The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] NHL Return To Play Thread (24 team play off, 15 team draft lottery)

Rate this topic

15 hours ago, drummerboy said:

Hart trophy 

Art Ross twice

Ted Lindsay 

Internationally McDavid played for the Canadian national junior team at one World U18 Championship, two World Junior Championships, and for the senior team at one World Championship, winning one gold at every level.

All the kid has done is win his whole career until getting to Edmonton, where even then, he is doing everything possible to help the team.  
It’s not his fault 1 person can’t win a cup. 
Edmonton is one of the biggest dog pooh teams ever. 

You are entitled to think he isn’t a winner, but you are wrong. 

Winning individual trophies does not make a winner. We should know that, our team has never won. However, we've had plenty of our players and coaches win awards. It doesn't matter at the end of the day. McDavid will never win a professional trophy.

The best thing he'll win will be Olympic Gold because Canada is the best hockey development country in the world. Our bottom 6 is close to most top 6's at that level. Winning WJC's and WC's is always a great feeling, but doesn't really add to that winner pedigree. The proof is that the Canada USA Russia Sweden etc... rosters for WC's every year are filled by people who LOST in the NHL.

McDavid is not a winner. He's never had that mindset, he's been in the league for 5 seasons, nothing indicates it'll change. His temperament and his attitude reeks of entitlement and league-wide favoritism. I don't want that player ANYWHERE near Boeser, Hughes, Demko and our young core. I'd much rather have Pettersson. 

However, you are entitled to thinking that he is a winner. But you'd be wrong.

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

4 hours ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Winning individual trophies does not make a winner. We should know that, our team has never won. However, we've had plenty of our players and coaches win awards. It doesn't matter at the end of the day. McDavid will never win a professional trophy.

The best thing he'll win will be Olympic Gold because Canada is the best hockey development country in the world. Our bottom 6 is close to most top 6's at that level. Winning WJC's and WC's is always a great feeling, but doesn't really add to that winner pedigree. The proof is that the Canada USA Russia Sweden etc... rosters for WC's every year are filled by people who LOST in the NHL.

McDavid is not a winner. He's never had that mindset, he's been in the league for 5 seasons, nothing indicates it'll change. His temperament and his attitude reeks of entitlement and league-wide favoritism. I don't want that player ANYWHERE near Boeser, Hughes, Demko and our young core. I'd much rather have Pettersson. 

You provided opinion.  I provided fact.  

I hope you are right in saying all he will win is olympic gold, because I never want to see Edmonton win another cup, but it’s like you ignored the part where he has won at every level he has played.  
Where did you get a chance to talk to him about his mindset?  That’s incredible!

Also, will you invite me next time you get to spend time in the dressing room with the oilers?   I’d love to see what you say, how he is horrible for the room and for young teammates.  I thought he was the captain, but maybe he is a total cancer.

The kid has always been a winner.  Edmonton is the only reason for that ending.  

I love Petey.  He is great, but how many times has he hit PPG?   
McD cleared it in his rookie season, then over 100points every year since.  

You can call him  ‘whingy’ all you want,  the kid is the best player in the world and to say our yet to hit 70 points kid is more valuable to a team is ridiculous.  

Edited by drummerboy

6 hours ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Everyone said the same things about Ovi in his 13 or whatever years before he won the cup, now he’s a winner and everyones opinions on him changed. As much as I hate it, McDavid will win a cup in the same way (preferably not with edmonton)

Honestly not disagreeing with you, hes not a winner yet, but that can change as it did for Ovi

3 hours ago, drummerboy said:

You provided opinion.  I provided fact.  

I hope you are right in saying all he will win is olympic gold, because I never want to see Edmonton win another cup, but it’s like you ignored the part where he has won at every level he has played.  
Where did you get a chance to talk to him about his mindset?  That’s incredible!

Also, will you invite me next time you get to spend time in the dressing room with the oilers?   I’d love to see what you say, how he is horrible for the room and for young teammates.  I thought he was the captain, but maybe he is a total cancer.

The kid has always been a winner.  Edmonton is the only reason for that ending.  

I love Petey.  He is great, but how many times has he hit PPG?   
McD cleared it in his rookie season, then over 100points every year since.  

You can call him  ‘whingy’ all you want,  the kid is the best player in the world and to say our yet to hit 70 points kid is more valuable to a team is ridiculous.  

I provided what my eyes tell me the 4 times a year we play Edmonton. The guy runs around cheap-shotting everything that moves, hides behind his teammates and constantly cries to the refs. I don't want that anywhere near the team I love.

At that rate, every single player that's won a wjc and wc is an accomplished winner? That's funny because Ovechkin for example wasn't considered a true winner until 2 years ago, yet he had won many titles with the Russian national team. There's an incredible difference between winning something like an AHL or NHL championship, or even a CHL championship, NCAA title, SHL, Liiga etc.... than a tournament. McDavid won in 7 game tournaments on a team that was beyond the level of competition. He was probably the best player on that team, for sure; but that doesn't count for me as being a winner. Plenty of WJC winners have ended up being absolute losers at the nhl level and barely ever sniffed the playoffs. 

Pettersson lead a pro swedish team to a national title as a 18/19 yo. He came into this team and didn't accept losing. The guy has that drive when we're down and not many players have that. A lot of high skilled players have never had that drive. 

You say McDavid averages 100 points, that's amazing.

You know how many points our leading scorer had in 2011? 104

You know how many points the Bruins leading scorer had in 2011? 62. 

Regular season scoring doesn't correlate perfectly with playoff performance. It definitely hasn't done anything for McDavid in 5 years. Want proof? 

McDavid's regular season PPG : 1.336

McDavid's Playoff PPG : 0.69

I'll take Pettersson, you can have McDavid.

I expect this is something happening across the league, I know at the beginning of the pandemic there were layoffs of arena staff impacted by games cancelled, but this is a bigger hit as it involves more people likely working full time jobs in admin/marketing type jobs.  

Although I am happy in general for hockey being...and especially for a shot at either playoff hockey or the #1 pick but...

I know this horse carcass has been beaten up so much...I think the NHL really dropped the ball on how this "play-in" is being done. Right now both Chicago and Montreal are poised for meaningful games, something that NEVER would have happened save for COVID. So, in my opinion (for what that's worth) I think the NHL should have had 2 separate tournaments:

1 for the top 6 teams in each conference (5 games each team) to set the seedings for round 1;

then 1 for the bottom 6 in each conference to fight for the remaining 2 spots (with any tie in places 2 and 3 going automatically to the higher finishing team from the regular season). 

Let's face it, MTL & CHI were never battling with PIT & EDM for a playoff spot...they were battling lower seeded teams. Now a higher seeded team might not even "officially" get a chance to play (whereas in ANY other season they would have at least gotten to RD1). Sure, LA won the cup as the #8 seed, but they don't even get a shot if they were #9.

On 7/11/2020 at 5:07 PM, King Heffy said:

They also got a new CBA with fewer games lost than any other negotiation during Bettman's tenure.  This won't ruin 2 seasons any more than the previous issues caused by a bad commissioner refusing to negotiate like an adult.

Edited by cory40

On 8/6/2020 at 6:48 AM, ABNuck said:

Although I am happy in general for hockey being...and especially for a shot at either playoff hockey or the #1 pick but...

I know this horse carcass has been beaten up so much...I think the NHL really dropped the ball on how this "play-in" is being done. Right now both Chicago and Montreal are poised for meaningful games, something that NEVER would have happened save for COVID. So, in my opinion (for what that's worth) I think the NHL should have had 2 separate tournaments:

1 for the top 6 teams in each conference (5 games each team) to set the seedings for round 1;

then 1 for the bottom 6 in each conference to fight for the remaining 2 spots (with any tie in places 2 and 3 going automatically to the higher finishing team from the regular season). 

Let's face it, MTL & CHI were never battling with PIT & EDM for a playoff spot...they were battling lower seeded teams. Now a higher seeded team might not even "officially" get a chance to play (whereas in ANY other season they would have at least gotten to RD1). Sure, LA won the cup as the #8 seed, but they don't even get a shot if they were #9.

I don't agree and I think the NHL nailed it under the circumstances. There were surprises but there would of been anyways. There are usually a few surprises going into seasons end with where teams finish in or out of the playoffs.

On 8/15/2020 at 8:25 AM, rekker said:

I don't agree and I think the NHL nailed it under the circumstances. There were surprises but there would of been anyways. There are usually a few surprises going into seasons end with where teams finish in or out of the playoffs.

For sure there are surprises, but to just see who qualifies for the playoffs usually just comes down to the 2 wildcard spots anyways...so a tournament between spots 7 through 12 in each conference, battling out for the 2 wildcard spots, would have been the most likely scenario had the season carried on...I think it would have given the most likely outcome similar to what really would have happened. And more realistic because those wild card and bubble teams would have been battling each other in the regular season so the mini tournament would have duplicated that battle.

Plus any stats that were accumulated could have just been added on to the regular season stats and would have given a "cleaner" and more traditional and comparable statbook on this year's playoffs...as of right now there WILL have to be an asterisk beside any record broken (ie/ somebody scores 19 goals but they took 4 more games to do it than in any other playoff year). Apples to apples.

Another flaw is that now CHI and MTL have no shot at the #1 draft pick...something probably needed more than just a round of playoff experience. That #1 draft pick would have far further reaching value in the long run.

But as they say...it is what it is...

• Cheers 1