The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Virtual Crowds

Rate this topic

Just a thought.  With the talk of the NHL getting restarted and using hub cities and empty arenas, Wouldn’t it be possible to dub in crowd noises and cheers for your favourite team?  I am no tech guy but surely it is possible to have fans call in or login to a site record yourself cheering and maybe singing some of the celebration songs and merge them together with thousands of other fans to form a virtual home team crowd.  It could work as a fundraiser for those arena employees displaced because of COVID-19 or go towards the teams charity. Fans could submit their cheer or their noise for a fee. The crowd noise could be piped into the arenas through the sound systems and be in sync with who the home team is designated for that game. It would be a win win the players and the fans, giving them a virtual crowd to listen to instead of a lack lustre silence of an empty rink, akin to a rec hockey game.

Pipe dream or possible?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Very intriguing idea. 

There’s certainly a way to make this work. As long as it’s not during play id say it’d be fine. 

The roar of the crowd when you’re in person is going to be very hard to imitate and trying to calibrate the speaker sounds to be  as natural as possible  is gonna be tricky 

I think it’s doable but there are certain challenges that need to be overcome. 

Lastly, it’d be sick to be able to cheer for the home team live as the game is being played rather than having it prerecorded. 

Edited by Setyoureyesontheprize

On 5/8/2020 at 12:24 PM, Rickabee said:

Just a thought.  With the talk of the NHL getting restarted and using hub cities and empty arenas, Wouldn’t it be possible to dub in crowd noises and cheers for your favourite team?  I am no tech guy but surely it is possible to have fans call in or login to a site record yourself cheering and maybe singing some of the celebration songs and merge them together with thousands of other fans to form a virtual home team crowd.  It could work as a fundraiser for those arena employees displaced because of COVID-19 or go towards the teams charity. Fans could submit their cheer or their noise for a fee. The crowd noise could be piped into the arenas through the sound systems and be in sync with who the home team is designated for that game. It would be a win win the players and the fans, giving them a virtual crowd to listen to instead of a lack lustre silence of an empty rink, akin to a rec hockey game.

Pipe dream or possible?

The MSM creates their news this way so why not the NHL...<_<

I thought the exact same thing....it would offer TV viewers a very similar experience as long as it wasn't the same clip over and over.  Like "the roar of the crowd" in a monotone deal.  It would have to have some different chants/levels incorporated in...the "oooooh" when a shot is saved, etc.

It's got to be a fairly simple thing....a carryover, because they already do dub in some of that.  Maybe the DJ would keep her job and just incorporate the fan sounds in?  Would probably offer a better game setting for players if it was actually in the rink.

I like the idea of a fundraiser to submit cheers too.

I thought they’d just put faces on the seats like aprons or something.  Much better idea.  Greenscrean  the entire thing and it might look like NHL30 or something like that.  Towel power and all.  Ha ha.  Really I hope that the players families are at least invited to watch.  Can’t think that with smart head that some fans can’t be invited and comply with social distancing. 

edit:  if we can stand in line to get groceries and if we can stand in line to buy them then surely they could modify arenas so every third row and fifth seat could have a fan.   Would look just like a regular season Flordia, ARI or CAR game right?

Edited by IBatch