The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] NHL Return To Play Thread (24 team play off, 15 team draft lottery)

Rate this topic

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

THat's still a long way off.  They're expecting close to 20 000 deaths in the next three weeks and over 30 000 by the end of July, when the games are set to start.  My guess is, after the protests and the "re-opening", they are in serious, serious trouble.

Players have to sign off on the hub cities - they are going to vote on the complete return to play plan.  

So Vegas is decided. 

Maybe the league will look to their next expansion darling for the second hub?

Seattle and Vegas just makes so much sense.

Bettman could negotiate with Raz Simone over use of the Capital Hill Autonomous Zone. 

Maybe the protesters could lay some more cardboard down in the park and then liberate some ice blocks from local gas stations to construct a beautiful outdoor rink.

3 hours ago, stawns said:

I still think this is either happening in Canada or it's not happening.  The US numbers are starting to really ramp up again and Americans are tired of dealing with Covid

You may be right, but the NHL is a business and businesses like the fewest restrictions possible and the USA is more likely to win that race to the bottom.  We'll see how much safety comes into play.

2 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

You may be right, but the NHL is a business and businesses like the fewest restrictions possible and the USA is more likely to win that race to the bottom.  We'll see how much safety comes into play.

Safety is huge.   They are going to be completely isolating the players from the rest of the world.  They are looking for locations where they can have an airtight bubble.  The hotels won't be open to anyone else.  

Vegas or area with a hub hotel feel is best option and if they take what nba was thinking of doing the players would be in their own hotel basically and no outside guests will come in.  And if they stay in hotel, eat in hotel and play in hotel then it's is own city.

Other major cities may have hotel and restaurant but not what Vegas can offer.

Now me being in San Diego do you think they would open up seats in the stadium to watch? If they do. I may drive up and watch a game or two!

1 hour ago, mll said:

Safety is huge.   They are going to be completely isolating the players from the rest of the world.  They are looking for locations where they can have an airtight bubble.  The hotels won't be open to anyone else.  

An airtight as you can bubble will help but it's hard to keep other workers associated with the endeavor in that bubble though.  Hotel workers, etc.

My guess is it comes down to Vegas and L.A.

Its all about the families at this point. Where do they want to spend their summer “vacation”?

Vancouver is amazing in the summer, but in the bubble scenario there’s a lot more high end resorts for families to enjoy in those cities.

Do we really want this huge influx of people from around the world? Do you guys have faith in their testing and quarantine standards that they are announcing? I don’t know man, I love hockey and want it back but I’m not sure I want them playing here.

2 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

Do we really want this huge influx of people from around the world? Do you guys have faith in their testing and quarantine standards that they are announcing? I don’t know man, I love hockey and want it back but I’m not sure I want them playing here.

They will be under such strict protocols and will have regular testing.

They will have less likelihood of causing an outbreak than the family down the street having a house party.

I wouldn’t be worried about it at all. That being said it really doesn’t matter where they choose. Sure it would be nice to see Vancouver recognized but there’s really no advantage to playing here.

The NHL's bubble is likely safer than what quite a few players are doing now.

Gaudette found a rink with gym in NJD where he has been skating for a while now.  Boeser drove to South Dakota with a few friends to attend a training camp - for phase 2 the NHL recommends to avoid car pooling.  Boeser also confirmed that he will be skating with other NHLers at one of Minnesota's suburban rinks.  It's the state with the most NHLers and most play in the Beauty League together.  Hard to imagine that those rinks have the same strict protocols as the NHLs.  They are probably also non NHLers skating there too.  Doubt they are investing as much as the NHL in sanitisation.

Vegas players have apparently been skating together for a couple of months already.  In Sweden rinks are open and players are scrimmaging, puck battles and all.  Sweden never went in a lockdown and restaurants, training facilities, shops stayed open.  

Players aren't living in a bubble.  The NHL wants to create an air tight bubble where players won't be allowed to go outside of the bubble - not even for a short walk.  They are going to be isolated from the outside world and there will be regular testing.

Edited by mll

37 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

They will be under such strict protocols and will have regular testing.

They will have less likelihood of causing an outbreak than the family down the street having a house party.

I wouldn’t be worried about it at all. That being said it really doesn’t matter where they choose. Sure it would be nice to see Vancouver recognized but there’s really no advantage to playing here.

So why even have it here. Even if there is a 2% chance of them spreading it to the community, is it worth it? Let them go to Vegas, I’m fine with that

31 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

An airtight as you can bubble will help but it's hard to keep other workers associated with the endeavor in that bubble though.  Hotel workers, etc.

Staff in regular contact with the players like bus drivers will apparently be isolated too.  They will try and make the bubble as air tight as possible.  

Russo on his podcast talks of how the protocol is going to be so strict that the league is worried about the players' psyche.  They would be in isolation for possibly over 2 months.  Even if the country continues to open up the league won't relax the protocol and players will remain confined to the bubble for the duration of the playoffs.  

That's why the league is so concerned about finding the most comfortable venues possible with entertainment options like golf course, movie theatre that they can seal off to the rest of the world.  Players need something to do when they aren't playing.  Vegas is probably one of the most obvious place to create that bubble.

1 minute ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

Does vegas have enough practice facilities to accomodate several teams?

Vegas has several places with ice year long.  The NHL wants complete isolation from the external world so not all might be suitable for the NHL.  

As part of their bid Vegas suggested to put up NHL ice at two hotels.  The Vegas practice facility has 2 sheets.  That would be 4 sheets of ice isolated from the public.  

The plan is to have the preliminary round completed in about 1.5 weeks - up to 26 games per conference.  After the preliminary round it would leave 8 teams for 4 sheets of ice.  

• Cheers 1

I hope that the Canucks don’t have to play in Vegas.

I know people claim that they have state of the art ice technology but there’s only so much you can do with 100 degree weather and multiple teams playing on that ice a day.

Poor ice would be a disadvantage to teams that rely on their speed, and an advantage to the slower physical teams.

5 hours ago, DeNiro said:

I know people claim that they have state of the art ice technology but there’s only so much you can do with 100 degree weather and multiple teams playing on that ice a day.

Poor ice would be a disadvantage to teams that rely on their speed, and an advantage to the slower physical teams.

They are grouped by conference.  The league apparently would prefer that the home team doesn't play at home for equity.  That's in part why Toronto is the preferred hub over Vancouver.  LA is apparently the preferred US option if they can't set up in Canada.  The East would be in Vegas and the West in Toronto/LA.  

Sportsnet using Sportlogiq's tracking technology identified team speed as the Canucks' biggest question.  They led the league in goals off the cycle but were last in creating rush scoring chances while allowing the 2nd most against.  I'll post the article in the Canucks-Minnesota thread to not derail this one.

Edited by mll

17 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Their building's designed to accommodate 18,000 +/- breathing, sweating fans in June. I'm pretty sure they'll be ok to manage near empty buildings in July and August.

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Their building's designed to accommodate 18,000 +/- breathing, sweating fans in June. I'm pretty sure they'll be ok to manage near empty buildings in July and August.

The ice is poor in June and will be even worse in August.

No fans is a factor for sure but so is playing multiple games a day on the same ice surface.

Im not confident the conditions will be good.

Edited by DeNiro