The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Please note a good deed you've done recently for another stranger.

Ms.Glitter

Someone online was asking who could scan their vehicle as the check engine light was on and she was in a financial bind and didn't want to spend $100 or whatever to do it at a shop. Someone offered to do it for her for $20 (which is reasonable) but I told her just to drop by my house and did it for free.

Also lent a stranger (who I found online) my computer keyboard as they were in a bind and needed to work from home for a few days. The keyboard was returned with 3 cans of booze and a bag of chips, all in a nice gift bag. I totally didn't expect that, but it brought a smile to my face.

Both of these are small acts of kindness that barely put me out at all. I am no hero. But they made bigger differences in the lives of the people who I helped, and it does give you a bit of a warm fuzzy feeling to help out your community. And really, at a time like this, couldn't we all use a little more community?

• Like 2

11 hours ago, You Mad Bro? said:

Pickup a sandwich from the grocery store and give it to the homeless guy near by. Easy to take the little things for granted. Like eating when you’re hungry. 

Ha...true story.

I, too, buy food (rather than give $$ to) homeless people.

There's one guy who sits at Broadmoor daily, feeding the pigeons.  Apparently he lives in his car (so he does at least have that).  I bought him a breakfast sandwich and coffee a few times...he told me exactly which breakfast sandwich he preferred at Safeway.  So once when I said I'll grab you breakfast he said "I'm getting kind of tired of that...can you go get me Subway".

I also used to be buy pizza for a different homeless guy (who my Dad's friend made a bike cart for to pack around his belongings).   One day he was more hesitant when I said "I'll grab you some pizza" as I passed.  Wasn't sure why he reacted differently but he asked if I could grab a bunch of extra napkins.  Pizza Factory knew by this time that the pizza I was getting was for the guy outside...as I paid they said "another guy saw you do that before and he just took him a pizza".  As I walked away after giving it to him, I noticed he shoved it in his knapsack.  "For later".  :towel:

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

Driver passed out behind the wheel so I helped push his jeep so it wouldn't drift into any parked cars while my friend dialed 911.  Hope he, his passenger and the bystander that helped me didn't have Covid.

1 hour ago, debluvscanucks said:

Ha...true story.

There's one guy who sits at Broadmoor daily, feeding the pigeons.  Apparently he lives in his car (so he does at least have that).  I bought him a breakfast sandwich and coffee a few times...he told me exactly which breakfast sandwich he preferred at Safeway.  So once when I said I'll grab you breakfast he said "I'm getting kind of tired of that...can you go get me Subway".

I also used to be buy pizza for a different homeless guy (who my Dad's friend made a bike cart for to pack around his belongings).   One day he was more hesitant when I said "I'll grab you some pizza" as I passed.  Wasn't sure why he reacted differently but he asked if I could grab a bunch of extra napkins.  Pizza Factory knew by this time that the pizza I was getting was for the guy outside...as I paid they said "another guy saw you do that before and he just took him a pizza".  As I walked away after giving it to him, I noticed he shoved it in his knapsack.  "For later".  :towel:

Last time a 'homeless' man ask me for coin he had better clothes on than me and I aint joking. 

• Haha 1

Joined a group on Facebook called Whiskey Ninjas. Idea of the group is to pay it forward. You find your city page and gift booze to complete strangers, but your ninja about it. They post their addresses, you pick the one(s) you want to gift booze and sneak up on them. I went out dressed as an Alien, Woody from toy story and just myself, so much fun, haven't been caught yet. 

I also found the guy that does Batman kid parties, I am going to his place next, except this time it'll be diabolical. I will be dressed as the Joker, I have labeled all the beer cans with all Batmans arch nemesis faces and I will be videoing his reaction as he opens the box I set on his porch. This will be a crate nailed shut with a crow bar on top HAHAHA  

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

This is a bit of a long story, so bear with me....

I was out picking up some essentials, when I saw a family on a grassy area just off the road. They looked like they were having a rough go, so I pulled over and asked if I could help.

The father explained that he couldn't work because of Covid and because he was self employed, didn't qualify for benefits. Things had gotten so bad that he and his family had started eating grass....I piled them in the back seat of my car and headed for home....

The father looked at me with tears in his eyes and said he couldn't thank me enough....

"Think nothing of it", I said.... "You're going to love it at my place....I haven't mowed the lawn for weeks!"

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Wat 1

10 hours ago, joe-max said:

To a stranger?

confused GIF

Yes, that is the best way to keep your marriage / relationship new. interesting  and fresh.

Pretend you are strangers... makes going to bed at night much more exciting.

2 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

Ha...true story.

That’s beauty haha. Yea I don’t love giving homeless folks money because unfortunately a lot of them will spend it on stuff that’s not good for them. Zero problem giving them food tho. 

• Cheers 1

At Costco yesterday I saw an elderly lady trying to get a piece of large office furniture out of the back of her RAV4.  There was absolutely no way she was going to be able to do that herself (I don't know who did it for her at her house or who actually thought she'd be able to return it by herself) so I asked her if she needed assistance and if she was ok with me unloading it for her and bringing it to the return counter - through her mask I could tell she was grateful, so I loaded it onto a trolley and brought it to the return counter and told them an older lady would be there shortly to do the return.  Not a big deal really, as where I live I'm certain that someone would've helped her if I wasn't walking by. 

• Cheers 2

41 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

At Costco yesterday I saw an elderly lady trying to get a piece of large office furniture out of the back of her RAV4.  There was absolutely no way she was going to be able to do that herself (I don't know who did it for her at her house or who actually thought she'd be able to return it by herself) so I asked her if she needed assistance and if she was ok with me unloading it for her and bringing it to the return counter - through her mask I could tell she was grateful, so I loaded it onto a trolley and brought it to the return counter and told them an older lady would be there shortly to do the return.  Not a big deal really, as where I live I'm certain that someone would've helped her if I wasn't walking by. 

nice one, Fanuck. I'm sure she was very grateful for that.

23 hours ago, You Mad Bro? said:

That’s beauty haha. Yea I don’t love giving homeless folks money because unfortunately a lot of them will spend it on stuff that’s not good for them. Zero problem giving them food tho. 

This is entirely me that thinks this but the people on the street have a myriad of personal problems. (I'm making no judgements when I make this statement).

On one hand, giving food is a beautiful expression that people still care about them. On the other hand, only a small portion of people who actually appreciate the gesture go on to live meaningful lives when they turn it around. The rest are on the street because of mental illness and that no one else wants them around them.

I believe the people need more help than just food and money. I've just seen too many homeless people who "ask for food" but in reality, just want money. (I am not generalizing all homeless people in this category). My thought on this is, how do we "intervene" these people? Because some of these pe.ople don't want to face their problems, they turn to substances.

Food is good. I'm not knocking on anyone who delivers food to them. I just think we as a society need to do more for them, but not simply give them food and money. These two are pretty "temporary solutions".

A couple of months ago, I tried to stop a guy from shoplifting some cookies at Mr. Sub. The guy bolted with the cookies and I chased him down the street. I was taken aback by his desperation to get away (I hadn't done this sort of thing before). In the end, he got away, even though I thought I was a pretty fast runner.

I realized two things:

He stole cookies probably because he was hungry - or he was providing them for someone else. In other words, he was desperate - not necessarily that he was evil.

I realized that I didn't want to get injured, so I let up on him, particularly because I was afraid he might have a weapon on him. The incident gave me a newer perspective on life.

Afterwards, I felt like a failure.

1) I let the guy go because he struggled more than I did. He was more desperate than I was.

2) Trying to stop him was quite meaningless because it wasn't like he stole cash. He probably was hungry. I was no hero.

21 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

A couple of months ago, I tried to stop a guy from shoplifting some cookies at Mr. Sub. The guy bolted with the cookies and I chased him down the street. I was taken aback by his desperation to get away (I hadn't done this sort of thing before). In the end, he got away, even though I thought I was a pretty fast runner.

I realized two things:

He stole cookies probably because he was hungry - or he was providing them for someone else. In other words, he was desperate - not necessarily that he was evil.

I realized that I didn't want to get injured, so I let up on him, particularly because I was afraid he might have a weapon on him. The incident gave me a newer perspective on life.

Afterwards, I felt like a failure.

1) I let the guy go because he struggled more than I did. He was more desperate than I was.

2) Trying to stop him was quite meaningless because it wasn't like he stole cash. He probably was hungry. I was no hero.

I have witnessed people steal things before.

Not worth my time or an injury to step in. Although I learned the hard way as I stepped in once....there was a large clean up required by staff. Never worth it.

A seperate time some guy crouched vodka right in front of me and the teller. I asked the teller if he was going to step in...he said "not worth an injury". 100% agree.

I then tried to crouch my $400 whiskey order. He laughed and said "nice try".

Edited by Chris12345
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1