The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Snowbird Jet Crashes into house in Kamloops

greenbean

Aound 11:50am this morning 2 Snowbirds took off from YKA heading to Comox and one of them pretty much fell out of the sky into Brocklehurst neighbourhood in Kamloops striking a house.

Such a crazy event, there is a video of it and literally the plane takes off, banks and then goes nose first into the ground. Tragically, one of the pilots didn't make it.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/plane-crash-kamloops-1.5573930

Spoiler

Canadian Forces Snowbirds jet crashes in Kamloops, B.C.

'The plane just did a cartwheel and fell right out of the sky,' witness says

CBC News · Posted: May 17, 2020 12:43 PM PT | Last Updated: 18 minutes ago

kamloops-crash.jpg
A Snowbirds jet crashed near a house in Kamloops, B.C., on Sunday. B.C. Health Minister Adrian Dix said one person was taken to hospital after the crash. (Elwood Delaney)
comments

A Canadian Forces Snowbirds jet crashed in Kamloops, B.C., on Sunday, the Department of National Defence confirmed.

"This is a developing situation. Our number one priority at this time is determining the status of our personnel, the community and supporting emergency personnel," the department said in a statement. 

Emergency crews from the Kamloops Airport are responding to the incident, the department said.

No other information was provided.

In a tweet Sunday afternoon, B.C. Health Minister Adrian Dix said one person was taken to hospital after the crash.

Late this morning @BC_EHS received multiple calls about a plane crash near the Kamloops airport. Paramedics and air ambulances were dispatched and one individual was transported to hospital. Our thoughts are with all affected during this difficult time.

Witness saw parachute land on house

Witness Annette Schonewille said she saw the jet fall from the sky. 

Schonewille was parked with friends having coffee at McArthur Island Park in Kamloops.

She said she watched one Snowbirds plane fly up and when the second one went after it, it appeared to catch on fire.

"The one plane continued and the other one ... was a ball of fire," she said.

"No noise, it was strange, and then the plane just did a cartwheel and fell right out of the sky. Just boom, straight down, and then a burst of black, black smoke."

Joe Leroux said he was at his uncle's house in Kamloops when he heard "weird" noises coming from the sky.

He said he saw fire coming from the jet and it appeared the pilot was trying to gain control.

"As I watched longer I saw more smoke and then all of a sudden a chute came out of the plane, and almost immediately as the chute came out of the plane, the plane had exploded," Leroux said.

"This all happened really quick."

Emergency crews including Kamloops Airport's aircraft rescue fleet are responding to an aircraft crash off airport involving a Canadian Snowbirds jet. More information to follow.

Elwood Delaney said he watched two jets take off from the airport near his house.

"The other one didn't quite bank up high enough and it kind of got it behind the trees and saw a parachute come out of it and then smoke there," he said. 

"I saw one parachuter who landed on a house close by."

Photos provided to CBC News by Delaney show the remains of a jet in the front yard of a house and what appears to be a parachute on the roof.

kamloops-crash.jpg
Witnesses say the Snowbirds pilot landed with a parachute on the roof of this house in Kamloops, B.C., a few homes away from where the plane crashed. (Elwood Delaney)

Snowbird jet crashed in U.S. last October

The jets had arrived in Kamloops on Saturday after flyovers in Alberta. 

The Snowbirds aerobatics team was scheduled to do a flyover of the Okanagan area Sunday as part of Operation Inspiration, a salute to Canadians and front-line workers during the COVID-19 pandemic.

On Sunday morning the Snowbirds tweeted some mountain passes had low cloud cover, which would be unsafe to fly through. 

In an Instagram story post on Saturday, a Snowbirds pilot said the team was in Kamloops and was dealing with some "electrical malfunctions."

Video of two Snowbirds taking off on Sunday shows one jet veering into the sky before plummeting down shortly after takeoff.

OKANAGAN: We know some areas are starting to clear up, however transit through some of the mountain passes have very low cloud cover which is unsafe for flying 9 jets. We are going to preposition to Comox to start working our way west.

This is the latest incident involving the military's air acrobatic team.

Another Snowbird went down in the U.S. state of Georgia last October, where the team was scheduled to perform an air show. 

Capt. Kevin Domon-Grenier sustained minor injuries when he ejected from the plane, which crashed into a farmer's field. No one else was hurt.

The Snowbirds have performed at air shows across Canada and the U.S. for decades and are considered a key tool for raising awareness recruiting for the air force. Eleven aircraft are used during shows, with nine flying and two kept as spares.

The air force obtained its Tutor jets in 1963 and has used them in air demonstrations since 1971. Prior to Sunday's crash, seven pilots and one passenger had been killed and several aircraft had been lost over the course of the Snowbirds' history.

snowbirds-solo.jpg
The Snowbirds aerobatics team was scheduled to do a flyover of the Okanagan area Sunday as part of Operation Inspiration, a salute to Canadians and front-line workers during the COVID-19 pandemic. (@Daggerville)

Edited by greenbean
Changed some info

There were some people up here in PG that were upset the snowbirds didn't come our way.  If this was PG, the crash could have happened in the neighborhood i grew up in.  There's an elementary school near the flight path going from the south into the airport here.

Hopefully the pilot recovers without any lasting issues. 

And they were supposed to be touring Canada to bring something positive to communities across the nation......very unfortunate sadly. Luckily the outcome wasn't worse, based on op's post,  but we'll see what really happened shortly I'm guessing. 

Edited by Fanuck

8 minutes ago, PrideInThisTeam said:

It was practically just across the river from where I live in town, I've heard reports of one dead and one alive as well, but nothing confirmed as of yet.

Yeah, I've heard those reports as well. But then I've also heard the people in the house were able to get out safely.

I'm sure more details will get released as the day goes on.

It’s been a bummer of a year and the last couple of weeks especially for our forces.  Add the Nova Scotia massacre to that list as well. :( I officially hate 2020. 

Edited by sonoman

2 hours ago, Sharpshooter said:

I thought there were two ejections in the video

It was getting pretty close to the ground by the time they ejected there might not have been enough time for the parachute to deploy properly. 

RIP.  It's probably not the time for this. But the CT-114's are almost 60 years old. Since we need some Canadian jobs maybe it's time we started building our own basic and advanced trainers. Maybe make them like the F-5's used to be, and useable not only as trainers but reserve fighters. 

Maybe some cargo planes, seaplanes for air ambulance, and water bombers?

Something like the Yak-130's or BAE Hawks. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yakovlev_Yak-130

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BAE_Systems_Hawk

Edited by Ghostsof1915

59 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

It was getting pretty close to the ground by the time they ejected there might not have been enough time for the parachute to deploy properly. 

RIP.  It's probably not the time for this. But the CT-114's are almost 60 years old. Since we need some Canadian jobs maybe it's time we started building our own basic and advanced trainers. Maybe make them like the F-5's used to be, and useable not only as trainers but reserve fighters. 

Maybe some cargo planes, seaplanes for air ambulance, and water bombers?

Something like the Yak-130's or BAE Hawks. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yakovlev_Yak-130

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BAE_Systems_Hawk

My guess is that it was a bird that got into the engine. If that ends up being the case, there's not a heck of a lot you can do about that. 

Very tragic event. 

• Upvote 1

so sad not enough height  for the parachutes to help.  Crazy that the pilot that hit the roof didnt die hope he recovers  happened so fast  like less than 15 seconds into take off.  Little planes scare me no thanks never planning on getting in one.

11 hours ago, Sharpshooter said:

One pilot deceased. One alive. 

They didn’t eject fast enough for the parachutes to deploy properly and give them a softer landing. 

Tragic. 

They weren't in a high enough altitude in the first place, I mean their height was about a 40 storey building? To have that reaction time to eject and deploy a parachute must have been a split second. Absolute tragedy and I feel for the families involved. Seriously though, theres no way in hell that 40-50 year old planes should be in service. They need to upgrade the snowbirds planes

• Upvote 1

A retired nurse in town was one of the people working on saving the deceased one for quite awhile, she was in the wreckage which suggests she wasnt able to eject. In the words of a witness living near the airport; "The plane did a barrel roll, and shortly after the barrel roll there was a spark and the pilot ejected".