The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Reg S, PO's, Draft.. Dump It All For 2020

Rate this topic

Prob not a popular opinion, but I'll throw it out there, just the same.

Reg Season & PO's: Think we gotta "Spanish Flu 1917" this baby. Hockey in the summer just ain't right. Whoever wins, it'll prob always be seen as a SC tainted by this incredibly unusual scenario. I'm sure the athletes would try..but empty buildings? C'mon, this wouldn't be right.

2020 Draft: I'd read the opinion some wks ago(forget where..maybe HF?), about shifting the whole concept towards now drafting 19 yo's. This makes a lot of sense.

Next yr, we'd simply have the same class to keep tabs on. From here on, just keep drafting kids from the 19th bday.

Lots of these kids have been rushed/hurt over the yrs. 1 more yr to mentally/physically develop seems mighty sensible & practical. Also, be easier to insert kids straight to farm teams(not back to jr's), a few months after draft. Steamline the process, so it's clear-cut, & fairly straightforward.

Why do we have to rush 18 yr olds to such a degree?

Lame is the argument.."Well, that's the way it's always been!"

There's a unique opportunity now to shift this whole youth-impetus(pressure) 1 yr elder. At the very least, I hope the league will consider & discuss such a bold change.

There are a couple other issues here(TDL deals; teams w/extra picks; bottm-dwellers on draft order; etc.), we'll see if this has any legs...

• Vintage 1

I don't think "this wouldn't be right" is a good enough argument to shut everything down for the year. The cup is awarded every June, what difference does it make it it's awarded in July or August instead?

The 19-year-old draft is a different issue, but then you have a year's worth of picks (included traded picks) that would complicate making a change.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Ottawa, Detroit & others will gnash their teeth. They want the draft order as it's sizing up.

Sorry. I'd say play out next season, then determine order by combining(winning % perhaps?) the two seasons for determined draft rankings. Perhaps only give top-3 chances to the bottom 7 or 8 teams(a type of compromise). Prob the order will wind up similar, at any rate.

Just now, Master Mind said:

I don't think "this wouldn't be right" is a good enough argument to shut everything down for the year. The cup is awarded every June, what difference does it make it it's awarded in July or August instead?

The 19-year-old draft is a different issue, but then you have a year's worth of picks (included traded picks) that would complicate making a change.

Fair enough.

As for traded picks, they all get shifted fwd one yr accordingly. 2021, 2022, 2023 all extra picks kept.

Well most of next season will likely be played without fans too so if that’s the case might as well scrap next season too?

I think at the very least they’re going to try and  finish this season if not just to work through the challenges and prepping for the 20-21 season.

People can claim it’s tainted all they want but I guarantee any team and their fans that win it won’t care.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Well most of next season will likely be played without fans too so if that’s the case might as well scrap next season too?

I think at the very least they’re going to try and  finish this season if not just to work through the challenges and prepping for the 20-21 season.

People can claim it’s tainted all they want but I guarantee any team and their fans that win it won’t care.

I'm claiming that I don't care about this season and won't watch it, until the first Canucks game of course haha 

I really do hope that it just gets cancelled.  Reeks of desperation at this point. 

1 hour ago, goalie13 said:

While I am in favour of moving to a 19 yr old draft, I don't think that can happen without a new CBA.

True the legalities would have to be attended to. If the NHLPA & BOG stood in agreement, I'd imagine the league, st networks & lawyers could draw up some new guidelines.

7 minutes ago, apollo said:

Sorry but you're not gonna get your wish. All major leagues are planning for June resumption 

Considering collective society moral is at an all time low; people need the power of sport more than ever. 

This is the beauty of sport... It brings people together, it brings joy, it brings laughter, it brings happiness and most importantly it gives us an outlet when things just aren't going well. 

All the executives of the league have said the season will resume so I've got 0 doubt that our boys will lace it up and make this the most incredible summer ever. 

This isn't the AHL - there's significant money involved. 

In its 100+ year history, hockey has never been so necessary to bring joy to people's lives as we navigate through hardships... 

Buckle up, make sure you got your sports package. Or better yet don't, just stream the games. Roger's is a garbage company. Don't Wana start a rant but they jacked up my phone plan as soon as the pandemic hit. Gutless company... Wasn't enough they ruined hockey coverage lol 

Ha..leave it to Apollo to twist my rubbery arm. Well Mr Positive..guess I'll believe it when it happens.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

I'm claiming that I don't care about this season and won't watch it, until the first Canucks game of course haha 

I really do hope that it just gets cancelled.  Reeks of desperation at this point. 

Well if desperation is wanting to forgo losing billions of dollars then I guess all leagues are going to be desperate.

If they’re able to isolate themselves from the public and continue their season I don’t see why it’s a big deal. Things are not going to be magically better come October so we better get used to this format.

If they do cancel. That 19 year old draft rule is a good one. Although with an extra year to scout players we will have less late round steals/sleepers and the lottery will be that much more important. Purposeful tanking is not a good thing and we would prob see more of that.

Good topic for discussion though 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

• 2 weeks later...

Now it's political & protest turmoil in the U, S, and A(as Borat would say). I just don't see this happening. But getting our hopes up, they kinda maintain some measure of hockey site-hits/interest.

I'll be very surprised if there's a Cup winner for this season.

2 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Now it's political & protest turmoil in the U, S, and A(as Borat would say). I just don't see this happening. But getting our hopes up, they kinda maintain some measure of hockey site-hits/interest.

I'll be very surprised if there's a Cup winner for this season.

Fortunately there's a civilized country right above with multiple willing host cities.

• Cheers 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/12/2020 at 6:47 PM, Nuxfanabroad said:

Prob not a popular opinion, but I'll throw it out there, just the same.

Reg Season & PO's: Think we gotta "Spanish Flu 1917" this baby. Hockey in the summer just ain't right. Whoever wins, it'll prob always be seen as a SC tainted by this incredibly unusual scenario. I'm sure the athletes would try..but empty buildings? C'mon, this wouldn't be right.

2020 Draft: I'd read the opinion some wks ago(forget where..maybe HF?), about shifting the whole concept towards now drafting 19 yo's. This makes a lot of sense.

Next yr, we'd simply have the same class to keep tabs on. From here on, just keep drafting kids from the 19th bday.

Lots of these kids have been rushed/hurt over the yrs. 1 more yr to mentally/physically develop seems mighty sensible & practical. Also, be easier to insert kids straight to farm teams(not back to jr's), a few months after draft. Steamline the process, so it's clear-cut, & fairly straightforward.

Why do we have to rush 18 yr olds to such a degree?

Lame is the argument.."Well, that's the way it's always been!"

There's a unique opportunity now to shift this whole youth-impetus(pressure) 1 yr elder. At the very least, I hope the league will consider & discuss such a bold change.

There are a couple other issues here(TDL deals; teams w/extra picks; bottm-dwellers on draft order; etc.), we'll see if this has any legs...

All that is mute given Linsman made it possible for all 18 year olds to get a chance to play in the NHL if they were good enough (which he most definitely was too)...and a judge agreed with him.  If they can get drafted and sent to war at 18, and can vote are legal adults etc, they have a right to play too.   Most 18 year olds get drafted and sent to a development league.  

I do agree it’s a lot easier for clubs waiting a year or two and drafting 19-20 year olds.   A lot less misses and more hits.    Also for this year anyways definitely see merit in them postponing the draft given conditional picks IF the return to play is scuttled.  

• 2 weeks later...

Increasingly skeptical they can get this all rolling. If it were sincere, they'd ideally isolate teams(small Cdn towns perhaps?) for camps covering most of July.

Do they dream of the financial gain, yet hope to bypass financial-pain($ costs of cautionary-planning/logistics)?

About 27 yrs back, a different virus afflicted the(mostly) Canadian NHL landscape. Call it the Bettman-influenza, which rendered these markets lame, ineffective & unappealing..especially for overpaid stars, desiring strong teams, low taxes & relative-anonymity.

Seems no small irony that compassion, dedication & understanding from these heavily exploited(3 decades worth!), smaller Cdn markets, could very well be the proverbial golden goose that the NHL Hindquarters(HQ!) scheisters, will likely turn to, being in their hour of need.

Can remember the first time I'd heard of them getting GB from the NBA. Said right then it would be a disaster. Big $$$ & US economic clout/financial-bullying has completely shredded what was once a somewhat honest league.

This whole fiasco feels like some form of belated, inevitable karma.