The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks vs Wild - Proposed playoff format

Rate this topic

bpow

23 hours ago, spook007 said:

The lack of support in 2011 should be enough for any Canuck fans not to worry about what other fans or media thinks, should the dream become reality....
if the league decides this is, what it takes to win the cup, then this is what is takes. 
Bring it on.....

Hey, I'm with you. No arguement here.

I'm just saying there will be a portion of the hockey population and media that will make an issue and will think like that.

• Cheers 1

On 5/22/2020 at 12:44 PM, Jimmy McGill said:

this is whats annoying about people dismissing this years cup run before the pucks dropped on it. There are all kinds of changes to the league over the years, did that make the cup runs less legit? To me 2012/13 is the perfect comparison, if thats legit then this years is too. 

I'm not saying it's not legit. That's not the side I'm on.

I'm just pointing out the inevitable arguement or excuse some people and media will make in an attempt to dismiss, because those excuses will be made for sure. It's completey annoying but inevitable imo.

• Cheers 3

On 5/22/2020 at 11:25 AM, Down by the River said:

The game evolves/adapts. Will winning the Stanley Cup in 2019-2020 be different from past years? Yes. Will it tarnish the meaning of the Cup? No. There should be no asterisk. 

Some will attempt to tarnish and marginalize the significance. Will it tarnish the actual meaning? Maybe only to the fools listening to fools. None of that will matter when the Cup is raised. 

I can understand an asterisk from a historical perspective to mark a significant change in the season and playoff format. Imo, an asterisk doesn't alter the significance of winning the Cup. 

• Upvote 2

I'm so pumped for this series right now. Kind of scary that the Canucks' season could be finished in as few as 3 games though. 

But this could be the year we go all the way. Crazy talk? Maybe. But perhaps we're all a little crazy these days. Plus, it's still the Canucks' 40th year. Plus they have all kinds of talent in goal, on defense, and on offense. Plus, they might just have enough sandpaper / toughness. Let's get this thing started already!

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

I just clued into the fact that the Canucks would need to win 19 playoff games to take home the Cup.

Best of five plus 4 rounds of best of seven.

So, we could, for the first time ever, win 16 games and lose the Cup.

Heck, we could win 18 games and still lose.

Wouldn't that be typical Canuck luck? 

Win 18 playoff games, only to lose, in Game 7 of the Finals, to one of the teams that had a bye and only won the standard 16 playoff games.

We finish with the most wins of any team in the 2020 playoffs, but still lose the Cup.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I just clued into the fact that the Canucks would need to win 19 playoff games to take home the Cup.

Win 18 playoff games, only to lose, in Game 7 of the Finals, to one of the teams that had a bye and only won the standard 16 playoff games.

We finish with the most wins of any team in the 2020 playoffs, but still lose the Cup.

Id take that.  And be awfully proud of the team if somehow we managed it.   When the season ended our playoff hopes had been slipping away for weeks...this however is a possibility - and even fair odds that some team that plays the first round  could go all the way and lose after winning 16 games.   But I think the five round series will be viewed as the season end.. even with all the extra games it won’t add up to the current standard of games played over a season.   True observation though - strange times we are living in.   Just hope with things relaxing people don’t blow it for everyone ... social distancing is still in affect but in the US in certain areas they don’t seem to care.  

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

That's a good point.

I laugh when people say it's an asterisk cup this year.

So there could potentially be a 19 win champion, the first ever and most ever wins needed... but its an asterisk cup..

Ok then

4 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

To me, if we can just make it to the Conference Finals and make that 1st round pick we traded away to be in the 28-31 range would be ideal.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ruilin96 said:

To me, if we can just make it to the Conference Finals and make that 1st round pick we traded away to be in the 28-31 range would be ideal.

Yep, playoffs were always the goal this year...asterisk or not, getting the youth some experience in games that count is what really matters. Making the trade for Miller a success sure makes for some tasty icing on the cake though. Go Canucks go!

• Cheers 3

40 minutes ago, Amebushi said:

Yep, playoffs were always the goal this year...asterisk or not, getting the youth some experience in games that count is what really matters. Making the trade for Miller a success sure makes for some tasty icing on the cake though. Go Canucks go!

If the player NJD picks with our pick becomes a bust would be ideal. That way we can run away 100% win the JT Miller trade. Playoffs this year would be completely open for all the teams. It no longer matters which team is the better team (atleast the first couple of rounds), because it is more of a matter of who can get back into best form than the others. So it is a wide open playoffs this year IMO. Whoever can get hot early can run with the momentum and go far.

7 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

That's my  issue with the above discussion surrounding this playoff winner being 'asterisked'

The new first round essentially replaces the dozen missed games from the regular season. After that it's playoffs as normal.

Were those missed regular season games so crucial that they amount to a whole new regard for this years playoffs? I think no.

2 hours ago, nzan said:

That's my  issue with the above discussion surrounding this playoff winner being 'asterisked'

The new first round essentially replaces the dozen missed games from the regular season. After that it's playoffs as normal.

Were those missed regular season games so crucial that they amount to a whole new regard for this years playoffs? I think no.

Two of the original six teams were in 12th place (in their respective conferences).

Coincidence that the league decided on a 24 team format? ;) 

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, ruilin96 said:

If the player NJD picks with our pick becomes a bust would be ideal.

To cheer for a young guy's dream to be crushed just so the optics of a trade appear better is absurd. The deal is already a success on our end, what happens with the pick is irrelevant .

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, BlastPast said:

To cheer for a young guy's dream to be crushed just so the optics of a trade appear better is absurd. The deal is already a success on our end, what happens with the pick is irrelevant .

There are going to be bust in every 1st round, no matter what happens. I despite NJD with 2 1st OA picks, so wouldn't mind see them be the team that eventually end up with a bust. It is not targeting a specific player, it is just bound to happen and I hope that bust is in NJD. However, if I like the kid that is drafted at that position, I would change my mind and root for that kid. However, right now as it stands, I just hope NJD is a team that draft a bust. Also if Tampa Bay still have the pick, I would not want the player to be turn out as a bust because they are not NJD.

On 5/25/2020 at 10:03 AM, Mackcanuck said:

So, will the lottery be for just the 7 teams that don't make the playdowns??

Just announced, the 8 teams that lose the preliminary round will have a chance as well, 3% each.

• Thanks 1