The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

An abundance of options: Canucks to have fully-healthy roster for play-in series versus Minnesota

Rate this topic

dank.sinatra

On 6/5/2020 at 12:07 AM, RWMc1 said:

The last time we played them we out shot them 34-28 and out hit them 27-21. Miller scored a couple in the third to give us a lead and Galchenyuk tied it with four and a bit to go. We lost in the shoot-out 4-3.

Benning said that Leivo and Ferland weren't ready yet. There's still time for them to get ready. That would change things.

Minnesota plays a tight game and we need the guys that are dependable defensively as well as bring physicality. I put in Lou because of his experience. 

If they're aiming for a mid-late July start, I'd bet both will be ready by then.

30 minutes ago, stawns said:

If they're aiming for a mid-late July start, I'd bet both will be ready by then.

If the season starts after July 15th, Loui will have had his bonus paid. I wonder if we'll see him papered to Utica if we need the cap space to bring these guys back and put other players on our 28 man roster? 

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

If the season starts after July 15th, Loui will have had his bonus paid. I wonder if we'll see him papered to Utica if we need the cap space to bring these guys back and put other players on our 28 man roster? 

The regular season is over - there is no cap counting from this point onwards.  Some teams are already done.  

Don't think a demotion is even possible as there's a roster freeze and the AHL season is finished.   Don't really see why they wouldn't have him among the 28 skaters.  

Edited by mll
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, mll said:

The regular season is over - there is no cap counting from this point onwards.  Some teams are already done.  

Don't think a demotion is even possible as there's a roster freeze and the AHL season is finished.   Don't really see why they wouldn't have him among the 28 skaters.  

send a message maybe that things are done for him here? make room for others from Utica that could be more productive? those are two reasons i can think of. 

I don't see why he couldn't be papered to Utica from a technical pov since we can bring guys up from there. 

5 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

send a message maybe that things are done for him here? make room for others from Utica that could be more productive? those are two reasons i can think of. 

I don't see why he couldn't be papered to Utica from a technical pov since we can bring guys up from there. 

There is a roster freeze in effect.  There is also nowhere to be demoted to.  

3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

so does that mean we can call guys up but not send them down?

There's no roster limit for the playoffs and no cap past the regular season.  This year they've put a limit to 28 skaters because of the pandemic.  

Fwiw there were apparently initial discussions of only allowing those expanded roster players / black aces to play only if there were no healthy roster player left  They've decided otherwise and any of the 28 skaters can suit up.  

Given the roster freeze and those initial discussions I don't think teams can remove roster players.  

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

4 hours ago, mll said:

There's no roster limit for the playoffs and no cap past the regular season.  This year they've put a limit to 28 skaters because of the pandemic.  

Fwiw there were apparently initial discussions of only allowing those expanded roster players / black aces to play only if there were no healthy roster player left  They've decided otherwise and any of the 28 skaters can suit up.  

Given the roster freeze and those initial discussions I don't think teams can remove roster players.  

ah OK. So add but not subtract. 

That doesn't annoy me as much as not allowing ELCs to sign, but I guess they have to try to keep things as competitive as possible. 

Where does Nils Hoglander fit into all of this potentially?

Does he get to practice with the black aces and go in when the Canucks have injuries or are down and out in the series?

Maybe this play in scenario with everybody being rusty is a good time to get Hoglander some NHL experience to see where he is at going into next season.

Win or Lose either scenario is ok for the Canucks. Keep their draft pick or play a few more games.

Without crowds being allowed I don't know if there will be much of a playoff like atmosphere to really benefit from.

The games themselves will probably lack intensity and sharpness from the jump making it a perfect time to get some experience for younger players if you are one of the teams not expecting to do anything in the playoffs.

3 hours ago, Chip Kelly said:

Does he get to practice with the black aces and go in when the Canucks have injuries or are down and out in the series?

Maybe this play in scenario with everybody being rusty is a good time to get Hoglander some NHL experience to see where he is at going into next season.

Win or Lose either scenario is ok for the Canucks. Keep their draft pick or play a few more games.

Without crowds being allowed I don't know if there will be much of a playoff like atmosphere to really benefit from.

The games themselves will probably lack intensity and sharpness from the jump making it a perfect time to get some experience for younger players if you are one of the teams not expecting to do anything in the playoffs.

I think the primary focus should be the get the nucleus of the team into the playoffs to get them playoff experience. While it would be nice to think of our prospects in all of this, we're not going to be able to give everyone experience if everyone is healthy.

We should do what we can to win the playin round first and foremost. I don't really see how it would make sense to add him in unless if we really needed him at this time, but who knows.

Edited by The Lock
  • Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, Chip Kelly said:

Hoglander's contract has already been filed with the league and starts next season per CapFriendly.  He can't be a black ace.  The league is limiting the number of players to 28 (F+Ds) and overall staff to 50 per team given the pandemic.

• Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

ah OK. So add but not subtract. 

That doesn't annoy me as much as not allowing ELCs to sign, but I guess they have to try to keep things as competitive as possible. 

The NHLPA has picked up that no ELC signing fight.  It's a CBA negotiated rule and they aren't willing to just let the league unilaterally change it.  

Should we win vs Minny Mild: PO's..cool, that's what they set out for, as last fall's goal. Great exp for young nucleus. The NJ 1st(from Miller trade) will likely take yrs to make the bigs, & this will further underscore the brilliance of the June 2019 deal.

Should we lose: It's probable that the piece/pick we wind up with(from this draft; even maybe a lotto pick) will be better than whatever we would have gained from next season's hypothetical 2021 1st rounder. Also the 2020 pick will be closer in age to our young core.

With both outcomes having their Canuck-merits, should make for relatively stress-free viewing.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

6 hours ago, mll said:

The NHLPA has picked up that no ELC signing fight.  It's a CBA negotiated rule and they aren't willing to just let the league unilaterally change it.  

oh, thats great. I hope that stays in. TBH I don't understand why Daly is so against it, other than maybe Boston and a couple of others don't have any prospects this year that are difference makers. 

On 6/3/2020 at 9:39 PM, Davathor said:

This.

I mean theres a reason Minny has a great record against us, but I feel like theres a reason we finished where we did - above them.

This is by no means a 'gimme' series, but it is a great opportunity for our boys to prove they belong in the playoffs - and come into them with some momentum.

Or if we cant beat Minny, we shouldnt be there yet.. take our first round pick and hope next years pick is near the bottom.

I agree if we cant beat Minny there are a lot better teams we will see in the first real round. We should be able to beat them unless Marky regresses...or the D cant keep up to their speedsters.

Edited by mikeyman109

16 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Wonder who get the third line spot with Gaudette and Jake. Roussel / Sutter / Motte / Ferland (if healthy).

Maybe you move Jake to LW & put Sutter on RW. Depending on where Roussel is at he might be the best player of the group.

Ferland Sutter Jake

Leivo Sutter Jake

Depending on which guy is healthy 

18 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Wonder who get the third line spot with Gaudette and Jake. Roussel / Sutter / Motte / Ferland (if healthy).

Maybe you move Jake to LW & put Sutter on RW. Depending on where Roussel is at he might be the best player of the group.

I think Green can go 1 of 2 ways.  Give him Sutter because Gaudette is not so good on face offs or more likely, Roussel because he's better on the wall.  I think that in open play, on the wall, Roussel is a better compliment.

Green had been putting Sutter on the 4th line with Beagle and Motte in more of a match up / possession role

Ferland for me, plays a similar role to Roussel and is probably better at it when healthy and as such would be better in the top 6.  I fear that Ferland is kidding himself that he can play his old style though

• Cheers 1

Sutter usually plays his best early in the season before injuries hit him.

Im pretty sure a healthy Sutter gets the nod over Gaudette. 

Maybe Gaudette plays wing on the fourth or draws in and out based on how the series is going.

Good problem to have either way.

• Cheers 2