The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Top 50 Canucks of All-Time - #49

Rate this topic

-AJ-

Top 50 Canucks of All-Time - #49  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the #49 Canuck of All-Time?

• B. Boeser
    • I. Larionov
    • M. Cooke
    • C. Fraser
    • J. Markstrom
    • B. Schmautz
    • D. Cloutier
    • M. Gelinas
    • D. Murzyn
    • R. Rypien

This poll is closed to new votes

Way to go Fraser!  In case anyone’s wondering how LE did in Dallas - THN ranked him 29th best all-time...ha ha .... his PGP is higher then Cookes...just imagine if he finishes off his contract - has some playoff heroics and ten years from now with his 500 ish games played indeers him enough to get nominations then in a re-do ha ha ha.

• Vintage 1

34 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Way to go Fraser!  In case anyone’s wondering how LE did in Dallas - THN ranked him 29th best all-time...ha ha .... his PGP is higher then Cookes...just imagine if he finishes off his contract - has some playoff heroics and ten years from now with his 500 ish games played indeers him enough to get nominations then in a re-do ha ha ha.

Funny because it’s true. 

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Eriksson's P/GP should be the Canucks version of the Mendoza Line.  Anything below it just doesn't exist.

I could see some bum reporters at TSN some years from now just adding up games and points and thinking derpaderp, Messier contriberted and Erkserson too...

Loui as the 29th best Minnesota / Dallas Star.  Hmmm, you know offhand I'm not sure I could name 28 that should be ahead of him, did he get shafted?

What the heck, I'll give it a try.  Here's who I'd have ahead of Loui in Minnie / Dallas...

Modano, Morrow, Ciccarelli, Bellows (the t**f***er), Beaupre, Curt Giles, Turco, Belfour, Neal Broten, Derian Hatcher, Bobby Smith, Lehtinen, Zubov, Benn, ugh Seguin I guess, Nieuwendyk, Hull, Sydor maybe, Goldsworthy, Gagner, Lou Nanne, Al MacAdam, Jon Casey, Gilles Meloche...

Maybe Brian Propp, Gordie Roberts, Steve Payne, Craig Hartsburg, Dennis Maruk, our boy Cesare Maniago?

Were Gartner and Larry Murphy and Dennis Maruk there long enough?

Meh, that's it I'm outta names.  Looks like more than 28 though.

• Vintage 1

23 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Eriksson's P/GP should be the Canucks version of the Mendoza Line.  Anything below it just doesn't exist.

I could see some bum reporters at TSN some years from now just adding up games and points and thinking derpaderp, Messier contriberted and Erkserson too...

Loui as the 29th best Minnesota / Dallas Star.  Hmmm, you know offhand I'm not sure I could name 28 that should be ahead of him, did he get shafted?

What the heck, I'll give it a try.  Here's who I'd have ahead of Loui in Minnie / Dallas...

Modano, Morrow, Ciccarelli, Bellows (the t**f***er), Beaupre, Curt Giles, Turco, Belfour, Neal Broten, Derian Hatcher, Bobby Smith, Lehtinen, Zubov, Benn, ugh Seguin I guess, Nieuwendyk, Hull, Sydor maybe, Goldsworthy, Gagner, Lou Nanne, Al MacAdam, Jon Casey, Gilles Meloche...

Maybe Brian Propp, Gordie Roberts, Steve Payne, Craig Hartsburg, Dennis Maruk, our boy Cesare Maniago?

Were Gartner and Larry Murphy and Dennis Maruk there long enough?

Meh, that's it I'm outta names.  Looks like more than 28 though.

Parise’s Dad and Dave Gagner are the biggest names missed but I’m very impressed...they had Mike Ribeiro just ahead of him given he played his best hockey their scoring 407 points in 461 games (LE has 357 in 501)...it’s sad but I’d have to say that LE is the most disappointing player after Mark Messier (who had two very good seasons just before we signed both full seasons well over a PGP and one with 48 goals).  Seems six million dollar men come with baggage or something ha ha...so please don’t sign Markstrom to 6 x 6 or TT to 6 x 4 or something like that ha ha.

edit:  And yes absolutely if your a forward and you’ve played 20 years for us and your PGP is below LEs then you better come with one heck of amount of intangibles to be considered in the top fifty given the competition.  Brashear isn’t really that far off and he did a lot of other things for the team for many years.  And I wouldn’t think to nominate him despite that.   And as an aside - it makes me warm and fuzzy inside to think that LEs 28th given who we have around there that deserves the honour.  

TO’s list is surprisingly empty of top tier all-time talent .. although their top 50 is extremely impressive given who’s in between 40-50...Ian Turnbull at 47 wow.   We stack up decently - but also are shamed by  some expansion teams from around when we joined (PHI) and two of the WHA teams. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Parise’s Dad and Dave Gagner are the biggest names missed but I’m very impressed...they had Mike Ribeiro just ahead of him given he played his best hockey their scoring 407 points in 461 games (LE has 357 in 501)...it’s sad but I’d have to say that LE is the most disappointing player after Mark Messier (who had two very good seasons just before we signed both full seasons well over a PGP and one with 48 goals).  Seems six million dollar men come with baggage or something ha ha...so please don’t sign Markstrom to 6 x 6 or TT to 6 x 4 or something like that ha ha...

That was kind of fun.  I ought to think about the other teams.  I included Gagner though but I did forget Parise.  So dumb how Zach un-Frenchified the name.

Yeah Messier is a 12/10 for disappointment and Loui is a solid 8 or so.  Pretty hard to think of other competitors for the title.  Marco Sturm maybe, so bad that we got him the hell out of there after 6 games if I remember right.  Our new power play quarterback Mathieu Schneider.  Prust.  Krutov I suppose, given what we had seen from him before.

I guess expectations were a little higher for Ballard and Booth than what they delivered as well.  And I guess Sean Burke's stint with the Canucks was pretty rough after giving McLean up for him.  Might never have been a goalie graveyard if they had stuck with him though.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Vintage 1

10 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

That was kind of fun.  I ought to think about the other teams.  I included Gagner though but I did forget Parise.  So dumb how Zach un-Frenchified the name.

Yeah Messier is a 12/10 for disappointment and Loui is a solid 8 or so.  Pretty hard to think of other competitors for the title.  Marco Sturm maybe, so bad that we got him the hell out of there after 6 games if I remember right.  Our new power play quarterback Mathieu Schneider.  Prust.  Krutov I suppose, given what we had seen from him before.

I guess expectations were a little higher for Ballard and Booth than what they delivered as well.  And I guess Sean Burke's stint with the Canucks was pretty rough after giving McLean up for him.  Might never have been a goalie graveyard if they had stuck with him though.

Good points ... PHI obviously would make our team look sad - that said I wonder how ST. Louis and Buffalo would stack up against us?  I’m thinking maybe pretty even with St. Louis and we might spank Buffalo depsite Hasek and the French connection line.  

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Good points ... PHI obviously would make our team look sad - that said I wonder how ST. Louis and Buffalo would stack up against us?  I’m thinking maybe pretty even with St. Louis and we might spank Buffalo depsite Hasek and the French connection line.  

Man Philly would take us to the cleaners.  Cechmanek would be a hero of sorts around here with his Vezina nomination - look at the love for Cloutier in this poll - and out there Cechmanek was a bum and they couldn't tar and feather him fast enough.  Look at their goalie lineup...  Parent, Hextall, Lindbergh, Peeters, Froese, and that's just up to 1990 and I'm sure I'm forgetting some names.

Buffalo...

Perreault, Robert, Martin, Lafontaine, Hawerchuk, Mogilny, Housley, Pierre Turgeon, Foligno, Andreychuk, Danny Gare, Peca.  Again, I'm just going up to about 1995 or 2000 and that's a pretty solid 12 players, mostly forwards, off the top of my head.  Ramsay & Ramsey, Ruff...

I think we've got them beat with D-men, but then again I don't know if I would really appreciate whoever their Lanz and Halward were.  Van Boxmeer maybe?

Hasek, Sauve, Edwards, Fuhr (don't remember for how long), Miller...  Barrasso.  Man, that's a pretty awesome big 3 with Miller, Barrasso and Hasek.  When Edwards, Sauve and Puppa are afterthoughts...  I guess they had Crozier but I think his best years were in Detroit.

St. Louis...

F: Federko, Brian Sutter, Wayne Babych, Hull, Oates, Janney, Gretzky for a week or two (didn't put him in the rafters).  Unger?  Tkachuk?  Hmmm, they're top heavy with Hull but I'm kind of running out of top level guys.  Red Berenson?  I guess they had Gilmour and Mullen before the Calgary trade.

D: MacInnis, ummm.... MacInnis?  Ramage?  I'm feeling like we have more in the B-tier than they do, but again, same as Buffalo, I might be underselling someone like Paul Cavallini compared to a Blues aficionado.  Pronger?  I guess Jeff Brown was with them longer than he was with us.  Butcher...

G: Liut, Cujo, Glenn Hall...  I've said before that I wouldn't really object to Liut in the Hall of Fame.  I must be forgetting people.

Yeah, I dunno.  I feel like we can ice teams with more heart and passion but we've generally not been blessed with the greatest talent over the years.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Man Philly would take us to the cleaners.  Cechmanek would be a hero of sorts around here with his Vezina nomination - look at the love for Cloutier in this poll - and out there Cechmanek was a bum and they couldn't tar and feather him fast enough.  Look at their goalie lineup...  Parent, Hextall, Lindbergh, Peeters, Froese, and that's just up to 1990 and I'm sure I'm forgetting some names.

Buffalo...

Perreault, Robert, Martin, Lafontaine, Hawerchuk, Mogilny, Housley, Pierre Turgeon, Foligno, Andreychuk, Danny Gare, Peca.  Again, I'm just going up to about 1995 or 2000 and that's a pretty solid 12 players, mostly forwards, off the top of my head.  Ramsay & Ramsey, Ruff...

I think we've got them beat with D-men, but then again I don't know if I would really appreciate whoever their Lanz and Halward were.  Van Boxmeer maybe?

Hasek, Sauve, Edwards, Fuhr (don't remember for how long), Miller...  Barrasso.  Man, that's a pretty awesome big 3 with Miller, Barrasso and Hasek.  When Edwards, Sauve and Puppa are afterthoughts...  I guess they had Crozier but I think his best years were in Detroit.

St. Louis...

F: Federko, Brian Sutter, Wayne Babych, Hull, Oates, Janney, Gretzky for a week or two (didn't put him in the rafters).  Unger?  Tkachuk?  Hmmm, they're top heavy with Hull but I'm kind of running out of top level guys.  Red Berenson?  I guess they had Gilmour and Mullen before the Calgary trade.

D: MacInnis, ummm.... MacInnis?  Ramage?  I'm feeling like we have more in the B-tier than they do, but again, same as Buffalo, I might be underselling someone like Paul Cavallini compared to a Blues aficionado.  Pronger?  I guess Jeff Brown was with them longer than he was with us.  Butcher...

G: Liut, Cujo, Glenn Hall...  I've said before that I wouldn't really object to Liut in the Hall of Fame.  I must be forgetting people.

Yeah, I dunno.  I feel like we can ice teams with more heart and passion but we've generally not been blessed with the greatest talent over the years.

Buffalo lineup looks better then their overall record ha ha...St. Louis current team or the one from the last decade or so will definitely be looked back with rosy thoughts...Perron, Tarasenko, Peitrangelo, Parayoko etc...probably O’Reilly and definitely their version of Dryden/Roy.    They’ve been a top team on and off for quite awhile in the East, paid their dues and had one heck of a second half/run last year.  

Yeah hate to say it but we are a little like TO that way - Clark, Gimour, Teeder, Horton, Conacher, Bower etc.   Sundin was their longest serving Captain and leads them in all-time points etc but was ranked 10 by THN below a murderers row of original legendary original six stars...feel fortunate for the team we have had though lots of heart. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Vintage 1

8 hours ago, CaptKirk888 said:

Voted Fraser. No nomination as my pick for #50 is already on the list.

All players left as voting options will still be listed as honourable mentions at the end, so there's still a reason to nominate.

• Cheers 1

• -AJ- locked this topic