The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mike Tyson set to make comeback against Roy Jones Jr.

cuporbust

On 5/11/2020 at 8:47 PM, coastal.view said:

man

smacks of a bit of desperation

age is undefeated

his recovery during breaks between rounds

will lag far behind every other younger opponent he may face

he simply is not as strong and nimble as younger fighters

his fights will need to be short or he will not survive them

and everyone will know this

but i guess there is entertainment value in seeing him box again

i mean, the rocky films did pretty well

I remember when Foreman came out of retirement at 50. I used to love watching those fights,  remember him hitting an opponent and watching his mouthpiece go flying about 50 feet through the air. Then after the fight he made a joke about being happy the training camp was over so he could eat hamburgers again. lol. 

Foreman looked like he shouldn't have the cardio but he did,. He won a ton of fights and ended up fighting Hollyfeild for the title. Not many on planet earth could do that at that age, Tyson could be one. Foreman thinks so.

On 5/16/2020 at 9:32 AM, bishopshodan said:

His hands look good for 53....for 53.

His footwork, slips and cardio will likely show his age more.

I'm not holding my breath for anything spectacular. However, good for him. One of the best ever.

His hands look lethal for any age.

1 hour ago, Timbermen said:

His hands look lethal for any age.

It's still Mike Tyson. One of the best ever. 

Of course they're lethal. Just not quite what he used to be but looks good for 53. Like Atlas suggests in the clip above lets see what happens when someone throws back. Wonder who that will be? I hope it's not the MMA dudes that are lining up to offer, Ortiz, Shamrock, Arlovski. I want to see a legit boxer go with him. Would be happy with Holyfield 3.

• Cheers 1

On 5/12/2020 at 1:01 AM, Elias Pettersson said:

I like Mike...  Oh maybe that’s the wrong Mike...

I like both Mike’s.  I will watch him for sure.  Don’t even know who the contenders are in boxing right now.  Would Mike even be a heavyweight?  He looks like he’s probably 180-190 pounds max.  Mayweather is too small or else that could be a fight worth watching. 

Says he’s 230 - he boxed around 220 when he was younger...and beat all the bigger men of his era which was something else.   Seemed invincible - Buster KO was a shock.    Always was the smaller fighter so that likely won’t change.  Foreman was 46 when he regained his belt but he was huge - 250ish lbs.  Nobody expected him to win or go the distance with hollyfield but he almost KOed him a couple times (nobody hit him as hard or so he said about that fight)....then did the same thing to the guy who beat Holyfield that was done to him against Ali ... tricked him into tiring and used half power to get him to come inside and go toe to toe with him and then KOed him.     Tyson looks brilliant in his training video - of course I doubt he will actually do what Foreman did which was have 20 or so real fights to get back to contender status - but it’s Tyson a legend before he was 25.   If he learns the side game and really does get into great shape I wouldn’t put it past him to KO some young up and comers.   

edit:  like a 41 year old Roberts on a 23 year old - wasn’t it Eager?

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1

On 5/23/2020 at 6:14 PM, Timbermen said:

I remember when Foreman came out of retirement at 50. I used to love watching those fights,  remember him hitting an opponent and watching his mouthpiece go flying about 50 feet through the air. Then after the fight he made a joke about being happy the training camp was over so he could eat hamburgers again. lol. 

Foreman looked like he shouldn't have the cardio but he did,. He won a ton of fights and ended up fighting Hollyfeild for the title. Not many on planet earth could do that at that age, Tyson could be one. Foreman thinks so.

He went the distance...then won the title by beating the guy that beat hollyfield but he was 46 I’m pretty sure at the time ... he rocked a Mohawk during his comeback too.   One tough SOB and one of the greatest ever (with Ali and Fraser too).  Just shows how darn good Ali must have been too...Fraser as well. 

• Cheers 1

20 hours ago, IBatch said:

He went the distance...then won the title by beating the guy that beat hollyfield but he was 46 I’m pretty sure at the time ... he rocked a Mohawk during his comeback too.   One tough SOB and one of the greatest ever (with Ali and Fraser too).  Just shows how darn good Ali must have been too...Fraser as well. 

If anyone hasn't watched the Ali/Fraser fights, find them on youtube. Absolute wars. These old guys were so tough. Ali had his jaw broke in the first couple rounds against Ken Norton and still fought till the end, and this was the days of 15 round fights. It's sad how his career ended though. They misdiagnosed him in the Holmes fight and had him on a thyroid medication that was dangerous to fight on. His last fight against Berbick was hard to watch. RIP Muhammed Ali and Joe Fraser.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Timbermen said:

If anyone hasn't watched the Ali/Fraser fights, find them on youtube. Absolute wars. These old guys were so tough. Ali had his jaw broke in the first couple rounds against Ken Norton and still fought till the end, and this was the days of 15 round fights. It's sad how his career ended though. They misdiagnosed him in the Holmes fight and had him on a thyroid medication that was dangerous to fight on. His last fight against Berbick was hard to watch. RIP Muhammed Ali and Joe Fraser.

I’ve watched all three in their entirety several times. Also watched the Fraser - Foreman bout and the Ali - Foreman bout  Those three guys will be forever be considered the cream of the crop as far as I’m concerned - with the exception of Rocky Marciano ... who also should be considered with those guys.   Sonny Liston was actually a great champion in his own right - and Ali dismantled him twice...yeah the Holmes fight was hard to watch - Ali was taking so many pills daily that he didn’t need to be taking...Holmes was also a pretty good champion too...

Edit:  That said Tyson was a student of the sport and studied all those guys ... watch his footwork and his ability to duck under punches and counter ... add that to his speed and power (only Ali punched quicker IMO of those guys) was hard to get past many rounds with him - and he beat some tough SOBs.    Lewis and Holyfield were also good champions..

Edit:  At the time when Tyson was obliterating fighter after fighter - it was all the rage to talk about how he’d match up to Ali in his prime.   Some said Ali would win, some said Tyson.  Before that it was would Ali beat Rocky.  Actually have a video early computer simulation on who would win.   Might surprise a lot of people to know Rocky came out on top.   Punching like he threw the kitchen sink expression originated back then.  Hard to argue against a guy who never lost a fight.  (43 KOs 49 wins)

Edit:  Also have to say Tyson’s propensity for early KO’s is actually overshadowed by Rocky’s.   Of his 43 KO’s most are within the first three rounds - and a lot in the first.  Also KOed contenders in the first and second round ... as well as in the later rounds.   Nobody ever beat the guy which is astounding - 49-0.

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, IBatch said:

I’ve watched all three in their entirety several times. Also watched the Fraser - Foreman bought and the Ali - Foreman bought. Those three guys will be forever be considered the cream of the crop as far as I’m concerned - with the exception of Rocky Marciano ... who also should be considered with those guys.   Sonny Liston was actually a great champion in his own right - and Ali dismantled him twice...yeah the Holmes fight was hard to watch - Ali was taking so many pills daily that he didn’t need to be taking...Holmes was also a pretty good champion too...

For sure, Rocky Marciano retired 49-0. George Chuvalo was a great Canadian boxer. He fought Ali twice i believe. Both times going the distance (of course Chuvalo was never knocked down in his entire career, which is amazing fighting in the HW division against the best.) Remember Gord Racette? Not on their level obviously but a fighter from Vancouver Island that had a good career (Fought Berbick for the Canadian Belt) Big fan of Gord Racette because he's from my neck of the woods and my dad worked with him logging in Port Alberni in the 60's or 70's. He also played for the Lacrosse with the Nanaimo Timbermen,  A team i have family that played with going way back to the 50's. One uncle in the BC sports hall of fame. Here's a blast from the past i found on youtube about Gord Racette.

• Vintage 1

15 minutes ago, Timbermen said:

For sure, Rocky Marciano retired 49-0. George Chuvalo was a great Canadian boxer. He fought Ali twice i believe. Both times going the distance (of course Chuvalo was never knocked down in his entire career, which is amazing fighting in the HW division against the best.) Remember Gord Racette? Not on their level obviously but a fighter from Vancouver Island that had a good career (Fought Berbick for the Canadian Belt) Big fan of Gord Racette because he's from my neck of the woods and my dad worked with him logging in Port Alberni in the 60's or 70's. He also played for the Lacrosse with the Nanaimo Timbermen,  A team i have family that played with going way back to the 50's. One uncle in the BC sports hall of fame. Here's a blast from the past i found on youtube about Gord Racette.

Just watched those videos.  With Pat Brennan (kick-boxer  middleweight champ) just might be some of the best the Island has ever produced...

• Cheers 1

33 minutes ago, IBatch said:

I’ve watched all three in their entirety several times. Also watched the Fraser - Foreman bout and the Ali - Foreman bout  Those three guys will be forever be considered the cream of the crop as far as I’m concerned - with the exception of Rocky Marciano ... who also should be considered with those guys.   Sonny Liston was actually a great champion in his own right - and Ali dismantled him twice...yeah the Holmes fight was hard to watch - Ali was taking so many pills daily that he didn’t need to be taking...Holmes was also a pretty good champion too...

Edit:  That said Tyson was a student of the sport and studied all those guys ... watch his footwork and his ability to duck under punches and counter ... add that to his speed and power (only Ali punched quicker IMO of those guys) was hard to get past many rounds with him - and he beat some tough SOBs.    Lewis and Holyfield were also good champions..

Edit:  At the time when Tyson was obliterating fighter after fighter - it was all the rage to talk about how he’d match up to Ali in his prime.   Some said Ali would win, some said Tyson.  Before that it was would Ali beat Rocky.  Actually have a video early computer simulation on who would win.   Might surprise a lot of people to know Rocky came out on top.   Punching like he threw the kitchen sink expression originated back then.  Hard to argue against a guy who never lost a fight.  (43 KOs 49 wins)

Edit:  Also have to say Tyson’s propensity for early KO’s is actually overshadowed by Rocky’s.   Of his 43 KO’s most are within the first three rounds - and a lot in the first.  Also KOed contenders in the first and second round ... as well as in the later rounds.   Nobody ever beat the guy which is astounding - 49-0.

edit 1; Absoletey, Cus DiMato and Teddy Atlas trained him with a style that fit him perfectly. 

edit 2 ; I remember hearing about that computer simulation, apparently they spared a few rounds around that time to promote that simulation and Marciano knocked down Ali. I don't know if there's any truth to that or not.

edit 3 : Too bad McGregor wasn't around to make it 50-0 LOL

Been a pleasure talking to you, going to dig up some old fights on YouTube.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Timbermen said:

edit 1; Absoletey, Cus DiMato and Teddy Atlas trained him with a style that fit him perfectly. 

edit 2 ; I remember hearing about that computer simulation, apparently they spared a few rounds around that time to promote that simulation and Marciano knocked down Ali. I don't know if there's any truth to that or not.

edit 3 : Too bad McGregor wasn't around to make it 50-0 LOL

Been a pleasure talking to you, going to dig up some old fights on YouTube.

I have the simulation here at home (DVD hi-tech right ha ha) - your correct they did spar a lot - and even though he was close to 50 he was still an animal (Rocky).  Think it was called Super-Fight or something would have to go dig it up.  Was funny as the computers they showed were gigantic and full of tape - and printed out type writer style.  Their conclusion was Rocky would KO Ali in the later rounds... Ali must have been a good sport about it. 

• Upvote 1

The Axe Murderer wants him too.

20mil + offer from BKFC

I don't want him fighting an MMA dude and I don't want it to be bare knuckle ( if that's what they think they can get him to do)

BKFC to up $20 million offer to Mike Tyson, Wanderlei Silva pitched as potential foe

https://www.mmafighting.com/2020/5/24/21269071/bkfc-to-up-20-million-offer-to-mike-tyson-wanderlei-silva-pitched-as-potential-foe

34 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

The Axe Murderer wants him too.

20mil + offer from BKFC

I don't want him fighting an MMA dude and I don't want it to be bare knuckle ( if that's what they think they can get him to do)

BKFC to up $20 million offer to Mike Tyson, Wanderlei Silva pitched as potential foe

https://www.mmafighting.com/2020/5/24/21269071/bkfc-to-up-20-million-offer-to-mike-tyson-wanderlei-silva-pitched-as-potential-foe

Can't see that happening, if it does though, wow, that would be crazy. Couldn't see Tyson doing that Barenuckle. One things for sure though.............. he definitely shouldn't have an axe fight with him.

• Cheers 1

Ali lost some prime years due to his stance on the draft.  He could've easily shown up & been given an 'cushy armed forces assignment' for PR purposes but instead stuck to his principles (right or wrong) about refusing to fight in Vietnam.  

• Vintage 1

• 1 month later...