The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Interesting Orca Logo I Stumbled Upon...

Rate this topic

MikeyD

I'm so sick of this discussion. No matter what they do, a bunch of people will complain.

I'm at the point where I'd almost rather they just stick the number on the front of the jersey and not have a logo at all. That way, everyone can shut up and just hate it together.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

I love it.

Exactly what the Canucks need IMO.

Stick with blue and green (sky and land) which represents BC so well, but update the Orca to a more modern, and also more "scary" or intimidating.

Honestly this is something I have envisioned for a while. Thanks for posting.

Not a fan of the yellow and red spaghetti plate. It had it's time in the 80's and should stay in the 80's. 

This debate won’t end until those that were around for the earlier uniforms are all dead (sad but true).   The Orca at least has developed a better uniform around it - the first “scary” one was a good awful mess of black, red and purple garbage.   We weren’t the only teams doing that back then - a lot of others changed things up and went full black because psychologically it was supposed to intimidate.   The irony is we already had that going on with the previous uniforms and our team back then was tough as nails.    

Not sold on the new ones this year either - but I sure loved seeing our players in our black skate ones...and so did they themselves.   Bieksa and Kesler commenting on how they had asked repeatedly to wear them when they were around as did others on that team kind of makes you wonder how the players feel about it too.    I’ve grown to accept it - and would prefer we kept it too (Orca) rather then make another new change.   But would be over the moon if we kept fin - and made the Orca the third jersey...and went back to any of the three before it. 

14 minutes ago, IBatch said:

This debate won’t end until those that were around for the earlier uniforms are all dead (sad but true).   The Orca at least has developed a better uniform around it - the first “scary” one was a good awful mess of black, red and purple garbage.   We weren’t the only teams doing that back then - a lot of others changed things up and went full black because psychologically it was supposed to intimidate.   The irony is we already had that going on with the previous uniforms and our team back then was tough as nails.    

Not sold on the new ones this year either - but I sure loved seeing our players in our black skate ones...and so did they themselves.   Bieksa and Kesler commenting on how they had asked repeatedly to wear them when they were around as did others on that team kind of makes you wonder how the players feel about it too.    I’ve grown to accept it - and would prefer we kept it too (Orca) rather then make another new change.   But would be over the moon if we kept fin - and made the Orca the third jersey...and went back to any of the three before it. 

There are people younger than me who clamour for the skate, and the 94 run happened before I was born. The debate will never end.  I still maintain that the main appeal of the skate logo is nostalgia, and if the Canucks were to go back to it, a decade from now people would be wanting the Orca to return because they remember the 2011 run. . I distinctly remember when they originally brought back the blue and green stick and rink during the West Coast express days everyone was demanding they go to those like they are now with the skate.  The fact is the Canucks have never had a truly good logo. There are fundamental flaws to each of them, people just pick their favourites, so they'll always be divisive. I'm not a fan of the Orca, but I don't ever want to see the colours change, they're perfect. So that couple that with a need for some consistency in their identity and it doesn't really make sense for the Canucks to change again. 

Edited by Bitter Melon

6 hours ago, Bitter Melon said:

There are people younger than me who clamour for the skate, and the 94 run happened before I was born. The debate will never end.  I still maintain that the main appeal of the skate logo is nostalgia, and if the Canucks were to go back to it, a decade from now people would be wanting the Orca to return because they remember the 2011 run. . I distinctly remember when they originally brought back the blue and green stick and rink during the West Coast express days everyone was demanding they go to those like they are now with the skate.  The fact is the Canucks have never had a truly good logo. There are fundamental flaws to each of them, people just pick their favourites, so they'll always be divisive. I'm not a fan of the Orca, but I don't ever want to see the colours change, they're perfect. So that couple that with a need for some consistency in their identity and it doesn't really make sense for the Canucks to change again. 

Note: only the final paragraph is directed directly at your post Bitter Melon. The first two paragraphs are simply in regard to my opinion of the arguments for and against particular logos.

To me saying the Orca logo isn't valid because we're not the Vancouver Orca's is like saying the wheel doesn't belong in the Red Wings logo. It is of course ignored that the SiR is also rendered invalid by that argument as the image doesn't match the team name. The argument to that of course is it represents the sport played. Which isn't actually common around the league with only 4 primary logos containing hockey imagery. 5 if you include the less obvious Orca crashing through the ice but that would validate it as representing the sport so we'll ignore that. Yet there's 15 primary logos that include an element linked to where the team plays from a letter (like C - Calgary, P - Philadelphia) to the full deal (like Florida, Washington), to an image strongly tied to the location (Detroit, Vancouver). For me where the team plays is more important in a logo for identity than what the team plays. And the numbers mentioned back that opinion up.

I was in junior high when the Nucks joined the NHL and hated the SiR from the moment I saw it. To me it was clunky, bland and the most boring logo in the league tied with the Rangers. The V was pure hideousness. The skate was an improvement but only after dumping the yellow jersey for white. But when they unveiled the Orca logo it just screamed Vancouver for me. It reminded me of wandering downtown Vancouver as kid and seeing native art and Orca imagery everywhere from art itself to t-shirts & hats to jewelry and nick-nacks. Those images were everywhere. It made me think of going to the Vancouver Aquarium and the totem poles in Stanley Park that I visited so many times as a kid. My first thought seeing the logo was "now that's Vancouver". That's why I love the Orca logo. It symbolizes where the team plays just as the wheel does in the Red Wings logo. To me there's no image that can truly portray the term Canuck (a Canadian). Which leaves using a C to rep the team name or using the entire word. Using the C in an image that reps the city as the Haida stylized Orca does is perfect in my opinion.

There's two things I absolutely agree with you on. First, fans will never agree on a logo and no matter what it is there will be those vocally lobbying against it in a never ending cycle. Second, if you want a team identity you can't keep changing it. As the current logo is the longest running (considerably longer than any other) it makes sense to stick with it and use the alternate jersey for variety. In the end liking or disliking a logo is purely a matter of personal taste. Everybody has different taste. Then there's those that desire change purely for the sake of change. But that would mean never having an identity at all.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/28/2020 at 4:00 PM, Canuckster86 said:

Even more native than the current logo. Ditch the whale and follow other teams and backtrack to an old well liked jersey setup. Bring back the skate and be done with it

It wouldn't change anything. You'll never get agreement on a logo/uni as everybody has their own favorite. No matter what is used there will be those constantly wanting change to what they like (or something completely new) in a never ending cycle. 

• 1 month later...
On 5/26/2020 at 2:26 PM, CanuckGAME said:

We should just change our logo to this.

Best mock up I've ever seen.

Screenshot_2016-02-13-20-16-47-1.png

Not gonna lie, I kind of dig it. I think it needs a white lining but aside from that it's pretty dope. Would love to see it on a jersey with stitching. 

On 5/21/2020 at 11:16 PM, Baggins said:

C for team name Canuck, Orca image for where the team plays. Calgary - C for where the team plays - flames image for team name. Both cover the same elements just in opposite ways. But you already know and choose to ignore it. There's nothing at all wrong with the Orca logo as it covers both the team name and where it plays. Both valid elements in a sports logo.

This.  I'd like to point out that the most historic, winning-est team in league represents their namesake on their logo in the exact same manner, minus any representation of their city.  Full-bodied Johnny Canuck looks like a minor-league cartoon stuck in the mid 90's. 

Our home and road jerseys have never looked better than they do now.  I hope they never change again and I hope we win a Stanley Cup in them so this discussion can die for good.

Edited by morgo
  • Thanks 1
  • Wat 1

On 6/30/2020 at 3:15 PM, morgo said:

I hope they never change again and I hope we win a Stanley Cup in them so this discussion can die for good.

All the better for the Canucks to never to win a Cup for as long as the corporately-inspired and constipated Orca is around. 

• Haha 1

On 5/18/2020 at 11:50 AM, deus.ex.makina said:

the best orca logo is the one where is no orca at all on it.

or the farest i can go is an orca on a golden skate.

with no orca on it. 

They really should make the skate jersey as their regular uniform. I feel like that was the jersey worn during the franchise defining years and feels like it represents the Canucks better than Orca or the stick jersey (the ones worn now or during the inception years). And the modernized colors make the jersey look even fashionable with nice color contrasting.

I believe the Orcas were brought in during McCaw era, their company was named Orca sports and entertainment. I think it's time to move on from the orcas just like we did with McCaw.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Tiger-Hearted said:

I'm a Canucks fan, not an Orca lover. Big difference.

A real fan wouldn't root against his team winning a championship just because he doesn't like the particular logo they're using.  If the team went with Johnny Canuck tomorrow, would I be disappointed?  Sure.  Would I root against them ever winning a championship in that logo?  Absolutely not.  I would want them winning a championship no matter they used for a logo.