The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] NHL Return To Play Thread (24 team play off, 15 team draft lottery)

Rate this topic

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

I’m pretty sure Kaprizov and Sorokin are signing 1 year deals in the KHL for next season no?

Doubt they come over even if they could.

Not according to them.  Both want to sign with their NHL teams.  Kaprisov has a NHL agent and is in regular contact with Guerin.   Even their KHL team knew that they weren't planning on coming back but the NHL changed the rules.  They don't want to wait until next December or even now January to play though, so there is a risk that now they delay coming over for another full year.  

7 hours ago, ruilin96 said:

playoff rules, so yes it will

Bettman said no, it will be regular season rules so 3 on 3 then shootout.

The preliminary round is not part of the playoffs, only the winning 8 make the playoffs, the rest go into the draft lottery.

Edited by Dumb Nuck
  • Wat 1

4 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

Imagine a Cup decided by 'circus time'.  Hope they don't do this for the actual playoffs.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

7 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Imagine a Cup decided by 'circus time'.  Hope they don't do this for the actual playoffs.

The rest of the rounds will be regular overtime, just the preliminary round won’t. 

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Dumb Nuck said:

The preliminary round is not part of the playoffs, only the winning 8 make the playoffs, the rest go into the draft lottery.

No play in series is playoff overtime rule. It is the top 8 teams who were locked for the playoffs will play preliminary games to decide seeding.

17 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Don't see many players participating in phase 2.  Their protocol is just so restrictive.  Cities are opening up and ice rinks are starting to be available.  Players are more likely going to make their own arrangements and train with less limitations.  Per Russo most players from Europe aren't coming back for phase 2, at least not on the Wild.  Doubt it will be any different for other teams as their countries are either already open like in Sweden or opening up.

Gaudette has found a rink with gym in NJ and has already been on the ice for several weeks.  Returning to Vancouver to join phase 2 would have him forced to quarantine for 2 weeks.  

Boeser told Russo he drove to South Dakota last week with some friend to attend a pro-training camp.  He'll start skating next week with a several NHLers in a suburban rink.  

Minnesota has plenty of NHLers - it's the state with the most.  Most train and play together in the Beauty League over the summer.  Would think that they'll make arrangements like they've always done in the summer and just skip using the Wild's facilities.  According to Russo Flyers' JvR has so far been the only player asking to use the Wild's facility.  

Not sure how accessible St Paul is either given the riots.  Minnesota were heavy favourites to be a hub city - probably not the case anymore.  

Edited by mll

13 hours ago, ruilin96 said:

No play in series is playoff overtime rule. It is the top 8 teams who were locked for the playoffs will play preliminary games to decide seeding.

13 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Not true.

Bettman said himself it’s playoff overtime rules.

My bad, you are correct, the preliminary round for the 16 teams trying to qualify will be overtime until there is a winner. The round robin for seeding of the top 8 will be regular season rules.

• Cheers 1

Unless my math is wrong. NBC/Sportsnet TV deals work out to $22.58 million per team annually. ($700 million total).

There is no way the NHL is going to run next season with $80 million salary cap when you are making a little over 1/4 that in revenue.

If the NHL is lucky the league will be allowed to have 1/3 to 1/2 full arenas. Until the second wave is gone.

So at best Canadian cities will earn $26.4 million.

So there's either going to have to be compliance buyouts, or rollbacks on salaries, or combination of both.

Or a paycut for 3 years, then a lump sum of the difference on year 4, that is not effecting escrow or salary cap.

This is going to be a nightmare for players and owners after this playoff ends.

On 5/28/2020 at 1:26 PM, Timbermen said:

I heard playoff beards won't be allowed. This is just stupid, no one wants to watch playoff hockey without playoff beards. I demand that no hockey be played this summer !!!:rolleyes:

Who put Lou Lamoriello in charge?

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Unless my math is wrong. NBC/Sportsnet TV deals work out to $22.58 million per team annually. ($700 million total).

There is no way the NHL is going to run next season with $80 million salary cap when you are making a little over 1/4 that in revenue.

If the NHL is lucky the league will be allowed to have 1/3 to 1/2 full arenas. Until the second wave is gone.

So at best Canadian cities will earn $26.4 million.

So there's either going to have to be compliance buyouts, or rollbacks on salaries, or combination of both.

Or a paycut for 3 years, then a lump sum of the difference on year 4, that is not effecting escrow or salary cap.

This is going to be a nightmare for players and owners after this playoff ends.

1/8th.  Revenue is split 50/50 between players / owners.  

It's a 5 billion dollar league.  Rough proxy 31 teams x salary cap x  2

Compliance buyouts have a cost and owners are already losing money.  Per Friedman more and more executives are saying that owners don't want compliance buyouts as they don't want the extra cost.  Compliance buyouts increase escrow - don't see players wanting them either.

They'll probably operate on an artificial cap and find a mechanism to make up for the losses over time.

Edited by mll
  • Upvote 1

On 5/28/2020 at 4:32 AM, Dumb Nuck said:

Where did I ever say I wanted a riot? Not wanting a cup because you’re worried about one makes no sense, might as well just move the team. Besides, the riots were after we lost.

Pretty sure there would have been a riot in 2011 even if we won. We'll never know for sure though...

32 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

I'd still prefer Ferland take the rest of the year off for his long term health. 

Personally I'm leaning towards him hanging em up.  He has to play a certain way to be effective and another concussion is a matter of time with that style.  But he is an adult and can make his own decision; I didn't appreciate Gillis making that call for Malhotra and I would be a hypocrite if I suggested the Canucks should do the same for Ferland.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2