The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Mikkel Boedker signs with HC Lugano (Switzerland)

Baer should walk from his current contract and do this. One or two healthy years in Sweden or Switzerland  and he can come back for one more decent NHL contract. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill

14 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Baer should walk from his current contract and do this. One or two healthy years in Sweden or Switzerland  and he can come back for one more decent NHL contract. 

Seems better off to get the Canucks to buy him out or trade him.  Boedker is UFA.  Baertschi's agent said he has no intention to leave North America - he doesn't even return to Switzerland in the off-season.  

Edited by mll

16 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

He does have 3.3 million reasons not to.

The Euro leagues pays decent money, but not close to what he will be currently getting.  

Just now, mll said:

Seems better off to get the Canucks to buy him out or trade him.  Boedker is UFA.  Baertschi's agent said he has no intention to leave North America - he doesn't even return to Switzerland in the off-season.  

sure but Baer also said he's 'done with the AHL'. I think the Canucks have exhausted all the efforts to move him. They're not going to give up assets of any significance to find him a new home. 

He'd probably make 1/2 his current salary in Europe and could probably come back to a decent number of NHL offers after that. He's already made 6+mil from his deal. If it were me I'd want to be free from the Canucks situation and start clean. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

He does have 3.3 million reasons not to.

The Euro leagues pays decent money, but not close to what he will be currently getting.  

Maybe. He sounds pretty done with the AHL tho. I just don't see him being traded, I think teams want assets out of Benning and he's not going to do it. 

25 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

sure but Baer also said he's 'done with the AHL'. I think the Canucks have exhausted all the efforts to move him. They're not going to give up assets of any significance to find him a new home. 

He'd probably make 1/2 his current salary in Europe and could probably come back to a decent number of NHL offers after that. He's already made 6+mil from his deal. If it were me I'd want to be free from the Canucks situation and start clean. 

AHL or Europe same thing.  He wants the NHL and if he can't then the AHL is the next best thing as it allows him to stay in North America.

Depends the importance Benning puts on cap space for next season.  

Edited by mll

8 minutes ago, mll said:

AHL or Europe same thing.  He wants the NHL and if he can't then the AHL is the next best thing as it allows him to stay in North America.

Depends the importance Benning puts on cap space for next season.  

and thats the lever other GMs are going to apply. My guess is the ask in assets is just too high and I don't see why that would change. 

6 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

and thats the lever other GMs are going to apply. My guess is the ask in assets is just too high and I don't see why that would change. 

So buyout likely.  Benning felt he'd have more opportunity to make a deal in the summer - that was at the TDL before the season was suspended though.

3 minutes ago, mll said:

So buyout likely.  Benning felt he'd have more opportunity to make a deal in the summer - that was at the TDL before the season was suspended though.

could be. It only saves just under 600k but that cap room might be needed. It would be a good thing to do to set Sven free, but there may not be much appetite to tell Aqulini more of his money is going to players not actually playing for him. 

But, putting Loui in Utica and buying out Sven would create 2.7 mil in cap space. So maybe as part of a larger strategy it makes sense. 

• Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

A shame how his career spiraled downward after his 51-point campaign in 2013-14.

I thought he was going to be a regular 50 point player after that.

Best of luck to him overseas.

Another Canuck that had his career derailed by a dirty play and the league just turned a blind eye he should sue the bastards!

4 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

If he had made a lot of money in his career that would be reasonable.

This is probably his last big earning year so represents almost 1/4 of his career earnings.  He has to be practical as the money has to last him a lifetime of making regular person money going forward.

A totally different set of circumstances than a guy like Eriksson who has $50 million in career earnings.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Provost said:

If he had made a lot of money in his career that would be reasonable.

This is probably his last big earning year so represents almost 1/4 of his career earnings.  He has to be practical as the money has to last him a lifetime of making regular person money going forward.

A totally different set of circumstances than a guy like Eriksson who has $50 million in career earnings.

I guess I'm a little down on this whole thing, I didn't like the contract to begin with. But he's still young enough to earn some decent cash, but I dont see his chances getting any better sitting in Utica for another year. If he walks away now, ends up in Europe for a few months in to next season he could conceivably end up on a playoff contender as a cheap pickup. I don't see Benning giving away anything to trade him. 

21 hours ago, Master Mind said:

A shame how his career spiraled downward after his 51-point campaign in 2013-14.

I thought he was going to be a regular 50 point player after that.

Best of luck to him overseas.

The rare case of a player leaving the Coyotes and getting worse.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Monty said:

The rare case of a player leaving the Coyotes and getting worse.

Vrbata was like that too, besides with the Sedins that one year and some success in Colorado and Chicago way back when, in his later years he kept circling back to Arizona.  Wonder if Boedker's wheels figuratively fell off, leading to his decline?  

Also interesting that people jumped straight to talking about Baertschi in this post

19 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

Also interesting that people jumped straight to talking about Baertschi in this post

That was the least surprising thing to me. 

*Post about any player in the NHL not on the Canucks*

CDC Response (pick any of the below):

1. Baertschi buyout/etc

2. Luongo cap recapture penalty

3. Arguing Juolevi was still the the right pick

4. Myers contract is not bad

• Upvote 1