The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Proposal) 3 Trades, 2 UFA signings, and 1 Compliance Buyout

Here is what I hope the Canucks could do between now and next season...It does depend on a Hoglander shinning, which I truly believe he will. I feel Hoglander could be as good or slightly better then F. Fosberg. He has next level skill, as he sees the ice much like Petersson, and has a physical drive like Petey as well. They will make amazing line-mates, which frees up Miller to support Horvat and Boeser creating a extremely strong 1B option. Two scoring lines that will give opposing teams fits trying to defend. Ferland will be ready next season, as he will be 100% healthy and raring to go. Pearson becomes available, and he will be valued, and this leads to my first trade proposal. Edmonton would love Pearson, as he fits in as a top 6 forward with them, add Stecher, and Demko, and that should be enough to get Larsson who has never filled the value of the Hall trade in the eyes of Oilers fans. With Ethan Baer looking so darn good on the RD side, he should be the guy in that hole. E. Bouchard is a RD and will crack their lineup in October. 

The second and third trades are opportunities to clear cap for picks; Sutter + 3rd 2020 for a 2nd in 2020, and Roussel for a 3rd 2020.

We let Tanev, Leivo, and Fantenberg walk. Really sad to see Tanev go, but who in their right mind signs a guy who has proven to be injured often to a deal like Tanev will be looking for. Plus Larsson will be an upgrade, and will mesh beautifully with Hughes for years to come, and is 3 years younger then Tanev.

The 2 UFA's that I know would upgrade the Canucks are T. Barrie, at 28 years old, and probably could be had for around 6mil over 5 years. Imagine how dynamic he and Edler would be as a second pairing. The second UFA signing is Toffoli, and this is a must. He looked like a legit shooter option for Petey to pass to, which in turn makes Petey even more dangerous. 

The last piece to the puzzle in my mind is that OJ finally takes the leap to the NHL, and I predict he will help settle down Myers, as he is an exquisite passer, and will impress in training camp, as all of his physical gifts will shine and come through, and JB will be finally applauded for his guts in taking OJ.  This team will be a top 10 team next year with  Marky between the pipes, and a roster filled out like this.

Proposed line up:

Hoglander   Petersson   Toffoli

Miller    Horvat    Boeser

Ferland   Gaudette   Virtanen  (this is a heavy line, and with three engines)

Motte   Beagle   MacEwen

Hughes   Larsson

Edler   Barrie

OJ   Myers

Markstrom

Flame away...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Pearson, Stecher AND Demko for Adam Larsson?  I feel like they might want to keep him to shelter Bouchard, unless Bear's enough. 

But if they choose not to, I still think 3 assets for one is highway robbery for the Oilers.  I'd actually suggest Sutter and Stecher, since they could use a 3rd line center for some depth behind Leon and McDavid.  Sheahan and Khaira aren't the quality shutdown center that Sutter is, and Stecher would be a good depth piece.

Also no thanks to Barrie - he showed that when stuck behind Rielly as a PP QB (vs. being a top choice) his play tails off, and he's rumored to want big $$$.  With Quinn in charge of the top pair, I'd rather not add another big ticket scoring D-man who doesn't do well in secondary duties and costs too much for such a role.  Rather I'd want to flip Myers and hopefully use some of that value to get another right side D-man like a Colin Miller in return (since Buffalo has 4 in Ristolainen, Miller, Jokiharju and Montour they'll probably flip one?).

Hughes - Larsson (young, dynamic two-way pairing)
Edler - C. Miller (more for defense and secondary scoring)

Juolevi/ Rafferty - Benn
(Benn helps ease the kids into the lineup but if they prove ready then Edler - Rafferty and Olli - C. Miller)

Edited by Phil_314
  • Like 1

I think we should keep Leivo and trade Virtanen for a top RHD. Severson, Pulock, Pesce... Maybe dangle Virtanen + Rathbone

Edler-Myers 

Hughes- _____________ (One of 3 mentioned above)

Tryamkin-Rafferty ( One problem with this pairing is Rafferty got no games with big club this year. Definitely think he can play at this level though. Tryamkin has a lot of promise and played well when he was here, but now people question if he can play at this level after  playing in the KHL for 3 seasons )

If you don't like that 3rd pairing and think it is unstable. You could go one of them with Stecher 

• Cheers 1

11 hours ago, hammertime said:

Thats alot of pressure for a kid who had 16 pts in 41 games in the SHL. 

Honestly I think 

Hughes Tanev

Edler Brogan

Tryamkin Myers 

Brings everything your proposed D does for a fraction the price. 

If Rafferty is ready for a top 4 pairing then he would look good with Edler, but Barrie won't get the money he's looking for, he wants to play here, and he will mesh or pair up beautifully with Edler. In fact I think he'll add a few years to Edler's career, as Edler can become that stay at home, defence first guy. Don't worry about Hoglander,as  he will be our 4th rookie of the year candidate in a row. Mark my words...

20 hours ago, captaincowbasher said:

Here is what I hope the Canucks could do between now and next season...It does depend on a Hoglander shinning, which I truly believe he will. I feel Hoglander could be as good or slightly better then F. Fosberg. He has next level skill, as he sees the ice much like Petersson, and has a physical drive like Petey as well. They will make amazing line-mates, which frees up Miller to support Horvat and Boeser creating a extremely strong 1B option. Two scoring lines that will give opposing teams fits trying to defend. Ferland will be ready next season, as he will be 100% healthy and raring to go. Pearson becomes available, and he will be valued, and this leads to my first trade proposal. Edmonton would love Pearson, as he fits in as a top 6 forward with them, add Stecher, and Demko, and that should be enough to get Larsson who has never filled the value of the Hall trade in the eyes of Oilers fans. With Ethan Baer looking so darn good on the RD side, he should be the guy in that hole. E. Bouchard is a RD and will crack their lineup in October. 

The second and third trades are opportunities to clear cap for picks; Sutter + 3rd 2020 for a 2nd in 2020, and Roussel for a 3rd 2020.

We let Tanev, Leivo, and Fantenberg walk. Really sad to see Tanev go, but who in their right mind signs a guy who has proven to be injured often to a deal like Tanev will be looking for. Plus Larsson will be an upgrade, and will mesh beautifully with Hughes for years to come, and is 3 years younger then Tanev.

The 2 UFA's that I know would upgrade the Canucks are T. Barrie, at 28 years old, and probably could be had for around 6mil over 5 years. Imagine how dynamic he and Edler would be as a second pairing. The second UFA signing is Toffoli, and this is a must. He looked like a legit shooter option for Petey to pass to, which in turn makes Petey even more dangerous. 

The last piece to the puzzle in my mind is that OJ finally takes the leap to the NHL, and I predict he will help settle down Myers, as he is an exquisite passer, and will impress in training camp, as all of his physical gifts will shine and come through, and JB will be finally applauded for his guts in taking OJ.  This team will be a top 10 team next year with  Marky between the pipes, and a roster filled out like this.

Proposed line up:

Hoglander   Petersson   Toffoli

Miller    Horvat    Boeser

Ferland   Gaudette   Virtanen  (this is a heavy line, and with three engines)

Motte   Beagle   MacEwen

Hughes   Larsson

Edler   Barrie

OJ   Myers

Markstrom

Flame away...

This trade would be very bad? Your trading Demko future #1 goalie ---- Pearson 19-23 G - PTS 46 -55  - Along with Stetcher solid #5 MAYBE #4 D guy..

Larsson to Van...

Very Very bad trade, you must be a Oilers fan? Larsson is at most a # 3 -age 27 yrs old ..

Come on be realistic not many forward can jump into the league as a 19 yr old and play in top 6...Pettersson and Boeser are exceptions in there rookie seasons..

Hoglander will play in Utica next season in a top 6 role and if lucky might get 5 NHL games....Hoglander had great world Jr U20, but his stat on his Sweden team were nothing special...

Demko for Larsson .....

Stetcher  26  RFA -- trade  for 3rd rounder

Pearson 27 --- Value is high and we need to keep him, cap friendly.

Would never package Pearson, Demko, Stetcher to Edmonton for Larsson..

We could get a better D man with that kind of package...

Just now, wildcam said:

This trade would be very bad? Your trading Demko future #1 goalie ---- Pearson 19-23 G - PTS 46 -55  - Along with Stetcher solid #5 MAYBE #4 D guy..

Larsson to Van...

Very Very bad trade, you must be a Oilers fan? Larsson is at most a # 3 -age 27 yrs old ..

Come on be realistic not many forward can jump into the league as a 19 yr old and play in top 6...Pettersson and Boeser are exceptions in there rookie seasons..

Hoglander will play in Utica next season in a top 6 role and if lucky might get 5 NHL games....Hoglander had great world Jr U20, but his stat on his Sweden team were nothing special...

Demko for Larsson .....

I would rather go after a solid 2 way D man good in defensive zone...Barrie is weaker in defensive zone coverage and will want 7 million x4 yrs

6 minutes ago, wildcam said:

Larsson to Van...

Demko for Larsson .....

ya that trades awful id want  a top 5 pick prospect for pearson and demko   or like proporov or  mcavoy  type dmen

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Outsiders said:

I think we should keep Leivo and trade Virtanen for a top RHD. Severson, Pulock, Pesce... Maybe dangle Virtanen + Rathbone

Edler-Myers 

Hughes- _____________ (One of 3 mentioned above)

Tryamkin-Rafferty ( One problem with this pairing is Rafferty got no games with big club this year. Definitely think he can play at this level though. Tryamkin has a lot of promise and played well when he was here, but now people question if he can play at this level after  playing in the KHL for 3 seasons )

If you don't like that 3rd pairing and think it is unstable. You could go one of them with Stecher 

I would not trade Rathbone until getting a look at him. He's only 20 got wheels to burn and is putting up very very good numbers 31pts in 28 games for Harvard. for perspective Quinn Hughes put up 33pts in 32 games for Michigan before comming to the NHL. I am by no means saying he will be as good as Quinn I'm just saying don't throw him willy nilly into trade proposals without getting a look at him in the show first.

33 minutes ago, hammertime said:

I would not trade Rathbone until getting a look at him. He's only 20 got wheels to burn and is putting up very very good numbers 31pts in 28 games for Harvard. for perspective Quinn Hughes put up 33pts in 32 games for Michigan before comming to the NHL. I am by no means saying he will be as good as Quinn I'm just saying don't throw him willy nilly into trade proposals without getting a look at him in the show first.

I really like Rathbone but he had 3 forward on his team that were top 10 in league scoring so that helps Rathbones stats

Abruzzese 44 - Drury 39 - Dornbach 36 - Rathbone 31

Quinn Hughes was the top point guy on his team with not great support..

Hughes 33 - Lockwood -31 - Staker 25

Edited by wildcam

1rst trade

Boeser, Guadette and Stecher for 2 1rst round picks, Dumba and Greenway

2nd trade

Rafferty, rights to Rathbone and Eriksson to Ottawa for Islanders first round pick

3rd trade

Juloevi, Woo and 3rd pick to Tampa for Sergachev and Paquet

UFA's

Tanev

Hall

Buy out?

Save it for trade purposes

2 hours ago, hammertime said:

I'm not just throwing him away for nothing lol. You're getting a solid number #3 defensemen that is a right handed shot. Believe me I don't wanna trade Rathbone. I doubt those teams are giving away those D I mentioned, without getting a solid D prospect back. I'd say Juolevi but his value isn't there right now and I believe he is still gonna be top 4 for us.

Scratching my head why people are so high on Hoglander on here. Is there some sort of back up to this? Even going so far as to declaring he is going to be a 1st line winger next year...? Or is it just some sort of pipedream where we will all forgot about these posts come October (hopefully no more COVID by then)

• Like 1

21 hours ago, captaincowbasher said:

I'm not sold on Tryamkin guys, as he was just ok in the 3-4th best league in the world. Plus OJ is going to surprise everyone in training camp.

First off the KHL is still considered the second best league in the world, then the SHL then the AHL.   Second of all OJ is learning but still not the best defenseman in on that team, probably third best.     

Not to mention when Tryamkin was here he was just fine on the bottom pairing and it’s not like the competition on the bottom right side or left side is that tough now.   

I’m sure OJ will get some chances - he is in Utica with PP time and given where he went in the draft.   But I’m not so sure he will earn a spot next year either - see him more of an injury call-up at this point then anything.   

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

21 hours ago, captaincowbasher said:

If Rafferty is ready for a top 4 pairing then he would look good with Edler, but Barrie won't get the money he's looking for, he wants to play here, and he will mesh or pair up beautifully with Edler. In fact I think he'll add a few years to Edler's career, as Edler can become that stay at home, defence first guy. Don't worry about Hoglander,as  he will be our 4th rookie of the year candidate in a row. Mark my words...

Rafferty looks to be Stechers replacement at some point ... he’s paying his dues.   Not sure how Hoglander and his 16 points in 41 games compares to EPs draft plus one year where he was the leagues regular season and playoff MVP?  We knew ahead of time we were getting something special after he ripped it up his first year after the draft.  It would be a complete shock to the hockey world if he came in, won a spot out of camp, and then worked his way up the lineup to get the plumb assignment playing with EP and Calder votes.   Doubt he’s supplanting Miller, and unless Pearson falls off a cliff doubt he’s playing with Horvat either.   Think a reasonable expectation is he has a shot as a middle six forward, and at best might see games as an injury replacement next season.  Dahlen showed a lot of promise too at one point and look what happened there. 

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, wildcam said:

Larsson to Van...

Demko for Larsson .....

I'm not sure what you've been watching, but Demko is not a future number 1, Pearson's value has never been higher and with players like Hogs and Ipod coming he becomes very expendable. Stecher is probably being traded anyways, so why not bring in a guy that fills the first pair RD, and will be a slick, physical defenceman that is a Marc Methot-like player.

No way does Hoglander play in Utica next season. Just watch and be pleasantly surprised, and remember CaptainCowbasher predicted this, and then pay appropriate respect...lol just kidding.

When Ipod gets here he to will make the team, so think who would be expendable? it won't be Miller, Toffoli, Boeser, or Hoglander. Virtanen, after the upcoming playoffs might be the least expendable of all. So maybe Ferland some how gets through a full season and managers 15-20 goals and 150 hits making him a potential trade target that lands a decent draft pick...

On 5/14/2020 at 12:48 PM, captaincowbasher said:

Larsson

We would be doing Edmonton a favor.

Larsson  is UFA in 12 months.  Its just not a trade we should entertain for Demko. I dont think value is completely horrible?

We could get more selling each of Stecher, Pearson & Demko independently.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, captaincowbasher said:

I'm not sure what you've been watching, but Demko is not a future number 1, Pearson's value has never been higher and with players like Hogs and Ipod coming he becomes very expendable. Stecher is probably being traded anyways, so why not bring in a guy that fills the first pair RD, and will be a slick, physical defenceman that is a Marc Methot-like player.

No way does Hoglander play in Utica next season. Just watch and be pleasantly surprised, and remember CaptainCowbasher predicted this, and then pay appropriate respect...lol just kidding.

When Ipod gets here he to will make the team, so think who would be expendable? it won't be Miller, Toffoli, Boeser, or Hoglander. Virtanen, after the upcoming playoffs might be the least expendable of all. So maybe Ferland some how gets through a full season and managers 15-20 goals and 150 hits making him a potential trade target that lands a decent draft pick...

Sorry you are dreaming big time....Pettersson lead the SHL in scoring and playoffs..

Hoglander is realistically 2 years away from the NHL..

Now if your talking Podkolzin- 19,  6'1, 200 lbs he will come play in NHL next March after KHL season is over. He had a excellent playoff.

Hoglander 19, 5'9, 180lbs..

2018- 19  - GP 50 - G 7 - PTS 14

2019 - 20    GP 41 -  G 9 - PTS  16    You think is is making the NHL ??? Big No Sorry.. Lets hope he  plays top 6 in Utica?

Remember Anton Rodin -- 2019 -2000 --- GP 46 - G 14   PTS 46   

Sorry Hoglander will not be a impact player next season and he will be playing in Utica ..

Demko will be a number #1 goalie before 2022 season...He has dominated at each level college breaking Cory Schneider's record, played at world JR U20 - AHL 3 years and now  adjusting to NHL game at 24 years old..

Demko played 27 NHL games this season at age 24 maybe at 2 games that he wasn't happy with...He played very well ....

So Demko is following same path as Cory Schneider..

Cory played 3 seasons in Utica and at age 26 he played 25 NHL games and had a excellent career..

Demko will be as good as Cory Schneider..

Edited by wildcam
  • Cheers 1