bpow

Canucks vs Wild - Proposed playoff format

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

On 5/27/2020 at 11:38 PM, kenhodgejr said:

Anything can happen in the playoffs. But from a historical perspective I don't want the first cup this team wins in ages to be on a year like this. I would honestly rather we loose the first round and get a top 3 draft pick. Then win the cup next season when guys like Podkolzin and Hoglander might make an appearance 

A cup is a cup and winning it this year is going to be harder . Do you think the players wont want to win.????

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Listened and watched Bettman and Daly answered questions regarding return to play.

 

Bettman mentioned that the TV experience that the league is organizing will be a unique, never before seen experience because the stands will be empty allowing for cameras to be positioned closer and at different view points...the viewing will be closer and at different viewing angles which will make for a better tv viewing experience.

  • Hydration 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Pete M said:

Listened and watched Bettman and Daly answered questions regarding return to play.

 

Bettman mentioned that the TV experience that the league is organizing will be a unique, never before seen experience because the stands will be empty allowing for cameras to be positioned closer and at different view points...the viewing will be closer and at different viewing angles which will make for a better tv viewing experience.

That could be pretty cool.  Should be interesting to see what they come up with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thought it would be interesting to start some conversation on this. I know its far away but i am very excited. 

 

Vancouver Canucks Line up:                                                               Min Wild Line up:

 

Pearson Horvat Boeser                                                                       Greenway Staal Fiala
Miller Pettersson Toffoli                                                                       Parise Eriksson EK Kunin
Ferland Gaudette Virtanen                                                                  Foligno Galchenyuk Zuccarello
Roussel Sutter Motte                                                                           Donato Koivu Hartman                                                                       
Macewen Eriksson Baertschi                                                              Sturm 

 

Hughes Tanev                                                                                     Suter Spurgeon
Edler Stecher                                                                                      Brodin Dumba
Fantenberg Myers                                                                               Hunt Pateryn 
Rafferty                                                                                                Soucy 

 

Markstrom                                                                                           Dubnyk???
Demko                                                                                                 Stalock 
Louis Domingue                                                                                  Kähkönen
Michael DiPietro                                                                                  Robson
Eddie Lack???   

                                                  

Notes:

Note 1- The Staal line will likely be matched up against the Pettersson line. Greenway will look to take Pettersson and Toffoli off of their game and open up room for Fiala who has been hot. JT Miller will be key on that line to stand up for his two teammates. 

Note 2- Horvat's line will likely be against Koivu's line. Hartman will focus on getting boeser off of his game (Canucks fans are gonna hate this guy) Donato and Koivu are very good two way players. I don't think Horvat's line will be kept off the score board but it will be a big fight. 

Note 3- The Gaudette line is likely going to be key in the series. Ferland and Virtanen are going to bring a lot of energy to the game and likely keep the Parise line of the score sheet. 

Note 4- our one weak point will likely be our 4th line. Motte will bring energy and Roussel and Foligno are going to piss eachother off big time. I feel like the Foligno line will have the advantage though. 

Note 5- Defense a whole I would say that Min has the edge. Suter and Dumba are made for playoff hockey. Edler has shown in the past that he can be great in big games or he can disappear. Myers will be a big body but will he have the intensity needed to be a factor in the playoffs? can Hughes continue his amazing play? we will see.  

Note 6- Vancouver has the advantage in goal. Luckily Markstrom is healed and ready to play. Dubnyk their starting goalie has claimed that he is  undecided if he will play because of covid 19. Without Dubnyk they will have to rely on Stalock or the youngster Kähkönen. As an aside the NHl reccomends bringing multiple goalies. Eddie Lack sent the owner of the Canucks a tweet saying he is ready... honestly why not? He is best friends with Markstrom, Beloved by the fans and would be a veteran presences. 

 

Power play unit

PP1 Van:                                                                                            PP1 Min:
Toffoli Horvat Pettersson                                                                    Parise Staal Fiala
Miller Hughes                                                                                     Spurgeon Suter

 

PP2 Van:                                                                                            PP2 Min: 
Pearson Gaudette Boeser                                                                 Kunin Galchenyuk Zuccarello
Virtanen Myers                                                                                   Hunt Dumba

 

Notes: When it comes to the power play Vancouver Seems to have the edge. Vancouver PP1 blows Mins PP1 out of the water skill wise. The 2nd PP unit is close but I would still give the advantage to the Canucks. Vancouver will have to be aware of big shots coming from the blue line. However it doesn't seem like Min puts a big body in front of the net during power plays which has killed the Canucks in the past. Hopefully Min doesn't pick up on this and put Greenway in front of the net. 

 

excited to start some discussions. 

 

 

 

  • Thanks 1
  • Hydration 1
  • Vintage 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's no salary cap, roster size is expanded, and the AHL season is over. I wonder if Baer gets into the lineup of we need more offense.

 

Didn't Baer and Gaud do good together?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder if some of this will be played without Bo? their baby is due right around when this series starts. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Nicklas Bo Hunter said:

Thought it would be interesting to start some conversation on this. I know its far away but i am very excited. 

 

Vancouver Canucks Line up:                                                               Min Wild Line up:

 

Pearson Horvat Boeser                                                                       Greenway Staal Fiala
Miller Pettersson Toffoli                                                                       Parise Eriksson EK Kunin
Ferland Gaudette Virtanen                                                                  Foligno Galchenyuk Zuccarello
Roussel Sutter Motte                                                                           Donato Koivu Hartman                                                                       
Macewen Eriksson Baertschi                                                              Sturm 

 

Hughes Tanev                                                                                     Suter Spurgeon
Edler Stecher                                                                                      Brodin Dumba
Fantenberg Myers                                                                               Hunt Pateryn 
Rafferty                                                                                                Soucy 

 

Markstrom                                                                                           Dubnyk???
Demko                                                                                                 Stalock 
Louis Domingue                                                                                  Kähkönen
Michael DiPietro                                                                                  Robson
Eddie Lack???   

                                                  

Notes:

Note 1- The Staal line will likely be matched up against the Pettersson line. Greenway will look to take Pettersson and Toffoli off of their game and open up room for Fiala who has been hot. JT Miller will be key on that line to stand up for his two teammates. 

Note 2- Horvat's line will likely be against Koivu's line. Hartman will focus on getting boeser off of his game (Canucks fans are gonna hate this guy) Donato and Koivu are very good two way players. I don't think Horvat's line will be kept off the score board but it will be a big fight. 

Note 3- The Gaudette line is likely going to be key in the series. Ferland and Virtanen are going to bring a lot of energy to the game and likely keep the Parise line of the score sheet. 

Note 4- our one weak point will likely be our 4th line. Motte will bring energy and Roussel and Foligno are going to piss eachother off big time. I feel like the Foligno line will have the advantage though. 

Note 5- Defense a whole I would say that Min has the edge. Suter and Dumba are made for playoff hockey. Edler has shown in the past that he can be great in big games or he can disappear. Myers will be a big body but will he have the intensity needed to be a factor in the playoffs? can Hughes continue his amazing play? we will see.  

Note 6- Vancouver has the advantage in goal. Luckily Markstrom is healed and ready to play. Dubnyk their starting goalie has claimed that he is  undecided if he will play because of covid 19. Without Dubnyk they will have to rely on Stalock or the youngster Kähkönen. As an aside the NHl reccomends bringing multiple goalies. Eddie Lack sent the owner of the Canucks a tweet saying he is ready... honestly why not? He is best friends with Markstrom, Beloved by the fans and would be a veteran presences. 

 

Power play unit

PP1 Van:                                                                                            PP1 Min:
Toffoli Horvat Pettersson                                                                    Parise Staal Fiala
Miller Hughes                                                                                     Spurgeon Suter

 

PP2 Van:                                                                                            PP2 Min: 
Pearson Gaudette Boeser                                                                 Kunin Galchenyuk Zuccarello
Virtanen Myers                                                                                   Hunt Dumba

 

Notes: When it comes to the power play Vancouver Seems to have the edge. Vancouver PP1 blows Mins PP1 out of the water skill wise. The 2nd PP unit is close but I would still give the advantage to the Canucks. Vancouver will have to be aware of big shots coming from the blue line. However it doesn't seem like Min puts a big body in front of the net during power plays which has killed the Canucks in the past. Hopefully Min doesn't pick up on this and put Greenway in front of the net. 

 

excited to start some discussions. 

 

 

 

Beagle?  I doubt AG gets much time in the lineup in a playoff series at this point.  Sutter will centre the third line and Beagle the 4th.  If Ferland or Leivo is able to get back, AG is watching from the pressbox.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, stawns said:

Beagle?  I doubt AG gets much time in the lineup in a playoff series at this point.  Sutter will centre the third line and Beagle the 4th.  If Ferland or Leivo is able to get back, AG is watching from the pressbox.

wow honestly forgot about beagle... my bad. I like that we have some good depth playing 5 playoff rounds. 

  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Nicklas Bo Hunter said:

Thought it would be interesting to start some conversation on this. I know its far away but i am very excited. 

 

Vancouver Canucks Line up:                                                               Min Wild Line up:

 

Pearson Horvat Boeser                                                                       Greenway Staal Fiala
Miller Pettersson Toffoli                                                                       Parise Eriksson EK Kunin
Ferland Gaudette Virtanen                                                                  Foligno Galchenyuk Zuccarello
Roussel Sutter Motte                                                                           Donato Koivu Hartman                                                                       
Macewen Eriksson Baertschi                                                              Sturm 

 

Hughes Tanev                                                                                     Suter Spurgeon
Edler Stecher                                                                                      Brodin Dumba
Fantenberg Myers                                                                               Hunt Pateryn 
Rafferty                                                                                                Soucy 

 

Markstrom                                                                                           Dubnyk???
Demko                                                                                                 Stalock 
Louis Domingue                                                                                  Kähkönen
Michael DiPietro                                                                                  Robson
Eddie Lack???   

                                                  

Notes:

Note 1- The Staal line will likely be matched up against the Pettersson line. Greenway will look to take Pettersson and Toffoli off of their game and open up room for Fiala who has been hot. JT Miller will be key on that line to stand up for his two teammates. 

Note 2- Horvat's line will likely be against Koivu's line. Hartman will focus on getting boeser off of his game (Canucks fans are gonna hate this guy) Donato and Koivu are very good two way players. I don't think Horvat's line will be kept off the score board but it will be a big fight. 

Note 3- The Gaudette line is likely going to be key in the series. Ferland and Virtanen are going to bring a lot of energy to the game and likely keep the Parise line of the score sheet. 

Note 4- our one weak point will likely be our 4th line. Motte will bring energy and Roussel and Foligno are going to piss eachother off big time. I feel like the Foligno line will have the advantage though. 

Note 5- Defense a whole I would say that Min has the edge. Suter and Dumba are made for playoff hockey. Edler has shown in the past that he can be great in big games or he can disappear. Myers will be a big body but will he have the intensity needed to be a factor in the playoffs? can Hughes continue his amazing play? we will see.  

Note 6- Vancouver has the advantage in goal. Luckily Markstrom is healed and ready to play. Dubnyk their starting goalie has claimed that he is  undecided if he will play because of covid 19. Without Dubnyk they will have to rely on Stalock or the youngster Kähkönen. As an aside the NHl reccomends bringing multiple goalies. Eddie Lack sent the owner of the Canucks a tweet saying he is ready... honestly why not? He is best friends with Markstrom, Beloved by the fans and would be a veteran presences. 

 

 

 

Notes: When it comes to the power play Vancouver Seems to have the edge. Vancouver PP1 blows Mins PP1 out of the water skill wise. The 2nd PP unit is close but I would still give the advantage to the Canucks. Vancouver will have to be aware of big shots coming from the blue line. However it doesn't seem like Min puts a big body in front of the net during power plays which has killed the Canucks in the past. Hopefully Min doesn't pick up on this and put Greenway in front of the net. 

 

excited to start some discussions. 

 

 

 


Re the notes.  

 

1.   The Canucks led the league in goals scored off the cycle but it left them open to counter attacks.  The Canucks allowed the 2nd most rush scoring chances against this season (while generating the least) according to Sportloqiq' video tracking.  Not sure Green would want Pettersson against Fiala.  Staal and Greenway are among the best at winning puck battles (per Sportlogiq' tracking) and Fiala has the skills to capitalise on rush chances.

 

See more Green trying to get Pettersson out against the Galchenyuk line (their weakest) but the Wild will look to have him play against ErikssonEk.  He's their shutdown C and a real pain to play against but isn't as much as an offensive threat.   

 

2.  Don't see Green wanting to waste Horvat against Koivu.  Evason won't look for that matchup either.  Their 4th line tries and score on the weaker lines.  Would think it will be one of the bottom-6 lines playing against Koivu.  Donato is not really a two-way player.  That's why he's on the 4th line and not playing higher in the lineup.  His defensive game needs work and he's weak along the boards. 

 

Horvat seems more likely the one tasked to shutdown Staal-Fiala. 

 

3.  ErikssonEk's line is their main shutdown line.  The Wild are going to try and get him playing against Pettersson.  Parise could move up to play with Staal-Fiala and re-unite the GEEK Squad (Greenway-ErikssonEk-Kunin) to shutdown Pettersson.   

 

4.  Their 4th line of Donato Koivu Hartman has been very good once put together and has also won them games - small sample though.  Donato has scored 14 EV goals in just 10:30 of ice time.  Green might prefer playing Beagle against them than Gaudette.  

 

The Galchenyuk line hasn't produced all that much and is their weakest defensively - might be more suited for a line that needs to be sheltered.   It could change though if Zuccarello looks more like the guy they hoped to get.  He was terrific in the playoffs for Dallas but has been a bit of a disappointment for the Wild.

 

5.  The Wild have one if not the best D-corps in the league.  Advanced stats and tracking shows them as elite defensively but let down by below average goaltending.  Canucks are the opposite - towards the bottom defensively but stellar goaltending in Markstrom.  Dumba has struggled a fair bit but was playing better when the season paused - he lost his shot.  The break might have allowed him to reset though.  Brodin was particularly impressive this season. Playing for parts with Soucy instead of Dumba showed more offence.  

 

6.  When did Dubnyk say he was undecided.  Only saw him being candid about the number of items that still need clarity before going to a vote to all the players.  There are a lot of safety concerns not just for themselves but also staff and their families and some players have medical conditions to consider.  He's also not their starting goalie anymore.  Stalock took over the starter job.  They'll decide in camp who gets the net and Kahkonen is also in the mix per Evason.  

 

The Wild's PP has looked more dangerous once Fiala made his way to the 1st unit.   Initially Boudreau just used their top 2 lines for the PP.  Zucker-Staal-Zuccarello and Parise-Koivu-Fiala.  Zucker has been traded and Koivu is not even on the PP anymore and is now C4.

 

As for the pairings Soucy won't be the extra D.  The last D spot is between Hunt or Pateryn.  With the Wild seeing the Canucks as a physical team could see them more leaning towards Pateryn than Hunt.  Pateryn can also kill penalties unlike Hunt. 

 

  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One interesting thing I noticed with regards to goaltending for both teams is that their presumed starter , Alex Stalock, appears to be at his best on 4+ days of rest while Markstrom seems to perform best on 1 day of rest. Given the play-in/off format you would think this is in Markstrom's benefit as the majority of games will be on 1 day or at least <4 days rest. 

Of the 31 goalies that started > 32 games Markstrom was #1 in save% in starts after exactly 1 day rest (.938 in 18 games ; .910 being the median of the 31 goalies).

Stalock was 19th (.908 in 19 starts).

 

 

Edited by BlastPast

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If the Canucks lose that means 5 losing capped out years in a row doesn't it? This round is a anomaly isn't it? I wonder if jobs are at stake yet.

 

Isn't the draft pick traded an option if the Canucks don't make it, this year or next?

 

With the draft using the alphabet instead of team names, until the play in round is over, will it influence some teams to bow out? If team B, D and G get 1rst, 2nd or 3rd will some teams just not "be up for the game"? Lot's of legit excuses for some teams to build for the future without the desperate need of making the playoffs like the Canucks have to. What a reward, lose 3 games and maybe get the #1, 2 or 3 pick and set up the team for a decade or longer, it has to be tempting. It is a situation now where a player or two for whatever reason see's sitting out as a benefit to his career or an enhanced chance to win a cup next year.

Edited by Lazurus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lazurus said:

If the Canucks lose that means 5 losing capped out years in a row doesn't it? This round is a anomaly isn't it? I wonder if jobs are at stake yet.

 

Isn't the draft pick traded an option if the Canucks don't make it, this year or next?

 

With the draft using the alphabet instead of team names, until the play in round is over, will it influence some teams to bow out? If team B, D and G get 1rst, 2nd or 3rd will some teams just not "be up for the game"? Lot's of legit excuses for some teams to build for the future without the desperate need of making the playoffs like the Canucks have to. What a reward, lose 3 games and maybe get the #1, 2 or 3 pick and set up the team for a decade or longer, it has to be tempting. It is a situation now where a player or two for whatever reason see's sitting out as a benefit to his career or an enhanced chance to win a cup next year.

quick, can we sign Lou Angotti as associate coach 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not sure if this has been explained in this thread.

 

If we have the same winning percentage as Nashville and one more regulation win, why are they seeded ahead of us?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

I'm not sure if this has been explained in this thread.

 

If we have the same winning percentage as Nashville and one more regulation win, why are they seeded ahead of us?

Canucks have 1 more win but 1 less in regulation.  The tie breaker is regulation wins i.e. excluding OT and shootout wins.  28 for Nashville to 27 for Vancouver.  

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.