The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] NHL Return To Play Thread (24 team play off, 15 team draft lottery)

Rate this topic

20 minutes ago, RonMexico said:

This is a half baked dumb idea.

Fans in the stands are what makes playoff exciting. This is beer league action. And what does that do to the start of next season? Anyways I can do without some slapped together nonsense like this will be.

Why? It’s still gonna be a lot of fun to watch. This is an unprecedented situation and we don’t get to have the same things we did before this. It’s gonna be exciting to have hockey back in these unexciting times. Go Canucks Go!

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Where's Wellwood said:

The play-in round is not considered by the NHL to be actual playoffs.

We should keep our 2020 1st rounder if we lose to Minnesota. That would mean our unprotected 2021 first rounder would go to New Jersey no matter what next season, which is frightening when the salary cap for 2020-2021 could be very flat and we have players that need raises.

I think its for the best we kick Minnesota's ass with the team we have this year

spacer.png

• Haha 1

'Why are they doing this nobody will want to watch it" - Most common post on facebook. It will be interesting to see if the ones that say that will watch it. They probably will and they'll complain the whole way through. Go Canucks Go........but safely.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Jaimito said:

Not really. If it is best of 7 all 4 rounds. Plenty of original 6 teams barely played to win a cup by today's standards. It is just a sign of the times. A pandemic. Either cancel it like 1918-1919 season or play it. Winning it is just as hard. Every team is now healthy. Best on best. No real home ice advantage without fans. 

Agreed. Still the same level of integrity (if not more) as far as I'm concerned.

bettman said they plan to have a full schedule of games next year. if the season starts in december, does next season go longer or do they push more games into the existing season? i can’t see the PA agreeing with that. what will the player’s off season look like? 2 weeks off and start again?

1 hour ago, stawns said:

I think it's just the "plan", it's still a long way from being approved.

I imagine there are protocols to pass?

I doubt they announced without some consensus it was otherwise viable. Did their diligence with owners, government, medico's, and on & on. 

Obviously having the backing of the players via the NHLPA.  

19 minutes ago, Where's Wellwood said:

The play-in round is not considered by the NHL to be actual playoffs.

We should keep our 2020 1st rounder if we lose to Minnesota. That would mean our unprotected 2021 first rounder would go to New Jersey no matter what next season, which is frightening when the salary cap for 2020-2021 could be very flat and we have players that need raises.

I think its for the best we kick Minnesota's ass with the team we have this year

If I am understanding the lottery correctly they are going to use placeholders for picks 8-15, if a placeholder pick wins a top 3 pick then a separate lottery will be held with equal odds for all the teams that lost in the play-in. There is a very real possibility that losing would give you a 1/8 chance at a top 3 pick. Imagine if one of the placeholder picks win 1st overall, Habs fans would want to tank for a 1/8 chance at Lafraniere than an improbable run to the end.

Edited by Toews

5 hours ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

Agreed. Still the same level of integrity (if not more) as far as I'm concerned.

Agreed, if not even more. They have a lot of Integrity to play through risks, the distractions and droves of whiny fans. They should use an asterix that looks like that corona ball because thats what people will remember them for. The team that was able to focus and win it through all the distractions. If the Canucks win it, they will be revered in BC forever. Do you remember who won the cup in 1959? Didn't think so, the team that wins this one will be remembered forever.

Edited by Timbermen

Considering that this team will look different with a lot of moving parts, no better opportunity then right now to make a run.

Likely the last time we may see some fan favourites play in a Canuck sweater like Tanev, Stecher, Sutter and who knows what happens with Toffoli, Marky, and potentially Virtanen. 

• Cheers 1