The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] NHL Return To Play Thread (24 team play off, 15 team draft lottery)

Rate this topic

6 hours ago, Nathancanuck said:

There is no way to skip death but we are on the way to skip life..

There was a religious leader in one of the 3rd world countries trumpeting this outlook.

Held rallies in February &  March against attempts to lock down & distance. Encouraging people to be together? Heal & prey! They would be ''protected through prayer?'' He was of course dead by April. The virus got him & was a substantial contributor to outbreak. 

He did of course believe in the afterlife? There is that...   

7 hours ago, Nathancanuck said:

Here is a chronological list with all studies and information about Corona available in 23

languages and all linked to the original articles. If you are still scared of the virus or if you

are questioning the official narrative and are sick of masks and lockdowns, then have a look.

If you want hockey back asap, then have a look. If you want fans back in the stadiums, have

a look. If you want your life back, have a look. If you want your job back, have a look.

Also before you start bashing me as a murderer or whatever, have a look, please:

https://swprs.org/a-swiss-doctor-on-covid-19/

One can easily pull together quotes from all the nutbars and so called experts that all agree on opposing current recommended practices for dealing with COVID-19.  Interestingly in looking at 3 of the so called experts listed, they aren't being quoted much recently.  Most of their information is from early May.  The Chief Health Officer in Sweden has admitted that the approach that Sweden took was wrong and if he had to do it over again, he would recommend a different strategy.  

If you talk to almost anyone who has recovered from COVID-19, it is far and away nothing like a common flu.  

I don't believe your article lists all available studies on COVID-19, only those ones that support the thesis of that particular article.  

Back to hockey talk!  

2 hours ago, stawns said:

so what about a player who contracts it and has long lasting, life altering comlications and there goes their career?

I don't know.. what about a player who takes a bad hit and there goes his career? Highly unlikely and if it would happen

a bad individual fate.. what if the team crashes with the plane on all the road trips?? There is little risk you have to take

in life as well as for being a professional athlete. Same goes for nurses and doctors, no one tells them to stop working 

because it's too dangerous right?

2 hours ago, stawns said:

I don't have a link, but I do have 5 months worth of personal experience with lung damage stemming from a respiratory virus, the likes of which I've never experienced.  It's been 5 months now and if I exert myself physically, as I did yesterday on my farm, I'm down and out for at least two days, as I am today.  My lungs have phlegm in them everyday regardless of exertion and I am now getting worried about damage to heart.  

I am seriously and honestly sorry for that. I hope you will recover quickly and I wish you all the best! I almost feel bad

arguing with you but still I have to say it has nothing to do with corona then? So it happens with all kind of virus? and

then again I don't understand why we have to be careful now with corona but not before with other virus??

2 hours ago, gurn said:

Northing to do with "political" correctness; just being factual is enough.

Just where did I say never leave your home?   

No it has to do with talking about unimportant stuff rather than the actual topic!

You didn't say that, I did and it would be the safest for all of us right? Still it doesn't make sense..

2 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

This is ridiculous and irresponsible.  I am following all the rules - my entire family is.  So if you and your crowd aren't, please don't suggest you speak for or represent the rest of us.

Your tinder friend's seemingly an idiot but the mask is to protect others so at least she's doing that part right.

"The crowd"?  Seems like some game playing/button pushing going on here.  Nice to throw in a hockey tie in though.  

I LOVE hockey...it's a huge part of my life but I only want to see this done if it's responsible and isn't putting people at risk.  It can wait in that case....

And the "don't blame 20-40 year old athletes" part?  It's not just about "them"...there's no I in team.  And players should be making sure there's no covid there, too.  Their big huge contracts probably mean there are some stipulations about "do/don't" if you want to participate and in relation to "other's" safety..not just self needs and wants.  Discipline is part of being a high paid athlete.

I'm sure some people try to follow all the rules, even though keeping the distance is (I live in a city) impossible even if you try.

I know it's not you or whoever but I saw the Blacklivesmatter, I see people on the beach, in the parks and so on.. breaking rules

all the time. We had 10 cities with each over 10 000 people demonstrating for the blacklivesmatter all over Germany, no distance,

mostly no masks.. And nothing happened, no outbreaks nothing.. 

The crowd was a just a joke, my prediction was meant serious though! Gonna be a tight series!

I know you love hockey, everyone who reads cdc knows you're one of the biggest fans ;) 

Have to strongly disagree with you on the "don't blame the 20-40 years old" .. I'm 28, I lost my job, I have to live with the economical

consequences for the next decades?? I'm not allowed to have any fun anymore? I am not affected by the virus at all. I have friends

who are suicidal because of the lockdown and stuff. And think about the kids who are also not affected at all by corona and what 

they have to go through! By the time these kids are 30-40 I would be surprised if there is any healthcare system left with all the debt

governments are piling up now. Maybe I die 5 years earlier because of that. But yeah stop blaming young people for the desire to have 

a life too. We cannot keep doing that forever, not mentally and not economically.

And lastly to everyone: I didn't post this to discuss forever now, nor did I want to annoy or offend anyone. I'm just trying to take some of the

fear away with facts that no one is mentioning of course like the Charles de Gaulle with over 1000 infected soldiers and 0 deaths.

Just remember John and John saying stuff like "the flu bug is going through the team".. like as if it is normal, and it was normal.

Now we have a virus that may be stronger than seasonal flu but all the numbers, scientific studies show it is not THAT much worse.

So guys you see the jump from playing with a flu and no one cared to isolating 750 players for 2 months, test them couple of times,

not allowing any fans.. putting whole countries on lockdown and so on..

Alternative solution: buy all risk groups and everyone who is scared REAL masks (the N95 or whatever they called) and lets go back to normal life!

Whatever they do, they better make damn sure they quarantine AMERICANS,

That country is just infested with cases.Good job Trump Administration.

I said over a month ago,they were in for a world of pain and sure enough their Covid cases are soaring,and this isn't even the second wave yet.

Sorry but the truth hurts.

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, skategal said:

One can easily pull together quotes from all the nutbars and so called experts that all agree on opposing current recommended practices for dealing with COVID-19.  Interestingly in looking at 3 of the so called experts listed, they aren't being quoted much recently.  Most of their information is from early May.  The Chief Health Officer in Sweden has admitted that the approach that Sweden took was wrong and if he had to do it over again, he would recommend a different strategy.  

If you talk to almost anyone who has recovered from COVID-19, it is far and away nothing like a common flu.  

I don't believe your article lists all available studies on COVID-19, only those ones that support the thesis of that particular article.  

Back to hockey talk!  

It's not an article. It's a compilation of studies, articles and political consequences on corona.

Includes Stanford University Professor John Ioanidis, New England Journal of Medicine and

many more and links you straight to the original source.

You are wrong about Sweden. He said they should have focused more on saving the risk groups

and that is what he would have changed. Not the complete course. Even WHO says now Sweden's

way might be the right one in the long run. I know that because my girlfriend is Swedish but ask

Elias, Jacob, Oscar, Loui or Edler if you don't believe me. 

And what is it with back to hockey talk? Discussing hub cities or how many test players should do isn't hockey talk either.

In Europe we play soccer again since 4-5 weeks and surprise no player died so far, no player in hospital, everyone healthy.

Monkey see monkey do. If Trump refuses to wear a mask and treats the virus like fake news, then sorry, no indoor contact sports for a long time yet. Too many Americans follow that Bozo's lead, and haven't listened to what Fauci's been trying to tell them. With already 26 players infected (and probably more), I think they'll end up calling off the season. Hate it. Saturday is July 4th, so we'll see what Americans do there I guess. 

• Cheers 1

I don't see how this can work unless all games are played in canada. The only way I can see this working is if all teams come to canada quarantine for 2 weeks and then stay in a bubble.  I honestly have no idea what the NHL is thinking. 

• Cheers 2

Looks like Petey, Boeser, Tanev, Markstrom, Hughes, Toffoli, Miller, Motte, Edler, Stecher, and Fantenberg are back.  

Good to see a big portion of our guys back and eager to get going. Hopefully they can hit the ground running.

Edited by DeNiro

1 hour ago, grandmaster said:

Still no decision on these hub cities. I guess they are still looking at the numbers and hoping the ones they want go down in cases. So dumb. Forget the states and forget Toronto. 

I heard on the radio that Toronto and Edmonton are now ahead of Vegas due to surging numbers in Nevada

The other thing was that decisions aren't likely until talks with the PA are settled.  

5 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

I'm glad Stech can work things through by being on the ice...he's had a tough go lately.  My heart is with him.

I want to take the sound from that clip and loop it into a full length asmr video. Just watching a few seconds has my brain buzzing with endorphins.

I miss hockey.

Also agree on Stech. Really nice to see him back on the ice. Hopefully just being out there is helping him work through some of what he’s feeling. My heart goes out to him. 

34 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

I don't see how this can work unless all games are played in canada. The only way I can see this working is if all teams come to canada quarantine for 2 weeks and then stay in a bubble.  I honestly have no idea what the NHL is thinking. 

I don't know what the NHLPA is thinking with endangering the players by playing in a ****hole country with worse than 3rd world healthcare.  Any plan that includes an American hub city should be a non-starter given their lack of a civilized medical system and a President who doesn't care how many people die from the virus.

Edited by King Heffy
  • Cheers 1