The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] NHL Return To Play Thread (24 team play off, 15 team draft lottery)

Rate this topic

10 hours ago, coho8888 said:

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/las-vegas-nhl-hub-city

If true, I'm wondering what the ice conditions are going to be like in Vegas in August?

Modern buildings are pretty well insulated and HVAC in Vegas is likely pretty standard heavy duty grade. And without the heat and humidity of +/- 18,000 fans in the building, it really shouldn't be seen issue.

• Like 1

On 6/11/2020 at 10:58 PM, coho8888 said:

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/las-vegas-nhl-hub-city

If true, I'm wondering what the ice conditions are going to be like in Vegas in August?

I’m more wondering what the COVID-19 conditions will be like in Vegas by August?

Clark County (Vegas) reported 1018 new cases in just the last seven days!

CA95C023-4D70-41E6-8DB0-3303ADADF541.jpeg.7775019eb4bc5a7ed8c71f7474ce3b9a.jpeg

To-date: 8314 cases total. 377 deaths.

http://www.southernnevadahealthdistrict.org/covid-19-dashboard/

Just for comparison, Vancouver Coastal Health serves a similarly sized population to Clark County.

Our numbers? 922 total cases. 87 deaths. And since as far back as May, new cases for Vancouver Coastal have been running at <10 per day (some days at zero).

https://experience.arcgis.com/experience/a6f23959a8b14bfa989e3cda29297ded

(And here are some graphs, just for a quick visual comparison)

B75AFF52-E989-4F1C-9970-9F6F215BCB2F.jpeg.4180776e89cb085737ff77415f832739.jpeg

D11E81E5-C100-4239-96EE-B5C411E855C5.jpeg.ad98b566ffa3ebd82d624dfcfc7dae26.jpeg

I know which city I’d rather be in right now.

Vancouver remains a front runner for the second hub. Hopefully our boys will get to play in the city with the second graph.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Cheers 2

Toronto is apparently the preferred 2nd hub city provided the quarantine rule gets adjusted.   

Chris Johnston on Sportsnet:  "Ideally, the NHL would like to have a Canadian city serve as a hub alongside Vegas, but that won’t be finalized until the federal government makes a ruling. Toronto is the preferred destination, assuming the quarantine issue can be managed."

Vancouver was probably never serious contenders with the league focused early on Vegas.  It was unlikely that they would want 2 hubs that far west.  Vancouver, Vegas and Arizona are the only 3 teams out of the 24 sharing that time zone.   It's a problem for viewership in the Eastern conference.  Even the West has most teams stationed further east.  

The league wants players to just go to the rink and back in their hotel rooms to avoid external contact.

That's why via Friedman in his 31 thoughts:  "One NHL player indicated that one of the things he and his teammates brought up was whether or not three or four restaurants at each hub could be “bought” for the duration so that only players and their families could go there. No general public, just them. The idea was to have somewhere else to go besides the rinks and the hotel."

Edited by mll

4 hours ago, mll said:

Toronto is apparently the preferred 2nd hub city provided the quarantine rule gets adjusted.   

Chris Johnston on Sportsnet:  "Ideally, the NHL would like to have a Canadian city serve as a hub alongside Vegas, but that won’t be finalized until the federal government makes a ruling. Toronto is the preferred destination, assuming the quarantine issue can be managed."

Vancouver was probably never serious contenders with the league focused early on Vegas.  It was unlikely that they would want 2 hubs that far west.  Vancouver, Vegas and Arizona are the only 3 teams out of the 24 sharing that time zone.   It's a problem for viewership in the Eastern conference.  Even the West has most teams stationed further east.  

The league wants players to just go to the rink and back in their hotel rooms to avoid external contact.

That's why via Friedman in his 31 thoughts:  "One NHL player indicated that one of the things he and his teammates brought up was whether or not three or four restaurants at each hub could be “bought” for the duration so that only players and their families could go there. No general public, just them. The idea was to have somewhere else to go besides the rinks and the hotel."

If they're playing multiple games a day, as reported, I'm not sure why the time zone of the hub city would particularly matter?

Just have the Eastern teams play the earlier games.

If anything that would tend to make more sense to have them out West without having players starting games at 10pm Eastern time for West coast audiences.

Never mind the far lower instances of covid here vs Ontario.

15 minutes ago, aGENT said:

If they're playing multiple games a day, as reported, I'm not sure why the time zone of the hub city would particularly matter?

Just have the Eastern teams play the earlier games.

If anything that would tend to make more sense to have them out West without having players starting games at 10pm Eastern time for West coast audiences.

Never mind the far lower instances of covid here vs Ontario.

Each conference is in one hub.  They could be playing 3 games per day per hub.  It's not really feasible to have games for the Eastern conference starting at 8pm Vancouver time - that's 11pm out East.

• Cheers 2

52 minutes ago, stawns said:

I still think this is either happening in Canada or it's not happening.  The US numbers are starting to really ramp up again and Americans are tired of dealing with Covid

Vegas has apparently already been approved.  The league is setting up a bubble where players can't go outside of that bubble.  They apparently have arrangements were the hotels would be for the NHL alone.  They will be isolated from the outside world and can only move around within the boundaries of that bubble.  

@aGENT

Fwiw Russo does think that Vancouver is a good possibility because of the ability to set up that bubble.  It's also why LA is apparently a possible location.

Training camp is set for 10 July and players coming back from Europe will have to quarantine for 14 days.  The protocol has to be approved within the next 2 weeks.  It will go through a full player vote.  

Edited by mll
  • Cheers 1

Makes sense that Vegas is a hub (despite their covid numbers) as their hotels are almost like mini cities.

I'm not sure where they could make that "bubble" here in Vancouver though. Are there hotel zones here that don't have residents around it near the rinks? Would they close off Stanley Park or something to allow the players and their families to be able to go somewhere outdoors? Hotels have their own restaurants, so I don't think food would be an issue.

23 minutes ago, mll said:

Vegas has apparently already been approved.  The league is setting up a bubble where players can't go outside of that bubble.  They apparently have arrangements were the hotels would be for the NHL alone.  They will be isolated from the outside world and can only move around within the boundaries of that bubble.  

@aGENT

Fwiw Russo does think that Vancouver is a good possibility because of the ability to set up that bubble.  It's also why LA is apparently a possible location.

Training camp is set for 10 July and players coming back from Europe will have to quarantine for 14 days.  The protocol has to be approved within the next 2 weeks.  It will go through a full player vote.  

THat's still a long way off.  They're expecting close to 20 000 deaths in the next three weeks and over 30 000 by the end of July, when the games are set to start.  My guess is, after the protests and the "re-opening", they are in serious, serious trouble.

9 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I’m more wondering what the COVID-19 conditions will be like in Vegas by August?

Clark County (Vegas) reported 1018 new cases in just the last seven days!

CA95C023-4D70-41E6-8DB0-3303ADADF541.jpeg.7775019eb4bc5a7ed8c71f7474ce3b9a.jpeg

To-date: 8314 cases total. 377 deaths.

http://www.southernnevadahealthdistrict.org/covid-19-dashboard/

Just for comparison, Vancouver Coastal Health serves a similarly sized population to Clark County.

Our numbers? 922 total cases. 87 deaths. And since as far back as May, new cases for Vancouver Coastal have been running at <10 per day (some days at zero).

https://experience.arcgis.com/experience/a6f23959a8b14bfa989e3cda29297ded

(And here are some graphs, just for a quick visual comparison)

B75AFF52-E989-4F1C-9970-9F6F215BCB2F.jpeg.4180776e89cb085737ff77415f832739.jpeg

D11E81E5-C100-4239-96EE-B5C411E855C5.jpeg.ad98b566ffa3ebd82d624dfcfc7dae26.jpeg

I know which city I’d rather be in right now.

Vancouver remains a front runner for the second hub. Hopefully our boys will get to play in the city with the second graph.

it's not even the local LV cases, it's the tens, hundreds of thousands of people coming in from all parts of the country and soending 3-4 drunken, irresponsible days in Vegas.