The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

All four Canadian political parties have applied for the Trudeau government's wage subsidy

Ryan Strome

6 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Well this is beyond pathetic!

All four Canadian political parties have applied for the federal wage subsidy implemented by the Trudeau government to cover 75 percent of wages during the coronavirus pandemic.

https://thepostmillennial.com/all-four-canadian-political-parties-have-applied-for-the-trudeau-governments-wage-subsidy

Wut?

That does seem pathetic. I think they should have to show their funds and the restricted incoming donor numbers AND take a pay cut before applying for this. 

Why is the  Federal Government always referred to as the Trudeau Government?

Just now, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

It kind of started when Herr Harper decided to tell the media to refer to his Conservative government (which is what the media used previously) as "the Harper Government".

Ahh, thank you.

I think some of those that say it, seem to think of it as dis to the Federal Gov, but to me it boosts his persona. Which is probably why Harper wanted it to be referred to as such. 

• Cheers 1

51 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Yes, Herr Harper was a bit of a megalomaniac.  It's a wonder he didn't try to move to consolidate power in perpetuity under himself as supreme leader when he had the majority in Parliament.

He did.  Refused to answer legitimate questions in the election where we finally kicked his bigoted arse out of the PMO.  He is lucky he isn't in prison where he belongs for hate speech.

• Cheers 2

I think this money should be clawed back from their expense budgets.

That being said.

Campaign offices and ministerial/senate staff members DO in fact have jobs that are not in fact government or public positions as they are in fact paid as private employees.  For MPs to look for wage relief for them is visually galling but not actually illegal or underhanded at all.

Again though, that being said.  

It pisses me off that at no point in time in all of this have MPs lost a dime of their ridiculous salaries.  It is high time a party get serious about clawing back the amount these people make in salary and expenses.

1 hour ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Yes, Herr Harper was a bit of a megalomaniac.  It's a wonder he didn't try to move to consolidate power in perpetuity under himself as supreme leader when he had the majority in Parliament.

You mean like Trudeau just tried a month ago? 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

You mean like Trudeau just tried a month ago? 

Ya, he didn't try to give himself power.  The party tried to give Morneau power based on a threat of non confidence by some back benchers who would rather call a snap election instead of helping people through this Covid issue.  It's all written out pretty plainly.

3 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Ya, he didn't try to give himself power.  The party tried to give Morneau power based on a threat of non confidence by some back benchers who would rather call a snap election instead of helping people through this Covid issue.  It's all written out pretty plainly.

Why wasn’t it presented pretty plainly then? Why did they try to sneak it into a bill? Rather than asking all parties for an emergency exception openly?.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

Wut?

That does seem pathetic. I think they should have to show their funds and the restricted incoming donor numbers AND take a pay cut before applying for this. 

Why is the  Federal Government always referred to as the Trudeau Government?

this is for people that work for the parties, not for MPs. These are all the folks that make our parties run, its a legit job. 

@Ryan Strome would you like to explain why people who have jobs working for parties should be exempt from help? 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

Violated ethics, committed political interference during an election, has committed treason to Canada, interfered in a criminal case and has been accused of Sexually harassing a student many years ago. Also bypassing due political process to try and ban guns, paying 600 million to media for censorship, etc. 

Probably the worst Leader in Canadian history of any party, Period.

1) Violated ethics:

Not a criminal offense.  At most a fine.  Boo hoo

2) committed political interference during an election:

Umm  provide specifics here.  This is a serious charge so you must have evidence.

3) has committed treason to Canada:

Umm  provide specifics here.  Treason is a serious charge so you must have evidence.

4)  interfered in a criminal case

Umm  provide specifics here.  This is a serious charge so you must have evidence.

5) accused of Sexually harassing a student many years ago.

6) Also bypassing due political process to try and ban guns.

Nothing illegal with the gun ban.  Other aspects of the plan will require legislation.   If your charge is true, then those parts of the plan would have been put in place now.

7)paying 600 million to media for censorship,

Is this a backhanded swipe at the CBC.  Nothing illegal here

8)etc.

You got more?   That's debatable.  You barely got anything here thats supported with actual evidence, let alone charges that would warrant jail time.

Edited by thedestroyerofworlds
  • Thanks 1
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I think this money should be clawed back from their expense budgets.

That being said.

Campaign offices and ministerial/senate staff members DO in fact have jobs that are not in fact government or public positions as they are in fact paid as private employees.  For MPs to look for wage relief for them is visually galling but not actually illegal or underhanded at all.

Again though, that being said.  

It pisses me off that at no point in time in all of this have MPs lost a dime of their ridiculous salaries.  It is high time a party get serious about clawing back the amount these people make in salary and expenses.

why? working for a party is a legitimate job. All of them have had to scale down activities and these folks need as much help as any other worker. If people want to get pissed off and cut these people off thats just pure spite. 

3 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

It kind of started when Herr Harper decided to tell the media to refer to his Conservative government (which is what the media used previously) as "the Harper Government".

He also took down all the photos of past prime ministers and out up photos of himself. 

39 minutes ago, Grapefruits said:

LOL! at Harper getting dragged into something he has nothing to do with.

HARPER BAD!

Actually he has everything to do with the question at hand seeing as this new trend is calling the 'the (insert PM here) government' originated with him.  Harper is a scumbag for a variety of reasons ;) 

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Gnarcore said:

He also took down all the photos of past prime ministers and out up photos of himself. 

Actually he has everything to do with the question at hand seeing as this new trend is calling the 'the (insert PM here) government' originated with him.  Harper is a scumbag for a variety of reasons ;) 

LOL! I remember people referring to the Chretien government long before Harper. It's time to move on.  Fun fact, under Harper Canada had the richest middle class.

Anyways, they're all scumbags.

• Cheers 2

9 minutes ago, Grapefruits said:

LOL! I remember people referring to the Chretien government long before Harper. It's time to move on.  Fun fact, under Harper Canada had the richest middle class.

Anyways, they're all scumbags.

I agree with that last point. Harper is also the only PM when asked about a recession under their govt has to ask 'which one?'  ;) 

2 hours ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

Violated ethics,

committed political interference during an election,

has committed treason to Canada, 

interfered in a criminal case

and has been accused of Sexually harassing a student many years ago.

Also bypassing due political process to try and ban guns,

paying 600 million to media for censorship, etc. 

Probably the worst Leader in Canadian history of any party, Period.

OK full stop.

You;'re full of it any number of these cases.  I won't even mince words.  You;'re not only hyper dramatic you're full of sh** on the facts.  All of which have been debated to death here.

Violated ethics.  Yes, under new rules implemented after the previous government violated those same laws numerous times.  That the government before them violated.  That the government before them violated and got a brown paper bag for.  Doesn't make it ok, but certainly not something unusual or new to Canadian politics.

Treason to Canada?  HA.  Ok prove it.  Literally going to ask you to prove it while reminding you the government prior to trudeau signed an agreement in which if China loses money in Canada to Covid, can SUE the government of Canada.  The single most gallingly one sided trade agreement ever signed in Canadian history so wildly in favour of China but yes, Trudeau is the bad guy

Interfered in a criminal case?  Sorry, can you sign a cheque for me to the senators I hand picked who have been defrauding the people, but don't ever admit I told you to do it.  This is not a new thing

Accused but....never corroborated, apologized for AND in fact turned out to be nothing more than an honest mistake made by the writer 

Bypassing the due political process?  Sorry I might need to prorogue parliament twice to avoid my 2nd contempt of parliament charge to understand this one.  This is not a new thing

$600 million paid for what?  You mean, $600 million in tax breaks to news print media, almost all of which owned by people who donate only to the Conservative party.  That is not paying for censorship that is saving an industry.  Or would you say the same about him paying to save Alberta's oilseeds?

You're drunk aren't you?  That's about the only explanation I could accept for this level of utter and complete dramatic rendition of the actual facts

2 hours ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

Why wasn’t it presented pretty plainly then? Why did they try to sneak it into a bill? Rather than asking all parties for an emergency exception openly?.

I do not agree with what he did at all.  Like at all.  But parliament was not sitting.  There was a unanimous vote needed.  A few bad benchers threatened to vote no on a bill that would save people and small business in hopes of toppling the government.  It was a ballsy move and it paid off for them.  While I don't agree with it, I'd rather that than watch the entire nations small business economy completely shatter under the issues seen the last 8 weeks.

Edited by Warhippy
  • Vintage 1