The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] NHL Return To Play Thread (24 team play off, 15 team draft lottery)

Rate this topic

Worst case scenario is the season doesn’t resume and we give the Devils the 17th pick.

Best case scenario we make the playoffs and win the cup.

Alternate best case scenario we fall to Minnesota but win the draft lottery.

Basically any scenario can be looked at as a positive going forward. I guess the only “bad” scenario would be to get knocked out in the first round. However even then we get our guys playoff experience and still only give up a mid round first rather than next years.

Obviously I’ll be rooting for option number 2 though.

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, mll said:

I doubt the NHL wanted one of the placeholders to win the lottery.  Feels more like they didn't fully understand the maths and that it could lead to such an absurd result.

A placeholder winning is the biggest headline. Gets focus on the NHL, so I'm sure they're happy about that.

Hopefully the backlash (even moreso if EDM, CHI, NYR, TOR or PIT win) will force them to change how it's done.

Personally, I don't like lotteries at all, but if they're going to include them, I'd rather it be every team involved can only jump up 5 spots.

4 minutes ago, mll said:

I doubt the NHL wanted one of the placeholders to win the lottery.  Feels more like they didn't fully understand the maths and that it could lead to such an absurd result.

Come on now.... They knew exactly what they were doing.  It's just we as fans didn't catch on till now.  If I was a Detroit or Ottawa fan, I seriously consider boycotting NHL for a good number of years.  Bettman is such a weasel.

5 minutes ago, mll said:

But they shouldn't have had a 24.5% chance to win. There shouldn't have been the possibility that they'd get two or even all of the top 3 picks, even if there was an infinitesimal chance of that happening. I understand the reasoning for why they did it that way, but it's skewed--if they wanted to prevent tanking, why would they allow a team to purposefully lose in the qualifying round in the hopes of getting first overall?

7 minutes ago, mll said:

Maybe.

I look at the teams this could benefit though and I think the NHL would rather those teams get a star player. 

Lafreniere playing next to Crosby in the twilight of his career would be an NHL marketing dream.

4 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Worst case scenario is the season doesn’t resume and we give the Devils the 17th pick.

Best case scenario we make the playoffs and win the cup.

Alternate best case scenario we fall to Minnesota but win the draft lottery.

Basically any scenario can be looked at as a positive going forward. I guess the only “bad” scenario would be to get knocked out in the first round. However even then we get our guys playoff experience and still only give up a mid round first rather than next years.

Obviously I’ll be rooting for option number 2 though.

I'd start making peace with scenario 1.  

• Upvote 1

Just now, NaveJoseph said:

There's a lot of pressure to continue the season though. Even if it happens in December I think they'll do it. 

The US is not going to have this under control by December.

• Wat 1

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Maybe.

I look at the teams this could benefit though and I think the NHL would rather those teams get a star player. 

Lafreniere playing next to Crosby in the twilight of his career would be an NHL marketing dream.

Except teams stuck at the bottom hurt the league's revenue.  The league is looking for parity.  That's why they've introduced a salary cap.  The point system is also for parity.  

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

The US is not going to have this under control by December.

Which is why they want a hub city in Canada.
Even if they have to do it next year I think they will. Might make sense that way actually. Playoffs usually start in mid April. If they are able to resume then, they could start next season at a regular time in October. 

5 minutes ago, mll said:

Except teams stuck at the bottom hurt the league's revenue.  The league is looking for parity.  That's why they've introduced a salary cap.  The point system is also for parity.  

Ottawa is always going to be a weak market.

The teams on the fringe that cost the league the most are the ones that need this pick the most. Arizona, Florida, NYI etc.

I think this will benefit the league more in the long run.

5 minutes ago, NaveJoseph said:

Which is why they want a hub city in Canada.
Even if they have to do it next year I think they will. Might make sense that way actually. Playoffs usually start in mid April. If they are able to resume then, they could start next season at a regular time in October. 

They want a hub in Canada because of the favourable exchange rate. 

There are apparently discussions of changing the calendar beyond just next season.  They have to negotiate a new US TV deal and networks want them to start the season later.  There is too much competition with other major sports in October.  The better months for viewership are late winter and spring.  

Correct me if I’m wrong but if the season were to not continue the Canucks would be in the draft lottery no?

Ordered by points percentage and assuming regulation wins is the tie breaker we would just make the cutoff for points percentage of the next 8 teams. (Nashville and Florida would be higher despite the same win %)

Can anyone clarify this?

5 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Correct me if I’m wrong but if the season were to not continue the Canucks would be in the draft lottery no?

Ordered by points percentage and assuming regulation wins is the tie breaker we would just make the cutoff for points percentage of the next 8 teams. (Nashville and Florida would be higher despite the same win %)

Can anyone clarify this?

the next 4 teams per conference that were out by pts % . Van would be considered making the playoffs, so no lottery for us, unless we play and get knocked out in the play ins.