The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks vs Wild - Proposed playoff format

Rate this topic

bpow

16 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Just as an aside here, man what a terrific player and example Koivu has been for the Wild. 

I have a lot of respect for him as a player. He could have played in any era due to his Canadian-style game. What a beauty.

He has been everything to that team that Horvat projects to be in Vancouver, if not more. Too bad his teams were in cap hell or crippled for most of his tenure. There always seemed to be some kind of disaster and their hands. 

I feel for the Wild fans like I do for Columbus and hope luck shines on them for a change. 

interesting way of putting it, I would agree with that. 

I guess in a short series anything can happen, but this is one where the Canucks can win it. 

Can someone explain this "asterisk" thing to me? 

why exactly is this playoff round (if it happens) any less worthy of respect than many that came before it? there's a good argument it might be one of the hardest to win, everyone is healthy and will also be isolated from their normal lives, which also means few distractions. This might be one of the hardest fought cup runs ever. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

interesting way of putting it, I would agree with that. 

I guess in a short series anything can happen, but this is one where the Canucks can win it. 

I’d bet on EP, QH and BB coming out of the gate super strong. 

I’d think the kids could and should beat any team on opening day and for the next few weeks. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, stawns said:

I understand what you're saying, but you don't know what would have happened.  The Nucks could have went on a year to finish the season.  

It doesn't matter what could (or couldn't) have been.  What matters is what it is.

True, the team is getting a chance to play in a playoff atmosphere and make the playoffs if they can win their last few games, while it may be considered a playoff, it isn't. But for the sake of experience it is good. But it is an imperfect solution and an imperfect result that doesn't warrant a reward for excellence or declaration of success yet. Just some back to backs vs the same team to try to make the playoffs

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Can someone explain this "asterisk" thing to me? 

why exactly is this playoff round (if it happens) any less worthy of respect than many that came before it? there's a good argument it might be one of the hardest to win, everyone is healthy and will also be isolated from their normal lives, which also means few distractions. This might be one of the hardest fought cup runs ever. 

Kind of a cheater version of a Cup run though.

No 82 games of pain to get in. 
It’s a cage match battle, not a war. 

Having said that, a healthy roster should be a thrill to watch. 

My only reservation is the refs.
Will they follow tradition and put their whistles away? 

That will be the biggest challenge for the NHL, IMO. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

I’d bet on EP, QH and BB coming out of the gate super strong. 

I’d think the kids could and should beat any team on opening day and for the next few weeks. 

There are some star vets over there, clutch, grab and dirty hits with no whistles? Who is going to challenge Greenway if he tattoos Hughes or Petersson? Tanev? Edler? Minnesota would gladly trade off Greenway for Miller.

6 minutes ago, Lazurus said:

There are some star vets over there, clutch, grab and dirty hits with no whistles? Who is going to challenge Greenway if he tattoos Hughes or Petersson? Tanev? Edler? Minnesota would gladly trade off Greenway for Miller.

Playoff hockey.

This is where we can finally grade Benning’s “rebuild”. 

No whistles don’t favour the Canucks, but a fresh start into the playoffs sure does. 

After a few rounds (no whistles), I suspect kids like EP and especially QH to be severely banged up and ineffective. I’m always up for a pleasant surprise though. Prove me wrong, Canucks. 

Edited by 189lb enforcers?
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Have to totally disagree, the cup run started in Febraury. This is just back to back games.

Just figure the refs will do the same as all playoff games. Besides if Staal nails Hughes or Petersson, I mean a playoff hit and not a regular season hard push, well his size would slow them down.

Even though they might not be playoffs, the vets know what they will get away with and how to slow down players that might embarrass them. If anything these few "playoff" atmosphere or reffed games will be in the older guys advantage, they know the pain needed and expect it and can play through it, Staal gets naile his game isn't changing but Hughes might start "looking" more.

You have played in a contact playoff, you know one good hit can alter another player's game and the Canucks don't have a nuclear deterrent

6 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

so Chicago 2012/13 is a cheater cup? they didn't play a full season. Also, how many times during the regular season to we see teams dial in no effort once they've made the playoffs, and the loser teams trot out prospects for the last 10 games? 

69 regular season games + up to 5 more to get into the playoffs. How the heck is that easier than a 48 game schedule in 2012/13?

If this is an asterisk cup then that one must be too. 

I think this run will be even harder with most players being healthy, it will be a grind. 

• Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

This is where we can finally grade Benning’s “rebuild”. 

I don't see how, this group is a one off and will not be the same next year, it can't be. Not enough cap space and the older guys aren't getting faster or tougher and some of them can't be moved. But that is a different animal.

12 minutes ago, Lazurus said:

Have to totally disagree, the cup run started in Febraury. This is just back to back games.

Just figure the refs will do the same as all playoff games. Besides if Staal nails Hughes or Petersson, I mean a playoff hit and not a regular season hard push, well his size would slow them down.

Even though they might not be playoffs, the vets know what they will get away with and how to slow down players that might embarrass them. If anything these few "playoff" atmosphere or reffed games will be in the older guys advantage, they know the pain needed and expect it and can play through it, Staal gets naile his game isn't changing but Hughes might start "looking" more.

You have played in a contact playoff, you know one good hit can alter another player's game and the Canucks don't have a nuclear deterrent

I get it, all of it.

This reads like a classic 189lbs post. 

We are Canuck fans; suckers for the pain of it, but all-in as fans, regardless. 
I’m ready for playoff hockey... the hands over my eyes, peeking through a few fingers, which we both know is the likely pending outcome of this playoff battle. 

Still, this will be way better than the bullied 2011 Playoff Canucks, it can’t be any worse. Those days are over, I hope. EP can prove it or it can go the other way too. 

I want to win, but it’s HOW they lose that will be remembered forever too. 

Can’t wait. 
Been stuck in this Canucks Fans Support Group with you lunatics way too long. 
Time for us to get out of this halfway-house and back into hockey talk. 

Edited by 189lb enforcers?
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

so Chicago 2012/13 is a cheater cup? they didn't play a full season. Also, how many times during the regular season to we see teams dial in no effort once they've made the playoffs, and the loser teams trot out prospects for the last 10 games?

From the start ALL knew what was the season, the schedule was planned out to fit 48 games, How many other teams would be ahead if they feasted on LA or SJ? Some teams in the division haven't even had that dinner yet but the Canucks got 12 points from just those two teams. A balanced schedule would have changed that.

If they finish out the season down to 76 games, it is still an unfair advantage to some teams.

5 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

69 regular season games + up to 5 more to get into the playoffs. How the heck is that easier than a 48 game schedule in 2012/13?

If this is an asterisk cup then that one must be too. 

I think this run will be even harder with most players being healthy, it will be a grind. 

I think where they start the playoffs and the roster health is enough argument on my end. 

The Cup is a revered trophy because of the grind. 
Insta-playoffs isn’t the same thing; Cheater Cup, no doubt, but equal opportunity for all, for sure. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

I think where they start the playoffs and the roster health is enough argument on my end. 

The Cup is a revered trophy because of the grind. 
Insta-playoffs isn’t the same thing; Cheater Cup, no doubt, but equal opportunity for all, for sure. 

but you're contradicting yourself. It will still be a grind, maybe one of the hardest. 

as far as instal-playoffs go, its nearly identical to who was going to make it in anyway. 

4 minutes ago, Lazurus said:

From the start ALL knew what was the season, the schedule was planned out to fit 48 games, How many other teams would be ahead if they feasted on LA or SJ? Some teams in the division haven't even had that dinner yet but the Canucks got 12 points from just those two teams. A balanced schedule would have changed that.

If they finish out the season down to 76 games, it is still an unfair advantage to some teams.

that season was wonky AF. No games outside of your conference also skewed things. We'll never know by how much. You don't know how a 'balanced season' would have changed it, it may have made it easier since LA and SJ had already given up  on their seasons and would have been easier opponents than what the Canucks faced.

6 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

but you're contradicting yourself. It will still be a grind, maybe one of the hardest. 

as far as instal-playoffs go, its nearly identical to who was going to make it in anyway. 

that season was wonky AF. No games outside of your conference also skewed things. We'll never know by how much. You don't know how a 'balanced season' would have changed it, it may have made it easier since LA and SJ had already given up  on their seasons and would have been easier opponents than what the Canucks faced.

Last word on this, because you have stated I’ve contradicted myself. 

Winning the Cup by starting at game 83? 

Insta-playoffs will be a battle of healthy rosters and what a battle it will be, sure, but there’s no way you can say it will be harder of a trophy to win than it traditionally is. 

You only have room to say that it’s equal opportunity.
Like having a 3 month pause after game 82 before the playoffs start so everyone is healthy and equal at the starting line. It’s not the same grind. 

The Ironman Race having a nice long sitting break after one leg, so everyone can catch their breath and start fresh? Not much Iron there.

Same difference with the Cup starting at game 60, or whatever, after a massive break. Its not the same grind, so yes, it’s not like winning the Cup is, traditionally. 

• Cheers 4

4 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Insta-playoffs will be a battle of healthy rosters and what a battle it will be, sure, but there’s no way you can say it will be harder of a trophy to win than it traditionally is. 

Like having a 3 month pause after game 82 before the playoffs start so everyone is healthy and equal at the starting line. It’s not the same grind. 

The Ironman Race having a nice long sitting break after one leg, so everyone can catch their breath and start fresh? Not much Iron there.

Same difference with the Cup starting at game 60, or whatever, after a massive break. Its not the same grind, so yes, it’s not like winning the Cup is, traditionally. 

I think both of you are right to a degree.  The players are coming in fresh and that's a big benefit to them that they normally would not have.  A lot of the players will likely get injured early as they try to go straight in to playoff intensity while not being in game shape.  It should result in a pretty difficult (albeit much different) grind.  

This year will be remembered differently from others but it will be special in it's own way.  The players want that cup and they'll go to war for it.  That has not changed.  Bring on the playoffs!!

• Cheers 3

52 minutes ago, Lazurus said:

I don't see how, this group is a one off and will not be the same next year, it can't be. Not enough cap space and the older guys aren't getting faster or tougher and some of them can't be moved. But that is a different animal.

Then every team is a one off because no team comes back the same the next season.  I honestly don't know what the point you're trying to make is.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Baratheon said:

I think both of you are right to a degree.  The players are coming in fresh and that's a big benefit to them that they normally would not have.  A lot of the players will likely get injured early as they try to go straight in to playoff intensity while not being in game shape.  It should result in a pretty difficult (albeit much different) grind.  

This year will be remembered differently from others but it will be special in it's own way.  The players want that cup and they'll go to war for it.  That has not changed.  Bring on the playoffs!!

I think we're a ways from being a sure thing.  There are a fair number of players saying it's a terrible idea and the NHLPA has just as much say as the league

• Cheers 2

24 minutes ago, stawns said:

I think we're a ways from being a sure thing.  There are a fair number of players saying it's a terrible idea and the NHLPA has just as much say as the league

Agreed but still...    Bring on the playoffs!!  

31 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

All of this raises an interesting question ... if we somehow did get into the final dance, even with equal opportunity, would fans be ok winning the Cup with the asterisk?

I throw this question out there because if we did manage to win the Cup this year, you know the media and all other fanbases would de-legitimize the win and say it wasn't a real Cup victory. Especially the Canucks. 

• Upvote 1