The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Proposal) Canucks and ducks.

1 hour ago, lmm said:

yes and as far as I can tell the Canucks have drafted 2 guys from the BCHL, no not Manson, Benn, Hull, Farraro, Fabro, but Chad Brownlee and Andrew Sarauer

Rob Gordon- former Powell River Paper King   2nd rnd # 39 overall pick.

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=19324

I saw this guy play, had a good year then a great year in bcjhl

1992-93 Powell River Paper Kings BCJHL 60 55 38 93 76            
1993-94 Powell River Paper Kings BCJHL 60 69 89 158

No to Getzlaffs (enough said)

Yes to Manson - what would the price be for Manson? A 1st + very good prospect + roster player

So maybe ANA be asking for a 1st + Hoglander + Stecher...would you do it?

And I wonder if VAN would be on Manson's 12-team no trade list or not...

• Wat 1

15 hours ago, IBatch said:

This is thinking outside the box but not sure what the actual trade is.   Is it Gaudette and Stetcher for Getzlaf and Manson and salary retained?  Well we all know that’s not enough.  So maybe it’s Gaudette and Brock.   Love Manson - he’s a veteran that’s most likely going to age like fine wine.   Mitchell 2.0 possibly for us and he’s RHD.    I’d trade AG for him in a heartbeat. 

Getzlaf is probably going to the HHOF...one of the best centres of his generation given his intangibles (not just a regular top ten scorer in his prime - but a leader and tough guy to play against etc).  I see him as a future rental more then anything else - and he’d definitely get a first in return.   AG might also be enough for him on his own depending how high ANA is on him ... 33 points in 68ish games is nothing to sneeze at for a third line center - in his second season. 

Brock for either of these guys is a non-starter.  We need youth in our core and he’s a key member.  If Manson was the same age I’d consider it - ANA would have to add quite a bit for me to consider that. A first rounder for starters.  That would be a fair trade - not good but fair. 

Now here’s the crux of this proposal that been overlooked.  No way we could afford TT as well - his money is going to Getzlaf let’s say ANA retains 3 million to make it fair there.  So the cost of this trade also includes him.   Or we lose Tanev instead.

I’d say we’d be a better team in the long run by staying the course with the guys we have.   AG has some upside to eventually maybe become our second line center.   He’s scoring at the same rate Horvat was in a similar role with less to work with.   Some nights this year he was our best player.   That’s what you want and need from the youth in your lineup- same with JV (some games he was our best player too).   I like that line exactly how it is.   With Ferland or Roussel the grit is good enough too.  

Yes absolutely Getzlaf is an upgrade - however he’s often injured now too, maybe in a lesser role he’d be more durable but it’s a risk from that viewpoint too.   But only for a year or two then I’d say it’s a wash based on age (AG for Getzlaf).  This is the sort of move you make in two or three years when the teams contending and you want to go for it to add depth and improve the lineup etc.   So the timing is also off even if we could afford it. 

This deal means no Brock and no TT unless Manson replaces Tanev, and we get a modest bump on our third line.  That’s a lot less goals...so hard pass. 

Well I said Brock , Guad and stech could making of the deal or fetch the peieces needed to make this trade, sorry I should have been more clear.

i see it at as makin the most of petey and quinns cheap years and getting a better player now rather then wait and by that time our young stars will need raises......

okay yea I see the cap problems but if buys outs do happen and if the ducks retained salary on Getz we wouldn't be that bad and for sure if we can move sutter.....I want Getz cause his play making is far better then Guad and sutter and the wingers we have and the ones we have in the pipeline would only benifit and not to mention he might sign an cheaper two year deal.......

injuries I do worry too but hey you can hit by a bus crossing the street but his had a few months to rest and we would be getting a rested Getz......

i think with Getz and virtanen on the third line would be great cause we haven't really seen what Jake can do with a play making center on a regular basis and that goes for other guys too. 

I see Manson as replacing tanev and no Brock? Is that real a problem when his always injuried?

and if buy outs do happen then we could keep TT and not to forget ferland is a question mark.......

11 hours ago, lmm said:

This proposal has potential

potential to be Messier 2.0

what makes you think a former Captain of our divisional rival  wants to come here to play 3rd fiddle to Petey and Bo?

What makes you think he comes here and sees a Cup potential team?

He might slide into the Bruins on  deadline day, what with them running away with the league, But he comes here and says , "I brought the only guy that can play D and I will be retired long before this team is ready" " I guess I coast into the sunset"

I like Manson though, I wonder how we missed him playing in Salmon Arm for 2 years before draft day

Do we even have a BC scout?

Cause Getz plays with fire just like Miller and kes did. 

He wants another ring and we could be a cup contender with adding those two do you agree? 

Also if he wants to much bye......bo and petey are the two centres and look at the Hawks they signed their third line center most years ha 

i have no clue man.....I've given up hoping Canucks draft players from b.c ha I wanted Shea Theodore instead of hunter......

11 hours ago, RowdyCanuck said:

Cause Getz plays with fire just like Miller and kes did. 

He wants another ring and we could be a cup contender with adding those two do you agree? 

Also if he wants to much bye......bo and petey are the two centres and look at the Hawks they signed their third line center most years ha 

i have no clue man.....I've given up hoping Canucks draft players from b.c ha I wanted Shea Theodore instead of hunter......

I guess I disagree

I think we might get there in a couple of years, but I do not think we are close now

Canucks have no playoff experience

Markstrom is injured and has no playoff experience

Manson does not solve our D problems, although I do like him, he is coming off a tough year. Maybe a good time to "buy low"

Getz is 35 and coming off his longest layoff, and he is a big guy. he might have a real hard time next season, or he might just call it a day

The same might be true of Edler

Some guys will struggle coming out of the long break, and I think it will be the big old guys

We still have Loui, Ferland, Roost, Sutter 

this seem like a move to be made in 2 or 3 years after we have some playoff experience, but Getz will likely be rertired by then and Manson might be Jordie Benn

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/17/2020 at 3:19 PM, RowdyCanuck said:

Okay since there's no hockey why not think a lil crazy.......

i was thinking about Ryan Getz and how he showed he still has hands and was thinking he would be the perfect target for the Canucks  if the ducks eat some cap.......

okay let me explain I love Guad but his not a play maker and having a third line center like Getz would give us a three headed monster......not to mention he would be cost controlled....

now the other duck on my wish list is josh Manson .......I think that one doesn't need explained...

now i look at guys like Brock and Guad and stech and see them that could fetch the pieces needed or be enough by themselves if we add picks.....

not to mention the pens won with three play making centres and a centre can also help us raise the value of our wingers like the pens did.....

also if Manson fits with thuggy bear , Manson could have a longer career...look at chara ...

Manson is a great long term replacement for Tanev and one of the Ducks players they could use to add picks and youth into their next rebuild.   Not sure when he’s up for his next deal but if we could trade for him that included a new deal I’d be pretty stoked.    JV .... and what?  

On June 9, 2020 at 9:05 AM, IBatch said:

Manson is a great long term replacement for Tanev and one of the Ducks players they could use to add picks and youth into their next rebuild.   Not sure when he’s up for his next deal but if we could trade for him that included a new deal I’d be pretty stoked.    JV .... and what?  

That's tough cause I could see the ducks being like the preds and wanting Guad instead of JV .....

i wonder what the deal would look like if we took keslers contract , a lot of people don't think he will play again ..... 

34 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

That's tough cause I could see the ducks being like the preds and wanting Guad instead of JV .....

i wonder what the deal would look like if we took keslers contract , a lot of people don't think he will play again ..... 

Nashville has most likely no interest in either.  It's a veteran team that has their window wide open and has no time for developing players.  Was the main reason they moved Fiala.  Poile made the bet two weeks before trading him that he was going to become a 30 goal scorer.  He explained that Granlund fit their timeline better as Fiala needed more development time.

Edited by mll

Manson is already 28 turning 29 in October which is my biggest concern with him, but he has an affordable 4.1m cap hit for the next 2 seasons

to ana: virtanen, stecher

to Van: Manson 

Somehow sign tanev to a cap friendly deal 

edler-Manson

hughes-tanev

benn-Myers 

that’s the best blue line We’ve had since 2011 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mll said:

Nashville has most likely no interest in either.  It's a veteran team that has their window wide open and has no time for developing players.  Was the main reason they moved Fiala.  Poile made the bet two weeks before trading him that he was going to become a 30 goal scorer.  He explained that Granlund fit their timeline better as Fiala needed more development time.

Ah I thought that was why the p.k subban deal fell threw cause Jim didn't want to give up Guad but I could be wrong. 

On 6/14/2020 at 7:38 AM, RowdyCanuck said:

Ah I thought that was why the p.k subban deal fell threw cause Jim didn't want to give up Guad but I could be wrong. 

Vancouver media made it sound like it was but it wasn't the reason.  Poile was looking to move Subban's full cap hit and didn't want to take any salary back as they wanted to get Duchene.  Gaudette would have likely been sent to Milwaukee (or traded further) without any cap impact as he is on an ELC.  

There was no room at C and didn't for a long time.  Johansen Duchene Turris Bonino Sissons are all Cs and signed long term - 5 to 8 years for all except Bonino who only has 2.   But Sissons (with a new 7 year deal) and Jarnkrok are natural Cs and they have Trenin waiting his turn in the minors too. 

NJD was the only team willing to take the full cap hit.   Shero and Poile gave pretty detailed explanations with time lines on how the deal came about and Poile explained his reasoning process.  

• Thanks 1

On 5/17/2020 at 12:19 PM, RowdyCanuck said:

Okay since there's no hockey why not think a lil crazy.......

i was thinking about Ryan Getz and how he showed he still has hands and was thinking he would be the perfect target for the Canucks  if the ducks eat some cap.......

okay let me explain I love Guad but his not a play maker and having a third line center like Getz would give us a three headed monster......not to mention he would be cost controlled....

now the other duck on my wish list is josh Manson .......I think that one doesn't need explained...

now i look at guys like Brock and Guad and stech and see them that could fetch the pieces needed or be enough by themselves if we add picks.....

not to mention the pens won with three play making centres and a centre can also help us raise the value of our wingers like the pens did.....

also if Manson fits with thuggy bear , Manson could have a longer career...look at chara ...

I was thinking about Anaheim's willingness to take on cap.

Would Eriksson and Virtanen for Manson work?

On June 20, 2020 at 2:03 PM, komodo0921 said:

I was thinking about Anaheim's willingness to take on cap.

Would Eriksson and Virtanen for Manson work?

Yea but man I would miss Jake , but for imho a legit first pairing of huggy bear and Manson would be worth it. 

Also with VP in the system we have another rw in the pipeline and also kole Lind so yea it's going be a winger.....kinda wish we could trade Brock for a good package and then use some of that to land Manson.