The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Weekly polling

Rate this topic

Best wrist shot  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Pound for pound which forward has the best wrister on the team ? Consider all aspects of an NHL caliber shot in making your selection

2. 2. Which player mentioned below has the best defensive game on the team? Consider all relevant defensive details in making your selection.

• EP40
    • BB6
    • JTM9
    • BH53
    • AG88
    • JV18
    • ZM71
    • TT73
    • TM64

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/28/2020 at 01:31 AM

I voted Petey, even though when healthy Brock's has more power behind it because Petey can pick the corner so well. But both players can stand within full sight of the goalie and beat them clean, which is so fun to watch. 

BB's wrister is the heaviest on the team (when healthy). I doubt Petey would have the same power in his wrister even if he was 200lbs, but it's more accurate and he gets it off a lot faster.

Brock takes ages to shoot. Hard to watch sometimes

• Cheers 1

Something worth mentioning - Brock had this cute little tuck towards his heel before releasing in his rookie season but seemed to abandon that movement last season, maybe hoping to shoot faster. 

Problem is, his release isnt really much faster and his shot is less deceptive without the tuck.

Catch22 I suppose

Hard to say who has the “best wrister” on the team. Are we talking strictly velocity? Or accurately/shooting percentage? Mechanics? The speed/quickness of actually getting the shot away? The pure “sweetness” of the release? 

I suspect Boeser has the best pure wrister on the team (and he also tops out on shooting percentage and shot velocity). After him, there are a number of guys who have quality shots, and probably every name on the poll deserves some consideration. Sutter probably also deserves to be on the poll, given the quality of his wrister (which is actually high end). And even a guy like Motte has a really heavy shot, when he gets the chance to use it. Horvat is often cited by his teammates for having one of the heavier shots on the team (but he’s also one of the heavier guys). Virtanen is capable of unleashing one of the team’s most lethal wristers, although his shot selection often takes away from its effectiveness (and he’s also one of the heavier guys).

One could go on and on.

Considering “pound for pound,” I had to go with Pettersson. 

Maybe Gaudette is also in the mix, given that he’s right around the same weight as Petey, but also has a wicked shot (as @Googlie notes above).

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Thanks 1

I tend to believe quickness is a big a factor as "heavy" What often fools goalies is how quick a player gets the puck off his stick. Virtanen is a good example he takes too long to make the  shot, it might be heavy but it's also too often in the goalies glove :lol:

6 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

One could go on and on.

You sure didB).

For me it was based on results, cannot think of a time Motte or Sutter wowed me with a snipe goal but Boeser on the other hand...

Edited by Tre Mac
  • Haha 1

Hardest? Jake’s is pretty hard. But to not say Petey seems wrong. Boeser’s shot is deadly though. Tough call. Hughes has a wicked wrister too. Dang, we got some great shooters on the team. Hoglander comin’ too. Uh oh for the rest of the league when we got gunners like this on the team :ph34r:

43 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

You sure didB).

For me it was based on results, cannot think of a time Motte or Sutter wowed me with a snipe goal but Boeser on the other hand...

:lol:

Yeah, kinda went “on and on” there, although I’m sure for every person that thought I wrote too much, there’s probably another who was disappointed that I didn’t write something about every player on the team. ;) 

These types of questions are kinda my kryptonite. Just too many ways to look at the topic. I have to really force myself not to try to go down a rabbit hole that ends in me writing an essay. 

Never mind the whole “pound for pound” thing. I mean, it’s clearly not linear between weight and shot mph. You just have to look at the numbers some kids clock at hockey camps (I’ve heard of 50 lb mites hitting 25+ mph). Obviously those kids aren’t shooting better than Chara, even if “pound for pound” they are shooting the equivalent of 125+ mph.

Anyway, that’s another rabbit hole. 

TL;DR: Boeser has the best wrister. And Petey the best “pound for pound.” :P

• Cheers 1