The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mike Tyson set to make comeback against Roy Jones Jr.

cuporbust

10 hours ago, Nucksfollower1983 said:

Well I heard Floyd Mayweather is broke. Tyson v Mayweather?

Is Mayweather really broke? If so, I cannot wrap my head around how that would even be possible.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, cuporbust said:

Ya , well nobody though he still had speed either. He probably doent have the stamina as he would have had in his 20's, but he also didn't need much more then 2 rounds with those skills in his 20's. Even a 75% Tyson has a good chance of knocking these young kids out inside 3.

and you'd put money on that?

i know i wouldn't

he'll end up fighting other aging fighters only

who are also grasping to stay relevant

this whole thing is not serious boxing

but primarily entertainment

so if that is where your sports interest lie.. then i guess you are happy

54 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

His speed for 53 is incredible. The big question would be, can he keep that up going 7 or 8 rounds, or all the way to 12.

Need to see if he has the endurance if he can't end fights in the first 3 minutes like he used to.

thats the big question. Normally I'd say no but there's nothing normal about Tyson. Who knows, maybe? 

With sports being shut down, it’s given me time to look back on others I used to watch (especially throughout the 90s). Gotta say, when everything comes back, I’ll be watching a lot more basketball and would love to see a resurgence of boxing. 

Favourite boxer in the 90s was Prince Naseem Hamed.

1 hour ago, coastal.view said:

and you'd put money on that?

i know i wouldn't

he'll end up fighting other aging fighters only

who are also grasping to stay relevant

this whole thing is not serious boxing

but primarily entertainment

so if that is where your sports interest lie.. then i guess you are happy

Meh, u are right about that, so if that's all it ends up being , i would be happy with that.  I am just saying that Tyson is a total physical freak ( much like GSP and Mayweather) so if i was to put money on anyone to make history it would be Tyson. Given his insanely aggressive style , and the fact he has like 40+ knockouts in his 50 somthing fights , he is a good candidate for a comback. He has alwayd been most effective in the first few rounds with his way over average power. If he can keep it to a few rounds, his age won't matter .

Edited by cuporbust

2 minutes ago, Monty said:

With sports being shut down, it’s given me time to look back on others I used to watch (especially throughout the 90s). Gotta say, when everything comes back, I’ll be watching a lot more basketball and would love to see a resurgence of boxing. 

Lol. Ya i watched a bunch of his old fights in the last few months too. I was a fan of his back in the day as well. 

Edited by cuporbust

Just now, cuporbust said:

Meh, u are right about that, so if that's all it ends up being , i would be happy with that.  I am just saying that Tyson is a total physical freak ( much like GSP), so if i was to put money on anyone to make history it would be Tyson. 

i only appreciate that he is a freak

he does not really interest me

i am more traditional in my sporting interests

i wish to see the best in pro sports

not the wannabees masquerading sports as entertainment

5 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

i only appreciate that he is a freak

he does not really interest me

i am more traditional in my sporting interests

i wish to see the best in pro sports

not the wannabees masquerading sports as entertainment

I think you might be surprised. Lots of reports saying Tyson is not a joke right now . Probably one of the most physically gifted boxers of all time. He just might shock everyone . We shal see i guess. 

Edited by cuporbust

4 minutes ago, cuporbust said:

I think you might be surprised. Lots of reports saying Tyson is not a joke right now . Probably one of the most physically gifted boxers of all time. He just might shock everyone . We shal see i guess. 

that is merely hype

and you are buying into it
so it is working

2 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

His speed for 53 is incredible. The big question would be, can he keep that up going 7 or 8 rounds, or all the way to 12.

Need to see if he has the endurance if he can't end fights in the first 3 minutes like he used to.

He never had the endurance when he was in prime shape though.  Hollyfield was a cerebral fighter that saw that.  Problem with have that so much talent (eg., brute strength), you tend not to work on the rest of 'your game' & just rely on your God-given ability.  No different from a uber skilled hockey player like Nail Yakupov.  Doesn't mean it isn't irreversible.  Look at Alexander Daigle.  Though Tyson is on the wrong side of Father Time.

8 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

that is merely hype

so it is working

Maybe. Everyone said the exact same thing about Forman, and Forman looked like sht when he came back.

Edited by cuporbust

2 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

How many times did Tyson go 7, 8 or 12 rounds... That power could still knock out heavyweights. 

In 58 professional fights Tyson went past round 6 11 times if I counted correctly 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

that is merely hype

so it is working

Would u agree Tyson looks better than Forman did ? Michael Moorer was no joke. He had just beaten a younger than him Holyfield before losing to forman. 

41 minutes ago, Monty said:

Hard to go against Roy Jones Jr.  A lot of it was how good he was in all the boxing video games back when they made video games for boxing.

32 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

He never had the endurance when he was in prime shape though.  Hollyfield was a cerebral fighter that saw that.  Problem with have that so much talent (eg., brute strength), you tend not to work on the rest of 'your game' & just rely on your God-given ability.  No different from a uber skilled hockey player like Nail Yakupov.  Doesn't mean it isn't irreversible.  Look at Alexander Daigle.  Though Tyson is on the wrong side of Father Time.

When Tyson fought Holyfield, Tyson was already past his prime. He was still dangerous, but he was listening to the wrong people, his life was overrun with drama and he didn't have the focus he had in his early 20's. He had done his 3 years in prison for rape, and was already dealing with drug and alcohol issues.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

Hard to go against Roy Jones Jr.  A lot of it was how good he was in all the boxing video games back when they made video games for boxing.

Sad that there hasn’t been an official boxing game in something like 7-8 years.

Edited by Monty
  • Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

Many a friendship was nearly destroyed by Fight Night battles on the PS1.

As far as this whole comeback is concerned, I think if Hershel Walker can beat people's asses over 50 in MMA, why can't Tyson do it in boxing? He's looking beastly right now.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1