The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Capitals: Brendan Leipsic's Instagram messages are 'unacceptable and offensive'

Rate this topic

20 minutes ago, austy said:

Not knowing the story? Common mate. There are just topics which no one should stoop too, especially in sport. Ie what brandon manning did. But back to the topic, i think the actions  are on par with each other. That was my point. 

I don't know how you can possibly equate an on-ice incident with one on social media, but thats why we all have opinions. 

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, Toews said:

Why is that? Leipsic may be a NHL player but that doesn't put him any higher on the hierarchy. As a fringe NHLer Leipsic has no platform so his thoughts don't hold anymore significance. He is for all intents and purposes an equal to the women he was denigrating. I disagree with putting women on a pedestal, I am not sure if that was your intent but that's the way it comes across. If our stated goal is equality then we cannot contradict that through our actions. That means no well-intentioned special privilege.  

Why? Leipsic has a platform, 1000s of hockey fans know who he is, his actions reflect on the NHL. The people he was shaming were either regular people or players wives for the most part. Of course that gives his statements more weight than the average person. If one of the women tweeted something nasty about Leipsic, no one would care. Thats the difference. No one's talking about pedestals. 

26 minutes ago, austy said:

Not knowing the story? Common mate. There are just topics which no one should stoop too, especially in sport. Ie what brandon manning did. But back to the topic, i think the actions  are on par with each other. That was my point. 

Have you ever been emotional in a sport? Have you ever been emotional even watching a game to the point where you feel like you could do something to someone?

If not, well  you're part of a noncompetitive minority in human society.. Otherwise, the next time you get into that emotion, by your logic, you've stooped to a low if you so as even throw your remote across the room watching a game.

Because, if you think about it, it's pretty much the exact same reason why Burr did what he did. He's competitive.

Edited by The Lock

7 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Why? Leipsic has a platform, 1000s of hockey fans know who he is, his actions reflect on the NHL. The people he was shaming were either regular people or players wives for the most part. Of course that gives his statements more weight than the average person. If one of the women tweeted something nasty about Leipsic, no one would care. Thats the difference. No one's talking about pedestals. 

Yeah I don't think that gives him any substantial platform. People have only heard of him because he was a decent hockey player in junior with some good stints in the AHL. He is a fringe NHLer, who was never at all any good at the highest level. No one cared about his views regarding anything except hockey, until his private group chat was leaked by a hacker. I don't see any power dynamic here, just because someone is a minor (emphasis on minor) celebrity doesn't give them any more power over the the common person.

Edited by Toews

7 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

One could argue that could make it harder for Leipsic for the exact same reasons. Because he has a platform and is looked up to, he is also in the spotlight which can be a really tough place to be in in a case like this.

However, I also want to point out that we're not just talking about him shaming someone who doesn't have a platform. We're talking about the wife of an NHL player. She certainly has a platform too in this case. Perhaps even more of one since Pearson's kind of more of a big deal than Leipsic.

14 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Have you ever been emotional in a sport? Have you ever been emotional even watching a game to the point where you feel like you could do something to someone?

If not, well  you're part of a noncompetitive minority in human society.. Otherwise, the next time you get into that emotion, by your logic, you've stooped to a low if you so as even throw your remote across the room watching a game.

Because, if you think about it, it's pretty much the exact same reason why Burr did what he did. He's competitive.

I may throw the remote but i dont throw it at my kid. There's a line right? Do we excuse Brandon manning because he is just competitive? Of course we don't. We say don't be a jerk, this is the penalty. Just as all of these incidences show. Anyway, we are gonna get in trouble for getting off topic. 

2 minutes ago, austy said:

I may throw the remote but i dont throw it at my kid. There's a line right? Do we excuse Brandon manning because he is just competitive? Of course we don't. We say don't be a jerk, this is the penalty. Just as all of these incidences show. Anyway, we are gonna get in trouble for getting off topic. 

Rather than comparing throwing the remote at your kid, think of it more as throwing the remote at your neighbour ready to pound your face in.

Does that give you better perspective? These guys are tough remember.... both sides.

What an ugly little creep Leipsic is.

Someone like him who is barely keeping his head above water in the league should be working his butt off to be humble and a teamplayer.

Its very clear why he hasn't made it in the league... too busy indulging his drug needs and badmouthing everyone to make up for his own failings.

Instead of putting his nose to the grindstone and trying to salvage his career, he is mouthing off against Pearson's wife, who has just had a kid.  Woman are all different and having a baby takes a lot out of some.

If he had the slightest respect for his ex-team, especially someone like Pearson who never takes a night off, then he'd button his lip.

And clearly in the case of Jake, it is simple envy... he doesn't like the success of a kid who has a ton of talent.

Leipsic should be banished to the far reaches of Siberia to play in some hole in the KHL.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

13 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

What an ugly little creep Leipsic is.

Someone like him who is barely keeping his head above water in the league should be working his butt off to be humble and a teamplayer.

Its very clear why he hasn't made it in the league... too busy indulging his drug needs and badmouthing everyone to make up for his own failings.

Instead of putting his nose to the grindstone and trying to salvage his career, he is mouthing off against Pearson's wife, who has just had a kid.  Woman are all different and having a baby takes a lot out of some.

If he had the slightest respect for his ex-team, especially someone like Pearson who never takes a night off, then he'd button his lip.

And clearly in the case of Jake, it is simple envy... he doesn't like the success of a kid who has a ton of talent.

Leipsic should be banished to the far reaches of Siberia to play in some hole in the KHL.

Worse, he should sign in Calgary.  He'll fit right in with those clowns.  

• Haha 1

There's no defending the totality of what Leipsic said. And you can go into alot of things regarding "hockey culture" (which I kinda don't totally like, its the person before the sport) and dissect why people are like this and how to change it. I feel for the women that love hockey & think (maybe even more so now) that all the men in & around the game are this judgmental towards them all the time.

Regarding 'locker room talk'; some of these things are said by players. But I also I think Leipsic represents an extreme. Most of these guys are professionals, Leipsic clearly isn't. Drance made a good point about how it was just an assault on everyone, and how he must be miserable to consistently be that much of an ass to everyone. Again, its a subject you would dive into alot of points on.

Now the privacy issue. I've seen things said like "expose them all" & 'if its 90% saying these things they should all lose their jobs'. Its kind of like, where's the line with what & how much we want to control? Are you allowed to say or think anything negative about someone? Are you only not allowed to have it if its about a women? Is it only men held to this standard? or are woman to be equally punished for saying things about men? How many negative thoughts about others are you allowed to have? Exc.

Again I want to be clear I don't support immature douchebags who are just judgmental pricks to everyone all the time. But there's also a distinction that needs to be made between the Leipsic's and regular guys (and girls) who aren't afraid to make harsher jokes & things they wouldn't normally outside the trust of their close group. And that's in all areas of life, so how much do we want to police that? (Police thought, really)

7 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Worse, he should sign in Calgary.  He'll fit right in with those clowns.

Never happen, Calgary GM knows the moment Leipsic appeared on the ice Jake would crush him into an unrecognizable mess on the boards... followed by Pearson picking up the mess and tossing it into the trash.

All while his Calgary team mates cheered on the Canucks.

Edited by *Buzzsaw*

1 minute ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Never happen, Calgary GM knows the moment Leipsic appeared on the ice Jake would crush him into an unrecognizable mess on the boards... followed by Pearson picking up the mess and tossing it into the trash.

All while his Calgary team mates cheered on the Canucks.

I dunno, guys like Tkapuke and Lucic don't exactly seem like the kind of guys who would have a problem with Leipsic.

2 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Was this before or after he ate literally everything the restaurant had?

That’s stupid!  Everyone in the free world knows you never ever EVER piss anyone off who is in direct contact with your food!  

• Haha 1

If ones argument is that this is just locker room talk clearly you grew up in immature locker rooms. This would not fly among the Canucks nor would it fly in any of mine. This kind of behavior exhibits so much immaturity. The person who quoted me earlier and asked if I would have known better at 18-19, yes, I would have known better at 14. Especially in the age where everything you say on the internet is accessible by everyone. You'd think people growing up with this level of technology would know by now that nothing said on the internet is private. If you can't handle the consequences of your words, maybe they aren't worth writing nor speaking? You know the saying "Think before you speak."

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Vintage 1

7 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Its also the world we live in now. Geez, after all the #metoo movement, anti-bullying, truly bad things to say in this social climate where everybody is supersensitive and ever comment is being pretty much policed. Profesional athletes need to conduct themselves as that, PROFESSIONAL because any bad press they get reflects on them, the team and the league.

On 5/6/2020 at 9:30 PM, The 5th Line said:

If you have close friends who are all on the same page, some pretty nasty things can get said in a private chat.   

Almost any man with close friends involved in a group chat would know this.

Exactly, people are naive to think that NO ONE has said anything some sort of inappropriate comments with their fellas or girls even with their friends ( I draw the line though on the racist stuff because theres no room for that)  We live in the world now where everybody is ultra sensitive with all the social issues, and you can get in trouble especially if you are any level of celebrity with followers that you have evidence saying these comments in social media. Take the word "F*g" ( rhymes with bag), players from beer leagues  to big leagues have been using that word for YEARS with the trash talk on the ice, now its frowned upon with the LGBTQ movement, and thats a fine in the NHL now.

6 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

There's no defending the totality of what Leipsic said. And you can go into alot of things regarding "hockey culture" (which I kinda don't totally like, its the person before the sport) and dissect why people are like this and how to change it. I feel for the women that love hockey & think (maybe even more so now) that all the men in & around the game are this judgmental towards them all the time.

Regarding 'locker room talk'; some of these things are said by players. But I also I think Leipsic represents an extreme. Most of these guys are professionals, Leipsic clearly isn't. Drance made a good point about how it was just an assault on everyone, and how he must be miserable to consistently be that much of an ass to everyone. Again, its a subject you would dive into alot of points on.

Now the privacy issue. I've seen things said like "expose them all" & 'if its 90% saying these things they should all lose their jobs'. Its kind of like, where's the line with what & how much we want to control? Are you allowed to say or think anything negative about someone? Are you only not allowed to have it if its about a women? Is it only men held to this standard? or are woman to be equally punished for saying things about men? How many negative thoughts about others are you allowed to have? Exc.

Again I want to be clear I don't support immature douchebags who are just judgmental pricks to everyone all the time. But there's also a distinction that needs to be made between the Leipsic's and regular guys (and girls) who aren't afraid to make harsher jokes & things they wouldn't normally outside the trust of their close group. And that's in all areas of life, so how much do we want to police that? (Police thought, really)

The irony, everybodys thumping the bible on freedom of speech and yet every comment is microanalyzed and exposed to criticism. People who want privacy, not wanting the web to know their habits, putting tape on webcams, and yet, they'll whip out their camera phones to take pics or videos to freely shame someone and get involved in other peoples business

15 hours ago, Toews said:

Yeah I don't think that gives him any substantial platform. People have only heard of him because he was a decent hockey player in junior with some good stints in the AHL. He is a fringe NHLer, who was never at all any good at the highest level. No one cared about his views regarding anything except hockey, until his private group chat was leaked by a hacker. I don't see any power dynamic here, just because someone is a minor (emphasis on minor) celebrity doesn't give them any more power over the the common person.

of course it does. If you have a twitter audience of 12 vs 12,000 of course there's a bigger potential impact. I'm not sure why we're arguing that point?