Sign in to follow this  
babych

Sweatpants in Public: Yay or Nay?

Is it okay to wear sweatpants in public?  

62 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Our complex parking lot looks like a campground these days.  People wandering around, coffee in hand, in pj's and masks.  Thinking they're/we're anonymous because...masks.

I might try scuba gear tomorrow to shake things up...

I'm all about "you do you" and if someone's comfortable, who am I to judge?  I don't have sweat pants but I do have an assortment of leggings that are in high circulation right now.  The flying pig ones are a hit around here.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The only time I wear sweatpants is underneath hockey equipment (as a goalie).

There's a time and a place for everything.  For me, grocery shopping doesn't necessitate looking your best.  As long as they're clean, I wouldn't bat an eye if someone wore sweatpants to Walmart.

• Like 1

Just now, debluvscanucks said:

Our complex parking lot looks like a campground these days.  People wandering around, coffee in hand, in pj's and masks.  Thinking they're/we're anonymous because...masks.

I might try scuba gear tomorrow to shake things up...

I'll get a fish costume and you can chase me around the parking lot taking pictures...wouldn't be weird at all!

• Haha 1

Isn't there some kind of mathematical law that governs this... something about the appropriateness level being the inverse square to one's distance from Edmonton?  (I seem to recall a lot of sweatpants jokes in Calgary Puck)

For my own sake, I'll wear them outside in cooler months, when I first take the dog outside.  That's about it.  For what others do, it's up to them.  Doesn't bother me all that much.

• Hydration 1

Posted (edited)

Buck the trend, flatten the sweatpants curve!!

For real though, here's a good video on a similar topic (TL;DW: fitted sweatpants/ athleisure joggers, with over-sized sweater/ bomber/ hoodie) => in regular life, I wore fitting sweats and a hoodie to the gym and I guess no one's really looking but at the same time it means, if everyone's sloppy, it's not hard to be just a cut above 

Edited by Phil_314
  • Like 1

I want to vote nay - no pants at all,

true freedom ...expose yourself to the public. 

People want to dress down these days.  I see sweat pants, pajama bottoms sometimes slippers.  You can't tell people how to dress but people here are very casual (if that's what you want to call it).  Myself, I don't even own jeans.  I will wear a t-shirt at home around the house.  In recent years, I've even worn a T in public.  :shock:

I used to own a pair of sweat pants.  I wore them to work out when it was very cold (ie below zero)

Go ahead. But you won't catch me wearing them. But I'll wear dress pants sometimes.. with skate shoes. Everyone has their thing. 

• Huggy Bear 1

it isn't the sweat pants its the crocs with the sweat pants  , if you wore some running shoes  with sweat pants  , them you look like you worked out , unless you have cheezzie stains on your sweat pants 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, the grinder said:

it isn't the sweat pants its the crocs with the sweat pants  , if you wore some running shoes  with sweat pants  , them you look like you worked out , unless you have cheezzie stains on your sweat pants 

Yeah man, I agree. Mistakes were made..

None of my business what people wear.  I feel slovenly some days lately because I don't get out of my pjs until noon.  But so long as we're not talking about this ecuffed balloon pants young men are wearing lately it's all good.

Wear those, and we got a problem.  Have some self respect lads 

image.png.fa2f46bd206b9bb49ea730731f86dc37.png

• Like 1
  • Hydration 1

2 hours ago, babych said:

The other day I realized that I was in Walmart (FYI - I was shopping for groceries and supplies, not browsing) wearing sweatpants and crocs. I thought to myself "Self? you are a highly educated professional with 2 undergrads and a masters.. and you look like a goddamn slob ffs.."

My family moved here from England when I was very young. My mother tells me her first impression of Canada was "Why does everyone here dress like slobs?"

As for me, sweatpants outside (other than to exercise) is a sign you've given up on life.

• Like 1
  • Hydration 2

Sweatpants in Public ???

Only when i visit Alberta.

I have always been the person wanting to fit in....

• Like 1

If you're going to exercise/gym/yoga, maybe a brisk walk in the park etc... Sure.

For almost anything else, have some GD self respect IMO.

• Haha 3

I think sweat pants are fine. IF you can pull them off and look good.

Same goes for some of the body shapes walking around in leggings.......some are very, very, like I mean very, wrong. 

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

None of my business what people wear.  I feel slovenly some days lately because I don't get out of my pjs until noon.  But so long as we're not talking about this ecuffed balloon pants young men are wearing lately it's all good.

Wear those, and we got a problem.  Have some self respect lads 

image.png.fa2f46bd206b9bb49ea730731f86dc37.png

Gotta admit my few of my nephews rock those...

At least I don't have to see many of these anymore.

I remember every second 'tough guy' had to have this look back in the day,,,

187truereligion.jpg.0c5a48ca8a46769fa79b5d7c18fe5cbe.jpg

• Hydration 1
  • Haha 1