The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

An abundance of options: Canucks to have fully-healthy roster for play-in series versus Minnesota

Rate this topic

dank.sinatra

Knowing TG's tendencies, he constructs the lineup that matches up well against the opposition.

Given the circumstances with the pause and likely players will be rusty, I gather he will select his lines based on who gives him the best utility and those who are most up to speed.  Minnesota is a quick and has multiple lines of attack.  I do believe Green will orient those lines to counter Minnesota's so I expect the top six to stay the same, but the bottom six will be used to be more defensively oriented.

Miller-Pettersson-Toffoli

Pearson-Horvat-Boeser

Motte-Sutter-Virtanen

Roussel-Beagle-Gaudette

40 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Ayyup.

I'll also add that I'd prefer to swap Toffoli/Boeser from the OP. As good as Toffoli was with Petey and Millsy, Boeser is an ill fit on the match up Horvat line IMO.

Miller, Pettersson, Boeser

Pearson, Horvat, Toffoli

Gaudette, Sutter, Virtanen

Roussel, Beagle, Motte

Leivo to sub in the middle 6 if there's injuries, MacEwan on the 4th.

aGENT this is the same forward lineup I’d go with.   Miller adds the grit to the top line - and the second would give other teams best players a rough time at home games - same with our third and fourth lines.   The only question mark for me is what to do with LE.   Does he have it in him or not.  Seems like a waste to have him on the bench but that might be the best place for him.   Also Leivo is one motivated guy and played decently enough with us...I suppose it will come down to whatever mini-training camp TG puts the guys through and what happens game to game - but this is exactly how I’d start it on paper.

• Cheers 2

56 minutes ago, 250Integra said:

Miller - Pettersson - Toffoli

Pearson - Horvat - Boeser

Virtanen - Sutter - Gaudette

Roussel - Beagle - Motte

MacEwan, Leivo (if healthy), Eriksson

Edler - Myers

Hughes - Tanev

Benn - Stecher

Fantenberg

Markstrom

Demko

So who is going to handle the tough stuff? 

2 hours ago, mll said:

They have not agreed to play yet.  The vote was only on the format should they agree to return.  As for the financials there is a cost to organise all this. If at the end it does't impact revenue (ie reduce their escrow or only marginally) they might not be willing to come back.

Dubnyk is on the NHLPA executive committee representing the Wild.  On the financials via the Athletic:

“Like, one question a lot of players have is the revenue thing. How much revenue are we getting from coming back and playing versus how much money are we spending on all these things that need to happen for this to happen – all the hotels, the food, the testing. These are a lot of expenses, so is it worth it?”

He also insists that there will need to be a vote with every player because he thinks it's could be quite tight.  Every player has their own personal situation.  A player with young kids or a pregnant wife might not want to vote the same way as someone with no ties.

In normal times a player would leave the team for a few games to attend the birth of his child and then come back.  They talk of keeping players in a bubble - so what's the protocol to bring players back into the bubble - will they have to go through a 2 week quarantine.  

Funny how the NHL has been promoting the idea of handing the cup out since day one - and with this data Dubnyk seems to be making this about money...reminiscent of when the players got so greedy the owners locked them out.  Who cares about the money?  Well I guess the players do.   What they should be worried about is the financial implications if they don’t try and get this done.  It would set a precedent for next season which is also at risk - they should all be thinking about that too and pushing hard to get back on the ice sooner then later.  Guess these guys don’t have MBAs - but why in the heck would they be worried about the hotel and testing costs anyways?  They have already agreed to playoffs in their contracts - and the remuneration is all layed out.  Plus they’ve been paid and haven’t done the work yet despite all the support staff getting layed off.  Ok MAF put up 500k to help with Vegas payroll so not all of them are not thinking about themselves mostly.   Guess they don’t understand the future costs of how playing could affect the next TV deal...or playing at all - or the possible revenue streams available if they go ahead with it.  

That said a lot of them are already set for life ...but one could say they take a way bigger risk stepping on the ice each game then they likely would catching covid with the suggested protocols in place but I get that it’s scary.   I’d be completely pissed if they caboshed this given their stakeholders (including us fans) and the steps and hoops the league is willing to take...the NHL is composed of billionaire owners with fleets of MBAs, lawyers and accountants at their disposal- why the heck is Dubnyk questioning their math?  Ridiculous.

Edit:  And on the what - 3? players that might be playing while their wife has a baby - how many exactly are we talking about?  Can’t see that as been a big issue either.   Must be nice to have millions of dollars and not want to do what your getting paid to do.  Most people aren’t in the same position.  Wonder how many people on this site that have family going to work every day (not staying at home and being computer warriors) and putting theirselves at risk and their families...why should hockey players be placed at a higher standard?  And they will be.  Daily testing ... teams of cleaners... good grief. 

Edited by IBatch

9 minutes ago, vannuck59 said:

There's a lot of players listed that can handle the "tough stuff". This is probably the best line up we can ice in terms of skill, speed, defense, and scoring. The only thing I might change is replacing Motte with MacEwan, but you need someone like Motte in the playoffs that is constantly moving, hitting, and applying pressure on the forecheck.

Let's see your line up.

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, 250Integra said:

There's a lot of players listed that can handle the "tough stuff". This is probably the best line up we can ice in terms of skill, speed, defense, and scoring. The only thing I might change is replacing Motte with MacEwan, but you need someone like Motte in the playoffs that is constantly moving, hitting, and applying pressure on the forecheck.

Let's see your line up.

What tough stuff?  Those days have been gone for almost a decade.   Used to be fights almost every game.  Then maybe a fight a series.  Now it’s a few fights the entire playoffs.   Maybe TG can do that ha ha.  Plus we have Zack if we need him. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Ayyup.

I'll also add that I'd prefer to swap Toffoli/Boeser from the OP. As good as Toffoli was with Petey and Millsy, Boeser is an ill fit on the match up Horvat line IMO.

Miller, Pettersson, Boeser

Pearson, Horvat, Toffoli

Gaudette, Sutter, Virtanen

Roussel, Beagle, Motte

Leivo to sub in the middle 6 if there's injuries, MacEwan on the 4th.

thats a very nice lineup.

I don't mind the idea of Miller-Petey-TT if teams are able to get too physical with Petey and the line needs more pushback at times when we dont have last change. Depends on the team and whats happening in any particular game. I don't think we'd need that vs Minni but maybe against Winnipeg. 

• Cheers 2

40 minutes ago, vannuck59 said:

The world has changed so much since, and may never return to how it was

Even, If they even have playoffs,  the same may be true of the playoffs if they return

I think a team of dancers will be the new trend now, instead of toughness (Which may be greatly frowned upon and enforced now)

If we see playoffs, I doubt it will be the kind we are use to seeing (I sure hope it isn't hockey like the AllStar Games)

Hopefully with hockey, they can design  the masks safe, so the players just play, (instead of timid and thinking of covid )

Maybe the goalie cage mask will be a thing of the past now as well?

If we are fully healthy, that means both Ferland AND Leivo will come back, which of course will be huge. This is my ideal forward group

Miller - Pettersson - Boeser

Pearson - Horvat - Toffoli

Leivo - Gaudette - Virtanen

Ferland - Beagle - Motte

Scratches: Sutter, MacEwen, Eriksson, Roussel

IMO that’s the best possible roster we can ice. Ferland and Motte on the fourth line to bring the energy. I kept Beagle in over Sutter because I think he’s a little better at penalty killing and faceoffs than Sutter, and the fact he’s gone all the way before adds a good amount of experience. 

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Funny how the NHL has been promoting the idea of handing the cup out since day one - and with this data Dubnyk seems to be making this about money...reminiscent of when the players got so greedy the owners locked them out.  Who cares about the money?  Well I guess the players do.   What they should be worried about is the financial implications if they don’t try and get this done.  It would set a precedent for next season which is also at risk - they should all be thinking about that too and pushing hard to get back on the ice sooner then later.  Guess these guys don’t have MBAs - but why in the heck would they be worried about the hotel and testing costs anyways?  They have already agreed to playoffs in their contracts - and the remuneration is all layed out.  Plus they’ve been paid and haven’t done the work yet despite all the support staff getting layed off.  Ok MAF put up 500k to help with Vegas payroll so not all of them are not thinking about themselves mostly.   Guess they don’t understand the future costs of how playing could affect the next TV deal...or playing at all - or the possible revenue streams available if they go ahead with it.  

That said a lot of them are already set for life ...but one could say they take a way bigger risk stepping on the ice each game then they likely would catching covid with the suggested protocols in place but I get that it’s scary.   I’d be completely pissed if they caboshed this given their stakeholders (including us fans) and the steps and hoops the league is willing to take...the NHL is composed of billionaire owners with fleets of MBAs, lawyers and accountants at their disposal- why the heck is Dubnyk questioning their math?  Ridiculous.

Edit:  And on the what - 3? players that might be playing while their wife has a baby - how many exactly are we talking about?  Can’t see that as been a big issue either.   Must be nice to have millions of dollars and not want to do what your getting paid to do.  Most people aren’t in the same position.  Wonder how many people on this site that have family going to work every day (not staying at home and being computer warriors) and putting theirselves at risk and their families...why should hockey players be placed at a higher standard?  And they will be.  Daily testing ... teams of cleaners... good grief. 

That was just one quote out of so many others.  There are so many concerns around the health of players, access to family, how are they going to preserve that bubble.  Players are tested but are hotel staff, other hotel guests, custodians, etc. Are these outside staff self isolating - what are the risk that they bring in Covid into that bubble.  They have families, young kids at home, wives that are expecting and don't want to be away from them for a prolonged period of time.  Some players have diabetes that could compromise their immune system.  

Players and owners split revenue at 50%. It's a down year so players have to return part of their salaries to equalise that revenue.  They need to know the financial implications as it affects how much more money they will owe back on top of escrow already retained.  

Fwiw every Wild player including Dubnyk contributed to make their hourly paid employees whole.   His wife was also hospitalised earlier this year with a serious medical condition where her life was at risk.  He has 3 young kids and might not want to put himself in a position where he could catch it and transmit it to his wife or kids.   He also doesn't want to be away from them for too long.  The league has yet to provide details on the protocols.  

Edited by mll
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

I agree with the notion that Adam Gaudette should be deployed as a winger-cum-alternate centreman on a line with either Sutter or Beagle.  There's no way the Canucks would go far into this year's playoffs if he's deployed as a mainstay centreman, and definitely not as a 3rd line centreman - he'd be eaten alive.

Maybe in a few years, after some meaningful tutelage under Beagle and Malhotra on what it means to be a bottom-six centre, but definitely not this year.

I see what you and the internet have been up to the last couple months :lol:

38 minutes ago, mll said:

That was just one quote out of so many others.  There are so many concerns around the health of players, access to family, how are they going to preserve that bubble.  Players are tested but are hotel staff, other hotel guests, custodians, etc. Are these outside staff self isolating - what are the risk that they bring in Covid into that bubble.  They have families, young kids at home, wives that are expecting and don't want to be away from them for a prolonged period of time.  Some players have diabetes that could compromise their immune system.  

Players and owners split revenue at 50%. It's a down year so players have to return part of their salaries to equalise that revenue.  They need to know the financial implications as it affects how much more money they will owe back on top of escrow already retained.  

Fwiw every Wild player including Dubnyk contributed to make their hourly paid employees whole.   His wife was also hospitalised earlier this year with a serious medical condition where her life was at risk.  He has 3 young kids and might not want to put himself in a position where he could catch it and transmit it to his wife or kids.   He also doesn't want to be away from them for too long.  The league has yet to provide details on the protocols.  

Like I said.  They’ve been paid.  They will get 30 times the treatment as the average grocery worker or nurse.  So no I don’t agree that they should be pussies about this.   My grandfather got off a boat in Dieppe and I’ve done some pretty risky things too to make a buck.   These guys have it so so so coushy easy compared to the rest of us.   I won’t side with your viewpoint no matter how many examples or quotes you can find on the internet sorry. 

9 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Like I said.  They’ve been paid.  They will get 30 times the treatment as the average grocery worker or nurse.  So no I don’t agree that they should be pussies about this.   My grandfather got off a boat in Dieppe and I’ve done some pretty risky things too to make a buck.   These guys have it so so so coushy easy compared to the rest of us.   I won’t side with your viewpoint no matter how many examples or quotes you can find on the internet sorry. 

Wasn't sharing my viewpoint.  It's theirs and why there is a possibility that the league does not resume.   It will depend on the protocols.  

They've postponed their last salary instalment (about 120M) - they have to give back the amounts needed to split revenue at 50%. They are still undecided whether to give it up in full now or only a portion of it.  

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, vannuck59 said:

We don't have any bonafide fighters, but I could see almost everyone on our roster fighting if it really came down to it.

• Upvote 3

Might not be a bad idea to get Baertschi into the lineup too.  

His play wasn't bad, just his salary didn't warrant him a spot on the team.  

If Minnesota Wild wants to go "run & gun" (I thought I wouldn't never put that in the same sentence).... having Sven would help a lot.