The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks vs Wild - Proposed playoff format

Rate this topic

bpow

7 minutes ago, Pears said:

That’s the thing, we don’t know if they were gonna make it or not. In the west Chicago was 6 points out with 12 games to go, they could’ve easily made up that ground if they got hot. I agree about Montreal though they would’ve had to almost go undefeated to have a real shot. 

6 points is not easy that time of the year when every team you’re chasing is playing each other.

Of course they could have made it but my point is Edmonton was all but guaranteed to make it, yet they might get bounced before playoffs even begin.

My preference would be to have the teams in the wild card positions battle it out with those lower teams for those spots.

If this is what they decide I’ll be okay with it though. I would just be happy that hockey’s back regardless.

38 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I don’t mind it I just don’t like how they’re giving more byes to the East.

Should be divisional IMO.

Edmonton and Pittsburgh shouldn’t have to play in against teams that weren’t gonna make it.

What? 

Edited by Maketherightmove

1 minute ago, Lazurus said:

It's hockey, the Canucks get gifted their playoff spot.

Plan the parade!

24 teams eh?, Points percentage. Not everyone will be happy no matter what.

But this is, hopefully, a single season anomaly.

Minnesota has had the Canucks number the last two games but in a three out of five with no SO, who knows.

For the Canucks, with 12 teams making it, the points percentage doesn't matter, they would still be playing Minnesota but I do see it being unfair to some teams just because the schedule maker compressed some games.

Calgary goes from playing Arizona to Winnipeg and Edmonton has to play in, IF this is the way they do it.

All that seems to be certain is that 24 teams are still playing. It could be that other than the top four the rest are not in the playoffs but just playing for a spot. That would alter some bonuses and other contract obligations.

Maybe if there are just two hubs they all play a 5 game round robin to finalize positions with the bottom eight, total seasonal points, being eliminated, WHO KNOWS?

It makes a difference whether this is called playoffs because the Canucks are currently over the cap by millions

No cap counting / limit for the rest of the season apparently per information received by CapFriendly.  They'll likely just freeze the end of season cap space at the date where they suspended the season.  

Teams will most likely not be allowed to add players on their reserve list though.  Unlike previous years NCAA players and those from abroad can't have their contracts start this season.  Montreal for example won't be able to add Romanov or St Louis Perunovich.  

Hard to gauge how we’d do against the Wild.

Seems like we always end up playing them after a long Eastern trip and are tired.

Plus the Excel Energy Center is a tough place to play, but that won’t be a factor.

Would be nice for someone to take care of that punk Foligno though.

1 hour ago, mll said:

I don't understand what you mean.  

All of the 'stats' chosen there are picked stats.

Just like, if you exclude our crappy games, we're one of the best teams in the league. It's meaningless, accurate, but meaningless.

If you include the Wild's slow start, they're a middling team below us. If you exclude our 'falters' in February, we're miles ahead of them. Barring that, our special teams performance is better than theirs, so excluding our PP goals (and SHG interestingly) and saying 'only 5v5' goals is very baseball stat, picking one thing arbitrarily. So there's a date 'cut' AND a circumstance 'cut' for arbitrary reasons to push a point. Baseball does that sort of thing, like: "Joe Batter has a .278 Batting average against right handed pitchers in the month of June when playing in a southern state and the sunflower seeds are unsalted."

That said, all the stats are pretty pointless at this stage anyway, it's been 2 months since they played, it's like players who finished in June starting camp back in August. The probable truth is that cold starting teams/players are likely going to be in trouble, and the hot starters that fizzle in "December/January" really only have 2 months to get through once it starts back up, so probably should be the favourites.

• Upvote 1

After two months off it is basically a new season.

Hard to draw any conclusions from regular season.

The good news is the Canucks have started off the last couple of seasons well, hot start on the restart gets you a couple rounds in.

• Cheers 1

Yeah I wouldn't sleep on the Wild. They're stingy and play you hard.

It might be a little off the board but my preferred matchup would have been against the Preds. We matched up well against them throughout the season and they played much softer than teams like the Flames, the Yotes and, the Wild. I'm just happy we're not playing the Oilers. I know they're easy to sh!t on in Nuckland, but with them playing under the Tippett's system and having both McDavid AND Draisaitl, they'll be a huge threat down the line. 

I still like the Wild matchup (for the most part) though. 

Edited by Herberts Vasiljevs

29 minutes ago, Mackcanuck said:

Question??

If the Canucks lose to Minny in the play downs,

Is their 2020 draft pick a lottery pick??

spacer.png

Impossible question to answer right now since there’s been no indication from the league regarding what’s happening with the draft 

I think folks are jumping on this a little too fast as a done deal.

The players are apparently insisting on some sort of "warm up" games before heading into the crazy playoff type action.  Presumably there would be points/winning percentage adjustments based on the outcomes of those games to make them mean something and not just be exhibition games.  Even playing 3-4 "regular season" games before the play in round could dramatically change the match ups based on new points percentage.

That also makes the playoff product better as any team that makes it to the final 16 would have played between 6-8 games before the 1st round of the playoffs and no one would have too much of an advantage with being rusty or not.

27 minutes ago, 250Integra said:

The "bye" teams will be sitting around for another 2 weeks basically. Might work out nicely for the teams that are in the "play-in" round as they would have 3-5 games of NHL action to get their legs back.

The idea was that the "bye" teams would play a round robin amongst themselves to determine final seeding.

3 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Can’t see GMs agreeing to this.

How is it fair that a team like Edmonton who was second in the division has to play in against Chicago who was unlikely to make it?

Dont like it, I’d rather they have the top 3 from each division get a bye, And then have the other 12 have to play in.

Sounds good at first blush, but the math is messy to figure out the other 4 teams who get in.

12 teams play against each other for 6 winners, then those six have series against each other to whittle down to 3 winners when you need 4.

You have to do some new formats to make it work.  It is just cleaner to have 16 teams turn into 8 with one series each.  Familiar, and no real complications.

I can't see them really adding complexity.   The only other solution is to have each team (including the top ones) play a handful of games and just pick the top 16 based on points percentage including what they left off with in the regular season.  Same tiebreakers and seeding as normal playoffs.  It has to be enough games that a team doesn't get screwed by just happening to play all against a top team while another one gets in because they had to play lower competition.  At least this way doesn't completely throw out the regular season for teams that don't get the bye.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, brownky said:

All of the 'stats' chosen there are picked stats.

Just like, if you exclude our crappy games, we're one of the best teams in the league. It's meaningless, accurate, but meaningless.

If you include the Wild's slow start, they're a middling team below us. If you exclude our 'falters' in February, we're miles ahead of them. Barring that, our special teams performance is better than theirs, so excluding our PP goals (and SHG interestingly) and saying 'only 5v5' goals is very baseball stat, picking one thing arbitrarily. So there's a date 'cut' AND a circumstance 'cut' for arbitrary reasons to push a point. Baseball does that sort of thing, like: "Joe Batter has a .278 Batting average against right handed pitchers in the month of June when playing in a southern state and the sunflower seeds are unsalted."

That said, all the stats are pretty pointless at this stage anyway, it's been 2 months since they played, it's like players who finished in June starting camp back in August. The probable truth is that cold starting teams/players are likely going to be in trouble, and the hot starters that fizzle in "December/January" really only have 2 months to get through once it starts back up, so probably should be the favourites.

Fwiw former head coach Paul MacLean (now assistant with Columbus) had an article up earlier this season calling October the month of loosey goosey hockey.  Players tend to be more relaxed in playing defence and are more focused on scoring to feel good about their start and build their confidence according to him.  As the season goes along he claims that's when you can start having a better indication of the team.  Systems come in place, defence is tightened up and chemistry builds.  He talks about how at training camp you hardly play your 23 player roster together before the very end, because you are also trying to get a look at potential call-ups and trying to make decisions for the best of the organisation and not just the main team. He described the first few weeks of the season as hectic.   He thinks that around end of November gives enough time for the coaches to get their message across and that scoring goes down as teams tighten up defensively.  If the team is still struggling defensively then there's reason for concern.  

The Wild were a bit of a mess to start the year.  They had bad stretches later in the season but October was at a different level.  Just so much on the road and no opportunity to practice and build lines.  Fenton had also dramatically shaken up their roster last TDL and he was dictating lines/ice time to Boudreau to finish the prior season.  Boudreau didn't have the opportunity to build the lines he wanted then and there was a fair bit of mending to do in the room.  Fenton got rid of 3 guys that were favourites in the room and replaced them with guys who initially looked like downgrades.  Even Boudreau was openly admitting that he was underwhelmed by the Granlund trade.  Stalock also made the interesting comment that their vets were also top players on their teams (slowing down but still former top scorers) and it's more challenging for a young guy there to come in and say give me the puck.  The Canucks are most likely not going to be playing that October team but the one that say they became family.  

Most of those advanced stats use 5v5 scoring in evaluating teams/players.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

The Wild were on a huge roll when the season shut down. They won't be a cakewalk. Can picture this one going back and forth. 

Miller/Petey

Bo

Sutter

Beagle

Thats some serious C depth if everyone's healthy. Minni counters with:

Staal

Erikson Ek

and..... ?

we should dominate on the dot. I see no way for Minni to dominate us physically either. Maybe Greenway but Nurse tuned him up so I'm not all that concerned. 

5 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Funny thing is, this might be the 1st time all year that the entire Canucks group  is healthy. We're deeper than Minni in every category so I'd much rather see this matchup than Winnipeg. 

Leivo still out but yeah.  Let’s say 99% healthy.

Cant wait To see boeser and toffoli !

Edited by sassbs

3 hours ago, Lazurus said:

It's hockey, the Canucks get gifted their playoff spot.

Plan the parade!

24 teams eh?, Points percentage. Not everyone will be happy no matter what.

But this is, hopefully, a single season anomaly.

Minnesota has had the Canucks number the last two games but in a three out of five with no SO, who knows.

For the Canucks, with 12 teams making it, the points percentage doesn't matter, they would still be playing Minnesota but I do see it being unfair to some teams just because the schedule maker compressed some games.

Calgary goes from playing Arizona to Winnipeg and Edmonton has to play in, IF this is the way they do it.

All that seems to be certain is that 24 teams are still playing. It could be that other than the top four the rest are not in the playoffs but just playing for a spot. That would alter some bonuses and other contract obligations.

Maybe if there are just two hubs they all play a 5 game round robin to finalize positions with the bottom eight, total seasonal points, being eliminated, WHO KNOWS?

It makes a difference whether this is called playoffs because the Canucks are currently over the cap by millions

how so?  They were in a playoff spot when they hit pause.

• Thanks 2