The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] NHL Return To Play Thread (24 team play off, 15 team draft lottery)

Rate this topic

2 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

If the games are played at "hub" cities. And there's many games in a row. Can an arena have decent ice in summer in a setup like this? Or will it be like skating on a slushy?

That's what worries me about cities like Vegas. I think whichever cities they choose should have a couple of arenas to play in, reduce the wear on the ice, get a couple more games in each day. Kinda strengthens the argument for Vancouver. (RA, PC, UBC) 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Chickenspear said:

That's what worries me about cities like Vegas. I think whichever cities they choose should have a couple of arenas to play in, reduce the wear on the ice, get a couple more games in each day. Kinda strengthens the argument for Vancouver. (RA, PC, UBC) 

They are using existing arenas for the games.  Costs too much to re-set up all the cameras and arrange the settings to NHL standard + there is the whole sanitisation issue.  Teams are going to be in and out of locker rooms and NHL arenas already have the technology and protocols in place.

Canada won't be a hub city unless government lifts the 14 day quarantine requirement.  It's believed that if the league can play in Canada their preferred destination would be Edmonton in the West. The Oilers have their own practice facility, there is direct access from the hotel to the arena - easier to preserve the bubble.    

Might not be feasible but the league would also prefer the local team not play at home.  Reason why LA has emerged as a potential hub.  

Would think that Vegas is more of a late round option than a hub for the play-ins and 1st couple of rounds.  Not sure there is enough ice for 12 teams + their black aces.  

9 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

If the games are played at "hub" cities. And there's many games in a row. Can an arena have decent ice in summer in a setup like this? Or will it be like skating on a slushy?

Without the heat the fans give off the ice will be much easier to maintain

7 hours ago, mll said:

They are using existing arenas for the games.  Costs too much to re-set up all the cameras and arrange the settings to NHL standard + there is the whole sanitisation issue.  Teams are going to be in and out of locker rooms and NHL arenas already have the technology and protocols in place.

Canada won't be a hub city unless government lifts the 14 day quarantine requirement.  It's believed that if the league can play in Canada their preferred destination would be Edmonton in the West. The Oilers have their own practice facility, there is direct access from the hotel to the arena - easier to preserve the bubble.    

Might not be feasible but the league would also prefer the local team not play at home.  Reason why LA has emerged as a potential hub.  

Would think that Vegas is more of a late round option than a hub for the play-ins and 1st couple of rounds.  Not sure there is enough ice for 12 teams + their black aces.  

I think with what's going on down south you have to consider Canada as the only viable option.  Massive civil unrest and a likely 2nd wave as a result in a few weeks.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

12 hours ago, King Heffy said:

I think with what's going on down south you have to consider Canada as the only viable option.  Massive civil unrest and a likely 2nd wave as a result in a few weeks.

70-80% of cases apparently present themselves in the first 7 days of transmission and there’s so far been zero talk about covid in the US all. Protests are already going on 7 days. Combine that with all the scientific literature debunking outdoor transmission I am not sure there’s going to be the spike the media feared. 

When Florida, Georgia, and Texas opened there was media hysteria about how cases were going to sky rocket and it’s been a month with zero mention. The outrage over the party at the ozark. From that party one confirmed case and it wasn’t traced back to party. Not to make this a Covid debate but the media’s moved on from it and it really feels like old news at this point. 

4 hours ago, NucksCelts said:

70-80% of cases apparently present themselves in the first 7 days of transmission and there’s so far been zero talk about covid in the US all. Protests are already going on 7 days. Combine that with all the scientific literature debunking outdoor transmission I am not sure there’s going to be the spike the media feared. 

When Florida, Georgia, and Texas opened there was media hysteria about how cases were going to sky rocket and it’s been a month with zero mention. The outrage over the party at the ozark. From that party one confirmed case and it wasn’t traced back to party. Not to make this a Covid debate but the media’s moved on from it and it really feels like old news at this point. 

I believe it is 10  to 14 days.

On 6/5/2020 at 3:11 AM, mll said:

Players were informed that training camp won't start before 10 July - could be later.  Players were talking of training camp of at least 3 weeks to have sufficient time to get back in game shape to limit injuries.  Games more likely to start in August.  Finals will likely be played in October.

Next season won't start before December/January regardless of whether this season is completed or not.  The league doesn't want to start next season until they can have fans in the stands - it's not viable otherwise.

no way there will be fans in the stands for at least another year. sucks but i just cannot see fans being able to attend a game for a very long time 

11 hours ago, Hectic said:

no way there will be fans in the stands for at least another year. sucks but i just cannot see fans being able to attend a game for a very long time 

Ya too bad the rest of the continent wasn't showing numbers like here in BC.

Might have a lockout type year next year and then in 2021 it will be the inaugural season of the Seattle Riot.

Too soon?

the USA is a total disaster 
They should just write This year off. Start fresh in September/October. 

By pushing this season into September and starting next year in December they’re basically screwing up two seasons instead of just one.

Be done With it already.

1 hour ago, Tracksuit said:

By pushing this season into September and starting next year in December they’re basically screwing up two seasons instead of just one.

Be done With it already.

They're choosing to finish the season that was 80% of the way done, rather than assuming that next season will just begin in October like normal (spoilers: it won't. Even if they just ended this season, there still won't be fans in stands in October)

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Tracksuit said:

Be done With it already.

Next season won't start on time whether this season is completed or not.  There are talks of starting in January.   It's not viable for the league to operate without fans in the stands and some owners don't think the league should resume until they can.

They estimate the losses at about 1 billion if this season isn't completed - it's a 5 billion dollar league. They think they can get back some 300-500M by playing.  It's still going to be a considerable loss.

• Cheers 1

The Flames are making plans to hold their training camp in the US.  Benning suggested that it could be a possibility for the Canucks too.  Bill Daly said that putting a hub in Canada is off the table if the government doesn't relax the 14 day quarantine rule.  

Due to the Canadian federal government’s 14-day quarantine orders for those entering the country, the Calgary Flames are making plans to hold their training camp in the United States.

“We’ve been looking at that for quite a long time – we’re well down the path,” said Flames GM Brad Treliving Tuesday.

“The logistics have been worked on for a camp in the U.S., if need be. I don’t want guys coming back to Calgary and sitting on their butts for two weeks in their condos and being out of shape when it’s time to go again. It may make more sense for us to have camp in the U.S. so we can have guys together quicker and being productive. The quarantine issue is a big one.”

On 6/6/2020 at 12:53 PM, bree2 said:

I believe it is 10  to 14 days.

The median average for incubation is 5.1 days. Over 70% of people incubate the virus in 5-7 days and 97.5% of people incubate it in 10.5 days. The longest incubation period documented is 14 days and it’s rare it takes that long. Less than 2.5% of people. By now the spike should be happening.