The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Capitals: Brendan Leipsic's Instagram messages are 'unacceptable and offensive'

Rate this topic

The photo below contains some strong language... but basically this is one of the screen grabs that shows Leipsic going after Jett Woo.

https://preview.redd.it/z11swt7j8ax41.jpg?width=960&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=eda81ef99034056b72c8eca5df16707d37d86e1f

Both are from Winnipeg.

It's weird for a 25 year old man to be saying stuff like this about an 18/19 year old.

Edited by Quantum
  • Thanks 2

We like to feign outrage. Let the players settle this!

How many of us laughed when Kesler told Backes, "Tell Kelly I said hi!"? 

Or how about this Burrows one, "I was complimenting him on his potato farm saying he must like french fries the best because he's looking a little chubby." - Alex Burrows on what made Detroit's Aaron Downey mad enough to spear the Canucks' pest during Saturday's pre-game warmup. https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/note-to-alex-burrows-watch-this-for-more-aaron-downey-material

6 hours ago, Rounoush said:

Bunch of isolated individuals in here. It's like they've never talked to real people in their life.

Everyone just wants the moral high ground.

Yes, there are lots of guys who say this kind of stuff (and far worse). But at the same time, there are also guys who honestly try to give others respect and dignity. 

If I found out one of my associates was making fun of a girl’s weight - especially right after giving birth - it wouldn’t completely surprise me. But at the same time, I would definitely question his character, and likely not want to be close friends with him. Then if I found out it’s a pattern, and even ventures into racism, I’d avoid him at all costs. I don’t condone that crap, I don’t enjoy that crap, and I don’t want any influence in my life that would possibly change that.

Call it “moral high ground” if you want...but that just sounds like an excuse to stay down in the muck.

• Cheers 3

7 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

A couple of my favourite tweets in response to this:

And after he called his linemates losers:

Who's the loser again?

I know of another guy who loves coke..

465A6BD8-7B84-4C1A-83CF-619A1501CA7D.jpeg

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

Yes they both allude to the fact that calling him a loser and a racist from one incident is highly anti-Semitic. And I just hope that the people that have this bias NEVER display it with Quinn Hughes either. I though that ideology went away in 1945 :( but I guess not.  My Bubbe would be weeping in her grave if she heard this. :sadno:

Huh, I had no idea Leipsic was Jewish. Regardless, I thought he was an asshole yesterday and I still think he’s one today. 

It’s not one incident either, it’s a pattern of behavior Leipsic displayed over a length of time which happened to come to light at once. 

6 hours ago, Lancaster said:

Not a fan of what he communicated... but this is supposed to be a private conversation.  

People should be allowed to say whatever they want in a private environment. 

You also need to live in the real world and realize that when you say this kind of stuff to multiple people, via a medium that is easy for others to take screenshots of, it’s not truly private. 

• Vintage 1

Wow, glad he's not a Canuck any longer.  I've always thought that how I behave when no one is watching is a true testament to my character.  That includes what I say and do within my close circle of family and good friends.   I understand the deliberate choices of trying to antagonize someone during a sports contest ala Burrows and Kesler, but when it's a part of everyday conversation I think that speaks of the actual character.  I don't think it's ever ok to make fun of other people for any reason, looks, intelligence, religion, sexual orientation.  

Ok, I'll admit, I have made fun of friends over their golf shots.  Always to their face though.  

9 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

I'll call him a balding little mutt with not much of an NHL future and If I was Pearson I would run him through the boards next year.  I wouldn't complain about his comments being offensive though,  seeing as how the intentions were for just his friends to see

The content WAS offensive...that doesn't change with who/how it was to be delivered to.

9 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

The point is he can say what he wants in private and it doesn't make him a bad person.  People need to chill

When you say things that are intended to demean, insult and, ultimately, hurt others it is bad.   He may not be a bad person but he did a bad thing and if this is really how he feels/lives then he really isn't a nice person either.  This group picks apart others for kicks...they're grown adults.  I'd say they own their reputations at this point.  They can still change/do good...and I hope they do.

There is a mean spirit behind their little chit chats and if some feel that he's a bad person that's his doing.  He is responsible for actions that determine how others view him.  

We teach kids not to do that...if your child's on the playground and say "fatty" about a kid we do try to adjust that behaviour.  By the time they're adults, we hope they've learned and know better.

9 hours ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

I can’t help but feel that some people upset with Brendan Leipsic are being very anti-Semitic. I don’t understand how someone coming from his personal background would be racist. I think some of the criticism in this thread from posters comes from some of their sick dislike or prejudice of his personal heritage.

This is one of the most ridiculous statements I've heard and is a complete red herring.  Please don't do this, it's so inappropriate.

8 hours ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

I feel that you’re making an anti-Semitic assumption based upon his last name only and I’m personally offended by it.

https://thehockeywriters.com/brendan-leipsic-named-jewish-athlete-year/ 

Yes, we randomly picked out Brandon Leipsic today and made a thread and he's trending on Twitter because....of something we are/did.  See how ridiculous it is to go here?

I’m definitely not defending his actions. What he said is deplorable and awful. What I’m saying is that people calling him racist and trash and slinging personal insults at him and those defending the people doing that should be ashamed. That is all. It is okay to discuss the incident but please don’t condone the personal attacks.

If you call someone a fat native that's racist.  No one even referred to race with Leipsic as I recall.  If so, report it.

Yes they both allude to the fact that calling him a loser and a racist from one incident is highly anti-Semitic. And I just hope that the people that have this bias NEVER display it with Quinn Hughes either. I though that ideology went away in 1945 :( but I guess not.  My Bubbe would be weeping in her grave if she heard this. :sadno:

Calling out a racist as a racist is not anti-semitic.  I think you need to review the meaning and not bring Quinn into this.  You are WAAAAY off base here.

7 hours ago, Lancaster said:

Not a fan of what he communicated... but this is supposed to be a private conversation.  

People should be allowed to say whatever they want in a private environment. 

Except it isn't private when someone shares it.  So be careful of what you say if you don't want it "out there" or to be responded to.  And you should not be able to bully others because when groups of people get together and talk trash about others...especially based on physical attributes, etc. that's the very root of bullying.  Often times it escalates from there.

So no...we're in a time and place that "targeting" others in a negative way is unacceptable.  If you do it privately in a group, you're still a jerk but you're lucky no one addresses it.

The league wears special jerseys to support people and what this group's doing goes against all the positive actions that they strive to aim for.  It's not going to go well for him I'm sure.

I don't wish for him to get beat up on the ice but I'm sure that if he isn't ejected from the league that he'll have to answer for his actions.  Because he said a lot of bad things about a lot of good people.  Completely unwarranted....not in the heat of battle but randomly "for fun".  I have no problem calling him a bad person if this is how he spends his time.

• Cheers 3

55 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Huh, I had no idea Leipsic was Jewish. Regardless, I thought he was an asshole yesterday and I still think he’s one today. 

It’s not one incident either, it’s a pattern of behavior Leipsic displayed over a length of time which happened to come to light at once. 

You also need to live in the real world and realize that when you say this kind of stuff to multiple people, via a medium that is easy for others to take screenshots of, it’s not truly private. 

1 minute ago, debluvscanucks said:

Except it isn't private when someone shares it.  So be careful of what you say if you don't want it "out there" or to be responded to.  And you should not be able to bully others because when groups of people get together and talk trash about others...especially based on physical attributes, etc. that's the very root of bullying.  Often times it escalates from there.

So no...we're in a time and place that "targeting" others in a negative way is unacceptable.  If you do it privately in a group, you're still a jerk but you're lucky no one addresses it.

Not saying he's smart, but there is an expected amount of privacy when it comes to private messages.  

Unless he is actually going out there insulting people to their face, conspiring to bullying them, or inciting violence.... it's a non-story IMO.  

Not of fan of people acting like bigots.... but unless tangibly harming others, they can do whatever they want.  

I can’t help but feel that some people upset with Brendan Leipsic are being very anti-Semitic. I don’t understand how someone coming from his personal background would be racist. I think some of the criticism in this thread from posters comes from some of their sick dislike or prejudice of his personal heritage.

Come On What GIF by MOODMAN

1. no-one brought religion into this until you brought it up.

2. pretty sure very few know he's jewish (I didn't). I don't care what personal heritage an athlete has.

3. he's a 25 year old white boy born in manitoba saying racist s$%t about first nations people. Understand now?

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

Not saying he's smart, but there is an expected amount of privacy when it comes to private messages.  

Unless he is actually going out there insulting people to their face, conspiring to bullying them, or inciting violence.... it's a non-story IMO.  

Not of fan of people acting like bigots.... but unless tangibly harming others, they can do whatever they want.  

Expectations only go so far when you're using a 3rd party's service and multiple people are involved. I used to work at a fairly large social media company and one of guidelines for employees was "under no circumstances should you ever say anything via DM that you wouldn't want the entire website to read". 

But from reading the chat, and on this point we seem to agree, I don't believe Leipsic was smart enough to have that much forethought. 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

Yesterday I thought this guy was just some asshole that was stupid enough to get caught saying inappropriate stuff.

Today I am learning that some of the criticism was motivated by antisemitism.

Who would have thunk it?

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Leipsic has the right to think and say whatever he wants. But Leipsic’s “right” to play NHL hockey is subject to the CBA, which includes Article 18-A.2, which states that if a player is “guilty of conduct (whether during or outside the playing season) that is detrimental to or against the welfare of the League or the game of hockey, [the Commissioner] may discipline such Player in any or all of the following respects:
(a) by expelling or suspending such Player for a definite or indefinite period;
(b) by cancelling any SPC that such Player has with any Member Club; or
(c) by imposing a fine on the Player not exceeding the maximum permissible fine
under Section 18.7(b).”

Pretty much this exactly. There are probably far worse group chats out there, too bad for Leipsic their's got leaked. While personally I think what he and the others said is ridiculous and that they wouldnt have the balls to say the same things to the people's faces, he did nothing illegal and can say or think whatever he wants as long as its not a direct threat. 

Unfortunately while being an ass is his right, it will probably cost him. The NHL decision of course will be based on $$ and Leipsic is not exactly a top draw to say the least so if they dont feel that him staying in the league will outweigh the damage to the NHL's reputation (doubtful) and therefore cost them money, he's done. 

Edited by Ronaldoescobar

13 minutes ago, Ronaldoescobar said:

Pretty much this exactly. There are probably far worse group chats out there, too bad for Leipsic their's got leaked. While personally I think what he and the others said is ridiculous and that they wouldnt have the balls to say the same things to the people's faces, he did nothing illegal and can say or think whatever he wants as long as its not a direct threat. 

Unfortunately while being an ass is his right, it will probably cost him. The NHL decision of course will be based on $$ and Leipsic is not exactly a top draw to say the least so if they dont feel that him staying in the league will outweigh the damage to the NHL's reputation (doubtful) and therefore cost them money, he's done. 

Thing is, though, they didn't "say it"...they typed it.  Shared pictures and added commentary.  It can possibly be illegal as in "libel" - I'm no expert but others here are and can probably chime in?  Especially some of the vulgar stuff.  

Being an ass is his right...targeting others and maliciously sharing comments with pictures may not be.   

Even a guy who was suicidal whose girlfriend basically, over time,  said "just do it" after going back and forth learned about how words can be very damaging.  He ultimately made the decision but her words came back to bite her.

The same with sharing pictures of ex's.

Obviously, this isn't the same but words that are shared in a public forum (even IF private) can be incriminating and followed up on.  

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Thing is, though, they didn't "say it"...they typed it.  Shared pictures and added commentary.  It can possibly be illegal as in "libel" - I'm no expert but others here are and can probably chime in?  Especially some of the vulgar stuff.  

Being an ass is his right...targeting others and maliciously sharing comments with pictures may not be.   

Even a guy who was suicidal whose girlfriend basically, over time,  said "just do it" after going back and forth learned about how words can be very damaging.  He ultimately made the decision but her words came back to bite her.

The same with sharing pictures of ex's.

Obviously, this isn't the same but words that are shared in a public forum (even IF private) can be incriminating and followed up on.  

Possibly slander as i believe that libel actually means it has to be published but I am not a legal expert by any means. I think that would most likely be a civil matter if anything. 

Now if any of those words lead to a situation such as that which happened in Massachusetts then things will escalate for sure.

Of course what i said was not meant to imply I take the position that it was not damaging and/or hurtful by any means as i think what was said was awful. Unfortunately I believe it to be quite common even outside of private chat groups these days :( 

• Cheers 1