dank.sinatra

An abundance of options: Canucks to have fully-healthy roster for play-in series versus Minnesota

Rate this topic

8 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

Yep.  If Loui was making $3 million, he would be a decent enough player with minimal complaints.  

But as a $6 million player.... the bitter taste of not meeting expectations will overshadow anything he will ever do in a Canucks uniform.... short of him scoring series/cup winning goals.  

thats it really. 

I suspect the game plan is to go with a short bench game 1, with Loui having one of those 6 or 7 minute games where he pretty much gets PK duty. 

5 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

if we were facing Winnipeg or Calgary I think I'd want Mac in. 

As far as Loui goes i know the narrative is he stinks on ice but I've dug into the stats with him with different partners and the one thing he still does is lower shots and chances, so thats why I think Green slots him in, at least game 1. 

Also the Canucks best puck battler according to Sportlogiq's video tracking. They ran a bracket a few weeks ago - 16 best of each division but at least 1 player per team.  Eriksson the lone representative for the Canucks.  Wild had Staal, Greenway, Foligno with Koivu winning it all.  

• Hydration 1

2 hours ago, Baratheon said:

Win or lose I think this is what we need!  Petey and Hughes (among others) need to be thrown in to the fire!  Let them get smacked around a bit.  I want Petey to be giving his weight set the "death glare" all off-season (however long that is lol)

Jake is another one.  He seems like such an emotional guy that I've been very curious as to what a tough playoff series would do to him.  

Me too (Jake).  And Horvat - think he has an inner beast in him - needs the other team to wake him up though (which is perfect come playoff time).   JT Miller is for sure the best example on the team right now on what needs to be done - after the season he’s had I’m expecting great things from him too.  Both Pearson and TT will also help our team...really it has so much potential a real run wouldn’t shock me (and I’m sure hoping it will happen!).    Fingers crossed they get it done (the hurdles required to get there) something tells me this playoffs will be nothing if not spectacular if it happens for all teams involved and every series will have cool storylines. 

• Hydration 2

3 hours ago, mll said:

Also the Canucks best puck battler according to Sportlogiq's video tracking. They ran a bracket a few weeks ago - 16 best of each division but at least 1 player per team.  Eriksson the lone representative for the Canucks.  Wild had Staal, Greenway, Foligno with Koivu winning it all.  

yikes..... that explains a lot about the wild doing well in the 2nd half of the season

I get the sense that this series will benefit Vancouver if only because of the long layoff. The way I see it offense tends to be the first thing that returns, while defense takes at least half a season to get back into the groove. With our young guns I think we can overpower their defense early on and steal a couple of early wins. Hopefully that will be enough to get us into the 1st round.

Do we really have a chance at a cup run?

We’ve got plenty of experience on the team now with the vets we have which should insulate the younger players. 

Beagle, Miller, Toffoli, Pearson, Tanev, Edler, Roussel, Sutter, Myers. 

Combined with our set of younger players who are each having great seasons I think we should definitely have a chance to win some games. 

Also don’t forget that we defeated some great teams during the season and were in the majority of the games we played. 

• Like 1
  • Hydration 1
  • Burr 1

I am a little worried about this match up to be honest. I have seem quite a number of Minnesota games and from what I remember the team does a really good job stiffing a team's offensive skill ( one of Vancouver's biggest advantages ). 

• Hydration 1

15 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

yikes..... that explains a lot about the wild doing well in the 2nd half of the season

Koivu lost about 5 minutes of ice time at the end of the season compared to the start.  It's more the improvement of their young players.  It allowed to put slowing down veterans like Koivu in positions where they could still be efficient.  Even Parise lost 1:30 in ice time compared to last season.

Fenton cut through their core at the TDL a year ago.  There was also an adjustment in style of play with Fenton believing that's it's becoming a rush league, while the Wild were mostly dump and chase.

A big reason for their surge is the emergence of Fiala.  He changed the dynamic of their team.  Media, fans and even Boudreau gave him so much grief early on and he was also playing very poorly.  Now they believe he's the game breaker they've been looking for since ages.

The comparison stats posted a bit earlier in the other series thread are more concerning than puck battle wins.  Sportloqiq showed that there was no category tracked since 1 January where the Canucks generated more than they've allowed.  The Wild also generated more than the Canucks other than off the cycle and slot passes.

The Canucks have players that can convert at a high rate though - ie they need less chances to convert.  The Wild might generate more but they don't have the same high end finishers as the Canucks.  They've allowed a fair bit less but they don't have a Markstrom in net.

Over the season the Canucks led the league in goals off the cycle.  They were last in generating rush scoring chances though and allowed the 2nd most rush chances against.  Probably need to be mindful of counter-attacks with a player like Fiala who has speed and can beat goalies on clear-sighted shots from afar.

• Hydration 1

11 minutes ago, mll said:

Koivu lost about 5 minutes of ice time at the end of the season compared to the start.  It's more the improvement of their young players.  It allowed to put slowing down veterans like Koivu in positions where they could still be efficient.  Even Parise lost 1:30 in ice time compared to last season.

Fenton cut through their core at the TDL a year ago.  There was also an adjustment in style of play with Fenton believing that's it's becoming a rush league, while the Wild were mostly dump and chase.

A big reason for their surge is the emergence of Fiala.  He changed the dynamic of their team.  Media, fans and even Boudreau gave him so much grief early on and he was also playing very poorly.  Now they believe he's the game breaker they've been looking for since ages.

The comparison stats posted a bit earlier in the other series thread are more concerning than puck battle wins.  Sportloqiq showed that there was no category tracked since 1 January where the Canucks generated more than they've allowed.  The Wild also generated more than the Canucks other than off the cycle and slot passes.

The Canucks have players that can convert at a high rate though - ie they need less chances to convert.  The Wild might generate more but they don't have the same high end finishers as the Canucks.  They've allowed a fair bit less but they don't have a Markstrom in net.

Over the season the Canucks led the league in goals off the cycle.  They were last in generating rush scoring chances though and allowed the 2nd most rush chances against.  Probably need to be mindful of counter-attacks with a player like Fiala who has speed and can beat goalies on clear-sighted shots from afar.

the Canucks conversion rate will be key for sure, the shot quality is better this year than its been since 2011/12 imo. 

I do wonder how much reversion to a dump and chase game we'll see tho, given how hard its going to be to get back into a high skill game shape. That could work in our favour since we've got some bigger bodies and guys willing battle for pucks. 

12 hours ago, Setyoureyesontheprize said:

Do we really have a chance at a cup run?

We’ve got plenty of experience on the team now with the vets we have which should insulate the younger players. 

Beagle, Miller, Toffoli, Pearson, Tanev, Edler, Roussel, Sutter, Myers. 

Combined with our set of younger players who are each having great seasons I think we should definitely have a chance to win some games. 

Also don’t forget that we defeated some great teams during the season and were in the majority of the games we played. 

Yes. I have been a vocal supporter that the Canucks could win a cup this season for one reason. Markstrom. 

That guy has played out of his mind for the majority of the year, and had an extremely emotional year with the loss of his father. Playoffs can be won by a goalie, we have seen that first hand. If Markstrom catches fire, he could will the Canucks to a cup for his Dad. I firmly believe that. That guy showed incredible force of will this year with his play, and I know that must have been at least in part for his father.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, shayster007 said:

Yes. I have been a vocal supporter that the Canucks could win a cup this season for one reason. Markstrom. 

That guy has played out of his mind for the majority of the year, and had an extremely emotional year with the loss of his father. Playoffs can be won by a goalie, we have seen that first hand. If Markstrom catches fire, he could will the Canucks to a cup for his Dad. I firmly believe that. That guy showed incredible force of will this year with his play, and I know that must have been at least in part for his father.

I find this comment distasteful

• Confused 2

the Wild are an old team, maybe the oldest.

3 of our top 4 scorers have a combined age of 63

4 or their top 5 = 135

we have a current vezina candidate

they have a recent vezina candidate , who had a tough year and may have lost his job to the career back up or may come back rested and ready

Duby has 1 series win, Marky and Stalock have none

the coaches are equally inexperienced

So, I think this series comes down to whether our youth out plays their experience or do the old boys prevail

whether any of the 3 goalies really step up and steal a few games (maybe none of them do, maybe its a 4 goalie series)

and which coach proves his metal

Ultimately, do the Canucks come out with a "why not us" attitude

or do the Wild decide "this is our last kick at it, lets go out with a bang"

2 hours ago, shayster007 said:

1 hour ago, lmm said:

Huh?  Don’t see that at all.   Motivation is motivating and none of us can pretend to know what is going on in Markstroms head.   Expressing grief doesn’t have to be about becoming a sobbing mess asking for time off or something.   Markstrom has demonstrated he’s a warrior as has Brock Boeser ... and I’m pretty sure the person your posting against has a point. He didn’t quit on us this year or ask for time off.   Instead he held the Fort night in night out - like a warrior.  I’m  curious - what exactly is distasteful about this post?

• Thanks 1

Assuming everyone is healthy then I go with this for the opening game lineup:

Miller Pettersson Boeser

Pearson Horvat Toffoli

Roussel Sutter Virtanen

Ferland Beagle Motte

Hughes Tanev

Edler Stecher

Fantenberg Myers

Markstrom

Some good depth and replacement options:

Gaudette, MacEwen, Leivo, Baertschi, Eriksson

Benn, Rafferty, Brisebois

Demko

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BigTramFan said:

Assuming everyone is healthy then I go with this for the opening game lineup:

Miller Pettersson Boeser

Pearson Horvat Toffoli

Roussel Sutter Virtanen

Ferland Beagle Motte

Hughes Tanev

Edler Stecher

Fantenberg Myers

Markstrom

Some good depth and replacement options:

Gaudette, MacEwen, Leivo, Baertschi, Eriksson

Benn, Rafferty, Brisebois

Demko

I like that lineup.  As much as I like Gaudette and see him as a good player for us in the future, I'd rather see a healthy Sutter at 3C for a playoff run right now.  I like Ferland in the lineup assuming of course he's fully recovered and ready to go.  With such a lot of talent that is going to have to be left off this team, at least to start (there are going to be injuries), Motte looks like he should sit but I think that he has earned his place on the team with consistent high energy play that will be a valuable spark in the playoffs.  I like this lineup to not only do well in the first series against Minnesota but maybe turn some heads after that too.  Go Canucks Go!

• Hydration 1

In order of ice time

Pearson, Horvat, Toffoli

Miller, Pettersson, Boeser

Eriksson, Sutter, Virtanen

Roussel, Beagle, Motte

Edler, Tanev

Hughes, Meyers

Benn/Fantenberg, Stecher

Markstrom

• Upvote 1

On 6/2/2020 at 2:42 AM, iinatcc said:

I am a little worried about this match up to be honest. I have seem quite a number of Minnesota games and from what I remember the team does a really good job stiffing a team's offensive skill ( one of Vancouver's biggest advantages ). 

This.

I mean theres a reason Minny has a great record against us, but I feel like theres a reason we finished where we did - above them.

This is by no means a 'gimme' series, but it is a great opportunity for our boys to prove they belong in the playoffs - and come into them with some momentum.

Or if we cant beat Minny, we shouldnt be there yet.. take our first round pick and hope next years pick is near the bottom.

• Upvote 2

On 6/2/2020 at 11:49 AM, lmm said:

Care to explain why?

Last time the Canucks played the Wild they were pushed around and had their lunch money stolen. The Canucks need Ferland , Motte, and MacEwan in this series. 

On 6/1/2020 at 3:29 PM, IBatch said:

Me too (Jake).  And Horvat - think he has an inner beast in him - needs the other team to wake him up though (which is perfect come playoff time).   JT Miller is for sure the best example on the team right now on what needs to be done - after the season he’s had I’m expecting great things from him too.  Both Pearson and TT will also help our team...really it has so much potential a real run wouldn’t shock me (and I’m sure hoping it will happen!).    Fingers crossed they get it done (the hurdles required to get there) something tells me this playoffs will be nothing if not spectacular if it happens for all teams involved and every series will have cool storylines. 

I can see Petterson turning into a Peter Forsberg type player in the playoffs.

He's not built like it yet, but his physical game in season 2 has been light years ahead of 1.

This break could very well have been like a whole summer off for him, and we see Petey in 3rd year form come playoffs.

You can see that IDGAF fire in his eyes at times, and he'll go to war to win when it really matters.