The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Games In Empty Arena's, Would You Buy Pay per View?

Rate this topic

Lazurus

17 hours ago, goalie13 said:

Free?  You haven't seen my cable bill.  ::D

Rogers paid $5.2B for the rights to NHL games.  TSN has a couple of regional deals.  Out of market games are on NHL Live / Centre Ice.  There are no NHL games that aren't spoken for to support the OP's weird desire to spend more money to watch hockey.

Over the antenna on CBC is just about the only free games you can get.

18 hours ago, Chris12345 said:

No.

I am a hardcore NHL fan. I can even watch Detroit vs Ottawa.

There's zero chance I am watching hockey after June 15th regardless of who is playing so heck no I ain't paying.

Summer is dedicated to the lake, setting suns, bbqs etc. My tv doesn't even turn on until Oct.1.

I think they lose their outside the lower mainland base for the summer months. The rest of us who farm, dirtbike, boat, camp, fish etc, will be far too busy to sit around all summer just to watch hockey.       Viewership will probably be down 50% for the Canucks during July/August.

I can understand down south it won’t matter as most people don’t have yards to maintain or can’t afford outside hobbies. But to those with lives, there’s a lot of outdoors things going on starting this time of year until end of October.

1 hour ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

I think they lose their outside the lower mainland base for the summer months. The rest of us who farm, dirtbike, boat, camp, fish etc, will be far too busy to sit around all summer just to watch hockey.       Viewership will probably be down 50% for the Canucks during July/August.

I can understand down south it won’t matter as most people don’t have yards to maintain or can’t afford outside hobbies. But to those with lives, there’s a lot of outdoors things going on starting this time of year until end of October.

Down south, really?  How far south?  The issue here is that you cut your grass early in the morning or in the evening because it is 90-degrees outside and 90% humidity.  As for ice quality, having skated here a couple of times in September, when it is still hot and humid, the ice quality was not very good.  What I am trying to say is that a lot of people down this far south like being in their air conditioned homes, drinking some sweet tea, and watching hockey (I really mean football).

3 hours ago, The Colt 45s said:

Down south, really?  How far south?  The issue here is that you cut your grass early in the morning or in the evening because it is 90-degrees outside and 90% humidity.  As for ice quality, having skated here a couple of times in September, when it is still hot and humid, the ice quality was not very good.  What I am trying to say is that a lot of people down this far south like being in their air conditioned homes, drinking some sweet tea, and watching hockey (I really mean football).

How far south? 90 degrees seems cold to me for the summer I'd have to convert it....

Edited by Chris12345

On 5/9/2020 at 10:05 AM, Chris12345 said:

How far south? 90 degrees seems cold to me for the summer I'd have to convert it....

Ninety-degrees is about 32-celsuis. Have seen it 109, which is about 43-celsius. The earliest we have been in the pool was mid-March and the latest was late November.  But the humidity is a lot. You will sweat and you don't dry off in the sun.  But we love living life in Houston, Texas.

Edited by The Colt 45s
  • Cheers 1

On 5/8/2020 at 9:01 AM, HKSR said:

No, I'll listen in on CKNW and catch the highlights on Sports Page.

What?  Wait what year is this?  I'm confused.

Maybe win some tickets on Sports Night trivia.....

Loved that show.

I was hoping that NHL PPV died out a decade a or more ago.

I am taking a seasonal break shortly so I will have no TV, There's no sports to watch anyway so why pay a $100 bucks for garbage. 

Sunshine and warm weather mixed in with a bit of Netflix here and there will carry me over.

Lol pay per view? Yea I'll stream it for free for sure. 

I'd rather cut my own throat that give 1 more penny to Roger's. Sorry for being negative... I genuinely like to focus on positives and respect people but this crooked organization deserves 0 respect. 

You know how many people including myself Roger's has unfairly given price increases to in the middle of a pandemic? Other companies are being empathetic during a pandemic but not Roger's, here take a price increase instead! We know times are hard so we feel price increases are exactly what our most loyal clients deserve lol 

Years ago they screwed me over and I was stupid enough to go back when they had a rep call me and offer me some bs. 

Roger's and ICBC are equally as crooked. Lobbying government to make sure their competition is minimal... Smh. 

• Cheers 1

32 minutes ago, apollo said:

Lol pay per view? Yea I'll stream it for free for sure. 

I'd rather cut my own throat that give 1 more penny to Roger's. Sorry for being negative... I genuinely like to focus on positives and respect people but this crooked organization deserves 0 respect. 

You know how many people including myself Roger's has unfairly given price increases to in the middle of a pandemic? Other companies are being empathetic during a pandemic but not Roger's, here take a price increase instead! We know times are hard so we feel price increases are exactly what our most loyal clients deserve lol 

Years ago they screwed me over and I was stupid enough to go back when they had a rep call me and offer me some bs. 

Roger's and ICBC are equally as crooked. Lobbying government to make sure their competition is minimal... Smh. 

The only way I've been able to get Robbers to honour their own contract was by having the CCTS deal with them.  They should be considered a criminal organization.  Refuse to do any kind of business with them regardless of how good the "deal" is.

Edited by King Heffy
  • Like 1

I’m wondering if Canucks will have Live Streaming of Fans at home watching the game and using that streaming Fan audio for ambient noise. Not sure how it would work but a live audio game reaction by fans would be great. 

Miss Canuck hockey can’t wait to get it back.

Go Canucks Go

Pay per view?

I'm still POed they filled the boards with advertising. 

First the ads we must watch on TV and radio. Now they even squeeze in short ads between whistles. But fine I understand that. Have to pay some way. Add that to the cable bill we must also pay.

Then the boards filled with ads,

Then they paint ads on the ice surface.

Then even virtual ads behind the goalies

Then hosts of radio and TV have to read sponsor ads on top of regular ads

Then they will try and get away with this on top of it.

Enough already.

Ah, simpler times when one could actually just watch the hockey.

bruins-canadiens.jpg

Edited by kilgore

On 5/17/2020 at 2:00 PM, kilgore said:

Pay per view?

I'm still POed they filled the boards with advertising. 

First the ads we must watch on TV and radio. Now they even squeeze in short ads between whistles. But fine I understand that. Have to pay some way. Add that to the cable bill we must also pay.

Then the boards filled with ads,

Then they paint ads on the ice surface.

Then even virtual ads behind the goalies

Then hosts of radio and TV have to read sponsor ads on top of regular ads

Then they will try and get away with this on top of it.

Enough already.

Ah, simpler times when one could actually just watch the hockey.

bruins-canadiens.jpg

You realize that in those days there was next to no tv coverage right?  Ad revenue is the reason the networks pay for the rights to broadcast. You can go back to only being able to listen to local broadcasts and seeing maybe 20 games a year broadcast. I’m fine with how things are now. That said. Companies have already paid for the broadcast rights and consumers have already paid for various sports packages. There’s no blood to get from this stone in the way of PPV 

Edited by qwijibo

2 hours ago, qwijibo said:

You realize that in those days there was next to no tv coverage right?  Ad revenue is the reason the networks pay for the rights to broadcast. You can go back to only being able to listen to local broadcasts and seeing maybe 20 games a year broadcast. I’m fine with how things are now. That said. Companies have already paid for the broadcast rights and consumers have already paid for various sports packages. There’s no blood to get from this stone in the way of PPV 

You raise a good point. I did say I am okay with some ad sponsorship. But that list that I started is getting longer. Enough!  I didn't even mention ticket prices. If they can think of a way to make more money they will.  And guess what happens? The salary cap goes up, and a player like Tanev goes up from 5 million to 6.5 million. The hockey doesn't change, just the cost of watching it.  Both on the pocket book and the brain.

I'm waiting/dreading this coming next

3ZLP_PJoDBVznRnSdbJMBf7peM9kAyW0JgRzW-W3

5 minutes ago, kilgore said:

You raise a good point. I did say I am okay with some ad sponsorship. But that list that I started is getting longer. Enough!  I didn't even mention ticket prices. If they can think of a way to make more money they will.  And guess what happens? The salary cap goes up, and a player like Tanev goes up from 5 million to 6.5 million. The hockey doesn't change, just the cost of watching it.  Both on the pocket book and the brain.

I'm waiting/dreading this coming next

3ZLP_PJoDBVznRnSdbJMBf7peM9kAyW0JgRzW-W3

Jersey ads are a hill I'm willing to die on.  Those are abominations.

• Upvote 1