The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Montreal signs 2018 2nd round pick Alexander Romanov

Watching this past WJC opened my eyes to how big of an impact he leaves on a game.

1. Physical dman who can skate, move the puck, and really frustrate his opponents with his tenacious game.  Also like a blend of Andrei Markov and Alexei Emelin
  • Cheers 3

25 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Watching this past WJC opened my eyes to how big of an impact he leaves on a game.

1. Physical dman who can skate, move the puck, and really frustrate his opponents with his tenacious game.  Also like a blend of Andrei Markov and Alexei Emelin

He's 5'11" and 185, looks to me like Torey Krug which would be pretty good next to Weber, however long Shea's productive (and if he earns a spot)

46 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

If this is the case Montreal has an amazing player.

Hard not to see him in the WJC..  kid was a total standout,  a man amongst boys..  His mind is ahead of the play, his skating and skill set above average, and his physical play with purpose..  

Hard to believe he went in the 2nd round actually,.   

2 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Offensive abilities of Markov and the physicality of Emelin? Habs fans should be drooling over this kid if that’s the case. 

1 hour ago, Pears said:

Offensive abilities of Markov and the physicality of Emelin? Habs fans should be drooling over this kid if that’s the case. 

There’s a lot of hype around him.  He looks like a a legit prospect.  Hopefully he pans out 

• Cheers 1

25 minutes ago, ruilin96 said:

Worthy of note, he was picked right after Jett Woo. Would be interesting to see where Woo would be at in his development next season in comparison to Romanov as well.

Craig Button did a top 50 NHL affiliated prospects ranking in January.  Romanov came in at #5. Woo didn’t make the list.  

He also ranked each Canadian teams top 5 prospects.  He had Podkolzin, Hoglander, Madden, Rafferty, Lind as Vancouvers top 5. Woo didn’t make that list either. 

. It’s too early to definitively say Romanov will be the better player, but that’s how things are trending. 

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

25 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Craig Button did a top 50 NHL affiliated prospects ranking in January.  Romanov came in at #5. Woo didn’t make the list.  

He also ranked each Canadian teams top 5 prospects.  He had Podkolzin, Hoglander, Madden, Rafferty, Lind as Vancouvers top 5. Woo didn’t make that list either. 

. It’s too early to definitively say Romanov will be the better player, but that’s how things are trending. 

Romanov has a very intriguing resume. 2 seasons of KHL experiences and 2 tremendous WJC. Seems to have a very good attitude as well as he won't bolt for the KHL if he is assigned to the AHL. I am just glad he is not a Leafs or Flames prospect.

25 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Woo seemed to regress last season after his junior team he was drafted from traded him to another junior team for a better chance at a memorial cup. Hopefully, Woo shows good in the AHL. If he makes the Canucks someday, I want Woo to be my first jersey with a name on it

1 hour ago, Where's Wellwood said:

Woo seemed to regress last season after his junior team he was drafted from traded him to another junior team for a better chance at a memorial cup. Hopefully, Woo shows good in the AHL. If he makes the Canucks someday, I want Woo to be my first jersey with a name on it

I know the perception of Woo is that he regressed because most people expected big escalation in his numbers going to a better team, but he was voted Calgary's best Dman this year. https://www.thechronicleherald.ca/sports/hockey/hitmen-captain-kastelic-leaves-mark-as-one-of-franchise-all-timers-438614/

He may have not matched his totals the season previous in Moose Jaw, but he didn't see prime time minutes in an offensive role.  That spot was occupied by Flyers prospect Yegor Zamula, but Woo easily was a stable force for Calgary.  I don't agree with the assessment that he regressed at all, rather he learned to play a far more balanced game while playing as the top pairing shut down Dman.

If anything, his game matured and he started paying more attention to the details of playing defense.  Doesn't have nearly the same upside as Romanov offensively though.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

6 hours ago, NHL'er said:

Seems like a great player. Also fits Montreal's criteria of being under 6 feet tall so win win. 

I know you’re joking. But 

Weber 6’4”

Chariot 6’3”

Danault 6’1”

Petry 6’3”

Armia 6’4”

Kulak 6’2”

Kotkaniemi 6’2

Weise 6’2”

Evans 6’1”

Folin 6’3”

Poehling 6’2”

Fleury 6’1”

Olafsson 6’2”

They have some small skilled forwards, but with the exception of Mete their D ranges from big to man mountain 

• Cheers 1