The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Top 50 Canucks of All-Time - #50

Rate this topic

-AJ-

Top 50 Canucks of All-Time - #50  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the #50 Canuck of All-Time?

This poll is closed to new votes

34 minutes ago, apollo said:

19th all time in games played... wouldn't be unreasonable for him to be 20-30 at all

Also it wasn't just 2004... his tying goal in 2003 could have been the difference between us making the West Final... but our goaltending just collapsed

Edit: sure you can say 20th is a stretch... but I did say 20-30 range... and 30th wouldn't be unreasonable at all considering his canucks tenure

In that case, I suppose I'd have to admit being curious as to where you think Jim Sandlak belongs, given that a similar case can be made for him.  509 games, 104 goals, 221 points.  A playoff hero of sorts in 1991-92 with 4 goals and 10 points in 13 games, and part of the great comeback from down 3-1 against the Jets.

• Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

In that case, I suppose I'd have to admit being curious as to where you think Jim Sandlak belongs, given that a similar case can be made for him.  509 games, 104 goals, 221 points.  A playoff hero of sorts in 1991-92 with 4 goals and 10 points in 13 games, and part of the great comeback from down 3-1 against the Jets.

I noticed after the Cooker he was next up in most games played and still not on the list. He certainly belongs on the top 50 as well. If Cooker is 30th then I'd have Jim in the 30s as well. 

I'm not gonna bash any one on the list... At the end of the day they are all Canucks and I respect every single one of them.... But too many guys with 3-5 seasons played ahead of guys like Cooke and Sandlak doesn't make much sense to me

Longevity is pretty important to me - I love guys that show loyalty to our city and fans

• Vintage 3

4 minutes ago, apollo said:

I noticed after the Cooker he was next up in most games played and still not on the list. He certainly belongs on the top 50 as well. If Cooker is 30th then I'd have Jim in the 30s as well. 

I'm not gonna bash any one on the list... At the end of the day they are all Canucks and I respect every single one of them.... But too many guys with 3-5 seasons played ahead of guys like Cooke and Sandlak doesn't make much sense to me

Longevity is pretty important to me - I love guys that show loyalty to our city and fans

Well, one thing I can say is that I made a top 50 and a top 100 and until I made the list, there were about 65 guys that I was pretty sure were in my top 50...until the math just wouldn't allow it to happen.

Yeah, I appreciate longevity and loyalty as well.  A lack of one or the other, or both, hurt all of Larionov, Nedved, Kesler, Ehrhoff, Anson Carter etc.  Kesler was the only one that built up longevity, and all of those guys picked up and voluntarily headed off for greener pastures one way or another.  Larionov was a bit complicated.

• Vintage 1

2 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Changed my vote to Boeser, just so Matt Cooke’s name isn’t part of anything Great about the Canucks. 

Sorry, Mr. Murzyn. 
Anything for the team, right?! 
Dana takes another shot for the betterment of the Canucks. 

That’s cool...I might join you.  I’ve tried my best without outright slamming the guy (by stating Sutter, LE, AG, Bear and Goldobin all have better PGP - some by quite a margin and they are both in the AHL and nobody wants them)...funny how Cooke is getting romantically thought of given the votes..his three 10-14 goal seasons - where Murzyn did the same job as Tanev plus fought for almost a decade and won’t get in the top 50.   Sure he had some big goals - lucky guy - so did a lot of other Canucks over the years too.  Murzyn is 31st in GP and tied for 4th in all-time plus minus and played during the Keenan era too

Edit:  I just blocked Cooke and voted BB.  Murzyn guys join my and 189lbs i

Edited by IBatch
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

That’s cool...I might join you.  I’ve tried my best without outright slamming the guy (by stating Sutter, LE, AG, Bear and Goldobin all have better PGP - some by quite a margin and they are both in the AHL and nobody wants them)...funny how Cooke is getting romantically thought of given the votes..his three 10-14 goal seasons - where Murzyn did the same job as Tanev plus fought for almost a decade and won’t get in the top 50.   Sure he had some big goals - lucky guy - so did a lot of other Canucks over the years too.  Murzyn is 31st in GP and tied for 4th in all-time plus minus and played during the Keenan era too

Edit:  I just blocked Cooke and voted BB.  Murzyn guys join my and 189lbs i

Wish this had beed a hidden vote all along, so people would vote who they believed should be there instead of blocking

My vote still believes it should be Murzyn and will stick by him whether he wins or not

Just now, ba;;isticsports said:

Wish this had beed a hidden vote all along, so people would vote who they believed should be there instead of blocking

My vote still believes it should be Murzyn and will stick by him whether he wins or not

This list at times got pretty strange and I changed my vote to the front runner of the best best option a half dozen times.   I’m not ashamed of it one bit and glad the poll is public too- I have a greater appreciation for who I might be talking to now.   Appolo wouldn’t be voting Cooke if he was older - same with I’m pretty sure most guys that are voting him which is ok.   I’m sure they will get frustrated in 20 years or so when someone looks at the stats and says what about Bear? He’s around .5 PPG and played a couple years ha ha.  It will happen but sure that’s exaggeration.   I didn’t mind Cooke but definitely didn’t think he was playing the game quite right in not backing up his edge play rather letting others fight for him - which isn’t a good trait for a bottom six guy.  

As far as games played goes well two seasons more of a third liner doesn’t hold water when compared to a top pairing guy in Murzyn.  Or everyone else who played around 400 games either.  Long enough.   Glad Fraser got in at least.   Don’t think three years is enough either but would give the edge to BB.  He’s a better player - all-star and deservingly so (would have been invited even under the old rules at the time ) Calder runner-up and a huge part of our next core - he’s just getting started.   I get people have their favourites - I do too - would take Momesso before Cooke too and he was here for a only half a decade.   Anyways - it is what it is and if Cooke gets in I won’t lose my mind ha ha.  I’m sure it will be the last time it happens which was also why I was campaigning for the past ten threads to get Murzyn in for a nomination which was hard enough.  

32 minutes ago, IBatch said:

This list at times got pretty strange and I changed my vote to the front runner of the best best option a half dozen times.   I’m not ashamed of it one bit and glad the poll is public too- I have a greater appreciation for who I might be talking to now.   Appolo wouldn’t be voting Cooke if he was older - same with I’m pretty sure most guys that are voting him which is ok.   I’m sure they will get frustrated in 20 years or so when someone looks at the stats and says what about Bear? He’s around .5 PPG and played a couple years ha ha.  It will happen but sure that’s exaggeration.   I didn’t mind Cooke but definitely didn’t think he was playing the game quite right in not backing up his edge play rather letting others fight for him - which isn’t a good trait for a bottom six guy.  

As far as games played goes well two seasons more of a third liner doesn’t hold water when compared to a top pairing guy in Murzyn.  Or everyone else who played around 400 games either.  Long enough.   Glad Fraser got in at least.   Don’t think three years is enough either but would give the edge to BB.  He’s a better player - all-star and deservingly so (would have been invited even under the old rules at the time ) Calder runner-up and a huge part of our next core - he’s just getting started.   I get people have their favourites - I do too - would take Momesso before Cooke too and he was here for a only half a decade.   Anyways - it is what it is and if Cooke gets in I won’t lose my mind ha ha.  I’m sure it will be the last time it happens which was also why I was campaigning for the past ten threads to get Murzyn in for a nomination which was hard enough.  

Haha, I made peace a while back with the fact that there would be a little bit of monkey business.  Boy was there some scratching and clawing to get Tiger Williams and Gary Smith in there.

I'm very happy that Boeser is on our team going forward, but the way I see it, if he gets traded this offseason, then in 50 years he won't be very distinguishable from Dale Tallon and Jocelyn Guevremont, and in fact I would probably give the edge to those two (and neither has any hope of making the honorable mentions).  One guy who set the all time record for points by a rookie defenseman, and then another guy who would have set the same record the very next year if Tallon hadn't just done it.  How did we lose our way through the 70s with two defensemen that scored 50 points as rookies when it had literally never been done before...

The one thing Boeser will always have is the All-Star Game MVP, but even that isn't what it used to be.  Ever since they started doing anything other than Campbell vs Wales, it turned into kind of a clown show and what would have been a crowning achievement in a career (Damphousse) is kind of just like...whatever.  Once captains started picking their teams like a school playground on national TV I realized that this thing wasn't even close to serious anymore.  The All-Star Games of the 80s look like playoff game 7s by comparison.

What I think is being overlooked is the fact that EP, Hughes, Boeser etc. have never played a single playoff game ever.  There hasn't even been the chance for a moment of heroism, much less seizing that moment.  That's where a guy like Reinhart really jumps ahead with only two seasons under his belt.  One playoff series ever for us and he managed two GWGs in it, from the blueline.

As for the Cooker, haha, what are you gonna do.  On the one hand, it is fitting that someone is fighting his battle for him just like old times!  On the other hand, it looks like the Cooker could be sending this thing to overtime, just like old times.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Vintage 1

26 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Haha, 

As for the Cooker, haha, what are you gonna do.  On the one hand, it is fitting that someone is fighting his battle for him just like old times!  On the other hand, it looks like the Cooker could be sending this thing to overtime, just like old times.

Nice one. 
Second one too. 

1 hour ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Haha, I made peace a while back with the fact that there would be a little bit of monkey business.  Boy was there some scratching and clawing to get Tiger Williams and Gary Smith in there.

I'm very happy that Boeser is on our team going forward, but the way I see it, if he gets traded this offseason, then in 50 years he won't be very distinguishable from Dale Tallon and Jocelyn Guevremont, and in fact I would probably give the edge to those two (and neither has any hope of making the honorable mentions).  One guy who set the all time record for points by a rookie defenseman, and then another guy who would have set the same record the very next year if Tallon hadn't just done it.  How did we lose our way through the 70s with two defensemen that scored 50 points as rookies when it had literally never been done before...

The one thing Boeser will always have is the All-Star Game MVP, but even that isn't what it used to be.  Ever since they started doing anything other than Campbell vs Wales, it turned into kind of a clown show and what would have been a crowning achievement in a career (Damphousse) is kind of just like...whatever.  Once captains started picking their teams like a school playground on national TV I realized that this thing wasn't even close to serious anymore.  The All-Star Games of the 80s look like playoff game 7s by comparison.

What I think is being overlooked is the fact that EP, Hughes, Boeser etc. have never played a single playoff game ever.  There hasn't even been the chance for a moment of heroism, much less seizing that moment.  That's where a guy like Reinhart really jumps ahead with only two seasons under his belt.  One playoff series ever for us and he managed two GWGs in it, from the blueline.

All good points.   I used to really enjoy the all-star games - even though we didn’t send many players to them in the 80’s it was still a great way to see how the leagues greatest stacked up against each other West vs East....when they changed the format to NA vs the World is when it started going south ... now it’s pretty ridiculous really - both the format and the participation awards given out so every team is represented.   It was great that Scott got in with a fan vote that backfired twice - once when some media and NHL representatives were obviously not happy about it and said as much - and twice when he went out scored a couple of goals and was carried around like he just scored a game 7 final OT goal which was great really, and awarded the MVP.   At least they also changed the fastest skater competition by adding pilons which is ok - but let the players start and then started the clock after one stride...although I think they may have fixed that.   The skills competition is ok but the games are nothing like they used to be that’s for sure.   Anyways this top fifty has been a lot of fun - thanks for posting your thoughts enjoyed them a lot. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Switched my vote to Boeser when I saw he was tied with Cooke for the lead.

Maybe Boes hasn’t earned it quite yet, but went with the emotional choice. Getting Brock into the top-50 just gives me more of the warm fuzzies than seeing Cooke end up there (not that Matt wasn’t quite a player in his day: 9 seasons with the Canucks and 1000+ career NHL games—I really wouldn’t have any problem with him making the top-50).

Had been voting Larionov for a while, but Igor just wasn’t getting the love. :( 

28 minutes ago, IBatch said:

All good points.   I used to really enjoy the all-star games - even though we didn’t send many players to them in the 80’s it was still a great way to see how the leagues greatest stacked up against each other West vs East....when they changed the format to NA vs the World is when it started going south ... now it’s pretty ridiculous really - both the format and the participation awards given out so every team is represented.   It was great that Scott got in with a fan vote that backfired twice - once when some media and NHL representatives were obviously not happy about it and said as much - and twice when he went out scored a couple of goals and was carried around like he just scored a game 7 final OT goal which was great really, and awarded the MVP.   At least they also changed the fastest skater competition by adding pilons which is ok - but let the players start and then started the clock after one stride...although I think they may have fixed that.   The skills competition is ok but the games are nothing like they used to be that’s for sure.   Anyways this top fifty has been a lot of fun - thanks for posting your thoughts enjoyed them a lot. 

Yeah it's been fun.  I kind of know now how my grandparents must have felt telling me about old hockey and baseball legends.  Most of the people around these parts saw the Sedin teams and the WCE teams for themselves.  But hopefully, if nothing else, we gave people a bit of a reason to look into the Steamer and not just assume he's the 6th greatest Canuck of the retired numbers, maybe some reason to look into Snepsts or Oddleifson or Boudrias.  Or take a mild interest in why The King and Tiger had such memorable names bestowed upon them.

It was nice to see someone fighting hard for Lever a while back, some consistent campaigning for Rick Blight in the last 10 rounds or so.

Anyway, I eventually took the time to learn about the old legends grandpa used to talk about.  Maybe someone reading these threads will think the legacy of good old Dana Murzyn or Big Serge is worth a second look on a rainy day sometime.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, Baratheon said:

Wow I thought I was a bigger Matt Cooke fan than most but apparently not!  It never even crossed my mind to vote for him lol

He wasn't nearly as dirty a player here as he became later.  Great pest, good defensive ability and the ability to score timely goals.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Yeah it's been fun.  I kind of know now how my grandparents must have felt telling me about old hockey and baseball legends.  Most of the people around these parts saw the Sedin teams and the WCE teams for themselves.  But hopefully, if nothing else, we gave people a bit of a reason to look into the Steamer and not just assume he's the 6th greatest Canuck of the retired numbers, maybe some reason to look into Snepsts or Oddleifson or Boudrias.  Or take a mild interest in why The King and Tiger had such memorable names bestowed upon them.

It was nice to see someone fighting hard for Lever a while back, some consistent campaigning for Rick Blight in the last 10 rounds or so.

Anyway, I eventually took the time to learn about the old legends grandpa used to talk about.  Maybe someone reading these threads will think the legacy of good old Dana Murzyn or Big Serge is worth a second look on a rainy day sometime.

I'm afraid that there are certainly two if not more decades of the Canucks experience that will never reach the eyes or consciousness of most on these forums. And that's not their fault.  

Unfortunately, the potential folkloric/historical source material surrounding this franchise is wanting, as our teams through the seventies and eighties were afterthoughts particularly with national media. Let's face it, had the 82 run not happened, do you think more than a handful of us would continue to hold dear the exploits of Ivan Hlinka, Lars Lindgren and Gerry "Bucky" Minor or even care that the top scoring defenceman during that spring's playoff was a twenty year old call up, Neil Belland? Keeping the legends alive is going to be a tough task going forward. This isn't baseball that we're talking about, where teams like the Yankees have had enough historical treatments written about them to fill a stadium twice over.

I am heartened by yours and others passions that are clearly evident throughout these and other threads. I believe the young generation of CDC contributors do respect the collected knowledge and insight that is here for them to draw from and that they will indeed be inspired on some rainy day to come.   

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, zimmy said:

Let's face it, had the 82 run not happened, do you think more than a handful of us would continue to hold dear the exploits of Ivan Hlinka, Lars Lindgren and Gerry "Bucky" Minor or even care that the top scoring defenceman during that spring's playoff was a twenty year old call up, Neil Belland? Keeping the legends alive is going to be a tough task going forward.

Of course that era wouldn't be held dear without the 82 run.  But those heroes did rise!  If 1994 had never happened, the Linden teams would have just been the WCE era.  Same goes with the Sedin years if 2011 hadn't happened.  It would have been WCE 2.0 and they would have been forever remembered as the 98 pound weakling on Chicago's beach.

6a00d8341f480453ef0133f28c73fd970b-800wi

I dunno, voting for someone because you hate the other option stinks to me, would BB get your vote if Larionov was leading? If not then he doesn’t deserve it now. 

irregardless BB has not done enough to be top 50 IMHO.

• Upvote 1

• -AJ- locked this topic