The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Top 50 Canucks of All-Time - #50

Rate this topic

-AJ-

Top 50 Canucks of All-Time - #50  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the #50 Canuck of All-Time?

This poll is closed to new votes

On to the last one! This has been great fun and I'm so happy we had strong participation all the way through. The conversations have been great too. At the end of this, I'm going to post one final thread with the final list and some stats on our final list.

Curt Fraser had a fairly solid victory and was voted as the #49 Canuck of All-Time. Barry Pederson did quite well in the nominations with five and was added as a voting option to the list.

Note that even though a nominated player here can't be voted onto the actual list, the 10 remaining nominees will still be listed as honourable mentions, so there's still something to nominate for.

For those of you who haven't seen these kinds of polls before, the way they work is you vote for who you think is the greatest/top Canuck at the position. As for what is meant by "Greatest" or "Top", I will leave that to each individual. I have my own interpretations, but others may define it differently. Worth noting, that I do want to keep this to their tenures with Vancouver and as players, thus a player like Neely would only be considered for his Vancouver time and guys like Quinn and Crawford would only be considered for their playing careers, not their coaching careers.

The List:

#1 - H. Sedin

#2 - D. Sedin

#3 - T. Linden

#4 - P. Bure

#5 - M. Naslund

#6 - S. Smyl

#7 - R. Luongo

#8 - K. McLean

#9 - T. Gradin

#10 - A. Edler

-------------------

#11 - T. Bertuzzi

#12 - M. Ohlund

#13 - R. Brodeur

#14 - A. Burrows

#15 - R. Kesler

#16 - H. Snepsts

#17 - T. Tanti

#18 - A. Mogilny

#19 - J. Lumme

#20 - S. Salo

-------------------

#21 - B. Morrison

#22 - A. Boudrias

#23 - D. Lidster

#24 - K. Bieksa

#25 - C. Ronning

#26 - D. Lever

#27 - D. Kearns

#28 - E. Jovanovski

#29 - P. Sundstrom

#30 - G. Adams

-------------------

#31 - O. Kurtenbach

#32 - P. Skriko

#33 - G. Courtnall

#34 - B. Horvat

#35 - T. Williams

#36 - D. Babych

#37 - G. Odjick

#38 - J. Hansen

#39 - D. Rota

#40 - C. Tanev

-------------------

#41 - G. Butcher

#42 - D. Ververgaert

#43 - D. Hamhuis

#44 - E. Pettersson

#45 - G. Smith

#46 - K. McCarthy

#47 - C. Oddleifson

#48 - R. Lanz

#49 - C. Fraser

• Vintage 2

Voted Gelinas, loved the drive and spirit. Scored 35 goals (most) for us in the horrible 1996-7 season. Pissed when we traded him. Met him in a gym in Kelowna last year. He was pissed too, said he really liked playing for the Canucks.

For @-AJ- I nominate Ron "The Chief" Delorme for honourable mention. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Rick Blight said:

Voted Bobby Schmautz and nominate Rick Blight..........

1 hour ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Vote for Dana Murzyn.

I'll nominate Rick Blight.

Blight would be my next pick after Boldirev.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Vote Murzyn (again), nominate Hlinka, Boldirev, Reinhart, Mitchell and Blight ha ha ... ok will start with Blight looks like he has the best chance to get in this time..

Murzyn is 31st in games played and tied for 4th in plus minus...played on both the good and the bad teams of the 90’s...was only a minus once in his career (-1).   If Tanev gets in at 40 he should be in too, held the same job (top pairing) for longer then anyone in the entire league while a Canuck and he wasn’t by default either (Lumme/Murzyn was the longest pairing in the league in the 90’s at one point).   Keep saying these things - he also had around 8 fights per year - against some very tough players some  of whom would clean Wilson’s and  Reaves clock - always to protect his teammates and his goalies.      He wasn’t my favourite player but he was a mainstay for most of a decade and at this point anyways he definitely deserves to make the top 50. 

Edit:  Also a big thanks for AJ for taking the time to do this - look forward to doing it again in five years or so - will be interesting to see where Horvat, BB, EP, QHs, Markstrom, Edler, Tanev, maybe Miller and If maybe a new or recent face (Pearson? TT, Podz?)  end up then. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

8 hours ago, CaptKirk888 said:

Voted Gelinas, loved the drive and spirit. Scored 35 goals (most) for us in the horrible 1996-7 season. Pissed when we traded him. Met him in a gym in Kelowna last year. He was pissed too, said he really liked playing for the Canucks.

For @-AJ- I nominate Ron "The Chief" Delorme for honourable mention. 

He was a fun player to watch - had wheels - and went to the gritty areas (Gelinas).   Delmore is part of one of the most iconic pictures of our first run .

Edited by IBatch