contract termination.

https://theathletic.com/1802961/2020/05/08/capitals-put-brendan-leipsic-on-waivers-after-completely-unacceptable-comments/

I’d imagine this came in close consultation with the league, to make a strong statement regarding the expectations for NHL players.

Caps could have easily just let his contract expire (it ends after the 2019-20 season), but by terminating it, they’re clearly taking a stand regarding Leipsic’s actions, and the league is setting a precedent for how these types of things will be handled in future.

27 minutes ago, Toews said:

Agreed, everyone deserves respect and I do believe we are headed to better places in the future regarding this. But until we do I have to question the means through which we arrive there especially as mob mentality can ruin the lives of people. The respect should be genuine rather than compliance through fear. We should be allowed to express ourselves for understanding to occur, fear breeds mistrust which rears its ugly head in insidious ways that aren't always visible on the surface. People just start to hide it better and that doesn't benefit anybody.

true but people need to  be responsible for their actions its like if a drunk has a beer at my bar  then goes and drives and kills someone its the bar and bartender  that get sued it  people need to be held to their actions if your dumb enough to drive drunk it should be on you if you ask me. 

Edited by canuktravella

2 minutes ago, J-23 said:

Only difference here is Burr said it out loud and he didn't have his privacy invaded by a hacker like brendan did. Burr was in no way a victim of an invasion of his privacy. He said his words out loud. Burr knew what he said would be heard by his target. 

Brendan and 7 billion others on the planet, genuinely say something in private and assume it would stay private and not hurt the person their words target. 

I still haven't looked at what brendan said and I'm not a school boy in grade 8 trying to start up gossip boy/girl stuff so I won't dig deeper than the one tweet I saw with 4 images in which James Boyd was saying far worse things than Brendan 

Brendan said something in the comfort of his friends private group chat... Burr said it out loud... 

12 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Leipsic knew what he was exactly doing is a stretch... 

Typing on his personal cell phone to his personal and private group of friends... 

I'm as big of a burrows fan as anyone but his actions were worse. He wasn't hacked, he didn't have his privacy taken away from him. He said it out loud. 

People have no lives during quarantine and trying to spread more toxicity instead of focusing on all the good news... Smh 

5 minutes ago, canuktravella said:

true but people need to  be responsible for their actions its like if a drunk has a beer at my bar  then goes and drives and kills someone its the bar and bartender  that get sued it  people need to be held to their actions if yourdumb enough to drive drunk it should be on you if you ask me.

Except when people get drunk they're often not themselves. That's why the onus is on someone who can actually be responsible about it and prevent things from happening, because the bar staff have a better chance at prevention than does the drunk person because the drunk person's... well... drunk!

So I really don't think that's a good example in this case, especially since we're talking about sober people (although who knows there).

Edited by The Lock