The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Top 50 Canucks of All-Time - #46

Rate this topic

-AJ-

Top 50 Canucks of All-Time - #46  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the #46 Canuck of All-Time?

This poll is closed to new votes

9 hours ago, Hogs & Podz said:

I don't know about you guys but Gelinas was a canuck for 5 seasons and two he scored 30+ goals.  Better stats (then anyone else on the list),  some if his best years with the Canucks and played an important roll on the team.  He's my pick.

Nominating: Sandlak

Next Malholtra.

Nothing wrong with that - but then we should also be considering Pederson and Cassels if it’s about points only...and don’t forget Lanz and McCarthy are defenseman - with PGP are not far of Gelinas really - and Fraser did have a 67 point season with us and was a top fighter in his era - imagine Gino doing that or Brashear?  Love Gelinas and have mentioned him several times...scored at a higher rate then Horvat has mostly in the dead puck era and like others on this list already (Tiger for example) - led our team in goals in the middle of the Keenan era - dark ages.   And played an important role for us in 1994...will nominate his line mate Momesso...one tough cookie - best scary mug in team history with all due respect to Tim Hunter - Garth Butcher and more recently Juice.  

Voted McCarthy - team captain - one of our best defenseman ever (Lanz is up next another great defenseman we’ve had).  

• Vintage 2

10 hours ago, goalie13 said:

After all that discussion last thread, I think I might nominate Cloutier for a change.

::D

189lbs were is the beach ball meme...or the puck one.  Never seen that one before couldn’t help but laugh when you posted it yesterday- poor Cloutier.  Master class at blowing things ... made Luongo’s gaffs look like Hasek was in net.   At least with Luongo we knew he’d come back - often played amazing after a bad game including in 2011 final (2 shutouts in a 7 game final is pretty clutch).   And also had the best goaltending display ever for us against Turco so could string a bunch together too.   Cloutier was ok - and I actually didn’t mind him as much as some - but his legacy unfortunately is not a great one - both Auld and Skudra played about the same for us and they were ok but not good either (as back-ups).   Wins the most mediocre goalie all-time award.  

Lidstroms center ice goal is up there with Smiths gaffe in EDM - up 2-0 against 2002 Detroit who everyone expected to win the cup that year after the trade deadline.  We actually outplayed them - WCE peak prime was one of the best lines we’ve ever had and they were killing them.  Our defense was doing a great job for us too against a murderers row of all-time greats.    Was in shock watching that go in and had a bad feeling.  Had the same bad feeling when TB lost game 7 and we drew Boston (well Thomas more then anything).  And again with the Rome hit.  Well a lot of bad feelings over the years - and Cloutiers failures certainly stain his legacy with us.  Almost cried tears of joy when we traded for Luongo.   At the time I thought we just won a cup - goaltending was Burke’s biggest failure for us too.  Don’t know why he didn’t trade picks or a prospect and decent roster player for a veteran back-up just in case Cloutier lost his mojo at the deadlines.  Bet he’s still kicking himself over that. 

• Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Lidstroms center ice goal is up there with Smiths gaffe in EDM - up 2-0 against 2002 Detroit who everyone expected to win the cup that year after the trade deadline.  We actually outplayed them - WCE peak prime was one of the best lines we’ve ever had and they were killing them.  Our defense was doing a great job for us too against a murderers row of all-time greats.    Was in shock watching that go in and had a bad feeling.  Had the same bad feeling when TB lost game 7 and we drew Boston (well Thomas more then anything).  And again with the Rome hit.  Well a lot of bad feelings over the years...

I remember at the start of game 5 against Boston, just before the puck drop, they zoomed in on Luongo's eyes in the crease and I said to the people I was watching with that he's winning this game.

Then they did the same thing at the start of game 7 and I said...this doesn't look good.  Absolutely different look in his eyes.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, kingfreako said:

Same as last time - voting Gelinas, nominating Momesso.

My main man!  Momesso was one of my favourite players to watch during the prime Linden teams.  Hit often and hard - always involved in scrums and chirping players and watched Ronnings and everyone’s back.  He wasn’t as skilled as some of the best at fighting and playing - but made a big impact anyways and scored his fair share too and was a huge leader and teammate for Vancouver.  Fought some tough tough hombres - the one of Kruse you posted yesterday (a clear win for Momesso)- well he was ranked in the 18-22 range a few times as top enforcer (94-96) - Manson top 10-15 too and a Momesso throat punch permanently damaged his voice (why it’s all raspy and only speaks in soft tones)...really good in tight and with his uppercuts.   Plus like I’ve mentioned before always looked like he hadn’t slept in a week and would be the last face you’d want to bump into in a dark alley.   Maybe a bit if a homer pick given who’s still available - but if Hansen and Cooke can get in he’s the first middle six player that played a decent amount of years for us I’d take of the board first. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, IBatch said:

My main man!  Momesso was one of my favourite players to watch during the prime Linden teams.  Hit often and hard - always involved in scrums and chirping players and watched Ronnings and everyone’s back.  He wasn’t as skilled as some of the best at fighting and playing - but made a big impact anyways and scored his fair share too and was a huge leader and teammate for Vancouver.  Fought some tough tough hombres - the one of Kruse you posted yesterday (a clear win for Momesso)- well he was ranked in the 18-22 range a few times as top enforcer (94-96) - Manson top 10-15 too and a Momesso throat punch permanently damaged his voice (why it’s all raspy and only speaks in soft tones)...really good in tight and with his uppercuts.   Plus like I’ve mentioned before always looked like he hadn’t slept in a week and would be the last face you’d want to bump into in a dark alley.   Maybe a bit if a homer pick given who’s still available - but if Hansen and Cooke can get in he’s the first middle six player that played a decent amount of years for us I’d take of the board first. 

If I could have only one of the three on my team (Momesso, Hansen and Cooke) I would take Momesso.  But Hansen built up so much seniority (something like 560 games to 260) that it's hard not to vote Hansen first.  Momesso was a great player though.  Heart and fire, that's what I said was my kind of hockey in one of these threads maybe back in the late 30s for voting or something.  Momesso is up there on the all time heart and fire list for the Canucks.  Watched him punch, be punched, crush guys into the boards, be crushed, bleed, draw blood and cry.

Guy was talented too.  His junior numbers in the Q were unreal.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

I remember at the start of game 5 against Boston, just before the puck drop, they zoomed in on Luongo's eyes in the crease and I said to the people I was watching with that he's winning this game.

Then they did the same thing at the start of game 7 and I said...this doesn't look good.  Absolutely different look in his eyes.

Game 7 was a team loss as much as anything - but I know exactly what you mean.   Goaltending is a tough position- only a few guys all-time had the “it” factor when the chips were done - Luongo had the ability to shut the door completely and he did it for us several times during that run.  McLean in game one in 94 did that for us - it was obvious we were seriously outmatched at the beginning of the series but he pulled a Roy/Sawchuck/Hasek like production and gave the team the time they needed to physically wear down NYR and claw our way back into it.   Luongo won so many games in Florida that they should have lost I knew we were going to be great as soon as we traded for him.  One of the most consistent goalies of his generation and all-time as well.   The rare bad games were almost always followed by a terrific one.  He wasn’t terrible in game 7 - but Thomas was extraordinary unfortunately.    If we won Luongo would become a first ballot HHOFer..even with the shootout wins (that should be considered ties in the record books IMO) he still has over 400 wins - which for me at least is a huge case for making it in.  Gold medals of course help too. 

5 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

If I could have only one of the three on my team (Momesso, Hansen and Cooke) I would take Momesso.  But Hansen built up so much seniority (something like 560 games to 260) that it's hard not to vote Hansen first.  Momesso was a great player though.  Heart and fire, that's what I said was my kind of hockey in one of these threads maybe back in the late 30s for voting or something.  Momesso is up there on the all time heart and fire list for the Canucks.  Watched him punch, be punched, crush guys into the boards, be crushed, bleed, draw blood and cry.

You bet - at this point we are in the five year or less range for a lot of nominations and guys available - McCarthy and Lanz were arguably better then Edler and definitely Salo - but had to wait this long to get their due..  term served definitely matters where greatness is concerned.  Still voting for the above before Murzyn - who held the same position as Tanev (who’s already in) for a decade and had more intangibles, plus playoffs and also played on some bad teams too.   My only point was if I had to choose between Hansen, Cooke and Momesso, I’d pick Momesso...for the above maybe Ohlund over Lanz but not the other guys.  Which says a lot about the quality of guys that played for us...

43 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Game 7 was a team loss as much as anything - but I know exactly what you mean.   Goaltending is a tough position- only a few guys all-time had the “it” factor when the chips were done - Luongo had the ability to shut the door completely and he did it for us several times during that run.  McLean in game one in 94 did that for us - it was obvious we were seriously outmatched at the beginning of the series but he pulled a Roy/Sawchuck/Hasek like production and gave the team the time they needed to physically wear down NYR and claw our way back into it.   Luongo won so many games in Florida that they should have lost I knew we were going to be great as soon as we traded for him.  One of the most consistent goalies of his generation and all-time as well.   The rare bad games were almost always followed by a terrific one.  He wasn’t terrible in game 7 - but Thomas was extraordinary unfortunately.    If we won Luongo would become a first ballot HHOFer..even with the shootout wins (that should be considered ties in the record books IMO) he still has over 400 wins - which for me at least is a huge case for making it in.  Gold medals of course help too. 

Brodeur played like he was touched by the hand of god all the way through the first three rounds.  It was said by some that he would have won the Conn Smythe if the Canucks had won a single game in the final.  I know you said your book called the 1982 final the worst since expansion but I think 1983 was worse and the Canucks put up a much more dignified fight than the Oilers did when they got swept by the same team.

McLean played the same way for almost every game all through all four rounds.

Luongo...  Man, I'm sure sports psychologists could write book after book about that guy.  Two games Patrick Roy, one game Cloutier, three games Roy, one game Cloutier.

And Luongo, great as he was, seemed to have an incredible propensity for allowing a goal in the final minute of regulation.  If such stats were available and someone could find his GAA by minute of the game, I wouldn't be surprised if it was something like 5.00 for the 60th minute.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

37 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Brodeur played like he was touched by the hand of god all the way through the first three rounds.  It was said by some that he would have won the Conn Smythe if the Canucks had won a single game in the final.  I know you said your book called the 1982 final the worst since expansion but I think 1983 was worse and the Canucks put up a much more dignified fight than the Oilers did when they got swept by the same team.

Luongo...  Man, I'm sure sports psychologists could write book after book about that guy.  Two games Patrick Roy, one game Cloutier, three games Roy, one game Cloutier.

And Luongo, great as he was, seemed to have an incredible propensity for allowing a goal in the final minute of regulation.  If such stats were available and someone could find his GAA by minute of the game, I wouldn't be surprised if it was something like 5.00 for the 60th minute.

That's a great description.  In the 2011 run Luongo held the opposition to 2 or fewer goals 14 times to McLeans' 8 in 1994.  HOWEVER  Luongo also got shelled for 5+ goals 4 times to only 2 for McLean.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

TBH, I would take Cooke over Hansen, if only for the grit and big playoff goals Cooke scored, whereas Hansen was only more of a speedy defensive player (which is still fine). 

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Great points.  I hated watching the little drama Luongo started after game one commenting on the one goal  Thomas let in as a routine save (felt oh brother too early to get that cocky) - following the pumping tires comments - and how he was taking long walks on the beach to clear his head for game 7 etc (ugh really? How’s that supposed to inspire fans?  Going from extreme confidence to utter uncertainty)   Really TMI and the entire exchange  backfired in the end.  

About 1982 - I absolutely agree with

you.  That run started a iconic brand new thing for the entire NHL with towel power and if anything it should be acknowledged as one of greatest stories for a losing team ever.  No McCarthy etc and yet we still went all the way.   Broduer was one of my early favourite NHLers - I was too young to really know or understand the significance of what he did but I sure did hear what others were saying at the time and they thought very highly of that team and him.   My two favourite goalies back then were King Richard (anyone who’s nicknamed that has to be great right?) and Pete Peters because I thought it was a cool name.  So I will defer to your experience and expertise on the subject - it means more then some maybe THN writers who include some gen x (that’s me) and mellienials making a list for the boringnest or worst final ever.   NYI punched a lot higher then almost any team ever at that point - didn’t they pretty much wipe the floor of the EDM Oilers their first try too?  Not to mention how good PHI and MTL were at the time still too.   I’m very proud of that team - even though I was still in grade school it was buzzing down to that level and I was in Victoria at the time. 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, IBatch said:

How about this goal by Momesso in game 2 of the '94 SCF? Such a fantastic, gritty forecheck by the Canucks on that shift. Unfortunately, it was the only goal of the game for the Canucks...

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

27 minutes ago, kingfreako said:

How about this goal by Momesso in game 2 of the '94 SCF? Such a fantastic, gritty forecheck by the Canucks on that shift. Unfortunately, it was the only goal of the game for the Canucks...

Yep...he was a great Canuck for sure.  One of many players on that team (and most of them are already in - except Gelinas, Murzyn and one could make a case for Diduck, Brown and even Craven too) that had clutch ability ... what a ride that was.   Cooke and Hansen fans notice he was wearing the A.   On personally I’d say the greatest team we’ve ever had (cue the reactions ha ha).  

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

9 hours ago, IBatch said:

My two favourite goalies back then were King Richard (anyone who’s nicknamed that has to be great right?) and Pete Peters because I thought it was a cool name.

That era had several great goalies and great names.  Mike Palmateer was a great goalie and great name.  Reggie "Let 'em in" Lemelin.  Mike Liut.  Gilles Meloche.  Roberto Romano.  Corrado Micalef.  Warren Skorodenski.  Michel Dion.  Pat Riggin.  Mario Lessard.  Rick Wamsley.  The tail end of the careers of Tony Esposito, Rogie Vachon, Glenn Resch and Bunny Larocque.

Larocque, Dion and Liut all wore my favorite, the "evil duck" shaped mask.

front.jpg

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

• -AJ- locked this topic