The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

MP Chandra Arya wants to tax Canadians abroad!

canuckster19

http://isaacbrocksociety.ca/2020/04/20/nepean-mp-chandranepean-makes-the-case-for-citizenshiptax-for-canadians-living-abroad/?fbclid=IwAR0EeI3FD2KnQbZTf25vQHNNec42KF-6YwST6gcnzPj7IloEuQ7VBMI4HVs

I think this facist POS thinks I'm just going to willingly pay taxes and think he can take my citizenship away, of course though it's by a man from a country that thinks muslims aren't even people so wtf do I know right? Maybe he's just f-ed in the head and hopefully blackface won't listen to him.

“Everyone has the right to a nationality. No one shall be arbitrarily deprived of his nationality nor denied the right to change his nationality.” With those succinct statements, Article 15 of the 1948 Universal Declaration of Human Rights confers upon every individual, everywhere in the world, the right to have a legal connection with a State. Citizenship or nationality (the two terms are used interchangeably in this hanbook, just as they usually are in international law) not only provides people with a sense of identity, it entitles individuals to the protection of a State and to many civil and political rights. Indeed, citizenship has been described as “the right to have rights.”

Edited by canuckster19

1 hour ago, Duodenum said:

Would be too difficult to enforce anyways. 

Pretty much this. We're talking about people living in other countries out of Canada's jurisdiction. How exactly do they enforce that?

Not only that, but having to deal with every case in different countries would probably be more costly than it would be worth to "take that person's lunch money" so to speak.

Edited by The Lock

2 hours ago, Quantum said:

For starters, I don't believe you understand what Fascism is? What this concept is isn't fascist.

Also, you're being racist canuckster19, not cool. Chandra Arya is Canadian and a working politician in Canada. End of story. What have you done for this country?

This concept isn't that original. America does this with Americans living abroad, as do other countries. Usually the taxes come from if you make a certain amount of money, so you have to hit a threshold to be taxed. Personally, I think it's too murky and too hard to manage. It'll be especially hard to tax "Canadians" who have no intention of returning to Canada, for instance. And I'm not sure the cost of getting those 300,000 Canadians to pay some sort of tax will be worth the tax money they raise. It's an interesting idea but super flawed in its concept. I feel like he's just saying it to stir some talking points, it's not like Chandra Arya is an MP of importance within the Liberal Party.

yeah its not an unusual concept. If you retain Canadian residency you have to pay it. 

Its an interesting question, if you're an ex-pat should you have to pay something to maintain your citizenship? 

I am not familiar with any of this

But if this to do with maybe someone being borne here and never living here and supporting the system, but only returning for health care, while never contributing to Canadian economy and health system?

If that is the case, I can't see how returning to only take, while never providing is a 'Right' to be abused, just because you were borne here

• Cheers 1

If you want a less emotionally-laden read than the OP or their link, you can read from the source:

https://policyoptions.irpp.org/magazines/april-2020/canada-needs-to-start-taxing-canadians-who-live-abroad/

However, expatriate Canadians enjoy the same rights as Canadians who are resident here. They should face the same obligations as resident Canadians, including paying taxes, so that they share the responsibility of contributing, at least financially, to our country.

Here's the thing about rights... you don't have to pay for them. The minute you do and they cease to be rights. I don't really agree with his premise. 

What I begin to agree with is the taxation of people that are rich enough to be able to create a fake residence abroad so that they can hide their money while still benefiting from living in Canada and reaping the benefits of being Canadian. 

Kirsch also discusses the need to maintain the cohesion of a society. In the absence of citizenship-based taxation, there is a strong tax-driven incentive for a not insignificant number of high-income and high-net-worth individuals to establish tax residence abroad in order to avoid income taxes. The creation of a separate class of citizens could have corrosive effects on broader society, just as it has done in other countries that rely only on residence-based taxation.

Edited by Down by the River
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, ba;;isticsports said:

I am not familiar with any of this

But if this to do with maybe someone being borne here and never living here and supporting the system, but only returning for health care, while never contributing to Canadian economy and health system?

If that is the case, I can't see how returning to only take, while never providing is a 'Right' to be abused, just because you were borne here

Many Canadians who work/live elsewhere will come back to Canada to retire with free medical care.  You know medical insurance is hundreds of dollars per month in some countries. 

2 hours ago, Lancaster said:

I think there are only 2 countries in the world that have taxes based on nationality....

The USA and Somalia.

But apparently we should do it because the Americans do.

Liberals sure make my head spin.

9 hours ago, Quantum said:

For starters, I don't believe you understand what Fascism is? What this concept is isn't fascist.

Also, you're being racist canuckster19, not cool. Chandra Arya is Canadian and a working politician in Canada. End of story. What have you done for this country?

This concept isn't that original. America does this with Americans living abroad, as do other countries. Usually the taxes come from if you make a certain amount of money, so you have to hit a threshold to be taxed. Personally, I think it's too murky and too hard to manage. It'll be especially hard to tax "Canadians" who have no intention of returning to Canada, for instance. And I'm not sure the cost of getting those 300,000 Canadians to pay some sort of tax will be worth the tax money they raise. It's an interesting idea but super flawed in its concept. I feel like he's just saying it to stir some talking points, it's not like Chandra Arya is an MP of importance within the Liberal Party.

What we need to do is get serious about catching tax evaders. 

9 hours ago, Quantum said:

Lol what? 

3 hours ago, stanleysteamersmyl said:

Many Canadians who work/live elsewhere will come back to Canada to retire with free medical care.  You know medical insurance is hundreds of dollars per month in some countries. 

Yep.

I know a few people working in Hong Kong and the USA.  They do the minimum to remain a Canadian citizen.  Plan to retire in Canada cuz better health care in their old age.

10 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

But apparently we should do it because the Americans do.

Liberals sure make my head spin.

What we need to do is get serious about catching tax evaders. 

I don't think its so much that, as people not paying into the system and then using it once its convenient for them. You'd think conservatives would want to take a look at that.

Lets de-poltiicize it for a second. Should someone be allowed to never pay taxes, and then at some point come back and be a drain on our system? 

If you're a non-resident you do have to re-establish your residency before getting 'free' healthcare, so there's that at least. In the meantime you pay out of pocket or need insurance coverage unless I'm missing something there. 

I see this as more of a social contract problem, than some sort of lefty-righty thing. 

9 hours ago, BPA said:

Yep.

I know a few people working in Hong Kong and the USA.  They do the minimum to remain a Canadian citizen.  Plan to retire in Canada cuz better health care in their old age.

isn't that abusing the social contract with the rest of us living here and paying taxes?