The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Top 50 Canucks of All-Time - #47

Rate this topic

-AJ-

Top 50 Canucks of All-Time - #47  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the #47 Canuck of All-Time?

This poll is closed to new votes

33 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

It's always been a somewhat fickle market.  A lot of the towel wavers of 82 weren't exactly filling the stands in the mid-to-late 80s before Trevor Linden showed up and did a Pettersson / Hughes on the fan base again.  Then everybody freaked out a bit from 89-90 to 90-91 when the Canucks were horrible in 89-90 and then the town gave up on Kirk McLean when Gamble was a little bit better than him for one year in 90-91.  Then they all had egg on their face from 92-94.

The only thing I couldn't watch and support was Messier and Keenan hollowing the team out like a pair of termites.  It was like watching an alcoholic relative or something, just a car going over a cliff in slow motion with no intention of turning the steering wheel in any other direction.

Much has been made about the return we got for Linden, but we got pennies on the dollar for everybody else.  McLean became Garth Snow and everyone else (Gelinas, Babych, Odjick, etc.) became basically nothing except Brad May.  Pavel Bure and Bret Hedican for Jovanovski in the final analysis.  I mean, I like Jovanovski but...

Good post.   What happened didn’t stop me from making the effort to get to Vancouver once or twice a year but it wasn’t the same and really now is still a sore spot.   After the initial shock  I was excited about Messier - he did just come off two great seasons on year scoring 48 goals and at the time anyways didn’t appear to be close to slowing down - the next Howe and all of that (who had his career years at 40).   Without Ronning our second line needed a boost and we had two of the best wingers in the game - plus Gelinas who was no slouch either.    After 94 and even 95 which was a strange half year I felt that the team was going to get many more chances (which really it should have given the age of the core right?)...

One of the things that sucked was I loved Messier growing up - he was a truly amazing player - skated like the wind - tough as nails - could deke and score or just kick off like he was starting an old hog and place it top corner.   Didn’t forgive him for Momesso - but was willing to give it a go with him.    I didn’t be-grudge NYR that much - they were the best team in the league for a couple of years which said a lot given how good PIT was...and Messier was a Hart winner legend and all that - in other words they were a top opponent and we were the underdog that almost did it (Rocky right?) that played .500 that year. It did feel like a gut punch / but hey we just landed Messier!!  Wasn’t happy with Keenan coming one tiny bit later though..

My only regret is I couldn’t help but compare the WCE team to the early 90’s one and shamefully never got behind them as much as I should have.  Getting Linden back helped ... but then was like why isn’t he on the PP? Ha ha.  Even at the end he great  in my eyes - I questioned Naslunds leadership constantly - and Bure for Jovo was hard given at the time he was winning or would be winning multiple Richard awards on a crap Florida team.   And don’t get me started on Cloutier - that was almost unforgivable by management.  Glad Burke came in and ousted Keanen in relatively short order...but he should have gone out and signed a proven vet - the entire hockey world knew that our goaltending was suspect but we did nothing about it - even though we could swim in the deep in with the big fish with him.   Same with Morrison to a certain degree.  Didn’t like that trade either - but happy Mogilny went on and won a cup in NJ. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

11 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Good post.   What happened didn’t stop me from making the effort to get to Vancouver once or twice a year but it wasn’t the same and really now is still a sore spot.   After the initial shock  I was excited about Messier - he did just come off two great seasons on year scoring 48 goals and at the time anyways didn’t appear to be close to slowing down - the next Howe and all of that (who had his career years at 40).   Without Ronning our second line needed a boost and we had two of the best wingers in the game - plus Gelinas who was no slouch either.    After 94 and even 95 which was a strange half year I felt that the team was going to get many more chances (which really it should have given the age of the core right?)...

One of the things that sucked was I loved Messier growing up - he was a truly amazing player - skated like the wind - tough as nails - could deke and score or just kick off like he was starting an old hog and place it top corner.   Didn’t forgive him for Momesso - but was willing to give it a go with him.    I didn’t be-grudge NYR that much - they were the best team in the league for a couple of years which said a lot given how good PIT was...and Messier was a Hart winner legend and all that - in other words they were a top opponent and we were the underdog that almost did it (Rocky right?) that played .500 that year. It did feel like a gut punch / but hey we just landed Messier!!  Wasn’t happy with Keenan coming one tiny bit later though..

My only regret is I couldn’t help but compare the WCE team to the early 90’s one and shamefully never got behind them as much as I should have.  Getting Linden back helped ... but then was like why isn’t he on the PP? Ha ha.  Even at the end he great  in my eyes - I questioned Naslunds leadership constantly - and Bure for Jovo was hard given at the time he was winning or would be winning multiple Richard awards on a crap Florida team.   And don’t get me started on Cloutier - that was almost unforgivable by management.  Glad Burke came in and ousted Keanen in relatively short order...but he should have gone out and signed a proven vet - the entire hockey world knew that our goaltending was suspect but we did nothing about it - even though we could swim in the deep in with the big fish with him.   Same with Morrison to a certain degree.  Didn’t like that trade either - but happy Mogilny went on and won a cup in NJ. 

I liked Messier when he was a little bit unsung with the Oilers in the 80s.  After 1994 he became a god in his own mind and...was such a fantastic leader in Vancouver that he had to have every single player that was there before him traded away so he could feel comfortable.  Kind of like Marshall Petain of France in World War 2.  He was a hero of World War 1, then when France got invaded, he was the coward that led the puppet government for Germany while De Gaulle (Linden) went in exile as the true leader of France, to return once the occupation was over.

As to the WCE teams...I was behind them about as much as was called for I think.  I hoped for the best but learned to expect the worst come Game 83.  As to Naslund, his leadership was and is subject to some questions.  Smyl and Linden led the team like Mel Gibson in Braveheart or Maximus in Gladiator.  Naslund was mostly just an excellent hockey player with a calm demeanor and a lot of poise.  That's certainly better than being led by a lunatic (Tortorella), a sadist (Keenan) or a lazy coward (Messier).

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

35 minutes ago, IBatch said:

And don’t get me started on Cloutier - that was almost unforgivable by management.  Glad Burke came in and ousted Keanen in relatively short order...but he should have gone out and signed a proven vet - the entire hockey world knew that our goaltending was suspect but we did nothing about it - even though we could swim in the deep in with the big fish with him.

Yeah, I was just like...get one of these guys that was either a Vezina candidate or made it to the final and then got kicked to the curb.  Any of them...Turek, Cechmanek.  Those guys literally just had their careers suddenly end right when the WCE was doing its thing.

21 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Yeah, I was just like...get one of these guys that was either a Vezina candidate or made it to the final and then got kicked to the curb.  Any of them...Turek, Cechmanek.  Those guys literally just had their careers suddenly end right when the WCE was doing its thing.

Maybe I'm remembering wrong but wasn't Cloutier supposed to hold us over till Alex Auld was ready to go?  I think Johan Hedberg came with a bit of hype as well lol

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Baratheon said:

Maybe I'm remembering wrong but wasn't Cloutier supposed to hold us over till Alex Auld was ready to go?  I think Johan Hedberg came with a bit of hype as well lol

It was one after the other after the other ...Weekes was also supposed to be the next one.    Back then Skudra and Auld game Cloutier a run for his money and before Clouiter it was even a bigger mess which I think made it both harder for fans and management to justify waiting for him to take the next step instead of cutting the cord and quite possibly going back to a Snow, Burke, Potvin etc situation.  Was a merry-go-round before Dan - which surely exasperated things.  And really he was a true number one - just not the one the team really needed at the time.  Didnt make things easier with Kipper and Giguiere or even Roloson doing their thing in ANA, EDM and CAL around that time either.  

Edited by IBatch
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, IBatch said:

It was one after the other after the other ...Weekes was also supposed to be the next one.    Back then Skudra and Auld game Cloutier a run for his money and before Clouiter it was even a bigger mess which I think made it both harder for fans and management to justify waiting for him to take the next step instead of cutting the cord and quite possibly going back to a Snow, Burke, Potvin etc situation.  Was a merry-go-round before Dan - which surely exasperated things.  And really he was a true number one - just not the one the team really needed at the time.  Didnt make things easier with Kipper and Giguiere or even Roloson doing their thing in ANA, EDM and CAL around that time either.  

Yeah "the goalie graveyard" days haha.  I was excited about Bob Essensa back in the day.

It's what makes me afraid to lose Markstrom.  I understand that it's a little easier to get goaltenders these days but I am traumatized by the dark era.

• Vintage 1

16 hours ago, kingfreako said:

Same as before - voted Gelinas, nominated Momesso. Purely for nostalgic reasons :P

I gotta say though, it makes me so happy that we've made it this far without Messier being nominated!

Ha ha ... even I recognize that’s social suicide and I sometimes can’t keep my mouth shut when I probably should.  I like  both these guys... (Momesso/Gelinas)

Edited by IBatch

5 minutes ago, Baratheon said:

I wouldn't feel right about voting Brock Boeser in this round but I'm pulling for those of you who are!

A little early but he has had one of the best starts of any Canuck draft pick for sure...

Lanz and Murzyn are deserving for sure - length of tenure with us - Lanz one of our all time best offensive defensive guy with three 48-57 point seasons - higher PGP then Edler, Ohlund, Salo, Jovo etc...almost the same as Oddleifson and Horvat..scored 18 goals for us one year too... high    Murzyn ten years with us - part of the longest pairing in our history with Lumme - wore the A ... won the Pratt over Lumme with one of the highest plus minus showings in our history (plus 34), only a minus one year of the Keenan year (-1) - IMO equal to or better career then Tanev who’s already in.    Votes are spreading out quite a bit now - looks like BB or Oddliefson might take this one...

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

14 minutes ago, IBatch said:

A little early but he has had one of the best starts of any Canuck draft pick for sure...

Boeser does have a great start.  But is it that much greater than Tallon and Hlinka (not a draft pick I know) and Guevremont who aren't even getting more than one or two nominations yet, and certainly aren't anywhere close to being up for voting...

Boeser had a good All-Star Game, but I'll take Hlinka's run to the last round of the playoffs (3rd best points per game on the team for the playoffs) if put to a choice.

Oh well, not telling you anything you don't already know but I figure a few people might not hear names like Guevremont otherwise.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Like 1