The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Capitals: Brendan Leipsic's Instagram messages are 'unacceptable and offensive'

Rate this topic

32 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

in Burrs defence he said "Back then, I didn’t know the magnitude of it."

The difference between that and what Leipsic did, was Leipsic knew exactly what he was doing. Its not clear from what you posted that Burr knew the full story. Not excusing Burr but I do think its not on the same level.

Also, where's the line in trash talk? its easy to see where Leipsic and his buddies went wrong, I don't know the rule book for hockey trash talk. 

Burrows is a fighter, he was willing to do whatever it took to get him to his dream of playing in the NHL. He did some questionable stuff along the way that he probably feels ashamed of at this point. I bet a lot of NHLers are in the same company excepting a few narcissists like Prust/Avery. Societal expectations change, people grow and adapt to those expectations. Anyone watching the Last Dance documentary sees Michael Jordan acting like a complete a-hole and that is the greatest damn athlete of all time.

Leipsic has now been relentlessly abused on the internet for hours, his name is now worse than mud. His family likely has to deal with the fall-out of his actions as well. I hope the experience will be humbling and it likely will be for him. If he shows real contrition with his words and actions, I hope that people will get off his back. He will always be trolled about this however and that to me that is a sad reflection of our culture, for some nothing will be good enough.

Edited by Toews
  • Cheers 1

28 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Except when people get drunk they're often not themselves. That's why the onus is on someone who can actually be responsible about it and prevent things from happening, because the bar staff have a better chance at prevention than does the drunk person because the drunk person's... well... drunk!

So I really don't think that's a good example in this case, especially since we're talking about sober people (although who knows there).

ya sounds like he was coked out of his mind on that chat.  I disagree with the drinking part  people should be somewhat responsible for actions  i cut off people when they act stupid which happens alot  i dontput up with bs  but  ive called  people dial a driver and taxis before and they have lied and driven home  so as a bartender i did my part of being responsible  it actually infuriates me when they pull  crap like that im actually happy they cracked down on drinking driving 5000 fines make this happen a lot less than 10 yrs ago 

57 minutes ago, austy said:

I think we can demonize leipsic but we have to allow him to apologize/rehabilitate if we also allow a burrows jersey in the ring if honor. 

His actions brought upon his termination with the Caps.

Everyone deserves a 2nd chance.  However, it is up to the NHL teams to give him that chance.  If they don't want him...then its too bad.  A NHL job is not a guarantee nor a right. 

1 minute ago, canuktravella said:

ya sounds like he was coked out of his mind on that chat.  I disagree with the drinking part  people should be somewhat responsible for actions  i cut off people when they act stupid which happens alot  i dontput up with bs  but  ive called  people dial a driver and taxis before and they have lied and driven home  so as a bartender i did my part of being responsible  it actually infuriates me when they pull  crap like that im actually happy they cracked down on drinking driving 5000 fines make this happen a lot less than 10 yrs ago 

Yeah. I'm not saying there shouldn't be any responsibility on the drunkard's part. Absolutely there should, but if there is someone else who has the ability to take responsibility (ie. the person serving the alcohol), due diligence needs to happen there too. People do stupid things when they're drunk.

And good on you for doing your part. Even if they lie, etc, at least then you've tried. If there's one thing I know it's that dealing with drunks is not easy.

Any company would terminate the employment of one of its employees if this type of chat was discovered and then made public to their clients.  Whether a person is 25 or 45 they are personally responsible for their actions and all companies would hold them responsible for acting in professional manner. A company was paying Brendan $700,000 a year to represent them entertaining the public through sport.  He knew this, he screwed up and he deserves to be fired.

6 minutes ago, BPA said:

His actions brought upon his termination with the Caps.

Everyone deserves a 2nd chance.  However, it is up to the NHL teams to give him that chance.  If they don't want him...then its too bad.  A NHL job is not a guarantee nor a right. 

It's an easy PR choice for the caps as he is a bubble player. It would be interesting if it was a star player. 

On 5/7/2020 at 2:12 AM, The Colt 45s said:

We like to feign outrage. Let the players settle this!

How many of us laughed when Kesler told Backes, "Tell Kelly I said hi!"? 

Or how about this Burrows one, "I was complimenting him on his potato farm saying he must like french fries the best because he's looking a little chubby." - Alex Burrows on what made Detroit's Aaron Downey mad enough to spear the Canucks' pest during Saturday's pre-game warmup. https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/note-to-alex-burrows-watch-this-for-more-aaron-downey-material

Not remotely the same.  Burrows remarks were the result of on going feuds between players on the ice (and I don't condone what Burrows said either).  The women that he made fun of have no connection to him.  Have not in anyway said anything bad about him.  No excuse whatsoever.  And nope, my outrage is not fake.  That guy's and a##hole, bully and all around useless POS.  As for private conversations, the only real private conversation is when you are talking to yourself and nobody is there to hear it.  

3 hours ago, SergioMomesso said:

I kind of hope a team in the Pacific signs him to a PTO and plays us in the pre-season so Pearson can punch his face in and then releases him right after the game.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, J-23 said:

So far Leipsic apology has been weak, but if he can somehow show he’s a better person further down the road..

As per now I think he better start learning some Russian

Ask O’Sullivan

I don't think we can judge the severity of a situation just based on someone's reaction though. 

The other difference here is in terms of power dynamics - Burr and O'S were equals, players on the ice with the ability to yap or fight back. Leipsic fat shaming people on social media is on another level.

In terms of punishment, if this had come out while Burr was a player and we're judging it by todays standards, i'd say a 10 game suspension would be appropriate to send a message. But its not equivalent to what Leipsuck did because the persons being shamed and called out were not equals or there to defend themselves. 

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, apollo said:

Only difference here is Burr said it out loud and he didn't have his privacy invaded by a hacker like brendan did. Burr was in no way a victim of an invasion of his privacy. He said his words out loud. Burr knew what he said would be heard by his target. 

Brendan and 7 billion others on the planet, genuinely say something in private and assume it would stay private and not hurt the person their words target. 

I still haven't looked at what brendan said and I'm not a school boy in grade 8 trying to start up gossip boy/girl stuff so I won't dig deeper than the one tweet I saw with 4 images in which James Boyd was saying far worse things than Brendan 

Brendan said something in the comfort of his friends private group chat... Burr said it out loud... 

Leipsic knew what he was exactly doing is a stretch... 

Typing on his personal cell phone to his personal and private group of friends... 

I'm as big of a burrows fan as anyone but his actions were worse. He wasn't hacked, he didn't have his privacy taken away from him. He said it out loud. 

People have no lives during quarantine and trying to spread more toxicity instead of focusing on all the good news... Smh 

respectfully disagree, trash talk is part of 'the code'. Yes Burr went too far, but O'Sullivan could have given it right back too. Its not the same as fat shaming people. 

4 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I don't think we can judge the severity of a situation just based on someone's reaction though. 

The other difference here is in terms of power dynamics - Burr and O'S were equals, players on the ice with the ability to yap or fight back. Leipsic fat shaming people on social media is on another level.

In terms of punishment, if this had come out while Burr was a player and we're judging it by todays standards, i'd say a 10 game suspension would be appropriate to send a message. But its not equivalent to what Leipsuck did because the persons being shamed and called out were not equals or there to defend themselves. 

I dunno mate, if there is a line in the art of the chirp, then surely bullying a guy about his experience with child abuse has crossed it. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, austy said:

I dunno mate, if there is a line in the art of the chirp, then surely bullying a guy about his experience with child abuse has crossed it. 

well, it depends on how much of that Burr actually knew though. If you believe Burr he didn't know the whole story and it was in the heat of battle in a game. 

Yes Burr went too far, but there's a big difference between doing something on the ice, to your face, than relaxing on your sofa crapping on people on social media. 

Not knowing the story? Common mate. There are just topics which no one should stoop too, especially in sport. Ie what brandon manning did. But back to the topic, i think the actions  are on par with each other. That was my point. 

29 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Why is that? Leipsic may be a NHL player but that doesn't put him any higher on the hierarchy. As a fringe NHLer Leipsic has no platform so his thoughts don't hold anymore significance. He is for all intents and purposes an equal to the women he was denigrating. I disagree with putting women on a pedestal, I am not sure if that was your intent but that's the way it comes across. If our stated goal is equality then we cannot contradict that through our actions. That means no well-intentioned special privilege.  

Edited by Toews