The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Top 50 Canucks of All-Time - #48

Rate this topic

-AJ-

Top 50 Canucks of All-Time - #48  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the #48 Canuck of All-Time?

This poll is closed to new votes

6 hours ago, Coconuts said:

There are certainly other things to look at, and we all weigh thing differently. 

Sandlak on the other hand scored fifteen goals or more five times and had a season of ten, he even hit twenty in 88-89. Sandlak may not have had the giant season Fraser did, topping out at 40 points, or the 25 and 28 goal seasons; but his productivity and longevity as Canuck combined with his 32 fights (according to hockeyfights) should have him at least on the voting list by now imo. Fraser did have 46 fights, but Sandlak was no shrinking violet either. 

Yes I’d agree - definitely would have Sandlak ahead of Cooke.   Ha ha.   It’s ok Cocunuts - in trying not to start anything (again I think ha ha) but I can’t help defend the other players on this list - and some yet to get in (Sandlak is a perfect example) when it’s suggested Cooke should make it in before the rest and really it’s not even close simply on a games played note...Aucoin is another guy I had as 50 in my original list who slipped to 51 when I added Tanev - not everyone can make it in. 

These things are subjective - and I’d expect that a lot of people can’t help but weight those they’ve watched higher then things like games played, how good they actually were/are - impact to the fan base etc.   Butcher had to wait a very long time to get in too...Murzyn is still outside looking in.  Both held important positions for us and were part of the leadership group while here.  Lanz was too.   Fraser was a top scorer on our team and a top fighter in the league at the time.  And part of a run to the final where he scored 10 points and also had 98 PIMS...

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Dana 

Rypien 

Solid pick and nomination.   Murzyn is next up on my to vote list - once Lanz is in really he’s the front runner but would be completely ok with an inverse order (changed my vote to Murzyn last time once it was apparent Lanz wasn’t going to get in).   Those two guys are still top 50 greatest Canucks in my mind and the experts regardless of how things turn out.  Rypien had a heart of a lion -as did Murzyn,  taking on guys much bigger in size and for Murzyn at least fighting ability regardless of personal safety (Berube was a top fighter with titantic battles with Brown, Probert, Twist and Crowder during his time - and rarely lost a fight decisively - not unlike Rypien dropping them with Carkner)   Protected their  teammates - instilled energy - and didn’t scurry away looking for a big brother to pay for their  mis-deeds.  

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

9 minutes ago, kchengc said:

I will continue to nominate huggy bear!

So Brashear?  Ha ha.  A little ironic that one of our teams best fighters and one of our teams smallest and most skilled players look to have the same nickname...Q Hughes will looks to have the chops to be a top 20 all-time Canuck by the time he’s finished his second contract with us - so glad we have him..

Edited by IBatch
  • Vintage 1

10 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

matt-cooke-2014-2331.jpg

Bingo!  His playoff heroics were the best thing or greatest thing he did while on our team for sure.   That said his teammates were tired of his shenanigans before he was done here - as were a lot of fans I knew at least.  After he left was hung out to dry by Mario Lemieux and Guerin on his own team ... and ended careers.  Could be the most hated NHLer in league history.  Oh and for defenders of his shame / yes he did have around one fight per year with us - and later on dropped then a little more - but does it really count when it’s not mutually consented and your just getting beat up for dirty played like headshots or kneeing?  

Edited by IBatch
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

So Brashear?  Ha ha.  A little ironic that one of our teams best fighters and one of our teams smallest and most skilled players look to have the same nickname...Q Hughes will looks to have the chops to be a top 20 all-time Canuck by the time he’s finished his second contract with us - so glad we have him..

If he has a longer career with us (i.e. 8+ years), I believe that he should finish in the top 10 or even top 5 on our list when it is all said and done.

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, kchengc said:

If he has a longer career with us (i.e. 8+ years), I believe that he should finish in the top 10 or even top 5 on our list when it is all said and done.

If he accomplishes nothing else at all, if / when he gets his 500th point for the Canucks, I'll have him in the 10-13th group with Snepsts, Gradin, etc.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kchengc said:

Definitely could do just that - if he stays for three complete contracts and plays a decade or so for us anything’s possible. At this point if I could only keep one of EP or QHs it would be an extremely difficult choice - both could have exceptional careers - so far are surpassing everyone but Bure and maybe Lindens and Tallons  first couple seasons.   Have very high hopes for both of them they already have huge roles in the new core that’s emerging and with BB don’t mind seeing their names getting mentioned one bit.  

Edited by IBatch
  • Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Definitely could do just that - if he stays for three complete contracts and plays a decade or so for us anything’s possible. At this point if I could only keep one of EP or QHs it would be an extremely difficult choice - both could have exceptional careers - so far are surpassing everyone but Bure and maybe Lindens first couple seasons.   Have very high hopes for both of them they already have huge roles in the new core that’s emerging and with BB don’t mind seeing their names getting mentioned one bit.

Linden scored what, 51 points if I remember right in his second year.  It was unanimously considered the "sophomore slump."

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Definitely could do just that - if he stays for three complete contracts and plays a decade or so for us anything’s possible. At this point if I could only keep one of EP or QHs it would be an extremely difficult choice - both could have exceptional careers - so far are surpassing everyone but Bure and maybe Lindens first couple seasons.   Have very high hopes for both of them they already have huge roles in the new core that’s emerging and with BB don’t mind seeing their names getting mentioned one bit.

I still think Dale Tallon's record breaking rookie year in 70-71 is extremely overlooked.  Frankly, what a joke that he ended up 5th in Calder voting after setting the all time record for defensemen.  Talk about eastern bias.  Three of the four ahead of him in voting were forwards, and two of them actually had a worse +/- than Tallon did as a defenseman on the expansion Canucks.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, Kevin Biestra said:

Linden scored what, 51 points if I remember right in his second year.  It was unanimously considered the "sophomore slump."

Linden unlike QHs and EP went straight from the draft to the NHL at 18...did pretty darn good for sure and helped the team face CAL in a top three all-time Canuck series.   Sometimes wonder where his career numbers would have ended up if he wasn’t pigeon-holed into a two-way center role because we didn’t have an answer for Otto (who was also a great player IMO).   He definitely started strong and ended up top 100 in scoring all-time when he retired.  Don’t think 400 goals and 1000 points would be out of the question if he remained a scoring winger his entire career. 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

I still think Dale Tallon's record breaking rookie year in 70-71 is still extremely overlooked.  Frankly, what a joke that he ended up 5th in Calder voting after setting the all time record for defensemen.  Talk about eastern bias.  Three of the four ahead of him in voting were forwards, and two of them actually had a worse +/- than Tallon did as a defenseman on the expansion Canucks.

Yes I was going to add Tallon in that sentence and actually thought I did - will go back and edit it.   Done. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Linden unlike QHs and EP went straight from the draft to the NHL at 18...did pretty darn good for sure and helped the team face CAL in a top three all-time Canuck series.   Sometimes wonder where his career numbers would have ended up if he wasn’t pigeon-holed into a two-way center role because we didn’t have an answer for Otto (who was also a great player IMO).   He definitely started strong and ended up top 100 in scoring all-time when he retired.  Don’t think 400 goals and 1000 points would be out of the question if he remained a scoring winger his entire career. 

Yeah, and he was never the same after the knee injury that ended his ironman streak.  From then on, he was still a very good player, but he had a very Dave Babych-like transition to defensive player with respectable offense.

• Vintage 1