The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

An abundance of options: Canucks to have fully-healthy roster for play-in series versus Minnesota

Rate this topic

dank.sinatra

I think we are going to see amazing hockey.  Maybe take half a game to get up to speed, but it will be almost the same as the kind of intensity of the usual first games of a regular season.  Everyone healthy, everyone rested, everyone eager to play.  The NFL takes an extra week to have players healthier and rested before the Superbowl. I wouldn't think the NHL would want to delay a playoff start longer after an already long season once things get back to "normal", but a delay will have great benefits in the quality of play.  Most playoffs are entertaining, but it's driven by adrenaline with patched up players going above and beyond.  This one will be a combination of that hunger for playoff success, but with healthy rosters.  Can't wait!

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, kilgore said:

I think we are going to see amazing hockey.  Maybe take half a game to get up to speed, but it will be almost the same as the kind of intensity of the usual first games of a regular season.  Everyone healthy, everyone rested, everyone eager to play.  The NFL takes an extra week to have players healthier and rested before the Superbowl. I wouldn't think the NHL would want to delay a playoff start longer after an already long season once things get back to "normal", but a delay will have great benefits in the quality of play.  Most playoffs are entertaining, but it's driven by adrenaline with patched up players going above and beyond.  This one will be a combination of that hunger for playoff success, but with healthy rosters.  Can't wait!

If it were to happen, i think you would see a rash of legit and non legit injuries that will not be playing 

So much has changed and i think the games and team contact sports may have as well :(

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Wondering what happens if NHL / NHLPA vote to resume and some players (Dubnyk) refuse to report. I mean, the obvious is suspension without pay, but wondering if there will be more ripple effect to this.

I don't think the NHL or NHLPA is looking to make participation mandatory.

1 minute ago, VegasCanuck said:

Wondering what happens if NHL / NHLPA vote to resume and some players (Dubnyk) refuse to report. I mean, the obvious is suspension without pay, but wondering if there will be more ripple effect to this.

Dubnyk will show up - can't see him holding out.  He is simply voicing the concerns of the executive committee and the players on their teams.  There is work that still needs to be done for players to feel comfortable to return.  Once it goes through a vote and even if some are luke warm I doubt anyone would hold out.  As he was explaining you don't want a positive that they are returning to become a negative because the players didn't fully understand what it meant and are then upset about the situation.  

51 minutes ago, mll said:

Dubnyk will show up - can't see him holding out.  He is simply voicing the concerns of the executive committee and the players on their teams.  There is work that still needs to be done for players to feel comfortable to return.  Once it goes through a vote and even if some are luke warm I doubt anyone would hold out.  As he was explaining you don't want a positive that they are returning to become a negative because the players didn't fully understand what it meant and are then upset about the situation.  

we're putting the cart befpre the horse for sure.  I still think it's 50/50, at best

Miller            Pettersson          Boeser                      1.  One of the  top lines in the league when the played together.  Eye test and data approved.

Pearson         Horvat                 Toffoli                      2. Previous chemistry with both Toffoli and Pearson, and Pearson and Horvat.  Toffoli brings both offence and defence.

Roussel        Gaudette           Virtanen                     3. This line started clicking late last season.  All three can skate and play hard.  Elements that bode favourly to the playoffs.

Ferland          Beagle                 Sutter                     4. Sutter and Beagle are needed for the centre positions for the pk and face-offs.  Ferland is the toughest player if he can go.                                                

5. Extras (Offensive player) Leivo, Macewen, Eriksson, Motte (Defensive player) Leivo, Motte, Macewen, Eriksson

Edler                    Myers                                  1. Were a dominant defensive pairing at the beginning of season.  Play trailed after.  Time off will benefit both players.

Hughes                 Tanev                                  2. Hughes and  Tanev were probably best defensive pairing all year round.  Will need to be in playoffs.        

Benn                   Stetcher                               3.  Regular season would go Fantenberg but Benn is more suited for playoffs.  Fantenberg is first in in case of injury.

Markstrom                                              1.  Self explanatory

Demko

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, ba;;isticsports said:

If it were to happen, i think you would see a rash of legit and non legit injuries that will not be playing 

So much has changed and i think the games and team contact sports may have as well :(

Huh?  Don’t overreact.  This will pass.  The NHL isn’t going to suffer much - at most two years of whatever until it’s back.  By then Marchand will be past his pride and ejected and banned forever the first time he licks anyone.   That’s about the only change that will happen.  You do know this has happened at more or less exactly the same time five centuries in a row now...and the Olympiad still exists...and lacrosse exists ... and sword fighting and murdering with guns eventually became vogue.  Really I can’t tell if your making a joke or seriously think the sky is falling now that humanity yet again is faced with a pandemic - and this time we actually know exactly what is happening and have the tools to deal with it.   For the first time our history.  Spanish Flu, Plague, Cholera or whatever it’s not a good time to be a bug. 

2 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

He'll never play another game in the NHL if he refuses to report. Look how quickly Washington terminated Gudas's contract.

Edited by Timbermen

Miller Pettersson Boeser

Pearson Horvat Toffolli

Virtanen Gaudette Sutter

McEwen Beagle Motte

Hughes Myers

Edler Tanev

Benn Stecher

Any word on Tryamkin possibly signing yet? Hed add a huge boost if we can get him in Benn's spot!

• Cheers 1

Miller Pettersson Boeser
Pearson Horvat Toffoli
Roussell Gaudette Virtanen
Motte Beagle Sutter

Black aces: Baertschi, Leivo, Ferland, MacEwen, Eriksson

Edler Myers
Hughes Tanev
Fantenberg Stecher

Black aces: Benn, Rafferty, Juolevi

Markstrom.

Edited by NaveJoseph

7 hours ago, -AJ- said:

We don't have any bonafide fighters, but I could see almost everyone on our roster fighting if it really came down to it.

Horvat been in a couple, Myers, Roussell, Sutter . They could always dress MacEwen if they have to. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Timbermen said:

Horvat been in a couple, Myers, Roussell, Sutter . They could always dress MacEwen if they have to. 

Yep. Tanev fought this year, I'd be surprised if Beagle wouldn't fight if he was in an intense playoff game. Heck, I could even see Petey getting so fired up he drops the gloves. Angry Petey is a scary Petey for the opposition.

5 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Yep. Tanev fought this year, I'd be surprised if Beagle wouldn't fight if he was in an intense playoff game. Heck, I could even see Petey getting so fired up he drops the gloves. Angry Petey is a scary Petey for the opposition.

Tanev was a beast this year, he has that old man strength now. He was so skinny when he was young. Angry Petey is one my favourite things in this world. He's 6'2 you never know. When Petey uses that anger to win puck battles, score goals, make awesome plays, it is lethal for the opposition.

• Cheers 1

Playoffs lineup

1st line 

Miller Pete Toffoli

I agree Toffoli has bumped Boeser off the 1st line which may be a blessing in disguise for him.

2nd Line

Pearson Bo Virtanen

I think Virtanen is the best fit here as they will be taking every D zone faceoff creating turnovers and rushing the puck is Jakes jam.

3rd line

Zac Mac Gaudette Boeser

We have seen Gaudettes performance really ratchet up when given quality minutes and line mates (Boeser), Big Mac I think is the best fit here for his play down low. They may not get as many minutes as the above 2 lines but they should have high quality minutes and favorable matchups 

4th line

Roussel Beagle Sutter

Pure shut down

D pretty cut n dry

Hughes Tanev

Edler Myers

Fanta Stetcher

Extras: Ferland, Motte, Baer, Goldobin, Loui, Leivo?, Benn, Brogan, Bone?

Edited by hammertime

i hope ferlands ready to rock and roll

our forwards  are scary on paper 

miller petey toffoli

pearson horvat boeser

roussel gaudette virtanen

ferland  beagle macewen

sutter 

edler myers

hughes tanev

benn stecher 

markstrom

demko 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, hammertime said:

Playoffs lineup

1st line 

Miller Pete Toffoli

I agree Toffoli has bumped Boeser off the 1st line which may be a blessing in disguise for him.

2nd Line

Pearson Bo Virtanen

I think Virtanen is the best fit here as they will be taking every D zone faceoff creating turnovers and rushing the puck is Jakes jam.

3rd line

Zac Mac Gaudette Boeser

We have seen Gaudettes performance really ratchet up when given quality minutes and line mates (Boeser), Big Mac I think is the best fit here for his play down low. They may not get as many minutes as the above 2 lines but they should have high quality minutes and favorable matchups 

4th line

Roussel Beagle Sutter

Pure shut down

D pretty cut n dry

Hughes Tanev

Edler Miller 

Fanta Stetcher

Extras: Ferland, Motte, Baer, Goldobin, Loui, Leivo?, Benn, Brogan, Bone?

U think Miller's superman!? :^)

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, IBatch said:

Huh?  Don’t overreact.  This will pass.  The NHL isn’t going to suffer much - at most two years of whatever until it’s back.  By then Marchand will be past his pride and ejected and banned forever the first time he licks anyone.   That’s about the only change that will happen.  You do know this has happened at more or less exactly the same time five centuries in a row now...and the Olympiad still exists...and lacrosse exists ... and sword fighting and murdering with guns eventually became vogue.  Really I can’t tell if your making a joke or seriously think the sky is falling now that humanity yet again is faced with a pandemic - and this time we actually know exactly what is happening and have the tools to deal with it.   For the first time our history.  Spanish Flu, Plague, Cholera or whatever it’s not a good time to be a bug. 

Are you Trumps son with the answer?

This is not a flu and completely DIFFERENT, how long did the ones you mention last again ?

Don't act like a know it all, to the unknown and you have the answers and ridicule

I don't pretend to know how it will play out, i was suggesting because things in the world have changed, that maybe hockey will itself

People are dying, the world is shut down, all sports have been shut down, people lost their jobs, companies closed for good, How can one argue and joke about that Ibatch?

• Cheers 1