The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sweatpants in Public: Yay or Nay?

babych

Is it okay to wear sweatpants in public?  

68 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 hours ago, babych said:

Those of you that have been around here for awhile may remember a topic similar to this. It generated a lot of heat and I believe some posters were actually suspended...

I don't want that to happen, of course. I'm just curious to see if anyone's opinions have changed. I know mine have. I typically wouldn't wear sweatpants to go outside unless I was doing something that required them - like going to the gym or for a run.

The other day I realized that I was in Walmart (FYI - I was shopping for groceries and supplies, not browsing) wearing sweatpants and crocs. I thought to myself "Self? you are a highly educated professional with 2 undergrads and a masters.. and you look like a goddamn slob ffs.."

How far have the rest of you fallen?

Honestly, I don't see where the correlation between dress and degrees come into play. Yes, you have to be dressed appropriately for your job and certain events. Outside of your job you are a human being. If you are worried about what you are wearing I would argue that you are focused too much on what other people think rather than being yourself.

Also, random though but, in my opinion degrees are about getting the education to assist you in your professional career and nothing to do with how you present yourself afterwards. They don't mean you are good at your job. They just mean you have a better chance at being good at your job.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

None of my business what people wear.  I feel slovenly some days lately because I don't get out of my pjs until noon.  But so long as we're not talking about this ecuffed balloon pants young men are wearing lately it's all good.

Wear those, and we got a problem.  Have some self respect lads 

Admit it Warhippy....you danced to MC Hammer's "you can't touch this" as a wee lad wearing those 'parachute type pants'!

as for me, I ain't admitting to anything.:ph34r:

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Warhippy said:

None of my business what people wear.  I feel slovenly some days lately because I don't get out of my pjs until noon.  But so long as we're not talking about this ecuffed balloon pants young men are wearing lately it's all good.

Wear those, and we got a problem.  Have some self respect lads

Those are usually called joggers and they need to go out of style ASAP

1 hour ago, The Lock said:

Honestly, I don't see where the correlation between dress and degrees come into play. Yes, you have to be dressed appropriately for your job and certain events. Outside of your job you are a human being. If you are worried about what you are wearing I would argue that you are focused too much on what other people think rather than being yourself.

Also, random though but, in my opinion degrees are about getting the education to assist you in your professional career and nothing to do with how you present yourself afterwards. They don't mean you are good at your job. They just mean you have a better chance at being good at your job.

I'm just having a little fun here mate ;)

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, KristoffWixenschon said:

It is your duty as a human being... living in society.... to put on real pants when you leave the house.

This.. 

Please wear proper attrie when in formal settings like: Airports, Malls, Doctors offices, Stores, etc..

If you're indoors or around the house sweatpants are fine hell even at the gym is fine. 

Only exceptions to sweatpants imo is when you're going out for an emergency or need to grab/do something in a hurry. 

5 hours ago, King Heffy said:

As long as you're not wearing them to a wedding, work, wake, or something else where they're clearly inappropriate, what's the problem?  Everything that needs to be covered is covered.

I wear them to work everyday now.  Found jeans just too constricitng especially after I got fat.  Also I don't think a log mill is going to shame me too much for wear sweat pants, not like I am a lawyer lol.

I like my adidas track pants that have zippers on the pockets, don't have to worry about dropping my keys or phone or wallet in my car ever.  Wear those pants to hardware stores, work, soccer field, etc.

Edited by Russ

Yeah, definitely.  It's nice to pair them with a jean jacket and slip on shoes.  At the moment, I have been wearing sweatpants, leggings, and right now I am wearing a dress.  I have various pairs of leggings, and it's easy to switch them out. Same with pajama bottoms and sweatpants.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

Gotta admit my few of my nephews rock those...

At least I don't have to see many of these anymore.

I remember every second 'tough guy' had to have this look back in the day,,,

187truereligion.jpg.0c5a48ca8a46769fa79b5d7c18fe5cbe.jpg

Missing some bedazzling though to really make it pop

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lancaster said:

There's a reason that Vancouverites and Canadians aren't known to be very fashionable.  

Sez who?

I believe it is the height of fashion to not give AF. 

Though I do remember an article ripping lulu lemon and stating Vancouver has terrible fashion. Meanwhile the entire world followed that fashion trend. 

See, Vancouver doesn't need fashion. It's filled with handsome healthy people, they make everything look good.

6 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Admit it Warhippy....you danced to MC Hammer's "you can't touch this" as a wee lad wearing those 'parachute type pants'!

as for me, I ain't admitting to anything.:ph34r:

I wanted too.  Too poor.  I had grey sweatpants with neon electric guitar decals on them instead

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

9 hours ago, babych said:

Those of you that have been around here for awhile may remember a topic similar to this. It generated a lot of heat and I believe some posters were actually suspended...

I don't want that to happen, of course. I'm just curious to see if anyone's opinions have changed. I know mine have. I typically wouldn't wear sweatpants to go outside unless I was doing something that required them - like going to the gym or for a run.

The other day I realized that I was in Walmart (FYI - I was shopping for groceries and supplies, not browsing) wearing sweatpants and crocs. I thought to myself "Self? you are a highly educated professional with 2 undergrads and a masters.. and you look like a goddamn slob ffs.."

How far have the rest of you fallen?

I honestly feel that the earlier in life you quit worrying about what people think of you... the better off you are. Work is different, you dress accordingly to what a boss wants.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Sez who?

I believe it is the height of fashion to not give AF. 

Though I do remember an article ripping lulu lemon and stating Vancouver has terrible fashion. Meanwhile the entire world followed that fashion trend. 

See, Vancouver doesn't need fashion. It's filled with handsome healthy people, they make everything look good.

Not really, overwhelming majority of yoga pants and similar articles of clothing is sold in America and Canada.

You won’t see lot of yoga pants in Rome, Milan, Paris, Barcelona or any other fashionable European city.

• Upvote 1